5.0 out of 5 stars Great once software and firmware is updated
Published on May 19, 2012 by Idaho Hunter

2.0 out of 5 stars No Security Concerns? A fine product!
The Esky 5900 has a lot of potential and software that kind of works.
Fine (not great) control features, good (not great) video and okay control software.

And the firmware is upgradable! Which is important to me because of the last problem with the 5900.

Published on April 30, 2012 by David J. Blackburn

2.0 out of 5 stars No Security Concerns? A fine product!, April 30, 2012
David J. Blackburn (Citrus Heights, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Esky C5900 H.264 IP Camera, Internet WiFi Wireless/Wired, Pan Tilt, Night Vision, 2-way audio, Build-in DVR, Motion triggered, IR cut, Mac/Windows/Linux (Electronics)
The Esky 5900 has a lot of potential and software that kind of works.

The biggest problem is you can't use it from the Internet. At least you can right up until the point someone who wants to pwn it takes it over.

From the Esky forum, a small list of security problems:

1: Port 23 is open for telnet with a login of root and no password
2: /mnt/config/login.cgi shows the administrators login and password
3: full busybox installed allowing you to do almost anything you want
4: /mnt/config/system.ini contains the entire configuration of the web setup, including the Wireless networks ssid login and password in the clear.
5: No way to change the root password as it is mounted read only.
6: /mnt/www is rw allowing anyone to modify the web pages since root has no pw.
7: without any authentication you can type [...] and it will reboot the camera.
8: Same idea as 6, /mnt/www can store any file allowing it to host files for download without the need of a login/pw.
9: [...] does not require authentication

5.0 out of 5 stars Great once software and firmware is updated, May 19, 2012
This is my second C5900 camera. I love that it takes a micro SD card (up to 32GB)which allows the camera to record continuously without the need for another device or computer. I can simply log on within Windows IE and watch any recordings that have occurred from any Windows internet enabled device. When on the road, I can watch live video via my Iphone or Android tablet. Plus, I have them set up to email me whenever either camera detects motion and the camera will also send a snapshot of what triggered the motion.

As my title suggests, this camera needs to be updated, both the firmware and embedded web UI to make it function correctly. Plus the latest firmware supposedly has closed the ability for hackers to get into your network. Please log onto Esky's users forum to read about this. The Esky support staff is pretty quick to reply to problems on the forum and offers useful advice.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a complicated mess, August 9, 2012
Amazin1999 (United States) - See all my reviews
You will need to upgrade the firmware and also the web UI (interface) right off the bat. It's fairly easy to do, though the web UI is still odd and turns a lot of features off depending on your browser. Most controls only work on Internet Explorer, but if you want to view the videos on your SD Card, you have to use either Firefox, Chrome or Safari. Get used to it, because this is just the beginning of the inexplicable idiosyncrasies of this camera.

You'll almost need a Computer Science degree to get this camera set up. When you finally do get it working, your troubles only just begin. It saves the videos in a .h264 file type. I don't mean it saves them as mp4s which use the h264 codec. No. I mean the filetype is .h264, and won't play natively on QuickTime, Windows Media Player, MPEG Streamclip or VLC. In fact, that filetype isn't recognized on Windows or Mac OSX at all.

After hours and hours of trial and error (because the documentation with this camera is spotty and the forums aren't much better), luckily I found the files would play on MPlayer but not very well. As for Mac, no such luck. I had to use a random shareware video convertor to convert the files into a watchable format on Mac. Seriously, would it hurt the manufacturers to use a file format that's universally known such as mp4 or even avi? For this reason alone I'd recommend everyone to skip this camera. It's not worth the headache. Setup is difficult enough, but couple the file type fiasco and the fact that it will need to be restarted fairly often, I give this camera a big fat thumbs down.

