Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

With the exception of Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves, and Johnny Cash, no other Country artist had as big an impact on the more lucrative Billboard Pop singles charts than Marty Robbins, as no less than 24 times did he crack the Top/Hot 100, with another eleven just missing by making the "bubbling under" charts. And among that 24, four were Hot 100 hits only as Cap & Gown [# 45 in 1959], Is There Any Chance? and Ballad Of The Alamo [# 31 and # 34 respectively in 1960], and I Told The Brook [# 81 in 1962] did not make the Country charts.

He had, to his credit, SIXTEEN # 1 Country hits, beginning with his very first for Columbia way back in 1952 [I'll Go On Alone] and ending in 1976 with Among My Souvenirs. Both are in this box set. In addition, he had 78 other Country Top 100 singles.

So, yes, it would be rather difficult to put together a set containing 50 selections and not leave off SOMETHING of significance. In my case, for example, I would have loved to see Ballad Of The Alamo included.

But hey, what is here is worth the price because, not only does it contain 24 charted hits, they are fully detailed in the 22-page booklet that accompanies the 2 CDs. This also contains informative liner notes written by Rich Kienzle in July 1991 along with many great photos of Marty over the years, as well as album cover reproductions (including his first), and personal appearance/movie poster reproductions.

For once Columbia did something right.
on September 16, 2008
I had no idea I was a Marty Robbins fan. Sure, I was familiar with some of his hits like Devil Woman and A White Sport Coat (And A Pink Carnation), but he kind of flew under the radar otherwise. I do love all genres of music so my friends laugh as I listen to jazz one minute, hip-hop the next and now Marty Robbins, sampling anything and everything to find the best. And this box set is among the best! Marty Robbins had a fantastic soulful voice, highly underrated, and this set shows his amazing versatility as he goes from old country with Smokin' Cigarettes and Drinkin' Coffee Blues, folk with Beautiful Dreamer, early rock 'n' roll with Unchained Melody to standards, such as All The Way, and he does each one perfectly! The sound quality on this set is excellent! There are 50 tracks and I want 50 more! I now recognize Marty Robbins is a true music pioneer and major talent!
on November 17, 2013
Being a big Marty Robbins fan I looked forward to hearing some of his earlier stuff; I was disappointed. I started listening to him ~5 years ago (I wasn't smart enough to listen when he was still alive).I guess when you're used to great ballads like Big Iron, Mr. Shorty, Feleena, etc you're going to experience a letdown. Not that the early stuff is bad; it's more like going back to sirloin when you've had prime rib.
My next Marty Robbins purchase will be his Western Ballad compilation
on January 1, 2012
and I like it, too! He is enjoying his new CD, and I'm surprised that Marty Robbins sang many of the songs I liked from that era of music. Amazon is great for locating items you might not find on store shelves!!!
on December 31, 2012
It was received as described. The album jacket had repeating pages. The album sounded good. I listened to it on my long trip to visit the in-laws on Christmas.
on March 2, 2013
Everything Mrty doeis is exceptional/.. He's the greatest. He gives his all on
everything he does..Playthis every day. His DVD's are great too.
on February 20, 2013
Some of the songs on this album are not available elsewhere, i.e. "Man Walks Among Us". Most complete career album.
on January 30, 2013
I love music from the past and Marty Robbins is the best. Marty Robbins has always been one of my favorite western artists.
on March 28, 2011
I ordered these CDs for my hubby as he is a longtime Marty Robbins fan. This was a very comprehensive compilation of his work & he is enjoying it very much. Thanks you!!!!
on May 19, 2013
many hours of enjoyable music. I just can't stand what ther are trying to pass off a scountry music now. I bought a time life combo pack here while back. have listened to radio since
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse