4.0 out of 5 stars Great little toy multirotor.
I am a dedicated flyboy and subscribe to the all the RC helicopter magazines. I have built my own "large scale" multirotors including a 700mm Hexcopter. I say this so you know that I consider this a serious hobby and I have a lot of experience in it.

Published 8 months ago by Bryan Lyon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, Bad, and Ugly *Added stars!
I really liked this device when it worked. I never crashed it hard or abused it, nor had it been exposed to any damaging elements. I absolutely was thrilled by it, and that's what makes it so hard to leave negative feedback.

Published 6 months ago by Bill Courtney

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little toy multirotor., November 11, 2013
This review is from: Estes 4606 Proto X Nano R/C Quadcopter (Colors Vary, Black or White) (Toy)

This is the smallest and one of the most fun multirotors I've every played with. It's 2"x2" and flies WAY better than you'd expect anything that size has a right to. The gyro keeps it very stable yet it's very quick when you press on the sticks.

The controller is a full 4 channel 2.4ghz digital radio transmitter. This is not some cheap infrared transmitter that you can't use with the blinds up. It responds quickly to the controls and there is a "trim" option on the right stick (Though with the gyro you'll actually never want to use that.) The sticks are very stiff, but with a bit of working them in you should be able to loosen them up.

Flight time is about 4-6 minutes and charge time is about 40 minutes with the included USB charger. There is no removable or replaceable battery so you can't swap batteries to keep flying. However, anyone with soldering experience could modify it for a micro li-po battery such as used in the M-cPX enabling you to dramatically increase flight opportunities. (Do not try this if you're not sure you're capable of it because Li-pos can be dangerous.)

It has some very bright LEDs to provide orientation. Red in the back and Blue in the front. They also serve to warn you of dead batteries and will flash when it's time to land.

Some Caveats:

This is a toy, there are no replacement parts available, when you break it (and trust me, even complete pros will eventually) your only option is to buy a whole new one. The arms holding the motors are part of the main circuit board and are not replaceable or repairable if you damage them.

It's for indoor use only. You cannot take something this size outside and expect it to be in any way reliable.

While this is a toy, it's not for children. I'd put the minimum age for this at 13. Period. This is not something to buy for a 6 year old, as it wont last more than a day in their hands.

Finally, the transmitter requires 2 AAA batteries which are not included in the box. Make sure you include batteries if giving it as a gift.

Update:

Almost 4 months into owning this wonderful little quadcopter, I finally experienced a crash bad enough to damage it. After the crash, the board was bent. I very carefully bent it back and it still flies. The attached LED however no longer works and it does have a slight spin that wasn't there before. That said, it's still one of my favorite quads and I still love it. I just wish even more than I could get replacement parts of it. Still recommended and I do not change my opinion one bit since I knew going in that eventually this would happen. 4 months without replacement parts is very good for anything that flies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, Bad, and Ugly *Added stars!, January 4, 2014

But, I must. Only three days into ownership, the right rear motor suddenly crapped out mid flight, and it hasn't flown since. I've tried replacing the batteries in the controller, resetting the gyros, making sure there is no hair wrapped in the motor, but it's simply dead.

The worst part about it all, is that I've been ignored by Hobbico (the people responsible for the 90 day warranty). Estes responded to say that they don't manufacture this device, and that I should call Hobbico. The seller, RC-City-Online, refuses to replace the unit because I was honest about it working when I received it, but suggest I contact Great Planes warranty repair service to get help with it. I will try that, and update this review if possible with better feedback, but right now, I'm very disappointed with the whole ordeal.

I can only say that this is one of the coolest toys I've ever owned, but it was entirely too short-lived to earn its price tag with the limited use I got from it, and not getting any help regarding the 90 day warranty from Hobbico, Estes, nor the seller is beyond frustrating. I'd love to have another of these, but I won't drop another $40 for a potentially frail product, and I definitely will steer clear of RC-City-Online in the future.

****EDIT 1/6/2014****
Thanks, Tim Kimzey, for your suggestion, didn't think of that, but I imagine it would probably amount to a refund? Was hoping for a replacement.

