Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Essentials of Statistics, Books a la Carte Plus MyStatLab Student Access Kit (4th Edition)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 29, 2007
For any professor that is looking to select a great intro statistics textbook, look no further. This is very easy to read and understand, even for the most extreme math/stat phobes. It is well organized and provides valuable references and tables in the appendices. The author, Mario Triola, does a wonderful job of exerting his enthusiasm for statistics into the text and relating the material to every day subjects. For instance, when describing time-series graphs the author uses data of declining numbers of drive-in movie theatres. You actually get a feel for his personality which is odd for a textbook author. He also writes of the various developments in statistics in a historical context, which helps the reader to remember and understand the importance of the subject matter.

I actually enjoyed reading this textbook and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great learning tool for the class.
on June 1, 2011
I'm taking a college statistics class online, and this is the book that my course requires (I also had to buy a MyStatLab student access kit). This book provides tons of examples and practice problems. I always feel super prepared for my tests after I have completed the practice problems. I'm pretty pleased with this book, considering that I am able to teach myself from it and actually learn and earn good grades.
on November 29, 2012
I absolutely 100% hate this book. I've actually given serious thought to burning it in my fireplace. To put that in perspective, I enjoy math and have a cherished selection of math books at home, all of them of a higher level than this (but not on statistics).

I gave this book two stars instead of one because it does in fact contain useful information about statistics. But good luck gathering that information in any expedient way. The author is talkative to a fault. The effect it has in this book is to hide the useful information such that the reader must dig for it and therefore waste time. In one instance, it took this author two pages to develop an idea, whereas a different author was able to do so in half a page. So I try to skim the book to avoid the useless reading, and pause to take in the main points. However, the main points seem to be often hidden by more useless things, such as him repeating things the reader should already know. The book therefore seems bloated and redundant rather than iterative and elucidating. Much of the stuff the author spends so much time saying would be immediately obvious if said in a more direct way. (Again, talkative to a fault.) To top this all off, the visual layout of the book is more of a hindrance than a help. Good books use spacing, size, color, and typeface to help highlight important things the reader should learn. This book offers an attempt at that with dorky little mid-1990's-Internet-style buttons and shapes which distract me from paying attention to the important parts of the book, and if not for the generous margins, would feel altogether claustrophobic. The result is, it's more complicated than it ought to be to learn anything from this book.

Obviously this is my own opinion, and I am probably in the minority of people wishing I had a statistics book with more (and more rigorous) math in it. I've just never hated a textbook more than Triola's "Essentials of Statistics," and I say that as someone who keeps most of his textbooks. I hope someone out there finds this book more enjoyable than I, because I would not wish this experience on anyone.
on December 30, 2015
Not really sure how to write a review on something you don't have an option buying since it was required for a class, but the book was in good shape when I got it. doesn't come with an access card for my math lab (buy separately, or if I remember correctly, there's an option to buy with access card). It came with the removable insert with all the different formulas and probability distribution tables which I used for all my homework and was allowed to use on the final exam. Served it's purpose!
on November 27, 2011
College level statistics class book.
It is very good and helped me to get an A.
Each idea/rule/section is expanded to the full extent and written in a way that is mostly easy to understand, with answers in teh back.
on February 7, 2010
This book was specified for my introductory course in statistics at IPFW. From a well seasoned reader's point of view, this book was very well written. When I write about a well-written textbook, I'm not just talking about how the information flows as you read. The text is written so that the reader can understand the concepts and follow along with the author's thinking. All odd problems are answered in the back of the book. You couldn't ask for a better statistics textbook. R. Glidewell - Fort Wayne, IN.
on October 23, 2015
As far as textbooks go this one isn't too bad. I needed it for my statistics class and it doesn't seem too convoluted on anything. If you need this book then you need this book. I'm sure it will make your life easier in statistics class to actually have the textbook.
on February 15, 2012
The book has the basics... It is a book for those learning elementary Statistics, but it needs more problems at the end of each section. If the professor assigns the ODD problems (w/answers in the back) as homework, it's not enough to make sure the student truly comprehends the subject matter. What is needed is a web site that has more problems (with the answers so they can check their work). Better yet, is a web site that includes the above and has step-by-step details of those answers.
on February 6, 2013
When I bought this book, I thought that everything would be with it but not the case here. The Disk that is very necessary was indeed missing and caused my class assignments to be delayed because I have to purchase the disk separately. This is very upsetting to me especially since I paid $71.00 tax and all for this product and it's not what I expected. The next time I buy this sort of material, I will make sure that the disk is present and in good to great condition.
on February 28, 2016
I bought this to keep as a reference book since I am not currently preforming statical analysis on a regular basis. This book is good for quick review and probably would be decent to teach yourself from.