Escort RedLine Radar Detector
Package Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$499.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 11, 2010
I did a lot of research on the internet and watched every detector video I could find on utube. I narrowed the choice down to the escort 9500ix and the redline. I was impressed with the gps capability of the 9500ix that can use gps location to eliminate false detections. However, I also wanted the extended detection range of the redline unit. I bought them both and tried them for 2 weeks. My driving consists of 100 miles a day, of which 6 of those miles are city miles. Within a couple of days, the 9500ix had most of the false detections screend and muted for the city driving, which amounted to apx 4 false detections. However, it could not match the detection range of the redline on the highway. The redline was picking up pop signals 8 miles out, and did just as well in detecting from the front or rear. One friday evening I was clocked 4 times by radar, and once by laser on a 75 miles trip. I got my first audible alert for laser before I could actually see the sideways parked car off the road a mile ahead with a gun aiming out the window. I immediately braked and had no problem. I was also picking up instant on / off being used on cars miles before I saw them. A trooper was coming up behind me with his radar on, and again it detected him well before we saw each other. I keep this unit mounted low to the dash to make sure I have the best chance of picking up laser which is a tight beam aimed at your front tag or headlight. I guess you really get what you pay for. I have owned 4 units over the years and this one is awesome. It also works fine with false detections in the city. I can switch it to auto/no x, and 99% of the false signals are filtered out. For the remaining 1%, I just press the mute button on the power cord that plugs in on my console. I would rather do a quick mute, and keep the unit on highway mode for max range. I also like the way you can run with all the warning lights out and use the warning light on the power cord next to the mute / volume adjust button on the plug in.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 5, 2010
The Escort Redline is the new long range champ for portable radar detectors. It has mind blowing detection ability. On flat, open roads (deserts mostly) I've seen 11 mile alerts. However, where the Redline really shines is its over hills and around corners detection ability. If you spend any time driving twisty canyon and mountain roads like I do, the Redline is your best and only option in a portable detector ... nothing else comes close.

Being as sensitive as it is, the Redline is not for everyone. It has minimal filtering, so it is also one of the more "chatty" detectors around. It will alert to every door opener for miles around. If you want quiet, consider the 9500ix which uses GPS to lock out falses, but if you want maximum range, the Redline is the best.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 24, 2011
2015 UPDATE
Please note that I need to update this review again. RedLine's M3 horn is still relatively young compared to other horn designs, which means this is a design which is seeing frequent firmware revisions and I have not been able to update this review as every revision has occurred. As software for the RedLine progresses, it continues to improve upon what is unquestionably an incredibly sensitive horn. Since writing this review, users are now able to segment bands and turn the RDR off, which means the unit has much faster reaction times than in 2011 when this review was composed. Additionally, Escort has since produced workarounds for those K-band BSI's (like Audis) and introduced various hard revisions to both their iPhone and Android apps intended to operate with the unit. For now the original review is still left up because it serves as a mark to show where the Redline has been and where it is today, but it will be updated in more detail in time. It also shows Escort's ability to respond to customer requests, which is something Valentine has not done as well with, and may factor into your purchase given a company's ability to stand behind their product and respond to issues is an important aspect of customer service. My criticism as to the long-term reliability of the RedLine not being as durable as some other Escort designs and the Valentine 1 has not really changed, and user reviews show the RedLine still does have some issues here. However, Escort has far better customer service than Valentine, which is not a friendly company to interact with. So no unit or company is perfect. I try my best to keep my reviews up to date but sometimes I miss one here and there, and I apologize for not making this notation earlier.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must update this review once more. I have since owned two if these. My first seemed to be a defective or weak model, as it performed poorly and subsequently I gave it a very bad review. My second model was the exact opposite. It is one of the strongest performing detectors that I own. It would only be right to update this accordingly.

The Redline has the longest range of any windshield mounted detector for CONSTANT ON and (slower) INSTANT ON radar. The Redline feels like a tank when held in your hand. However, it seems that my first unit had issues. Furthermore, there are reports of users having their Redline (or STi Driver) go "blind" to a certain band just out of the blue. This has been attributed to poor soldering jobs, and these are occurring more than just as an isolated incident or five. If this is a widespread problem or just one bad batch I cannot say.

