Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 13, 2010
I bought the earlier version of this book, "Putting Your Passion into Print," five years ago after attending a workshop by this husband-and-wife/agent-and-author team. The workshop convinced me that these two knew their stuff and their book would be an enjoyable read. At the time, all I had was an idea for a book and a few pages of notes. Eckstut and Sterry's advice guided me through the process of crafting a proposal, finding the perfect agent for my book, and working productively with the editors and publicity people at my publishing house. My book, "See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers," came out last June and it was one of the happiest days of my life.

I cannot emphasize enough how well this book prepared me for the path to getting published. It prepared me for the inevitable ups and downs (even with the best advice in the world, bringing a book into the world is difficult) but it kept me from having to learn about the publishing world through frustrating trial and error. It also provided much-needed encouragement through some initial rejections.

Now that my book is published (did I mention my book got published?) I've run into many people wanting to know how the whole thing works, and I always refer them to this book.

I am now working on a new project and bought "The Essential Guide" to to help me adjust to recent changes in the publishing industry. From what I've read so far, there is enough updated and new material to make the purchase worth it even though I read "Putting Your Passion Into Print."
33 comments|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2011
I realize I'm bucking the crowd on this, but then the authors are very influential people with a lot of followers so maybe that has something to do with why the reviews are so glowing here on Amazon. And maybe not. Maybe it's just that I'm not finding it that helpful to my particular situation. I have been using the Kindle version of this book for the last several weeks as a guide for self-publishing my memoir after several months of trying to go the traditional agent route without success. I think this book may be more useful to the very few people new to getting published who are successful going that route. There certainly isn't much about self-publishing beyond a lot of generalities, anecdotes, and rah-rah enthusiasm. For example, not a single self-publishing service seems to be mentioned. I was hoping for a detailed comparison. I don't think this is really a guide so much as a lot of pieces of the puzzle but little explanation of how the writer can use them. Nothing on how to select a self-publishing service although it does cover the self-publishing scene and elements. The Table of Contents is not that helpful at finding things because the authors like to use cute names for chapters and sub-chapters so it is sometimes hard to find what you need. Social networking and marketing are described at general levels but never at the detailed level that would help a novice get into it. No blueprint. Yes I already know about Facebook and Twitter and I can sign up and do the basics without their help, but what about beyond the basics. How do you design a successful Facebook page for your book or where's the link to how to do that? What are hash marks and how do you utilize them in Twitter? Blogging is discussed, but no comparison or even mention of the major blogging services much less how to design your blog page. Anecdotes may be interesting, but they never seem to be useful for my particular situation.

This is probably a very good book for people really new to writing and publishing who want to know what the scene is like nowadays. If you are already somewhat knowledgeable about this world, as I am, you won't find much you can use to make decisions and take concrete steps. I really don't think this is a guide as it claims to be as much as a review of the publishing scene. Maybe the topic is just too large to fit in a single book, but I was hoping for much more useful information and not just an amusing read.
55 comments|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2010
From the authors of Putting Your Passion Into Print comes the newest must-have how-to guide about becoming an author. The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published takes you through the steps of how to become an author, providing indispensable advice for those who have not yet been published and do not know the ins and outs of the industry. It has chapters dealing with such topics as how to get an agent, how to deal with a less than cooperative publisher, marketing your book with or without a large publicity budget, and how to take advantage of recent advances in print on demand publishing. Of course there is much more.

The style is welcoming and makes you excited to try and get a book published since so many other guides can be a bit on the dry side. With a mixture of sobering fact and enlightening humor, authors David Henry Sterry and Arielle Eckstut talk about their own experiences as writers, sharing stories of triumph mixed in with those of horror. They talk about such different things as what happens when your book design is less than flattering, or how to parlay a novel aimed for adults into a connection for selling a young adult one. In addition there are anecdotes from other successful writers to help illustrate the main points of the book.

The book has been updated to deal with the revolution in social networking and self-publishing that has taken place in the past few years. Few other guides have been written for the age of search optimization. Writers will learn how to improve their use of Facebook, Twitter, blogging, and a host of other resources. If you want to be published in either the traditional way or using new avenues, this book will help you and will demonstrate how traditional and new forms of publicity can compliment one another.

All you NaNoWriMo writers should definitely check this book out once the dust has settled and you are wondering what to do with your finished manuscripts in January!
33 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2015
I would give a sixth star if that were possible! This is an outstanding resource whether your book is just a dream or if you are already a published author. As the author of some fifteen non fiction books and a series of novels, the first of which is scheduled to appear later in 2015, I found a great deal in this book that is useful. It is a well written gem. Alas at my age (I am not telling!) the long process of main line publishing does not make sense. But on demand publishing by Amazon Kindle Direct, Kindle Scout and Createspace are wonderful resources for me. Written in a way that is extremely readable it is also up to date with its discussion of social media marketing and other marketing techniques. And it tells it like it is....and that is that making money publishing your work will take creativity and hard work on your part. No "pie in the sky" in this book as it explains how difficult it can be to get published by main line publishers as opposed to on demand publishers. Anyone who is a writer or considering becoming a published writer would be well advised to have this book on their shelf of references. To see examples of what can be done through Amazon and other on demand publishing feel free to peruse some of my books on my author page. Many of these are offered free from time to time and always free for lending on Prime or through Kindle Unlimited. www.amazon.com/author/scottro Or you can check out my Facebook page at "Fiction and Non Fiction by Robert Scott" If you visit my page a "like" would be appreciated! Yes, this is a shameless promotion on my part...sorry about that. We authors do have to be creative in marketing! But don't let that bit of self promotion discourage you from buying this book. It was recommended to me by a literary agency and I am glad they told me about it ; even if perhaps they were trying to tell me something! In all seriousness this book gets one of my highest recommendations. It is on my bookshelf of references on writing and one I will be going back to many times. Look forward to future editions as the world of writing and publishing keeps changing in dramatic ways and this new edition brings the book up to date for now.
on July 19, 2013
Not terribly current in today's publishing world. There is, or was, a wonderful niche for experts who charged big bucks to help aspiring writers get their stuff published; but with the advent of "self-publishing made easy" via Kindle, BookBaby and others, even the **former** "Big Five" publishing houses are finding themselves shopping their books on the e-publishing platforms.

That said, I did learn a lot from this book that is relevant regardless of one's publishing-platform-of-choice, and I do recommend it to aspiring first-time authors as a way to understand how to pitch and market one's work in the print sector.
on July 21, 2015
A great reference book for anyone wanting to looking at self or traditional publishing - cleverly written, heaps of good suggestions and examples to follow, and good, crisp writing. It's a no-brainer for anyone writing novels, text books, manuals, poetry, etc. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon September 6, 2012
They've done it again. Talk about taking the mystery out of getting your book in front of a publisher. This is the bible every author should read while thinking of writing, writing, and every aspect of post-writing that involves your book.
This is the step-by-step whodunit of how to write, sell, and successfully market your book. In a fun upbeat fashion this husband and wife team, literature agent and writer, explain everything you have ever wanted to know about what to do next. Turning over every stone along the way, they leave no clue uncovered to help you get what you have written in the hands of the publisher.
Interspersing humorous and realistic examples and lessons on what to do, or not do, and supplying sample proposals and query letters, there is nothing left to chance. This is an updated version of a prior self-help tome, "How to Turn Your Passion Into Print," their last joint venture that has been updated for the 21st Century with details on social networking and e-publishing.
Need to find an agent, use an editor, understand your contract, or write an elevator pitch? The answer to everything you could possibly need to know is here - and a lot more besides. This is the book that demystifies every step of the publishing process and should be in your reference library.
on March 14, 2013
This book lays out methods for finding an agent, getting published, self publishing options and the role of social media in the industry. It is informative and quite useful. The writing style is upbeat and comical, though it may not appeal to everyone. There seems to be more information for non-fiction writers than for other genre's (literary fiction, for example) which is why I didn't give 5 stars, but I would still recommend this book to other writers as it provides a very realistic overview of the publishing industry (minus the rose-colored glasses) and the relationships between writers, agents and editors.
on November 21, 2011
I had the opportunity to meet David and Arielle at a writers conference in Richmond, VA. They were absolutely engaging in their view of the publishing industry. I picked up their book and have been amazed at the wealth of viable knowledge held inside. The topics are specific and well thought out. Their sections on social media and the benefits/pitfalls of self-publishing are well worth the price of the book. They speak honestly about the writing process and the work involved.

If you are a writer working to be published (like I am) or a veteran author, David and Arielle's insights are worth their weight in gold.
on November 1, 2010
Everyone, it seems, has an idea for a book they think should be made. But how do you go from a good idea to a career in writing? Originally published as Putting Your Passion into Print, this revised edition has a new name and a fresh perspective on the rapidly evolving world of publishing. In The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published, Arielle Eckstut and David Henry Sterry present lucid, step-by-step advice to would-be authors, from inception to publicity.

The authors begin with the most important step of writing a book: choosing the right idea. Once you have that down, you can move into building an online presence (or "platform") through a website and social media; finding and landing the best agent for you; perfecting your pitch and proposal; undertaking the submission process; and, because every author is faced with it, dealing with rejection.

The authors then address the more businesslike aspects of publishing. They cover how to sell your book to a publisher; negotiate contracts and royalties; manage relationships with your editor/publisher; and, of course, write the damn thing. They also cover self-publishing options in depth.

But writing and publishing a book is only half the battle. An excellent bound book in hand is useless if no one knows about it. Therefore, Eckstut and Sterry constantly emphasize the importance of getting the word out. Though they advise that you begin establishing an audience immediately after conceiving of the book, they note that publicity and marketing efforts really need to be in place about six months before publication. Don't worry, though; they offer advice on everything from how to negotiate special sales to how to appear confident and knowledgeable in an interview.

For a complete review, head over to [...]