Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on March 27, 2011
This filter is hard to find, as the other reviewers state. It does not come ring shaped. Rather, it is shipped flat, with a couple of folds. You have to reshape it to fit in the humidifier.
Also, it is a tad small. You cannot form a complete ring with it. That probably reduces the dust reduction factor of the humidifier, which is one of advertised factors in the listing ("virtually eliminates dust").

However, since the original filter that came with the humidifier was a perfect ring of the perfect size, the customer is being short changed with this product. There seems to be no alternative to it, however.

Update: I recently (Mar 24) purchased two MAF-2 Essick Filters at homedepot.com less expensive and exactly the right shape and size. Fit easily into the humidifier just like the original one. So, I would say, get this only if the homedepot one isn't available.
on January 21, 2014
We purchased this filter to replace a universal filter in our mothers Essick MA0800 Humidifier. The old universal filter that was bought for her at Lowes had a light fabric type outer wrap & she had to cut it & piece it together to mark it fit. This old filter was terrible, her humidifier would run for days without using up any water. The worst part was that it developed mold on the bottom edges & she & her daughter had been having recurring illness. It also was the cause of her apartment smelling like a locker room (in her words). We installed this filter in her humidifier after cleaning it with Peroxide & also bought her some bacteriostat to add to the water. The humidifier is happy again & working like new again. Be careful when substituting the original filter with a universal filter, if the universal filter has a fabric outer lining watch your humidifier carefully. She thought she was going to need a new humidifier, but now she is very happy. The original filter is a Essick MAF2 and is round in shape out of the box, not flat.
on December 19, 2011
I love my Essick Air humidifier, but am seriously displeased with the absurd price for these filters. The margins on something like this must be in the stratosphere. Also, I am beginning to question the design of the humidifier itself. It is impossible, especially given the use of water decontaminant, that the impurities that clog the filter simply materialize like magic in the water. They come from the room atmosphere itself. The degree to which the MA0800 is exposed is unnecessarily high and causes additional impurities to be pulled in by the inspiration of the fan, clogging the filter (which is not high enough to prevent these same impurities from being kicked right back out into the air) to just collect filth faster, leading it to clog and prevent the humidifier to function effectively.

The box indicates that the filter should be changed "once per season." This is nonsense. The first filter clogged to the point of basically rendering the humidifier totally ineffective after only a month. It worked flawlessly again as soon as the filter was replaced, but I'm pretty dismayed at having to order more of these things after such a short time. There is nothing extraordinary about the room I've got this thing in, nor is the water I'm using (purified tap) particularly hard. Within a few months, I will easily spend more on filters than I did on the humidifier itself. Pretty ridiculous and annoying.
44 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2012
If you want your humidifier filters to last longer, then use filtered water and an additive to the water to prevent bacteria, as well as mineral build up. We use Golden Solution Combination by Vista Solutions. And if you want to pay a much cheaper price for these filters, go to Lowe's and look for IDYLIS Universal filters. They are currently $8.98 each. We have an Essick Moist Air Humidifier model 12010, and these filters fit fine, though they are boxed flat and have to be shaped...
on June 24, 2014
It's the direct replacement for my humidifier and there's little choice on what else I can buy. It does the job for a full winter's worth of humidifying my apartment. I wish it was easily cleaned to get some of the iron deposits off of it though. Any attempts to put it through a dishwasher or washing machine will reduce it to pulp.
on March 23, 2011
Unfortunately, I can;t get the filter in the local stores any longer. However, this buy was essentially fair priced, and filter works as usual. I like the humidifier, so I like this filter to help me keeping it running.
on February 12, 2016
This is the correct filter for my humidifier. With that being said the choice in packaging for this product sucks. Sending a filter that is suppose to be round in a flat box is a horrible decision. It basically makes proper installation of this filter impossible. I got the thing to work and serve its purpose, but i know that since it is not perfectly round that the plastic molding is designed for, it is not installed correctly. If this thing is going to be advertised as the exact replacement for the MA0800 humidifier, then you need to change the way it is packaged. Otherwise this is just a generic universal filter in my opinion.
on January 5, 2013
If you clean you unit often this filter will fall apart from handling it once it's been wet and it gets a lot of build up at the top from the minerals in the water. Some filters have metal reinforcement and that may help prolong the filter but this doesn't. Just play on buying one or two a month. I add a tsp of bleach to my holding tank every other fill and that seems to keep the bottom part clean and don't have to take it apart to clean every couple days.
on February 15, 2016
I really don't get how most people write such whiny reviews about products that have nothing to do with the product itself. Wrong size? You probably bought the wrong filter. Don't like the price? You should have looked at replacement filters before purchasing your humidifier. Not happy with the seller? Leave them bad feedback, don't tell me about that here unless you mention the exact seller so I can avoid them.

We've had our humidifier for a few years now and we live practically on the Canadian border. Ambient air temp last night was -1 F (last year at this time is was -10 F). At those temps the air is very dry and I fill our humidifier about every 6 hours. I've also tried lots of different filters, the mineral additive stuff, and cleaning them. Our water is also fairly hard. So here is my take on these filters:

Get the the name brand Aircare filter, anything else won't last. The Aircare filter does not have a bad smell, as some reviewers have mentioned, and its a perfect fit for the units its designed for. Maybe some sellers are passing off cheapo filters for Aircare ones, I bought mine directly from Amazon. Yeah, so they might be a little stiff when dry and in the packaging but it really is no big deal. Install it dry, or pre-soak it, either way works and it is an equal small pain to install. I've also purchased a variety of filters from Home Depot and homedepot.com. Again unless its the Aircare brand (which is not stocked in our local stores) they are junk and only last a few weeks at most, even with the tips I listed below.

The best tips I can give besides to go with the Aircare brand filter are: 1) Do not let the filter dry out. I've found once the minerals dry into the filter it doesn't like to absorb water anymore. Don't let your humidifier run out of water. The cheapo filters are even worse for this. 2) If your filter is starting to get mineral build up soak it in water and white vinegar. The sooner you do this the better and it really works. I should take photos to show it but I'm too lazy. Cleaning cheapo filters doesn't seem to work as well as it does on the Aircare. I've tried other vinegars too but I don't think they worked as well so use the white vinegar. 3) The mineral additives do help but I'm not sure they justify the extra price and they don't work all that great from my experience. They also make the bottom tray all slimely and I never did figure out what the stuff is or if its safe. I tried the additive with a cheapo filter and still only got a few weeks out of it. I only use hot water to fill the tank because I read the hot water tank can help remove minerals. Doesn't make a ton of sense but it why not try it? I also flip the filter over every so often or after cleaning it with white vinegar. Some of these tips are not exactly confirmed but it doesn't hurt to try. Maybe someone else can confirm some of these ideas.
on January 17, 2016
Update. So it appears the packaging changed since my last purchase, because this now comes in s small box and the filter is mostly flat despite needing to be round when in the humidifier.
With a lot of manipulation, this can be achieved, but what a pain.
review image review image review image