Reason why I'm editing is that I've found a hobby retailer near enough to get to and bought a second Proto X. I'll keep my first one for spare parts if it turns out that I can't get it fixed for whatever reason, but I still want to try to get it repaired or replaced, rather than sit on my shelf waiting to be stripped. Obviously have changed my mind about the value of this copter ... the longer I went without it the more I wanted one. That's the problem with the Proto X; it's cheap enough to be considered disposable, as someone else said, but costly enough to make me cringe about $80+ for a working unit and a non working spare.

****EDIT 1/9/2014****
Hobbico did finally respond to my email after 7 days, which isn't too horrible I suppose. I won't speculate on the reasons for the delay. The really good news is that they're sending me a new unit, and for that reason I've upgraded the product's rating to 4 stars, as I would have rated it before the snafu panic. Might've been resolved sooner if I could've called Hobbico rather than sending an email, but I can't do long distance, so I'll never know. Sorry for the length and edits, but I wanted my first ever review to be as honest and accurate as possible. I can say now that I definitely WOULD recommend the Proto X, with the added advice of finding a brick and mortar hobby store, and buying it there.

****EDIT 1/27/2014****
3 Proto X's and 3 rear motor failures lol. Each one of these I've owned has now had one of the rear motors fail; the 1st lasted 3 days, 6 days for the 2nd, and my newest one lasted 12 days. The pattern seems to indicate increased skill and crash avoidance, and this is somewhat true, but the fact is that this thing is frail. Plus I have more copters so it isn't just one getting used all the time. I have learned how to fix them and I've been using the 1st one for parts, so now that I know what I have, it's really not worth the bother of calling in the warranty (which should really be a 10 day warranty for honesty's sake). I took a star again because the price hasn't gone down yet, but the Proto is still worth a buy in my opinion, though really just for the cool factor of owning the smallest RC quad you can get, not for the value of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow... this thing is a blast!, November 11, 2013
I picked this up over the weekend at my local Hobby Store for $39.99.

I have plenty of the Infrared Syma indoor choppers and this thing blows the doors off of them!
This is not only faster in every aspect, but it can also be flown outdoors in the sunlight.

They are way fun and sound cool. They literally sound like an overgrown horse fly buzzing around.
I have crashed this thing from 20 feet up straight down and it survives with no problems. I have smashed it in to walls and my buddies head... no problems.

The unit comes with 4 extra props, a USB charging cord for the quad chopper, and a tiny remote control.
You need 2 AAA batteries for the remote and a small Philips (eye glasses style) screw driver to put the batteries in.

Best if flown with a lot of room because it really does move SUPER fast. Probably 4x faster than the Syma choppers in all directions.

$40 for this piece of technology?? WOW... wish these were around when I was a kid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly fun, but these things are NOT built to last, January 24, 2014
I had a hard time flying it at first, and I thought my quadcopter was defective. But, alas, no. After almost 30 flights, I have now mastered this thing. It's so freaking cute and awesome. My only complaint is I wish it could run longer.

edit:

An update to my previous review. So, after just 30+ flights, one of the motors is completely dead. Hopefully, Estes will replace it. I've read that these motors were not designed to last. But, I'm pretty shocked to see one fail so fast.

edit part deux:

The second one (replacement from Estes) died on me with less than 30 flights too. This time, the back two motors (black props) are going. They were getting stuck and I had to flick them to get them going. Now, one is completely dead and the other is barely hanging on at full throttle. I don't know if I'm just unlucky, but there are lots of others on the radio control estes forums complaining about this problem. I really hope this second one would have lasted atleast a 100+ flights like others are claiming.

edit part three:

So, I am on my third Proto X. And, this time, I flew this one really easy and hardly crashed it at all. After 43 flights, the rear motor is going out. It's pretty much stuck dead in the water. I cannot emphasize enough how much these things are really not meant to last. I am very surprised by people saying they have flown them for 100+ flights.

last edit:

So, after just under 2 months of owning three proto X's, I've cannibalized 8 motors to keep flying. That's right. EIGHT MOTORS FAILED IN JUST UNDER 2 MONTHS. Although, to be fair, I do fly this thing several times a day. Hopefully, motor parts will be available soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing technology demonstration - for under $50, January 2, 2014
I have several 'toy' r/c helicopters including an AR Drone, and this is by far the most fun. You can easily fly it around the office and almost any indoor space. The LED lights allow flight in low light, and controls are such that I think outdoor flight in low/no wind is possible but haven't tested that.

