Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 8, 2013
I don't provide opinions on the movies, the acting or give summaries of each film. That has been done many times elsewhere so I just provide information regarding the transfer of each of these film's from Standard Definition to this current Blu Ray trifecta. In actuality, all 3 movies are quite good and Goodfellas is one of those films that can arguably be deemed a classic of its genre. So lets take a good look at each film's transfer to Blue Ray individually.

'The Departed' is a film that I did not have on Standard Def but have seen before. The transfer to Blu Ray exhibited no artificial grain or aliasing that I could see. The color resolution tends to be a touch muted matching the ambiance of the streets that Scorsese relates to. While I am sure there is a slight improvement over the Standard Def version's video, I doubt that it is very much. The average bit rate is pretty low showing the increased compression akin to a Standard Def version. While the Audio is PCM lossless, there is almost no use whatsoever of the surround system with no steering for discreet channels of foley fx. In fact, once there was clear panning between the front and rear audio stages, it occurred after the first 2 hours of the film, almost at the end and actually surprised me.

'The Aviator' had some very warm color grading in the transfer to blu ray and some slight grain. However, there was no artifacting or ghosting of any kind. Once again, the bit rate was in the mid teens to low 20's and I strongly doubt that this film was remastered for blu ray. Instead, the film was probably just reformatted for Blu Ray without any work made to improve the imaging. The Audio was a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 and, if you are used to lossless audio, it really makes a difference. The audio will sound muted/muffled. Yes, you do forget about that as you move more deeply into the film but this is supposed to be BluRay, the top of the heap, and for them to include only a compressed audio option is inexcusable. There is some use, not a whole lot, of the rear channels as well as some appropriate panning between audio stages but your LFE channel will have a nice long rest with no signal to wake it up.

For the classic, 'Goodfellas', I cry with disappointment. The mbps ranges from the low teens to the low twenties and the video transfer shows no real improvement over my Standard Def version. The audio is also also lossy with everything coming through the center channel and nothing in the surrounds or LFE; and again we have paid for a superior product of a superior movie and not received what we paid for. The video transfer appears to be the same as my Standard Def DVD with some grain throughout tho there is no artifacting that I could see. The disc stopped playing at the end of the scene early in the movie between when he comes out of court and then is shown as a grownup Ray Liota. I backed the disc up and played it again, this time not stalling out.

While it is great to get 3 movies on 3 separate discs for such a low price, if you already have them on Standard Def DVDs, do not expect to see a remarkable difference between the two formats if you see any difference at all. This lack of effort and improved quality for the transfer of these films to Blu Ray is the reason I gave this set only 2 stars. As films on their own, Goodfellas would and should get 5 stars and The Departed and Aviator 4 stars each.

All my movie reviews are of this nature and focus only on the quality of the transfer to BluRay so check them and see if they are of help as well.
Hopefully, this review has been of some help to you in determining your purchase, hope I am on the correct path with a review of the transfer quality as opposed to providing plot summaries.
Thanks
44 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 27, 2012
Warner Brothers has recently released a number of Bluray "triple features", which are available at pretty decent prices. The Martin Scorsese Triple Feature contains The Departed (2006), GoodFellas (1990), and The Aviator (2004), with each film on an individual Bluray disc. Be assured, the three films are not jammed on a single disc.

The quality of these films is widely recognized. Martin Scorsese (Cape Fear,Casino,Raging Bull) won an Academy Award for Best Director for The Departed, and the film won the Oscar for Best Film in 2006. Goodfellas might be an even more highly regarded crime drama, and based on the life of Howard Hughes, The Aviator is also a critically acclaimed work.

I got this collection at Amazon for only ten bucks, at the initial offering. The price has since increased, but if you don't own any of the films, this three Bluray set is still a pretty good deal, as there is some savings over buying the titles separately. The Blurays are not "movie only" editions, as they each contain commentaries and other bonus material. The Aviator in particular, is fully loaded with extras. While each of the films looks great, The Aviator is particularly vibrant and colorful. As the oldest among the films, Goodfellas might be less sharp visually, presented in 1.85:1, while the other two films are 2.4:1 letterboxed.

