5.0 out of 5 stars All the Essentials Are Here
Published on October 15, 2009 by Robert L. Spray Jr.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as helpful as I had hoped for
Published on November 29, 2011 by Chris Bowerman

5.0 out of 5 stars All the Essentials Are Here, October 15, 2009
Robert L. Spray Jr. (Fort Smith, Arkansas) - See all my reviews
The Essentials series continues, this time for WAIS-IV. Comprehensive, thoughtful, and based on good theory and research, the authors cover every aspect of WAIS-IV construction, administration, and interpretation. PLUS... there is a bonus this time.... a CD with software to do all the STEPS calculations for you! Wish we could get this for WISC-IV. Highly recommended for clinicians using the WAIS-IV.

4.0 out of 5 stars WAIS-IV assessment book helpful, somewhat, May 10, 2011
I ordered this book hoping to get assistance in making sense of the large amount of data generated by administering and scoring the test, following my first administration. One attraction of the book was that it comes with a CD program that interprets the data, once you have calculated and entered the standard scores. I wrongly assumed that the program would do automatically what the test manual prescribes for hand-scoring. (The publisher's available scoring program is rather expensive for the number of tests I administer.)
I had some difficulty opening the program, getting error messages. I contacted Wiley IT support and they were helpful in solving the problem.
I had started writing my report before I received the book. When I ran the test scores through the program, for comparison, I soon realized that some of the interpretation methodology differed from that described in the WAIS-IV manual. For example, the criteria for determining if there are significant differences between subtests within an index, (which according to the book renders an index "not interpretable") are different. The method in the book has a higher numeric level required for significant differences.
That led to some confusion on my part on how to and whether to combine the two approaches or stick with one, which I finally resolved by determining which was more helpful for making recommendations for the client.
If you are comfortable with the various statistical underpinnings of test interpretation and want to do in-depth interpretation, you will probably like this book. It offers an alternative, 5-index approach called the Keith method, in addition to the WAIS 4-index approach. It also offers additional clinical clusters based on various theoretical models of intelligence.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as helpful as I had hoped for, November 29, 2011
Upon interpreting a WAIS-IV for my practicum assessment, I utilized this book and found it to be more confusing than helpful. It starts our seemingly simple, but the further it got into certain variables and calculations, it made the steps complicated and difficult to differentiate which way to go (they give you two options based on X, Y, and Z variables and calculations. I found it much easier to use the Psychological Handbook of Assessment by Groth-Marnat. That is a terrific book and an essential for any practicing psychologist, especially students learning assessment and report writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3, 2014
This review is from: Essentials of WAIS-IV Assessment (Essentials of Psychological Assessment) (Paperback)
great book and it lays out the requirements for the WAIS-IV

5.0 out of 5 stars Essentials of WAIS-IV Assessment (Essentials of Psychological Assessment, May 22, 2014
It is very helpful in providing information on the interpretation of the WAIS IV. The appendices are very helpful as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, April 17, 2014
Quite useful book, lots of pointers, the step by step guide is quite clear and makes you organize the interpretation into something very interesting. However the kindle version doesn't have the appendices available which is confusing when reading it, as those are in the CD, and it does make me wonder if I could get the whole thing or only with the paperback version??

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for students, January 10, 2014
This was great while learning how to administer and score the WAIS-IV. It is also helpful when using the test in the field.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, December 15, 2013
I hate this book. I thought it would help me score WAIS, and it does absolutely none of that. You are better off just studying the WAIS manuals. The only good thing is the CD, which actually makes things easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, October 27, 2013
Really essential to score and interpret the WAIS-IV.
For students and trainers; to get a deeper interpretation of the profile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, October 20, 2013
Good buy for psychology students. Very informative. I would recommend it. Book was in mint condition when I received it. Worth the money

Essentials of WAIS-IV Assessment (Essentials of Psychological Assessment)
Essentials of WAIS-IV Assessment (Essentials of Psychological Assessment) by Alan S. Kaufman (Paperback - December 4, 2012)
$50.00 $34.21