PROS: Easy to fly, and very small size. USB recharging. Durable construction.
CONS: Battery seems a bit short, but that is likely because it is so fun/easy to fly.

4.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is WOW!, November 29, 2013
This quadcopter is SMALL. I mean really small. It fits in your hand with landscape to spare. And it flies remarkably well. Its auto-level capability is superb. The range is decent for something this small. I have flown it on a still night to the height of 40 foot trees. It has the battery under the black canopy and flight times are 'ok'. If you merely hover around, expect times of around 5 minutes. If you're aggressive and zip around, chop that by 30%.

You must turn on the transmitter first... then flip on the quad by a tiny little switch on its underside. Set it down on a flat surface and it will acquire its artificial horizon. I discovered that occasionally you'll need to reset the horizon, and that is easily done by holding the throttle/rudder (left stick) all the way to the right and down, and flip the aileron/elevator (right stick) all the way left and right quickly 4 or 5 times quickly. The front blue LEDs will blink two or three times telling you its auto-level has found the horizon.

As has been said in other reviews, if anything breaks other than the propellers (extras are included), you're out of luck, because the quad's frame IS the integrated circuit board. However, this thing is SO small and light, it can drop onto carpet from 10 feet and be ok. Drop it onto hardwood flooring or a hard tile floor from that height, you may not be so lucky.

The transmitter uses two AAA batteries that are NOT included. A micro screwdriver is required to remove the battery cover. The transmitter is also VERY small and can be a challenge to anyone with large hands.

My ONLY complaint (and the reason I took one star off) is the yaw/rudder movement (left stick's left and right) does not engage until the stick has moved 50% or more of its left and right travel. But that might merely be my particular unit. The sticks have trim buttons for the right stick (elevator and aileron), but none for yaw (left stick).

4.0 out of 5 stars Revised and more positive review., December 26, 2013
Craig McAllister (Benicia, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I originally rated this item one star, based on it not working. After fussing with it for two days I now realize it works fine, but the directions are inadequate. If you want this to function properly, do the following:

1. Attach the USB cable to your charger (or computer) and the other end to the device.

2. There is a red LED in the USB side plug. Toggle the On/Off switch on the device until this light is lit.

3. Leave it attached & charging until the red LED goes out. Now the device is fully charged.

4. Detach device from cable. FIRST turn on controller. THEN toggle switch on device and its LED lights will go on.

5. The device lights may blink for a few seconds. Once they are constant, you are ready to fly.

Flight time is less then 10 minutes, but a lot of fun. The trick is to get the trim right. I've found the best way to do that is use the trim buttons until you achieve a stable hover.

One gripe I do have is the tiny screw on the controller battery compartment. Few people have a micro Phillips screwdriver to remove this screw.

May apologies if I dissuaded anyone from purchasing this with my previous review. Estes, please make your instructions clearer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Neat technology - but should not be your first Quadcopter, December 19, 2013
Amazon Customer (Southampton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased one of these to review for our (beginners) site - droneflyers.com
Summary of First Look and Review

I put it through it's paces and have a first look and review in the forum section....but the summary is as follows....

The Estes Proto X is another amazing piece of technology - smaller in size than any production quadcopter! However, I would not suggest this model for a first or starter quadcopter. A new user is likely to become frustrated with the short flight times, possible small QC problems and the current lack of easily available spare parts.

However, the more advanced hobbyists (advanced beginners) up....who know what they are getting, may want to buy one just for the thrill of seeing so much technology packed into 11 grams!

Gadget freaks will just have to have one, but those who want the easiest quad to fly, repair and own should look elsewhere.

If I had to suggest major improvements to this type of design, they would be:
1. Replaceable battery (apparently it is - but Estes does not admit it or sell others)
2. Improvements on the mounting of propellers so they don't come off so easily - these are almost impossible to find once they fly off.
3. Improvements in ease of trim and hover.
4. Redesign of the motors so they can be replaced without soldering - slip-in modules with contacts on them would make repair possible for hobbyists.