I also ordered the Austin Powers Bluray Triple Feature for $10, which was another cool deal. The prices of most of the other WB triple features has also increased, but if you check around, there could still be some pretty good deals to be found.
44 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2013
The movies speak for themselves. But I haven't found the special features for this excellent 3-pack - which I just received - listed anywhere. To remedy that situation:

The Departed:

Stranger Than Fiction: The True Story of Whitey Bulger, Southie and The Departed
Crossing Criminal Cultures - on what draws Scorsese to mobster movies
Deleted Scenes

GoodFellas:

Cast and Crew Commentary
Cop and Crook Commentary (Henry Hill and FBI agent Edward McDonald)
Getting Made
Made Men: The GoodFellas Legacy
Paper is Cheaper Than Film
The Workaday Gangster

The Aviator:

Commentary with the director, editor and producer
A Life Without Limits: Making The Aviator
The Role of Howard Hughes in Aviation History
Modern Marvels: Howard Hughes, a Documentary by the History Channel
The Affliction of Howard Hughes: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
OCD Panel Discussion with Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Scorsese and Howard Hughes' Widow, Terry Moore
The Visual Effects of The Aviator
An Evening with Leonardo DiCaprio and Alan Alda
Deleted Scene
Still Gallery
Aviator Soundtrack Spot

So it would appear that all the special features from the initial releases of each film are included!
on February 15, 2010
Goodfellas and The Departed are great, wish the third film was something else (Raging Bull, or Taxi Driver). But you probably know the films. The versions are solid. It's funny, they all must have been stripped from advanced sets because very disc says disc 1 on it. Basically that means their isn't much for extras. Some decent commentary on Goodfellas, nothing on The Departed. This is just a stripped down compilation. Solid price (at least when I bought it).
on March 6, 2013
A great 3 pack at a price any one movie here is worth alone. I love Goodfellas and The Departed and jumped on the chance to own them on Blu-ray. I watched The Aviator for the first time since it came with these great movies, and I enjoyed it as well. Blu-ray format, all 3 discs are in a single case. Discs include special features.
on June 11, 2014
These are 3 of Mr. Scorsese' finest pieces of work, especially Goodfellas! And the other 2 are nothing to sneeze at either, very good movies. All 3 with incredible actors and support staff and to be formatted in BluRay--what more could you ask for--it couldn't be better in person!! Except for the humor that comes with these guys! If you have ever watched the outtakes--I would love to be on a set of one of these films!! I know from being Italian, I wish I grew up in NYC back in the day, my Grand Father was Mafia here in town & wrote the numbers, ran the local club & had the respect. I see these movies that Joe Pesci, Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro & others play in or hear the stories Mr. De Niro & Mr. Scorsese talk about life in NYC, I wish I could have been there or even go there on a memory trip with them!
on July 29, 2015
I love the first two movies outright. "Aviator" is okay, but my particular copy managed to lose the color "green". A large chunk of the movie had "BLUE" grass and leaves. I thought it was my TV, but it was Blu-Ray transfer. And the problem was even in the special features showing those scenes. Strange.
on April 17, 2015
Three great movies for one great price! I couldn't resist. I already had Goodfellas on DVDS and upgraded to BluRay a few years ago. But I wanted the other two movies also. This was a great deal, I think.
on March 31, 2013
"Goodfellas" is hands down my favorite gangster flick. Truth be told, it's pretty much the only gangster flick I like. I thought "The Aviator" was gorgeous. Sumptuous design, dynamic photography, and of course an enduringly enigmatic subject. "The Departed" is not one of my favorite Scorcese pictures, which is not to say I didn't like it. But getting all of these movies on separate blu ray discs in one set for a bargain price was impossible to pass up. Even if I absolutely hated "The Departed", getting the other two films was well worth the price of admission. Step up Scorsese fans – this a deal!
on December 3, 2013
Your getting three of the best movies Martin has put out for one price. I know of people buying just one of these blu rays over the amount you would pay here.
Amazon is the best website for anything, clearly you can see the price difference if you go to any other website or store.