The Redline has exceptional performance on all frequencies within the Ka-band, including 33.8 GHz (MPH Industries radar), 34.7 GHz (Stalker radar), and 35.5 GHz (Kustom radar). For constant on and instant on, alerts well over five miles on flat in open land are not uncommon. K-band is also impressive and like any detector, it does well on X. It's Ka-band performance is similar to that of the current Valentine 1. Depending on the individual encounter, one may have the advantage over the other. Where as the V1 sometimes struggles on 35.5 Ka, the Redline excels. It seems the current (firmware 3.892) V1 does substantially better on K-band than the Redline. The Redline is also undetectable to any radar detector detector. It is the only windshield mounted unit that is truly invisible (the V1 is not) [the Bel STi Driver and Magnum are the same internals as the Redline but just in a Bel case].

Also, the Redline's off axis detection is superior to any other detector on the market by a landslide, including the V1. If you are constantly faced with off axis radar traps or speed cameras, then the Redline is likely the ideal unit for you. Also, the Redline is MUCH quieter than the V1 in regards to false alerts. However, it is nowhere near as quiet as the GPS driven Escort 9500ix. The Redline's small screen is also very glossy, and in sunlight, it can cause a glare that makes it difficult to read. This issue is furthered by the mounting hardware, which is used on all other Escort models. While this mounting hardware generally works great, the Redline is significantly larger and heavier than other models, which causes it to 'bounce' at times. Sometimes, when it bounces it can even appear as if the detector is alerting due to the glare. This quickly gets annoying and should have been considered. A better mount needs to be standard, such as the optional SuperMount, which works very well with the Redline. The Redline also has a bottom lip on it which will make it difficult to read the screen when hardwiring it higher up (which is the correct way to use a radar detector). This can get annoying as well.

The Valentine 1 has significantly better laser detection, and the Redline has sat quite through quite a few laser passes. However, no detector will give you any type of good laser protection. For that you need a jammer. If you turn on the TSR to reduce filtering, you will have a few second delay with K-band. That is enough to get you a ticket. The newest Valentine 1 has the same TSR feature which does the exact same thing. However, if you live in an area with traffic signal monitors (K-band 'drones'), TSR is a blessing.

The 'ramp-up' of the Redline is terrible. A ramp-up is how progressive the signal strength increases. Ideally, if you are approaching a stationary target you want the signal to progressively get stronger until you are at the target and then slowly and progressively ramp-down as you move away from it. The Redline's ramp-up is more sporadic than I would like to see, as one second you could have a two-bar warning, and the next a full strength signal, but still be over two miles away from the target. Before you get to the target, it may fluctuate back down to two or three bars and then jump to a full sinal multiple times. This poor and inconsistent ramp-up makes it difficult to accurately estimate the target distance and make you incorrectly think you have arrived at the source of the signal when you actually have not. The ramp-down usually goes from full strength, to virtually nothing or nothing (as both of its two horns are in the front). A firmware update could also fix this.

The biggest issue I have with the Redline is that it is perhaps the most capable horn design ever made, but its firmware is still lacking and is almost primitive compared to the firmware used on the Bel STiR+ (which is a remote mounted unit with the same horn as the Redline). As it stands now, the Redline is one of the slowest detectors on the market today, and consequently, it lacks the ability to detect many types of burst radar. Its reaction speed is slower than virtually any other higher end detector. The Redline does NOT detect POP, regardless of settings. It sits quiet through POP tests (see YouTube for verification). In fact, turning the POP setting on will actually DECREASE the warning distances on all frequencies except 33.8 GHz Ka (where as the POP setting on the V1 does not result in nearly as much of a range reduction and actually improves K-band sensitivity and reactivity). On the Redline, the POP feature is really useless and it will just false all day. Turning POP detection on causes the Redline to false more than the Valentine 1, except it goes from silent to a full alert while SCREAMING "POP ALERT!!!", which causes an immediate reaction to reduce speed that is not necessary and potentially dangerous. The hardware has the ability to detect both K and Ka-band POP reliably but the firmware does not allow it to do this. It also really struggles with quick instant-on radar, especially guns such as the Stalker ATR and Stalker Dual in 'HOLD', or burst mode. It fails outright to alert to K and Ka band quick trigger radar. IO, QT, and POP present some limitations that no detector can overcome without situational awareness (ex: driving with a rabbit), but ultimately, the Redline fails to detect these signals, where as the V1 detects them reliably (as does Escort's own STiR+). This seems to have to do with the filter that the Redline uses to reduce false alerts, as a signal must have multiple 'passes' before it sounds an audible and visual alert. However, this cannot be disabled. Escort's own Beltronics STiR+ uses the same internals as the Redline but different firmware. It's performance on burst signals is as good, and possibly better, than the V1. Escort has the capability to detect these burst signals, but they will not do it on the Redline. I imagine this is because they are unwilling to increase the false alerts that could come with the quicker reactivity.

