Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 3, 2006
I was probably playing with dolls when Nancy Sinatra had her big hit with "Boots". But while I've always liked that song with its catchy music and straightforward "this is how it is, buster!" lyrics--along with "Somethin' Stupid" which she recorded with her Dad, I never gave much thought or knew a lot about her other work. After seeing her on "Entertainment Tonight" recently where she mentioned this new release of some of her past recordings, I was intrigued enough to purchase it. All I can say is, it's an "easy on the ears" collection of tunes by a fine singer! On "Bang, Bang", I think Nancy's reading gets to the heart of the lyric and is tremendously more effective than the usual, more popular tempo. "Drummer Man", "Kind of a Woman" (a catchy single girl's anthem if there ever was one!), and "Here We Go Again" (a touch of Nashville) are other favorites here. Nancy can sing anything...pop, country, jazzy tunes...she weaves her style around them all. (And who knew she recorded a theme featured in a Bond movie?!) There's a little bit of everything represented on this CD. There's even some more recently recorded tunes near the end. So, perhaps the best thing I can say is that Nancy Sinatra proves you can have tunes recorded over 30 years ago which are still relevant and "good listening", as well as, today, be over 50 and still have an affecting (and surprisingly youthful sounding!) voice that effortlessly interprets more current music. I do wish she had included "Summer Wine", a popular recording she did with Lee Hazelwood, but I guess there wasn't room for everything. Overall, a fine representation from a talented singer. Keep singing and recording Nancy!
on August 12, 2009
Nancy Sinatra has been a favorite of mine ever since I saw her sing "These Boots are Made for Walking" on American Bandstand and/or The Ed Sullivan Show. All that blonde hair, 60's make-up, the mini skirt and the infamous boots.... She is an icon of that era.

As for this CD... this is a great CD for new Nancy fans. Another would be Nancy Sinatra You Go-Go Girl! (check out the groovy cover photo). Here are some of my favorite tunes on The Essential Nancy Sinatra: All of them!

Seriously: "Bang, Bang," "Sugartown," "In Our Time" and "You Only Live Twice". If anyone thinks Nancy can't sing rock have them listen to "Friday's Child". All of her duets with Lee Hazlewood are great. My only complaint is that their duet of "Summer Wine" is not included.

One of my all-time, top 10 favorite songs is "Something Stupid," which, in case you've been living under a rock, is a duet with her daddy. I always play this one 2 or 3 times. There's something about the guitar (guitars?) at the beginning that sends me.

If you are a true fan and you find the CDs California Girl and Nancy/Lee 3 buy them no matter what the price is... you won't regret it. California Girl has "Saturday in the Park," "99 Miles from LA," and "Cuando Calienta el Sol" (With those guitars... Guitar + Nancy = Heaven). The best song on California Girl? "Hotel California".

(In my opinion) Nancy/Lee 3 has some of their best recordings. It is also the their last studio album. It's hard to find, but it is worth every penny. I had the great pleasure of seeing Nancy and Lee perform at the Fillmore in San Francisco (1995).

Are you ready boots? Start walkin'!
on May 16, 2016
This Nancy Sinatra collection is a wonderful playlist of hits, album tracks and even an unreleased song. Nancy has the ownership of her music, and there are quite a few different collections released in different countries. Being that I have a few of them, I find this one indispensable. It has most of her biggest hits, and offers many of her excellent lower charting singles. Plus, there are some album tracks included that usually don't appear on her other best of collections. With 26 songs total , there is a wide variety of music that spans Nancy's career. Bonus points for including the unreleased song " Machine Gun Kelly ". It doesn't have 2 essential hits " Lightning's Girl " or " Summer Wine " with Lee Hazlewood. Those are on the excellent US Rhino CD " The Hit Years ". If you love Nancy Sinatra, chances are you'll want this CD to be complete. But if it's the main hits you want, then " The Hit Years " is the one to get.
on February 12, 2008
Kudos to Nancy Sinatra for overseeing the production of a CD that sounds
great and is a lot of fun to listen to. She is cultural icon of the 60's
whose music on this CD finally gets the treatment it should. All the
hits are here except "Summer Wine". (Don't know why). If you are a
Nancy Sinatra fan, this is the one for the best sound.
on October 31, 2014
This is THE Essential Nancy Sinatra collection, a perfect compendium of her coolest songs. We recently gave a party near Loch Lomond for a large number of habitual drinkers, some of whom had never heard of this lovely lady, remarkably enough...: O tempora o mores!