As it stands, this is somewhat of a "disposable" quadcopter - as are many in this price range. Given the price, that's not too bad. Still, I'd rather pay $10 or $20 more and have those improvements...

5.0 out of 5 stars Estes Proto X is a winner!, January 26, 2014
Outdoor cook (Burlington, NC) - See all my reviews
I have flown mostly gas powered R/C helicopters over the past 40 years, with varying success, and started to actually control them in the early 90s, and got all the way up to .60 cu in sized and inverted flight. I also used simulators to improve my skills. Nowadays I just fly small RC indoors, with 2 counter rotating helis to play with. I had not tried a quad yet so I ordered one of these Proto X copters and it arrived yesterday. It needs you to supply 2 AAA batteries for the transmitter, which has a screw for the battery access cover.

I love this tiny little thing. It buzzes happily around my family room. It is a bit sensitive, with no sense of inertia, so a small input is immediately evident, and it will get away from you in a blink of an eye. The tiny little propellers pop off if you hit anything while they're turning, and it took me a while (actually my wife) to find one.

Any little puff of air from your ventilation system will affect it. But the gyros seem to resist small air movement. You do have to focus on keeping it steady. This quad will take a beating, I have not broken any props yet, thankfully there is an included spare complete set of them in case I do. The front two are white and the rear are black. Each set has a clockwise prop and a counterclockwise spinning prop, so if 2 of the same color pop off you have to be sure to get the right one on the right motor otherwise they will blow air the wrong way. Like I found out.

There are trims for the right stick (elevator and aileron), but not for the rudder, which would help. Trim is crucial to getting good stability and control. I have mine set now that I can take my right thumb off the elevator/aileron stick.

I found that there is a little slop and wiggle between the plastic mount of the motors and the PC board which makes up the arm to each motor, so I put tiny pieces of double sided sticky foam under the plastic tabs to reduce that. This has helped the wandering and imprecision I noticed while hovering the Proto X. Also, after a crash you need to check that the motor has not got canted on the PC board.

The front blue LEDs and rear red "tail lights" help orientation of this very small quadcopter.

I get maybe 5 or 6 minutes of flight per charge. I popped the body off and the Lipo battery in mine has a tiny connector, and it's attached by means of double sided foam tape, so it can be replaced. Tower H0bbies lists replacement batteries available this spring.

I'm not sure this is really suitable for beginners, because it's a handful for a novice to do 4 channels and learn to hover, particularly nose in. But if a beginner does beat it up, this quad can hand quite a bit of abuse. Just get some more propellers... I'd say something more stable like the counter-rotating helis would be better suited to really learn how to hover and fly.

All in all a great little quadcopter, I'd buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, accurate control & fairly crash poof., June 27, 2014
Easily one of the best quad copters for the price that I've flown. The Proto X is quite the fun little flyer to for kitties to give case.
The small size of both the Proto X and the controller is at first daunting, but flight control is very accurate and stable.

Pro's:
• Accurate and precise flight control. Left/right yaw is very quick at full control input, but stops almost immediately when let off. Roll/ pitch is precise with little to no drift once properly trimmed.
• LEDs are bright, and make for tracking the unit and orientation easy, even at a distance.
• Unit is incredibly resilient, taking almost full speed crashes into the wall without damage.
• Charge time is relatively short, and can be charged off any available USB port.

Con's:
• Controller could stand to be a little bigger, but I think it adds to the charm.
• Flashing LEDs for low battery indication is clever, but not ideal for night or low light flying. They are bright when on, and when they suddenly turn off it makes for tracking the unit's movement a little choppy.
• Blades pop off to easily in crash events, and are challenging to find.
• Motors are soldered directly to the board, so replacements are not an option for anyone without soldering skills.

Neutral:
• Battery life is about 5-10 minutes of flight time. Pretty good for the size, but could always be longer. Battery could be replaced, but the charger does not interface to the battery directly, so you can't charge a spare to swap out.

Overall this a great little unit, fun to fly and a big surprise in maneuverability for the size.
I bought the Estes ProtoX 4606 and Estes 4609 Syncro and the only apparent difference is the marking on the controller ( Proto X vs Estes ) and the board/frame colour.

Rate and Discover Movies