Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

Color: 170 Degree Viewing Angle-EC170-08Change

on September 22, 2013
This tiny camera supplies a great view. The camera is truly 170 degree view. I had my g/f stand off about 5 to the side of the truck at only about 1 behind and the camera was still able to see her. The hardest part about mounting the camera was picking the right location. As you'll see from the pictures, I think I found the perfect spot where it is not easily visible keeping thieves away, yet, allow me to back up to my trailer and get close enough to mounting without having to get out of the truck 2-3 times. It is also protected by the receiver bracket putting it out of harms way. The instructions were of very little to no help, however, it was very easy to install. I already knew where the power was going to come from, reverse light wire, and the ground was easy enough. The yellow RCA cable connects to the monitor. It was long enough, with plenty to spare to run it from the receiver, under the truck (2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab) tucking it away along side the chassis, and routing it under the cab. I ran the RCA cable into the cab through the shifter linkage bushing, under the carpet, up the inside of the left side panel next to the hood release, and up by the fuse panel along the rubber molding and squeeze by dash panel to mount the Monitor on the dash. Backing up to the trailer or into a parking spot has never been easier. Good luck
review image review image review image review image
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2014
This little camera is pretty amazing. Honestly when I bought it I didn't expect the picture that came up on the screen. I took pictures of it during the day and night but amazon doesn't let you upload pics. Anyways, the picture quality is great during the day. I dont know if its HD or not but if it isn't you surely can't tell. During dusk it still looks amazing like the daytime. Night vision is pretty good. The only downside to this camera is when headlights are pointed at it it makes it starburst like when your glasses are dirty. But most of the reviews I have read, even the more expensive models, seem to have this problem. So I didn't want to downgrade my rating for it. I ran the wires along with my factory backup wires and I had around 2 feet of AV cable to spare. There's only around 2-3 feet of power and ground cable though, so you will need to buy some 18-20 gauge wire to extend those. The green/yellow/red pre-marked lines in the camera is helpful for making sure you mount the piece straight and level. If you want to see the pics i took of the camera quality or have questions about install you can message me at my screenname. Spend the extra cash you saved on this camera and buy a good dvd cd player for your dash!
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2014
This is a great little camera for the price. The two big reasons why I give it only a 4 star review are as such:

#1. It's kinda bulky. Even when tucked up under the tag light housing of a Ford Expedition it sticks out and is hard to miss.

#2. The image quality is great and you do have a wide field of view, but it is NOT 170* as advertised. It is only 135* as stated with the spec sheet that came with the camera. It's still wide enough to pick up items 2 feet away from the rear bumper off to the side of the vehicle where your door mirror will see it.

Overall I'm happy with it. It provides me a pretty decent video feed of what's behind me and there was JUST enough cable to reach the head unit in my Ford Expedition. If I had an Excursion I would have had to add an RCA extension
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2014
Installation was quick and easy. Replaced old license plate camera. Connections perfectly mated with existing connections with no rewiring needed. Adjusted mount to position camera from just above license plate. Picture provides distance lines which assisted in aligning camera and will assist in backing up later. Unit appears sturdy. Time will tell if it is weather proof. Camera that it replaced was having a fogging issue that made it difficult to view objects at times. Updated 20140718. Camera replaced was an aftermarket license plate camera. There are 2 leads, 1 RCA for the video feed and 1 lead for power. Rained hard 3 times this week and camera still not fogging up even though it is mounted on the rear bumper of my 2005 Silverado.
on March 18, 2014
These are great little cameras when used in conjunction with Fifth wheel travel trailers. I have installed one of these on the last two units I've owned and they have work flawlessly.Yes you have to run power to the camera and coax cable to the cab but when you consider the cost difference over a wireless system, I saved about $700 for a days work.
These cameras make backing solo into camp sites a very easy task, and it's also good to see if alouf people are walking behind your rig (as they will do) as you try to back down (had this Happen).
I found it reassuring to see out the back when changing lanes during heavy traffic but fundamentally rely on mirrors, it just a good back check.
A small 6 to 7" monitor works great on the dash to make the system complete.
on December 10, 2014
Works exceptionally well, day or night. In color and highly detailed . There are many cameras to select. I didn't want to get a cheap unit that would break or fail. So, I purchased the Esky EC170-08 because it has a metal housing that is chrome plated and is waterproof. I mounted it under an aluminum flange, just above the license plate. (I found if I mounted the camera with the camera bracket down, the picture will be upside down). I didn't realize how useful it is to see behind my truck, when backing up. The real reason I installed this camera is for easier hitching to the travel trailer. It's like cheating. No regrets. Now, My wife wants one for the car.
review image
on August 6, 2013
I have this unit installed on a 2007 Nissan Titan. The cables that came with it were long enough to run under the vehicle and through the firewall to my head unit. I read some of the other reviews before purchasing and planned ahead of time to seal the unit with clear glass silicone available at my local auto parts store. I did that and it has worked good now for 3 months... in stormy weather and dusty Oklahoma roads. The picture it produces on my pioneer head unit it good and color with the distance bars that help. I would definitely purchase again and recommend for the price. later.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2013
this camera is something else it has the green yellow and red parking grid built in so you know were you are and wont back over anything. its small with a very big view and easy to install love it
on May 16, 2015

Esky® EC170-08 100% Waterproof Night not waterproof at all!

This camera fogged up the first time the weather and humidity changed.. Initially 85% of the image on the display screen was completely fogged over. It is now weeks later and the fogginess in the center of the image remains, perhaps permanently. So if you want a camera that no longer provides a usable image when there is any moisture in the air this is the camera for you !

As you can see the camera is mounted in a sheltered location above ther hitch and below the bumper which made no difference in moisture inundating the camera.

Although the camera itself was relatively inexpensive, it cost $155 to install. The bottom line is that now having to remove the camera and have a new one installed brings the total for labor over $310. not counting the cost for a replacement camera.

When deciding to purchase this camera I did see other feedback relating to this problem. At the time I thought that the person who left the feedback might just have "Gotten a bad one with a defective housing " Nope, the camera must have a general design flaw allowing moisture in or allowing condensation to occur.

review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2014
This camera was just what i needed for my Silverado pick up.I was having a problem judging the available distance from my rear bumper to an object behind me and had been coming close to bumping into things. With the camera and the monitor I can now back up more safely.The installation was straight forward with no problems. I would recommend this product highly!