Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Essentials of Geology (Third Edition)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on June 5, 2010
This book is superbly written, illustrated, and organized. It was a pleasure to read and is a reliable guide to the subject matter. My professor said first day of class that this book is what every other geology text should aspire to, and I heartily agree with him.

The text reflects the newest scholarship, e.g. on mechanisms of plate tectonics, but is always concise and readable. Virtually every point is illustrated with charts, photographs, or drawings -- like having natural history museum exhibits right in the book. The large scale drawings showing, e.g. overall views of watersheds, or cut-away view of volcanoes or caves, are the best I have seen anywhere. This is important, because, as is the case with anatomy, this is an area where paintings are usually much clearer than photographs.

The newest features keep the book up to date with links, e.g., to Google Earth images.

In short, if your prof has assigned this book, be happy. If you are looking for a book to use to learn geology on you own, this is the one.
on July 17, 2010
You probably aren't going to buy this if it is not required for a class, but it is a well written geology textbook. The pictures are great and it is very up-to-date and organized well. If you want to learn the basics on your own, I'd recommend this book. It is the required Introduction to Geology textbook for many universities.
on September 27, 2010
This book in particular Starts with the beginning of earths formation and the birth of plate tectonics, and how it is related to the birth of geology. This book basically is for Class purposes, my professor has decided to use it because it has great illustrations and a very detailed approach to the subject. I think its one of the better, more interesting takes on Geology. [coming from a person who had to drop the first Geology class because the book was just words and no pictures] If you are visual and enjoy learning (outside of class room requirements) the basics about Geology then you must definitely consider this book!
on December 27, 2013
I am a former geology graduate who wanted to brush up on all aspects of the subject and to see what had changed in the 30-year interim period. Stephen Marshak's book is absolutely ideal for the purpose, providing the reader with an exhaustive (but not too deep) overview of every conceivable aspect of the geological sciences. The best thing about this book is the pictures and beautifully crafted illustrations. A fantastic book. I urge you to buy it.
on January 23, 2012
I've never liked science. This book is so well written it makes me want to know more. Lots of pictures, graphs, and other explanations to supplement the text. I think I'd read it even if it wasn't a textbook for my class. A textbook that is worth every penny.
on September 18, 2010
This is possible the best science text book I've ever used. It has a very colorful, organized layout with a lot of pictures/models to illustrate topics being covered. My only complaint is that my copy is a paperback, and as far as I know, it is not available in hardback. It doesn't wear very well. However, it is still an awesome GeoScience book.
on July 15, 2014
As an interested non-geologist, i found this book very approachable and full of excellent examples that illustrate geologic principles. Vulcanism, plate techtonics, earth movements, planetary structure and changes all well-described, illustrated and delivered w style. A bit too much around a nongeologic subject: global climate change, was distracting from an otherwise solid book
on November 29, 2013
I needed this book for a lower-division geology course at the University of California Santa Barbara. In our stores it was $50.00+ so I was relieved to find it for $12.00 used on Amazon. After reading the book I was surprised to find a colorful, informative layout which helped to keep me reading through the chapters. The pictures and diagrams are detailed and well put together. No complaints with this text book!
on May 7, 2013
I purchased this textbook to read and study independently. Having graduated college and working full-time in my trained modality I always find a little free time to read and have always enjoy learning about new things or more about things I never knew much about. Curiosity is my weakness but also my motivation. Learning a little more about geological features and the way the world changes around us was something that prompted this purchase. Being a visual learner, this text was very helpful in illustrating concepts that were difficult to grasp. I would say the wording is not simplistic but it is easy enough to read and understand.

All-in-all, I think this book is a great introduction to geology.
on May 3, 2013
This was a great book. Seller shipped on time and had no markings, just warn edges from reading. It also helped me look at the world a little differently now knowing what I do from taking a class whith this book.