4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful textbook
Published on June 1, 2011 by Portalhop

I absolutely 100% hate this book. I've actually given serious thought to burning it in my fireplace. To put that in perspective, I enjoy math and have a cherished selection of math books at home, all of them of a higher level than this (but not on statistics).

Published 20 months ago by Michael

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful textbook, June 1, 2011
I'm taking a college statistics class online, and this is the book that my course requires (I also had to buy a MyStatLab student access kit). This book provides tons of examples and practice problems. I always feel super prepared for my tests after I have completed the practice problems. I'm pretty pleased with this book, considering that I am able to teach myself from it and actually learn and earn good grades.

2.0 out of 5 stars Essentials of Statistics, or "How I Learned to Hate Statistics", November 29, 2012

I gave this book two stars instead of one because it does in fact contain useful information about statistics. But good luck gathering that information in any expedient way. The author is talkative to a fault. The effect it has in this book is to hide the useful information such that the reader must dig for it and therefore waste time. In one instance, it took this author two pages to develop an idea, whereas a different author was able to do so in half a page. So I try to skim the book to avoid the useless reading, and pause to take in the main points. However, the main points seem to be often hidden by more useless things, such as him repeating things the reader should already know. The book therefore seems bloated and redundant rather than iterative and elucidating. Much of the stuff the author spends so much time saying would be immediately obvious if said in a more direct way. (Again, talkative to a fault.) To top this all off, the visual layout of the book is more of a hindrance than a help. Good books use spacing, size, color, and typeface to help highlight important things the reader should learn. This book offers an attempt at that with dorky little mid-1990's-Internet-style buttons and shapes which distract me from paying attention to the important parts of the book, and if not for the generous margins, would feel altogether claustrophobic. The result is, it's more complicated than it ought to be to learn anything from this book.

Obviously this is my own opinion, and I am probably in the minority of people wishing I had a statistics book with more (and more rigorous) math in it. I've just never hated a textbook more than Triola's "Essentials of Statistics," and I say that as someone who keeps most of his textbooks. I hope someone out there finds this book more enjoyable than I, because I would not wish this experience on anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad not great, June 29, 2013
this book does not give great detail on how to do problems using calculator it mainly talks about using stats disk.

5.0 out of 5 stars very clear wonderful text book for statistics class, November 27, 2011
College level statistics class book.
It is very good and helped me to get an A.
Each idea/rule/section is expanded to the full extent and written in a way that is mostly easy to understand, with answers in teh back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, May 30, 2013
This book explained Statistics very well, great examples of how to calculate the different problems. It went into great detail.

2.0 out of 5 stars Class Material, February 4, 2011
I purchased this book for a class that I am currently taking. So far this book is very confusing. The author seeems to contradict him/her self and leaves the review questions way to open. I should be able to draw a conclusion to the question asked, but so far several of them have been left for interpretation. I may be wrong, but I believe any book that is ment to teach something should draw a conclusive line to what is or is not and this book in my opinion does not do this.

5.0 out of 5 stars come on time w/ CD, August 11, 2012
i put 5 stars cuz i got the book on time for school. i mainly wanted to write a review to just let people know that the book came with the CD, witch is good cuz it never really said it would or wouldn't come with it and that would have been a huge issue for me if it didn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great condition as, July 12, 2014
Very helpful when taking a fast-pace summer course. Filled me in on key equations when I didn't quite catch what the professor said. Great condition as well

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of work, for the same problems, June 20, 2014
Beth M. (Southern California) - See all my reviews
I must admit, I loathe anything related to math... So you may want to take my post with a grain of salt...

With that said, I found that this text had way too many assignment questions, for basically the same problem. My professor would assign 1/4th of the questions that were in each chapter, as he also believed there was just too much work in the book.

The text was fairly decent, though. The author tried to explain Statistics to those of us who are math-deficient... But I also felt that the text jumped around quite a bit.

All I can say is, I passed the class, and I'm glad I'm finally done with math!!

1.0 out of 5 stars FAKE CD, May 18, 2014
Does not come with code for online math lab but does come with cd for stat cruch wich is knock off excell

Essentials of Statistics, Books a la Carte Plus MyStatLab Student Access Kit (4th Edition)
$122.00 $115.90