Nancy Sinatra has a wonderful voice, and she remains an absolute babe, even after all these years of fame and excitement. In fact, my wife, a spectacular creature just a year removed from sixty, has exchanged positive email with Nancy, who is one of our absolute favourite pop stars. On the fateful night to which I refer, a heavy mist rolled over us from the deep, dark lake, and this gloriously emblematic Nancy Sinatra disk blared at nose-bleed levels from outdoor speakers, whilst crazy Scots powered by the demon drink went raving mad on our expansive greens in full-dress, their kilts swaying madly in the sodden night--Nancy Baby, we love you!
on June 20, 2012
I discovered I'm not a Nancy Sinatra fan. Delighted by the few Sinatra performances I was familiar with I expected to derive great enjoyment from her album. I did not, her music is meant for a more Country audience. Not for me.
on April 30, 2014
Essential Nancy Sinatra is a fine CD of her hits with a few rare ones. Particular favorites are Sugar Town, Kind Of A Woman, which should have been a big hit, These Boots Are Made For Walkin', How Does That Grab You Darlin' ?, Jackson, and So Long Babe. Nancy has alays been very entertaining and this CD proves it. Nancy Sinatra fans will like this the most.
on April 10, 2010
I can't add much to the great reviews that are already here, but I would like to add that most of Nancy's 30 chart hits are on this album. You read it right... thirty. Most of them made Billboard's main list, and a few of them were in special categories (Adult Contemporary, country) as well as the UK list, including "Some Velvet Morning," rated by the UK critics as the Number One duet of all time. She does it all, pop, rock, jazz, country, and she does it all so wonderfully well.
Nancy Sinatra has really put out some really fine songs; and this album gives us a lot of her music to enjoy over and over again. Nancy is in excellent form on these songs; she doesn't falter and her voice is strong yet very feminine at once. The quality of the sound on this CD is excellent and I like that artwork, too.

The album begins with Nancy and Billy Strange doing a fine rendition of "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)." The music fits in perfectly with the lyrics; Nancy never misses a note and she plays with the tempo a bit to place her own stamp on this ballad. Great! "Sugar Town" is easy on the ear; and I really like Nancy's duet with her father entitled "Somethin' Stupid." "Somethin' Stupid" is absolutely charming and heavenly; father and daughter make this a major highlight of this album and it's also one of Nancy's finest ballads ever.

"Kind of a Woman" features Nancy squarely front and center which is quite all right by me! Nancy's voice is as clear as a bell and I love it. "Did You Ever?" has Nancy collaborating with Lee Hazlewood; "Did You Ever?" has a fine country flavor to it that could never go out of style. I love to hear Nancy and Lee do this to perfection--and beyond! In addition, "Drummer Man" sounds so good; Nancy and Hal Blaine deliver "Drummer Man" with lots of heart and soul. I think you'll like this tune if you haven't heard it before.

"Lady Bird" is easy on the ear even if the lyrics aren't all that happy; and "I Love Them All (The Boys in the Band)" just plain sounds good. "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" is a classic Nancy Sinatra song; she does this better than anyone ever could have and that's grand. What a fine melody--that percussion and guitar work enhance the arrangement all the more. "How Does That Grab You, Darlin'?" has a `60s country flavor to it that I love; and there's yet another gem in "Jackson" which has Nancy teaming up with Lee Hazlewood another time--great!

"Hook and Ladder" is very well done; and listen for "So Long, Babe" with that fantastic music that gives Nancy the perfect accompaniment to her singing! "God Knows I Love You" is pretty awesome, too; and I love that country sound of "Here We Go Again." Nancy delivers this without a single superfluous note and I'm very impressed. "Let me Kiss You" is something Nancy did with Morrissey and it boasts some terrific guitar and organ music. "Machine Gun Kelly" is quite strong, too. I could have done without the final number on this disc; but the rest is so good I can overlook it.

Nancy Sinatra will always have a special place in my heart because she clearly gave her all to make each and every song she sang nothing short of her very best; and I admire that. This is a great CD for Nancy's fans and newcomers to Nancy's magical artistry will not be disappointed.
on August 26, 2011
I had one song I was thinking about. I found it on this album. Was good to hear her sing again since I didn't have any albums by her in my collection.