Update: There is a way to view the videos in Internet Explorer. There's a little video playback icon at the bottom of the UI. It allows you to view and delete files from the IE browser. I missed it because the documentation on this camera is next to none. And because it's not well documented, I spent too long looking for workarounds for video playback and even bought a conversion software. So the one star stays.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly works, software so so, support non responsive, January 9, 2012
I had purchased this 2 weeks ago. Was a bit of a struggle to set it up (I am an IT professional) mainly because manual is not easy to follow and software is bit weird to set up. But camera works as expected. Can access thru wifi and i have registered for dynamic dns service (free) which allows me to access it from outside of my wifi network. Comes with company ddns but i was not in favor of using Somalia's url ([...] Can access via Android but with very limited control options. Only big issue i have found so far is that i can't upload images and video both to my FTP server when an alarm is triggered (motion detection). It only uploads images. I have to store video locally. H264 is a plus. Image quality is good with daylight and/or at night (8-10 feet). Overall it's good but leaves room for huge improvements especially on software side. Support never got back to my email queries, website is a mess (everything on the site is 'coming soon'!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy..., October 17, 2013
A. Prado "spanish1" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I bought two of these cameras and when I was intalling them I notice that they were not working they were making a weird sound. I checked and the electrical adapater that was sent for BOTH cameras was the wrong adapter for the camera. The camera calls for a 5v adapter and it comes with a 9v adaptor (I'm glad I did not burn them). I had to go out and buy a 5 v adapter (another $15.00 usd each) to make them work. I will update later on how they are working.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total JUNK, September 7, 2013
I have used a lot of wireless IP cameras, and this one is really poor quality. And forget support from esky. It is non existent. I tried contacting them several times and never did get a response

1.0 out of 5 stars Skip this one. Life's too short!, March 11, 2013
First - I bought this camera for the wireless feature. It's wireless but requires a power cord to run. That's fine - but the power cord is only 4 ft long. As I wanted to mount it near the ceiling, that's impossible. In fact, except for a desk near an outlet, there are very few places you could actually USE this. Not on a book shelf or a dresser or window sill. That's the first problem.

Second. Is it's supposedly WIRELESS. My professional tech worked for FIVE hours installing it and could never get the wireless to work. Attached to the computer, it worked great, but forget wireless. So it can only be used within the 3 feet the computer cable could reach. I wanted to video the nasty person messing around in the back yard - not a security video of my office. Worthless.

Third the company BetterStuff LowerPrice. RUN from these people. As in RUN RUN RUN RUN. Forget getting hotline help. They weren't open on the weekends or evenings. And evidently they have ONE tech - who was out on the day my tech was free to mess with them. We danced back and forth with them for over a week via email and finally gave up.

I returned this camera and had to wait 10 days to hear on a refund. I had to PAY for the shipping back and a restocking fee and it COST me $28 to deal with these people.

After many frustrating days - I drove 1/2 mile to a brick and morter store, bought a different camera and within an hour - it was up and running. Why couldn't this one work as easily?

Save your money, save your nerves - run away from this one - run from BetterStuff LowerPrice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the money, could be even better, February 15, 2012
This camera has a lot of great features for the price, such as the pan & tilt, H.264, IR Cut. First and foremost, picture quality is excellent. I could definitely use this to monitor things not just get a bunch of granny shadows, it's not quite hi-def or anything, but it's very usable. There are a lot of features to control the cam. Wireless setup is pretty easy to do, and allows me a lot of flexibility.

On the downside, the firmware is still a little buggy. I hope this will be fixed shortly via a firmware update. The camera can't zoom, which is not a huge deal, but zoom would have made it more useful for monitoring.

Pros:
- Fairly easy to setup in wired mode or if viewing over your local network. Wireless to the router but going through my computer which is on the same local network, it was, again, easy.
- No software glitches in MAC, using I.E., Firefox or Safari.
- IR Cut, night vision, pics are clear in darker situations.
- DVR record, don't miss anything!
- Very quiet and fluid movement, Pan/Tilt pretty good.
- Very inexpensive given what you're getting. A great bargain!

Cons:
- Firmware (software that's built into the camera) has glitches.
- No zoom function.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, good support, June 19, 2013
I have 2 of these cameras. I am not the most technical person when it comes to networks so when I had some difficulties setting them up I contacted customer support. First on initial set-up and a second time when I changed my internet service provider. On both occasions I received great service and they got me up and running in no time. I like the email notification feature and the ability to monitor the cameras using my smart phone, kindle, etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many issues, May 9, 2013
This could be a great little camera, except that a couple of the main selling points don't work. I haven't been able to get the email or ftp alerts to work. These should both be no brainers, but no matter what I try, no joy.

Update: I did get the email to work. The camera had a problem with a very long password. But another problem has come up. After rebooting, the camera will work fine for a while, but eventually will lose its connection with my wifi router. This can happen in hours or days, but eventually it happens. The camera has to be rebooted to reconnect to the wifi.