Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 10, 2012
I collect pop-up books, study paper engineering, and am a big fan of MC Escher's. In short, I'm a key demographic for this book. Unfortunately, it fails miserably on most accounts. The book's inartful paper engineering actually detracts from the beauty of Escher's original designs. Most of the designs are rendered as two-dimensional "floating planes," which actually work against the three-dimensional (four dimensional?) designs originally drawn by Escher. I agree wholeheartedly with the reviewer who labeled this "Flat and Boring," and wonder what the work would've been like were it attempted by paper engineering master such as Sally Hewitt or Ron Van Der Meer.
on December 6, 2011
As a kid, Escher's work fascinated me as my brain tried to unravel the twists and impossibilities inherent in his art. This amazing collection of pop-ups builds on Escher's work, retaining his singular sense of depth and interplay of elements while bringing them into the third dimension. Rather than breaking the illusions that Escher created, Watson McCarthy's designs add a new level of mystery as you try to figure out not only how Escher created his images but how she, the paper engineer, so successfully translated those flat images into complex and fantastical constructions. The blending of designs works wonderfully well. I discover a little something new each time I go through the book and have been thrilled to watch my young daughter get caught up in the designs as well. This is a phenomenal book for those who are fascinated by Escher and his work as well as those who can be absorbed by and appreciate the subtle craft of finely designed paper engineering.
on December 7, 2011
This is a really fun and beautiful book. Most pop-up books are designed for kids, but this one is for grown-ups. The works of Escher really come to life. It's a great book just to flip through and enjoy. It's great for anyone who is a fan of Escher, or loves pop-ups, but is looking for somethine more sophisticated.
on December 8, 2011
It's hard to imagine an artist more difficult to interpret on the page than M.C. Escher; it's harder still to conceive of Escher in three dimensions. But that's what Courtney Watson McCarthy's remarkable and beautiful book of pop-ups accomplishes, giving us a fresh experience with these compelling and ubiquitous images. Escher's work is all about the illusion of what we see and how we see it; he was both humorous and provocative at the same time. Watson McCarthy's book gives Escher's illustrations a life in space, inviting us to both see and interact with them as never before. Her three-dimensional renderings renew and refresh our appreciation of art framed in a new, exciting way. Both the imaginative and technical work in this book is of the highest caliber, making it a thrill to turn every page.
on March 21, 2012
After reading all of the raving reviews I thought this book would be more impressive. Instead it is quite rudimentary. I was expecting something closer to a Reinhart or a Sabuda pop-up book. Where the images have movement and complexity to them. Instead the pages just lay there limp and boring, barely three dimensional. When dealing with such a intricate artist like Escher, it would take an equaly talented paper engineer to bring these images to life. Unfortunately this is NOT that book.
on December 7, 2011
My first response to hearing about this book was surprise: "How can anyone translate M.C. Escher into pop-ups?" But these images have been beautifully transcribed into playful 3-D creations, which breathe new life into the artist's classic scenes. A few of these were new to me (e.g., the dandelion and its reverse-video companion), but they are all lovingly rendered and captivating as pop-ups. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys the pop-up medium, Escher's art, or both.
on December 31, 2012
My husband is a huge Escher fan to the point that it is hard to find him interesting Escher gifts now. This gift, however, he loved! It's a nice idea for a person needing something unique. The quality of the popups were stunning and really bring the art to life. It would not only be good for artsy people like my husband, but I could see it working well for getting kids interested in art since it really did bring his work to life.
on August 18, 2013
esher's work was exciting ... mystifying ... often thrilling.
this book felt rather 2-D despite its attempts at being a pop up book.
we were disappointed.
on January 30, 2016
Good selection of Escher. Some of the pop-ups were stuck together and difficult to expand without tearing. The material used for the cover was padded and reminded me a bit of a children's book, but I don't hold that fact against it.
on January 6, 2013
It's great only as a pop-up book. there is too little text to describe what the illustration was all about. gets boring after you've flipped through it once