Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 29, 2007
Judging by the track selection, this compilation is an excellent overview of Jaco's important recorded work. Whether it's worth purchasing is another question. Long time fans will most likely already own the complete albums containing these selections. For younger fans interested in checking out Jaco's music, I would suggest purchasing one or more of the complete recordings represented on this compilation. The reason for this is that you should hear these great albums in their entirety. For the novice I would suggest purchasing Weather Report's Heavy Weather, Joni Mitchell's Shadows And Light on DVD, or Jaco's excellent live disc, The Birthday Concert. If you're a Metheny fan you can check out Bright Size Life. If you've thought about purchasing Jaco's self-titled debut on Columbia, then this compilation might be a good choice because almost all of the material from that album is represented here.
on November 25, 2013
Essential means absolutely necessary and also "to capture the essence of", so let me say that the title of this collection is appropriate. There simply was never and will never be another Jaco Pastorius. This collection brings it home very clearly. You will hear various tracks which cut across a myriad of variations from "Birdland to Ocus pocus"! I cannot imagine any one being dissappointed by this 2 - Volume collection of the work of the positively incomparable, one and only Jaco Pastorius who in his short life will have a long time and forever influnce of us all and on us all and for us all! Each tune is accented uniquely by the impossible not to recognize style or shall I even say "voice and soul" of Jaco Pastorius!
on December 25, 2015
This, to me, is the perfect intro to Jaco. It has a lot of the best tracks of his. Though I usually have a problem with "best of" albums, this one is solid.

All bassists, especially if you're reading this and you are a bassist, you best buy this right now if you have never heard!
on October 17, 2013
I really enjoyed this album. Jaco is a bass hero to me by the way he writes and plays his bass. The fusion of Jazz and Funk on "Come on come over," just sings. I hope in time, I'll be able to play like him. I only wish I was able to see him on stage.
on March 3, 2015
Bass never gets much better than Jaco! I loved him when he played with Weather Report and when he played on his own. I saw him several times both ways praise the Lord. Now may he rest in peace and entertain all in heaven!
on February 15, 2016
There is nothing I can say about Jaco that has not been said more eloquently then I can. Having said that just saw the movie Jaco at the Fort Lauderdale film festival. Its a must see for the people that are lucky enough to know his music.
one of the baddest Bass players ever and this compilation truly showcases and it highlights his incredible tone
and rage as a instrumentalist
and his own songwriting. his colaborations were always on time
and this set showcases his greatness and depth.
on May 31, 2015
I have heard clips for Jaco, but I never owned an album with this works. This delivers in really learning what his playing style was all about.
on January 5, 2013
What could I possibly say about this man except He was/is the world's greatest and most copied bass player who has every graced this earth...This is my favorite compilation of his music...Soar in Peace Jaco...
on October 7, 2008
For the first-time Jaco listener. Any Jaco-phile worth his or her salt should have the albums these tracks were taken from.