Ultimately, the Redline is the best for constant on and slower instant on detection. It gives ridiculous long range on off axis signals and the 'photo-cops'. However, its lack of capability to detect burst signals keeps it from being the best detector ever made. Quick trigger is getting more-and-more common, and if a detector cannot detect it, then you are not completely protected. Even more frustrating is that Escort currently has the software to detect these signals, yet they refuse to incorporate it on the Redline. If you want a detector that detects burst radar, you are going to have to look at the V1 or Bel STiR+, as the Redline is currently a poor choice. While false alerts can get annoying, it is nowhere near annoying as watching a $500 detector sit silent while having your speed locked at point-blank range by quick trigger radar.

The range on my second Redline is amazing. However, until Escort revises the Redline's firmware, it will remain a unit I own to test but not to drive solely with as I do not trust it against quick trigger, which is a common encounter at where I live. When Escort fixes the one issue that is easier for the to fix then making a PBJ, then the Redline will be the ultimate detector. But until they actually do this, I cannot wholeheartedly recommend it given the price.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 27, 2011
I set out to buy the best windshield detector I could find, and after much research I settled on this one. After 800 miles cross country I'm not the least bit disappointed. This thing always manages to warn me of radar usage at least a mile before I get close to the source, and that's the worst its done. Given that most radar guns probably can't acquire my small car from more than 1,000ft away, this is way more than enough warning. Usually you pick up actual police radar strength sources from more than a mile away on typical slightly rolling terrain.

I'm mostly interested in this for highway use and I use it with the SmartCord Live - iPhone Version, so I don't need the GPS features built in to other detectors like the 9500ix. The main thing I care about is getting the longest range detection possible, and filtering out false alerts is secondary. As a result I've spent most of my time running mine in highway mode and don't have a very good sense of how well it does at filtering out automatic door motion detectors and such in "automatic" (city) mode. I'm going to have to drive around my town and find some sources of false alerts so I can compare the two modes.

But I don't care too much about false alert suppression because the "expert meter" option seems to make these things pretty obvious. If you buy a RedLine I recommend enabling that in the configuration as soon as you plug it in. As far as I can tell there's just no disadvantage to using it.

How the "expert meter" works: Say you're driving along and you see X.,| on the expert meter. The ".," are vertical bar graph bars that show two different radar sources that are very weak, and the "|" is a bar showing another source that's very strong. You see a couple of grocery stores around you so you can guess that the two weaker signals are probably just building motion detectors, but that extremely strong X band signal is very suspect. Without the expert meter you'd be more likely to just see the stores around you, an X alert, and think it was a false alarm, but seeing that there are three sources with one way too strong to be a civilian source across a big parking lot, you know there's going to be at least a safety speed sign nearby if not a patrol car with an X band radar. If you didn't take this seriously then the detector might be more harm than good if you get more careless because you assumed it was nothing.

Later you drive by a huge strip mall and office complex and see K.,X... indicating that you're probably just picking up automatic door and security system motion detectors. If any of those signals are police radar then they're probably still at least a mile away, if not more, given how sensitive this thing is. (Though the distance could be less depending on terrain and obstructions.)

So even if you just run this thing in highway mode all the time, it can give you enough information with the expert meter to do your own brain filtering. If you're sure nothing important in your area uses X band, you can also just put the thing in AutoNoX mode or disable X band detection in the configuration.

