Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

• Customer Reviews

on August 2, 2012
I've only tried this on zucchini and raw beats to make skinny noodles. Zucchini is a breeze. Raw beets are harder. When you use the amount of force required to push as your turning, the feet don't stay put so it's a bit difficult. Clean up is very easy.

It did not come with any instructions. There was no paper insert explaining anything. There are photos on the outside of the box, though, that pretty much makes it obvious so I didn't think that much of it until my sister purchased the World Cuisine tri-blade slicer. It was only a few dollars more yet had so many more favorable reviews. I think if i could do it over again, i would have ordered that one instead.

Here's my list of differences (see photos):
1. the World Cuisine came with instructions.
2. the World Cuisine had the blades covered in plastic
3. the New & Essential had screws that looked stripped
4. the blades on the New & Essential do not look as well mounted

It seems to me that the New & Essential used the same factory molds for the plastics, but somehow is just a tad shoddier. OR...I just got a refurb that was not properly identified as such.

In terms of workmanship, i can't really complain because it works as I had expected. If not the World Cuisine model you should opt for the Benriner Cook Helper Slicer because pushing downward would be easier than counting on suction feet to stay clamped I think.
review image review image review image review image
99 comments|234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2012
I was looking for a "Spirooli" alternative, and found this one as well as a seemingly identical one by World Cuisine (which, by the way, has great reviews). I chose this one because the day I ordered, the price and shipping worked out cheaper. I've used it a few times to make zucchini "pasta", and it works great! Yes, it's mostly plastic, but that is not at all detrimental to the performance. My inner child has great fun making those looong strips of noodles, but since they're easier to work with a bit shorter, I cut them to size as they're coming out.

I press down the suction cups beside a cutting board to catch the zucchini "pasta". If the slicer moves around while I'm spinning the handle, I use my free hand to hold the base steady, while moving the tray handle along with the thumb of that same hand. Very simple. The core that is left over isn't necessarily waste, I either snack on what's left, or add it to the freezer baggie of veggie scraps I keep to use for chicken stock.

I can't imagine being any level of handy in the kitchen, and having a difficult time operating the slicer. Just make flat ends on whatever you're cutting, center one end onto the little tube/protrusion that holds the veggie above the blade, slide the rotating handle til the little spikes make contact with the other end, and spin. Not so complicated. Even if it were complicated, the awesome results would make the effort worthwhile.

If you let it sit after you use it, it will obviously be difficult to clean once everything dries on. I rinse everything off right away, and that makes clean-up nice and easy.
33 comments|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2012
After one use, it does what it is supposed to do. I made zucchini noodles just fine with this. It has 3 blades: a slicing blade, a chipper blade (curly fries), and a shredder blade (noodles). The extra blades store inside the slicer. If you haven't used a spiral slicer before, be aware there will be a "core" left of whatever you are slicing, as well as some "shavings". I just threw the extras in the pot.

PROS: Suction cups on bottom 4 corners keeps unit in place on counter while slicing, blades store inside the slicer, intuitive use, works as it is supposed to, cleans up easily.

CONS: Lever under the rotary wheel is used to push the vegetable into the blade while you are turning the wheel at the same time. This lever is made of a low quality plastic and I wonder how long it will last until it breaks, no directions provided with unit. Instead, directions are on the back of the box which you will likely throw away.
22 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2012
I ordered despite the comments about quality of plastic components and no it's not the quality of my excellent mandolin slicer but I still love it. Works great, does what it claims, the blades store nicely inside the unit. Could have spent more on a steel unit but this does the job for less. Not at all disappointed in this purchase.
on June 16, 2012
At first we thought it was cheap because it was plastic, but it works Great. We use this to make squash and zucchini spaghetti.
on April 25, 2012
I LOVE MY SPIRALIZER! I use it AT LEAST once a week to spiralize zucchini. I love pasta dishes, but have been on a low carb diet for quite some time. The zucchini actually tastes BETTER than pasta in my pasta dishes! Works great, easy to clean and inexpensive! LOVE!!!!
on February 14, 2013
I ordered this item from Amazon, but sold by a retail seller by the name of PORTABLE GUY (go figure! maybe that was a bad omen???) and it came in a brown box, without a proper retail product box. It should have been packaged in a dominantly red box, with the pictures of the machine and its components on the outside... a regular commercial packaging box, but not so. A simple clear plastic bag, unsealed to boot, was all that wrapped it. The instructions with it consisted of a one page photocopy of very poor quality. I am not even sure if I received all the parts that is is supposed to have, since there is no list or real professional product booklet. This shipment was the strangest I have ever gotten from Amazon, it is just not their usual quality process. Made me think the machine is a refurbished item that was returned without the box and sold on to me that way. Now, if PORTABLE GUY had stated that on the product page and if I had agreed to buy it that way, there would be no problem. That is not the case, however.
The good news in this story is that as an Amazon Prime customer, I can return it for free, and with a full refund. All it wasted was my time, which is bad enough!
It goes back to its sender, and I'll start a new search for something better.
There is another seller, whose slicer looks the same, but is sold under the name of "World Cuisine". It's a few bucks more, but maybe that's the one to pick!
I am sorry that I can't tell you how it performs, since I won't try it out, for above reasons. But I thought it is important to give everybody a heads-up for this seller's products here. Most of us don't go and check out the seller's page.
review image review image review image
on April 25, 2012
This device is a super flimsy set of plastic parts which do not fit well nor work well together. A person really needs to have 3 arms and super strength in order to operate the device. The handle which rotates the vegetable is so flimsy it bends many degrees out of position and is under such a strain that it appears as though it would break at any moment. All the while the operator is trying to rotate the vegetable he or she must at the same time push the second flimsy plastic handle to force the vegetable into the cutting blades and at the same time prevent the suction feet from slipping across the counter top. This device is a rip off--save your money.
on July 1, 2013
The blade broke off the unit on the very first use while trying to spiralize a zucchini. If you are looking for a spiralizer, get the one from Germany, not China. Returning the defective unit was not a problem though.
44 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2014
I have another brand that looks identical in the photos, and bought this for a gift thinking it was a better price for the same product. Looking at them side by side, the difference is very clear; the other brand has a smooth, sharp blade and cranks easily. This one has a lower quality blade with visible bumps and pits, and the hand crank takes much more effort to turn, even with nothing in it. It cut zucchini fine, but could not get through potatoes without serious effort. If you are looking to use it for softer vegetables like zucchini or cucumber, this should be fine, but potatoes, carrots, or beets will be too much for it.

The best analogy I can think of is Lego vs. Megablocks. The serve the same purpose, but Legos are of noticeably better quality and therefore easier to use. If you would be happy with the quality of Megablocks and wouldn't consider the extra money worth it for Legos, then this product is probably appropriate. I always considered Legos worth the extra money, so this will have to go back.

On the bright side, the return process was very easy, so I would give high marks to the seller for convenience and service, and would be very willing to buy from them again.