Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Style Name: Radar Detector|Color: Blue Display|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$249.88 - $349.95

TOP 100 REVIEWERon September 5, 2011
The 8500 series Passports have been around for slightly over a decade and have seen two major revisions. This is the current, 2011, revision. I own all three revisions (8500, 8500 X50, and now 8500 X50 Black), and I give this product a lot of praise. For most drivers, this is one of the best choices in its price range.

The X-band performance on all models has been great. For this revision, K and Ka bands have seen substantial improvements, as has the 'ramp-up', which is how a signal has a progressive increase to and decrease from the target. Its laser performance and filtering is unchanged. Like the previous model, its filtering is the best in the business. It's off axis detection seems to be improved, thanks to a newer type of lens. The speaker is LOUD, which is what you want, and the tone sounds are very distinct. Like the previous models (and virtually all detectors), do NOT rely on it for LIDAR (laser) detection. For that you need a LIDAR jammer.

The black color is a nice change as it does not clash with interiors and it looks much sharper than the previous silver colored one. The display is as crisp as always and the included true hard-carry and padded zipper case is a nice upgrade from the plastic box. This is a true travel case and great for the mobile user. As always, the mounting hardware and SmartCord are excellent (the SmartCord allows you to mute an alert without touching the unit and seeing an active alarm when the unit is in 'Dark' mode. The frequency display, expert meter, band customization, city sensitivity customization, voltage display and more give users many features allowing them to customize the unit for their area and specific driving. If you aren't a customizer, then it is ready to go out-of-the-box and is VERY simple to use and reprogram (of so desired). Escort's extended warranty of an additional 2 years for $30 is very reasonable as well and their 30-day risk-free trial is also nice given this is a big purchase. Being able to get it with a blue display is nice, although I swear by the red myself as I find it easier to read, especially at night.

It does, however, lack a few features. The first is voice alerts. Some people love these, and some hate them. I love them, but it isn't a major issue IMO. It also lacks substantial protection against 'quick trigger' radar, which is instant on radar that goes from asleep-to on-to lock a speed-and back to 'sleep'. It is simply not fast enough to detect this short signal, which is very common in some areas. However, it is not used at all in others and for its price point I would not let this discourage you from buying it. It also does not detect the 16 millisecond K-band POP2 (it's POP settings detect the 33.6-33.8 GHz Ka-band 67 millisecond POP), and turning POP on will greatly increase false alerts with a reduction in distance on all non-POP frequencies. However, unlike QT, POP is very rare.

The Bottom Line?...Well, perhaps everything I have thus far said makes no sense if you aren't a radar detector person...if that is the case, let me sum it up in a not-so-dorky fashion. The detector offers good to excellent range on virtually every type of radar, still has the same laser limitations of other detectors (get a jammer), looks really good in person, has a lot of features that let you customize your unit for you, and is VERY easy to use. It has made some substantial improvements over the previous two silver-colored models, and so I would look at the X50 Black (which is this model) over them. So in layman's terms this is a pretty darn good pick for most users and is an excellent overall value.
88 comments| 303 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2014
I bought this before taking a trip to So Cal. There were a few false alarms, but overall this thing worked like a charm. It seems that the CHP uses Ka band for the most part and the passport would pick it up as much as a mile out. I was consistently driving 85 and slowing down to 70 when i received an alert. Doing this saved me a couple hours of driving time. This device doesn't make you invincible. You are still susceptible to laser, POP and aircraft, but you will get lots of advance warning for the majority of speed traps.

EDIT: I still think this is a perfectly good radar detector, but if i had it to do over again i would buy one that has GPS and false alarm lockout. I drive the same route every day and this thing goes off in the same spots every time. Sure i can mute it but it would be nice to have one of the detectors that just remembers and ignores where your false alarms are. Still though it's a good product and i haven't had a ticket since purchasing it.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon September 5, 2011

66 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2013
I really struggled with giving this a 5 but ultimately did because my issue is probably the exception to the rule. This is my 2nd Escort 8500 actually. After going to a top of the line Whister (the XTR-695 I believe) for a few months when the 1st one was stolen, I'm back to an 8500 and happy about it.