With Escort Live and the iPhone app you can also lock out alerts by location and frequency. So if you get a bunch of weak alerts when you drive by this mega strip mall every day, you can simply lock those out. The Escort Live app will remember the frequencies of the unimportant sources and not tell you about them in that location again, regardless of what the noise filtering on the detector thinks and regardless if you have the thing in highway mode (which essentially disables automatic false alert filtering).

Escort Live gives you the Defender Database (red light and speed camera) location based warning feature of the 9500ix that the RedLine is missing. So the Redline + Escort Live is a great combination that's almost like having the RedLine and ix at the same time. If you have an iPhone or Android phone and you regularly use it in the car anyway, get the RedLine with Escort Live package and skip the ix. Escort Live is very inexpensive in relative terms. The ix by itself will supposedly do a little more to filter false alerts compared to the RedLine + Escort Live combo, but not that much. Personally I wouldn't get the ix unless I just never found myself on the highway at all or if I wasn't going to use Escort Live at all. RedLine + Escort Live also gets you "social alerts" from other Live users which the ix alone won't, and you won't have to periodically take your detector out of the car to update a database with your desktop computer or something.

So if you have the budget for this and you're ever on the highway, get the RedLine! If you're thinking of getting the Escort Passport 9500ix Radar/Laser Detector (Black), you probably want to get the RedLine + Escort Live instead unless you don't have a compatible smartphone.

Avoiding just one ticket will probably make this thing pay for itself when you consider both the cost of fines and increased insurance costs. Unless you always drive like grandma on Sunday, this thing is worth the price.
on November 3, 2009
I could not wait to evaluate this new Escort Radar Detector. The reviews from independent companies are way to harsh. This is one fantastic radar detector. The reviews said that this detector goes off every chance it gets weather it is real or not. I travel Interstate 70 and then North on Interstate 75. I pass by many of those "K" Band traffic checkers that set my other detector off erroroneously. This detector was owner programmed for all bands being on and the brand new feature TSR Signal Ranking Software turned on. Default is turned off so you have to make a adjustment. This detector was amazing quiet on my 1 hour trip. On my way home, I traveled Route 41 and again no unusual false alarms. The cop in North Hampton can now be picked up way before he has you. I am extremely pleased. If you want a quality detector at a great price, free shipping and no sales tax, purchase it here at Amazon.com. I had it in two days and it performs unlike any other Escort product I have ever owned. Excellent job Escort on this one.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 17, 2009
I've owned this unit for 10 months, and traveled some 50,000 miles with this on board. My previous experience with radar detectors was the lesser-brands, so this was a big jump in performance. The unit is fully programmable, so the first thing to do is disable X band which is used in very few places in the United States. The unit comes with Escort's TSR software, which filters out K-band speed sensors along some roadways. I tried this out and it works quite well. The best part about the Redline is range. I drive mostly in the open desert, and I have (so far) measured detection up to 6 miles. It has exceptional off-axis detection, easily picks up signals from 90 degree angles up to (my experience) a half mile.

Range is one thing, but its high sensitivity also gives you "around the corner" and "over the hill" detection. On a recent trip through California, I was traveling on a curved rural road. The unit alerted to radar, but some 5 seconds before getting a visual on the highway patrol car sitting around a big curve, hidden by an embankment. This is hands down the most sensitive detector on the market today. I highly recommend this for anyone looking for interstate travel.
on April 8, 2014
The Redline has a great range and good accuracy, however, the soldering on the K/Ka board of my unit broke after 10 months of use due to normal road vibrations. Sent the unit back while under warranty and it was repaired. Another year later, the K/Ka band is no longer functioning again. ESCORT does NOT extend their warranty after they repair your unit if it was repaired while under warranty. Now ESCORT wants another $100-$140 to repair the unit a second time, most likely for the same issue; poor durability. A $500 product should last longer than 1 year at a time and not be so fragile to normal road vibrations. Unless you're fine with spending over $100 each year to get your unit fixed, on top of the initial $500 investment, look elsewhere.
on February 18, 2011
I've been very impressed with the performance of this detector. I typically drive on rural roads and open highways. It does give some false alarms but I learn where those false alerts are and mute them. I need the most sensitive radar detector possible since most State Police in Maine use ka instant-on radar. This detector is able to detect from enough distance that I get an alert when someone else gets hit by instant-on way ahead of me. Maine has signs on the side of I95 that put out a k band radar signal so unfortunately I do have to turn k band off while driving on I95 in Maine even though there are a few police officers still using k band, though it is quite rare. I also have an Escort 9500ix which has gps so all the false k band frequencies are locked out, but it's not quite as sensitive as the Redline. I was a radar operator in the U.S military so I have a very good understanding of radar, it's capabilities, and it's weakness. I always drive as far to the right as possible since the cosine effect will give a lower reading at more of an angle. Being vigilant will also help a great deal in preventing tickets.
on February 7, 2014
I have had this unit for almost 2 years now. It replaced my escort 8500 that i had for 9 years. The range on this redline is amazing. I have had KA detection that was on the other side of a hill at a mile away. False alarms are kept to a minimum. I have only had 2 laser detections (laser is not used in my area was only during travel). One time was when hit car next to me and one was a direct hit. On interstate I have very good range of KA band even around curves and hills. I have seen other drivers with radar not pick up till way after i already have signal. This is the BEST radar detector I have ever had.

