5.0 out of 5 stars great 70s kraut rock/jazz/fusion/psychedelia, February 2, 2009
This review is from: Et Cetera (Audio CD)
this is a great recording from '71. it's a mixture of krautrock/jazz/fusion/psychedelia. personnel: wolfgang dauner, sigi schwab, eberhard weber, fred braceful and roland wittich. one of the songs "lady blue" sounds a lot like early Can with Malcom Mooney. some of the accoustic guitar works sounds like Steve Tibbets. over all a great cd with lots of musical styles done extremely well. you get over 20' of great bonus material and an informative booklet too!

4.0 out of 5 stars where did this even come from!, June 11, 2014
This review is from: Et Cetera (Audio CD)
Every so often you discover the most extraordinary things! Et. Cetera is one of those occasions.

"Thursday Morning Sunrise" (darn! I'm one day off!) begins with some heavy... riffage of some kind. I suppose it's electric guitar. This stuff totally reminds me of less focused Emerson, Lake & Palmer noodling. Which isn't a bad thing of course! The song then dissolves into a mess of LSD-influenced chaos that for some highly unusual reason reminds me of bunnies scurrying around a hilltop during a fireworks celebration. A fireworks celebration for people of course, not for bunnies. Silly ol' wabbit! Squeaky, Middle Eastern-like saxophone work appears soon after. You know this stuff does occasionally resemble a melodic jam of some kind, but over the course of 14 minutes only a few moments really catch my attention. I imagine under the right frame of mind (or influence) this stuff might become a highly rewarding exploration for the mind. The oddness factor is very high here, too.

"Lady Blue" has gentle, odd choir-like singing occurring overtop jazzy piano/guitar and poetry. "Lady Blue will burn holes in you, Lady Blue doesn't care about you!". "Melodrama" begins with a world of EERIE potential with that haunting mellotron before shifting into a lighter tone with acoustic guitar playing a series of notes that I'm pretty sure the heavy metal acts UFO and Skid Row went on to borrow because this sounds too familiar to me. A beautiful instrumental. "Raga" starts with some uplifting Middle Eastern arrangements and it's VERY lovely the way it's played. The tune then turns all Miles Davis on us with brief moments of trumpet but it never amounts to much since the song quickly returns back to its sitar grooving. For a brief unintentional moment, a few minutes in, I SWEAR a huge Amon Duul II influence occurs (a similarity to a part near the beginning of "Phallus Dei" in case anyone's wondering... all 3 people out there reading this!) Some light drumming serving as a groove with light touches of trumpet, keyboards and especially sitars carries us to the end of this song. "Melodrama" has a way of being fantastic without being able to really put into words why.

"Milkstreets" takes us back to the chaotic stuff we first heard on "Thursday Morning Sunrise"... and by the way, what kind of imagery is that supposed to be? Surely not a normal sunrise. Maybe a sunrise with people escaping from a tribe of hungry barbarians. I sort of get interested when the keyboards and electric guitar and eventually piano come in. So weird! All of this! "Behind the Stage" is MORE of the same kind of weirdness. You know this band might be trying to experiment with funk here. I can recall a few funk bands from the early 70's imitating unusual pinball-like bouncing sound effects similar to this. Of course those bands never performed such sounds *extensively* like these guys are here. Actually wait! It's called "Behind the Stage"... which is where musicians rehearse. I really need to learn to read sometimes. The electric guitar is really good though. It jams wonderfully for a few minutes.

"Tau Ceti" is what I call awesome ambiance! Dreary, dungeon-crawling piano work with walking dead-style acoustic guitar combined (which is quite the combo!) This is SUCH a cool song! Favorite song here. This my friends is clearly intended for the ghost hunting cravers out there. Do I hear bagpipes too? The sitars have never captivated me quite like this before. "Kabul" continues the haunting theme temporarily until the electric guitars come in. Then the song grooves for a while on the sitars. Not the prettiest/most appealing of jams, but it's decent enough at creating a nice atmosphere. The jam at the end is... what is it? Electric guitar? For some reason it's really difficult to make out the musical instruments. Anyway it's awesome too. One of the few moments where I can actually notice a Canterbury influence.

Let me tell you something mister! While Et. Cetera may initially seem uninteresting due to starting the album with the ultra oddness that is "Thursday Morning Sunrise", keep listening and you'll be rewarded with a mostly instrumental/richly diverse selection of instruments ranging from sitars to electric guitars to acoustic guitars to keyboards to pianos to drums to... probably so much more I can't make out yet. This is for those who love experimental jams. For Henry Cow, King Crimson, Amon Duul II and Can fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 16, 2014
This review is from: Et Cetera (Audio CD)
Absolutely free electric space jazz!

Et Cetera
Et Cetera by Et Cetera (Audio CD - 2008)