First the good stuff:
1) Great range. I'm very happy with the sensitivity, it gives plenty of warning time.
2) Menus are relatively easy to navigate and give lots of options.
3) On the loud volume range there is plenty of volume, but MAKE SURE you change it to the loud setting. Just spinning the volume wheel is not all there is to it! I have a electric cutout exhaust and with the cutouts wide open (no mufflers) and music turned loud enough to hear over that I still can hear it well enough to know when I need to slow down.
4) Display is nice and bright and easy to read in all lighting situations.

Now for what I DON'T like but most of you won't care:
1) If you use the regular windshield suction cup mount AND you have a steep angle on your windshield it's very difficult to get it level. I have a C5 Corvette Z06 and if bend the bracket enough for detector to be level, the tops of the suction cups don't clear the top of the detector itself as you slide it back against the windshield. I have it at an angle now where they are smashed against the top of the detector and it still sags downward in the front a few degrees. I'm sure it still works fine like that but it's irritating. I still give a 5 because it's still better then the Whistler bracket which didn't lock securely and under hard accelleration it would end up in my lap whereas the 8500 stay firmly in place even if it is at a slightly downward angle.

Summary: buy it!
22 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2014
Have had to send in for repairs 3 times because of Laser Falsing. Laser Falsing is when the device gives a false alert...in my case the detector Laser radar alert happens every 2 minutes making it basically worthless as a radar detector. Now the unit is falsing again a month after warranty is up. I thought I would still be using the unit a couple years after the warranty was up. Now I get to throw it in the trash...I will not buy another Passport product!!!
on May 29, 2013
I had to send the unit to Escort three months after purchase. I have called and emailed Escort a number of times about problems with the 8500X50. Their customer service is worse than non-Existent. It is HORRIBLE! Even if this was the best detector on the market I would not purchase it or anything else from Escort. Beware if you ever need help.
on October 6, 2015
i live in a smaller town and didn't really get too many false alarms etc. and it seems to work alright..
But I came to my car today and the frame literally was broken in half.
It did not drop. Nothing weird happened to it. It has been mounted on my windshield since I got the thing.
I came to it today and the only thing mounted on the windshield was the top of the frame. The bottom of the frame and all of its components were all on the floor. I put it back together and there is no way that it will lock together again so I am going to have to tape it together for it to even be remotely functional.
I am not happy with this product
review image review image
on April 3, 2016
Received this on 11/25/15. 4months later, I noticed a lot of rattle coming from the radar. I disconnected it and upon closer inspection, it was separating on the edges in the corners.

I removed the 3 screws to the housing and out fell 2 plastic posts.

I do not have a loud stereo or subwoofer, I haven't been in any accidents or anything that would cause a lot of rattle or stress on the radar. It has stayed mounted in my car since the day it arrived.

This is my second Escort passport. I had one previously that lasted 8 years before it needed to be replaced. Obviously the quality has gone down hill.

Very disappointed. Outside of return/exchange period through Amazon.
review image review image review image
on January 26, 2015
Haven't had it long and has already saved me several times. Detects radar from a very good distance. Surprises me sometimes on the highway how far away the Ka band radar is. Also has a lot of extra features for the display. Overall a great buy for the price.
review image
on November 17, 2015
Relatively cheap, easy to use, and effective. What else can you ask for? Sure there are a fair amount of false alarms in the city, but with the mute button mounted right on the base of the chord AND the automute feature, it's not bad. Plus, I'd rather be annoyed for a few seconds than get a $200 ticket. My escort paid for itself after about 3 weeks: I was cruising down a 55mph road going closer to 70 and all of the sudden the Ka band alert started going crazy. I didn't see anything until about another 2 miles down the road, and sure enough, there was a cop hitting the people in front of me with an instant-on blast. Definitely could have been me if I didn't have my escort. (And that's not the mention the 6 or 7 times it saved me on the highway this past weekend as I went to Georgia.) For the price, it'll pay for itself if it saves you even once, so there's no question in my mind that it's worth it.

Pros:
- Clear, easy display
- Automute feature
- Easy manual mute ability
- Great protection, fairly long range
- Different tones for different bands means I don't even have to look to know it's Ka
- Brightness adjuster makes it easy to see during night or day
- Relatively inexpensive
- Nice look, small size makes it subtle and unobtrusive
- 360 degree protection
- Adjustable volume

Cons:
- Fair amount of false alarms
- Can't really protect against instant-on if you're the target - but this is true of all radar detectors

Seriously, for the price you aren't going to find a better detector. I would highly recommend this product for anyone looking to avoid speed traps and tickets.