The only problem I have had is in the first year I have had the speaker go out twice! I was advised not to have at full volume if left out in car in heat and cold. It seems the speaker can not handle temperature differences and then full volume alert.

One thing I did do was get a mirror mount (http://www.amazon.com/MirrorMountTM-Radar-Detector-Mirror-Mount/dp/B0063N7OZ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391807442&sr=1-1&keywords=mirror+mount). The mirror mount is great and keep radar mounted right underneath my mirror with no suction cups.
I also bought escort direct wire power cord. This wire connects into my power connection in my interior light of car that powers my mirror. I then ran the wire down the mirror to the radar detector for a clean look. This prevents me from having to use the power cord.
on September 10, 2010
I have owned many detectors over the years including both the Valentine One, Solo S2 and Passport 9500i. The redline is by far the best of the lot. The range over hills and around corners is better than anything out there. I waited till after I had a few thousand miles of use to review the redline.

If your in a rural area or do highway driving this is the detector to buy.

It's display is very adjustable, the volume goes much higher than the other detectors I have owned and the range is simply incredible. The auto-mute feature is awesome as well, gives you a few initial alerts and then reduces the volume (you can turn this off) but I think its a huge plus. You can also shut off the 3 LED alert lights which are pretty bright and given the volume this unit puts out make them not that important. The display brightness adjusts automatically or you can set it to a level that suits you. The thing I didn't like on the valentine was that it was a light show at night that can be seen by anyone around you. On the highway you can pick up radar miles ahead of time. Around corners and hills it still provides warning in plenty of time to slow down without having to slam on the brakes.

I would suggest getting the direct wire cord and mounting it up high right under the tinted part of the windshield running the cord behind the trim along the roof pillars then tucking it in along the headliner to where you mount it. That way no wires running up your dash and dangling around and its barely visible when the car is parked. You can run this unit through Virginia without any problem at all. Its stealth and although its at a premium price its the best performing unit you can buy.

The only bad thing about it is the standard coil cord that it comes with it. Its bulky and puts a lot of torque on the detector prying it off the windshield. They should for the price include the direct wire cord or at the very least a straight wire cord. I bought the direct wire cord off Amazon for eight bucks so not a big deal but should be included.

Update 12/5/2013

Still very happy with the performance. One thing to note is that many cars now have the collision avoidance systems which will set this detector off. They used to be just high end Audis and Mercedes but in 2014 hondas and chevys are also offering it. Even if you buy a detector with GPS to lockout false signals you will get false alerts from these new systems. Escort customer service reps said they are aware of this but as of now have no detector that can filter out these false signals so if you opt for a less sensitive 9500IX thinking false alerts will not happen you will be in for a rude awakening. I don't do much city driving so opted for the greater range of the redline but most of my false alerts come from these newer systems. It's still effective but be aware that if you buy a gps detector with lower range to avoid false alerts you will still get them. The range on real alerts on the redline is still best in class but the V1 is also a strong contender.

Update: 6/18/2014 - Unit still working flawlessly. It's been direct wired the whole time in my car now for about 4 years and used every day. Though heat of summer and cold of winter its had no issues. Performance has not changed.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations