5.0 out of 5 stars Antiquated manufacturing??
Published on May 30, 2011 by T-Lor

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful in extreme cold
Published on August 23, 2011 by t janega

5.0 out of 5 stars Antiquated manufacturing??, May 30, 2011
This review is from: Estwing E45A Campers Axe Metal Handle (Lawn & Patio)
I own the E45A and its an incredible axe. There is really no need for me to ever buy another of this size. I was surprised when i saw these pictures above that showed "flaws" in the steel which indicated "poor quality". I know my axe is of the highest quality but it is a few years old. I went down to home depot to see if maybe this is a recent problem with estwing tools. What i found made me laugh. Estwing tools come with a thick clear coat over the axe head to protect it before the tool is purchased. every one of the axes I looked at had little bits of dust or marks or wrinkles in the clear coat exactly like what are shown in the pictures above. If your thinking about getting one of these, the steel is flawless. It's a excellent tool!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, January 3, 2010
This review is from: Estwing E45A Campers Axe Metal Handle (Lawn & Patio)
I bought the longer, 26" handled version of this axe from Home Depot (not the 16" shown here). This American made tool (made in USA or U.S.A.) was designed to last. This axe is lightweight but can easily cut through both wet and dry hard woods. The molded handle is surely the most comfortable I've ever felt on an axe. This very portable axe is what you are looking for if you want to fell trees, split wood or re-split firewood into kindling. However, I wouldn't attempt to use this axe to smack a wedge through big logs. It is light enough to use one-handed for hammering pegs etc. I'm assuming that it's by no coincidence that the longer version of this axe also has a rounded handle segment in the middle that you can "choke up" on to gain better control of the swing for hammering or for close cutting/hewing; it is light and controllable. Although none is shown in the picture, mine came with a leather sheath; all of the ones I've seen in stores do. It comes with a sharp factory edge and sharpens to a ridiculously sharp edge in a few passes from one of those V-shaped knife/tool sharpeners Accu Sharp 060 GardenSharp Tool Sharpener(Accusharp). Estwing did their homework when designing and manufacturing this axe and you won't be disappointed with this choice. It is one of those rare examples of quality better than you would expect for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm an axe collector, May 24, 2011
This review is from: Estwing E45A Campers Axe Metal Handle (Lawn & Patio)
Well, I am an axe collector, so I've seen many hundreds if not thousands of axes over the years. For a small camping axe, the E45A is a superior product. I have three of these. One for use, the others I bought to put in my collection. I don't typically buy new axes for my collection, but this axe has earned a spot due to its durability as a field tool, and the fact that it's made in the USA. I am not an Ameri-centic axe collector, but this fact doesn't hurt. The steel is very good and goes through the handle - which is an excellent design. In addition to being virtually unbreakable, the handle's surface texture is both durable and comfortable. It's simply amongst the nicest tools one can currently buy new - that isn't a wallet buster - for light to medium duty chopping. Easy to give this axe the highest recommendation as a light to medium duty chopping tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Estwing Ax, March 19, 2010
This review is from: Estwing E45A Campers Axe Metal Handle (Lawn & Patio)
My brother in law has always like Estwing hammers and i saw an article in the magazine talking about how rugged the Ax was. I thought I would give it a shot. It worked beautifully for what i needed an ax big enough to cut down trees up to 12 inches in diameter but small and light enough to easily take camping or anywhere. Its a great product and American made (minus the sheath).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camping axe I have ever used!, February 26, 2010
This review is from: Estwing E45A Campers Axe Metal Handle (Lawn & Patio)
You can't go wrong with this axe. It is virtually indestructible and holds a great edge. The weight and balance are awesome. It is the perfect length for a camping axe because it fits in my plastic camping container (for car camping) but has almost the same chopping power as a regular length wooden-handled axe, probably because it has about the same weight due to the metal shaft. I like the fact that it comes with a protective leather sheath. Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars heavy to carry , but worth it, February 27, 2011
This review is from: Estwing E45A Campers Axe Metal Handle (Lawn & Patio)
i started looking into the estwing brand after owning one of their hammers (the best hammer you could buy for construction and heavy carpentry) and i had to have this axe, first impression, JUST AS GOOD AS MY 10 YEARS OLD HAMMER!!! ,i cant understand the guy complaining about antiquated manufacturing procedures, if he complaints about this axe , he would throwing fire from his mouth if he had purchased any of the chinese made ones, no point of comparison, and this guys can stamp the American flag with pride on their products, as you WILL NOT find anything remotely comparable on the same price range, of course you could go with a better axes than this one, you just have to spend 100 dollars or more for it.
This axe is a little heavy for its intended purpose (camping) but if you dont mind carrying it arround, it will thank you for doing it as it is as good as it gets for a camping axe, and very good compared with other top tier ones,buy it

Little thing to consider: if you dont want to carry this 4 pound axe around in your camping, hiking trip, i would recommend getting a sven saw, serves the same purpose just as well, and is a dream to carry lol.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful in extreme cold, August 23, 2011
t janega (Tacoma, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Estwing E45A Campers Axe Metal Handle (Lawn & Patio)
I loved my Estwing axe and would have given it a 5-star rating until I experienced a catastrophic failure while cutting dry fir after a period of prolonged cold. The head broke into three evenly sized pieces. I did not strike a knot in the wood. I NEVER struck the ground or anything other than wood with this axe. It had given me years of trouble-free service splitting firewood and even felling trees, (mostly in mild temperatures), and I would have bet my life on it. It took and held a good edge. I never had any critical thoughts about it until it broke. If you won't be using it in very cold situations, it might give you a life time of service. Maybe I got a lemon. It cut as well as I could have wished for a couple of years of daily use (our household was heated with wood, and we also heated our hot tub with wood) but then it broke. If your life will/might depend on your axe, please consider Witterling or Granfors-Bruks. Yeah, I know. VERY PRICEY, but cheaper than your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Investment for any Woods People!, January 1, 2011
This review is from: Estwing E45A Campers Axe Metal Handle (Lawn & Patio)
If you live in the woods, or use firewood, this axe is a very worthwhile investment. Quality of construction is unsurpassed, comes nice and sharp with a well built leather sheath that has two sturdy clips. Chops down trees, limbs, can make kindling, and in a pinch will split fire wood. You will still need a maul for some logs, but you need one anyway. Never buy an axe handle again! They cost almost ten bucks and take time to install, so save yourself money and effort and invest in a tool that doesn't need a lifetime guarantee. This thing is indestructible! Pass it on to your children. Another amazing quality estwing product. Support this company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality Tool, December 1, 2007
This review is from: Estwing E45A Campers Axe Metal Handle (Lawn & Patio)
I have and have used a wide variety of hand tools. I can tell you that this product is made of the highest quality, and will give you a lifetime of good service with minimal maintenance. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Axe, April 17, 2010
This review is from: Estwing E45A Campers Axe Metal Handle (Lawn & Patio)
Excellant tool. Good size for most wood cutting jobs. Very Durable. Well balanced and tuned.

Estwing E45A Campers Axe Metal Handle