1,015 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars My cats love it!
Published on June 24, 2008 by KKat

1.0 out of 5 stars Potentially very DANGEROUS -- please be careful
Published on November 8, 2011 by Max12

1.0 out of 5 stars Potentially very DANGEROUS -- please be careful, November 8, 2011
Max12 (OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ethical Pet Wide Durable Heavy Gauge Plastic Colorful Springs Cat Toy, 10-Pack (Misc.)
Please use extreme caution if you purchase these toys for kittens in particular. My 12 week old kitten started to lose weight and was failing to thrive when he was always the largest and strongest of a litter I am fostering. I weigh the kittens continually to track their progress. A barium study revealed 5 broken pieces of these springs in his GI tract which will now have to be removed either endoscopically or by surgery if the pieces migrated to his intestines. This would have killed him and/or caused perforation if not caught in time. Despite careful supervision of the kittens during play with the springs, the one kitten ingested them a few days ago. We supervise very carefully as my spouse, a veterinary internist, has had to remove many unusual items from dogs and cats that one would not expect they would/could swallow over his 20 plus years in practice so this happening was especially distressing.

UPDATE:
My lucky kitten is now a healthy cat in our multi-cat household. I wanted to clarify that the spring pieces removed and returned to us were both the plastic Ethical WIDE Colorful Springs Cat Toy and Ethical THIN Colorful Springs Cat Toys. The wide ones do not break easily, however, cats can break them and chew the edges making them sharp. People can also break the springs unintentionally. I do not think the vast majority of cats would ingest the pieces, however, I wanted to share my experience so owners are aware that it can happen even if it is a rare occurrence.

5.0 out of 5 stars My cats love it!, June 24, 2008
I have two cats, and these springs are their favorite. They just love batting these around and chasing them, and they never get sick of these inexpensive toys. I suggest buying extras, as these springs get lost pretty easily. I used to buy them at a local store and then was disappointed when the store stopped carrying them. Luckily, I found them on Amazon! These springs end up under furniture, doors, kitchen appliances, and the washer and dryer. You can fetch them out with a yardstick, but these things do have a knack for disappearing. I usually ration them out to my cats until all have disappeared, and then every once in a while, I get out the yardstick and go searching for the lost ones.

Edit: My springs are plastic, but I purchased them years ago. Now I see that they are metal and could be potentially dangerous. I like my plastic springs, but I don't think I would buy metal ones. :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cat toy, August 15, 2008
My cats love these. I ordered four sets because they go missing for days at a time, only to end up in a cache behind a chair or in the basement. My cats will play with these for hours. Our favorite game is fetch. I toss it, the two little ones bat it about a bit, then one of them brings it back to me for the next round. Having a small black cat walk up to me with one of these sticking up in the air makes all the harder parts of the day just fade away.

1.0 out of 5 stars VET SAID NO NO TO THIS TOY, November 26, 2011
I received these as a gift for my cat. I was playing with one with my cat at the vet and he highly recommended I NOT give these to my cat. Cats can chew pieces off and cause damage internally. I am not taking any chances and have thrown these away. My cat loved to play with them, but it is not worth the risk.

1.0 out of 5 stars SENDING BACK!!!, December 14, 2011
Are you kidding me?! This is my second time purchasing these toys for my two cats, unfortunately, this time from a different seller. The first ones I bought were plastic, the ones received now are metal wire freshly painted with very smelly paint that has gathered in small drops on the wire but the toys are already all scratched up! My curious cat sniffed the package and started sneezing. Not to mention the sharp edges on both ends of each toy that could puncture an eye. Also, the cats are meant to chew on them and I don't want my cats to eat drops of paint. What in the world is the seller thinking?!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS FOR YOUR PET!, December 19, 2011
Cynthia R. (West Orange, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a gift for my sister's cats. When she opened the package, she cut herself on the springs as they are made of metal!!! Then, one of the cats got hold of one and cut his mouth on it!!!!! They also smelled of a very pungent paint that did not seem good for animals to be chewing on. These are VERYYYYYYYYYYYY dangerous for pets. Someone needs to take this off the market! DO NOT BUY THEM!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrifying! Unsafe!, December 13, 2011
Thought these were made of plastic. Received heavy metal springs covered in a plastic colored casing. Not even the same colors as the photos. These would have harmed my cats if I had let them play with them...scratched them, puncture wounds or even putting an eye out. What was the vendor thinking to send out wires for pet toys. Will be requesting a refund right away.

1.0 out of 5 stars I know I am at fault....., December 20, 2011
I am at fault for not reading more of the reviews for this item before I purchased them. I loved the photos of these cat toys; the colors were bright and cheerful and the springs 'looked springy and fun'. I admit I stopped reading after reading just a few reviews about how much other people's cats loved these toys. The springs sounded exactly like something my two cats would be in love with.

Now I now don't know if they would like them or not because I would never let them play with them. The are way too stiff for even me to 'spring' them. The colors are very unattractive. The paint looks ugly and smells horrid. They are very hard metal with extremely sharp and painful pointed ends on each end that could stab a paw or tongue or spring into an eye or other body part and could really injure you if you accidentally stepped on one. The photo is entirely misleading. Now, finally reading reviews after the fact, I read that this toy indeed 'used' to actually be like it looks in the photos; bright, cheery, soft plastic, springy. etc.

If you love your cats and your cats love to have fun with interactive, but safe, toys, I would not recommend buying these. I am not at all interested in reporting whether my pets like them or not; I love my two cats way too much to let them get their little paws on even one of these dangerous springs.

Wouldn't pay to send them back, but definitely won't use them or, heaven forbid, ever order anymore.

EDIT: Additional information on these springs - added 01/09/2012:

I contacted Amazon directly about these dangerous springs. They have processed a refund for the cost of the springs (I didn't pay original s/h; the springs were part of a Super Saver Order). They also provided me with information about Ethical (phone #, fax #, e-mail, etc) so that I could contact them directly about whether the springs were still being made with plastic or have been changed to metal. Frankly, I think it is obvious that the metak springs many of us received were not related to Ethical; the Ethical name was not mentioned on the product I received. It appears to me the seller is simply misrepresenting what the item he is offering for sale.

I would urge every customer who ordered these dangerous springs offered for sale as 'Ethical Springs' to contact Amazon directly and ask to receive a refund for the misrepresented product.

Based on this episode, plus another episode with misrepresentation of the condition of a book ordered from a marketplace seller, it has become clear to me that Amazon is placing themselves squarely is the middle by not holding their third-party and marketplace sellers to a higher standard. Amazon is providing their (at this point) positive name recognition to other sellers (of both types) and is bearing the weight of having their customer-service representatives spend an enormous amount of time dealing with unhappy customers, and in many cases is provided promo credits or refunds for products - but they are not following-thru with the third-party sellers and marketplace sellers to hold them responsible for honesty in selling. At least that is how it looks to me as a customer.

I have been an avid and dedicated customer of Amazon at all levels for many years, but after multiple problems this November and December; I am currently re-evaluating my future as a loyal Amazon Customer. Including this misrepresentation with the cat springs, I have spent way too much time dealing with Amazon customer-service through phone calls and e-mails to try to get correct products, owed credits, adequate service, and final resolutions. I am now evaluating whether the savings is worth my time in the long run. I will however state that in the end all my problems have been resolved and credits given, but one has to wonder; how long can Amazon continue to bear the brunt of the fall out of misconduct and misrepresentation by 'outside' sellers? Amazon of course is in control of the answer to that question and ultimately, hopefully, will make the correct decision for them as a business.

From the outside looking in; right now Amazon is seriously beginning to look a lot like Netflix when it comes to presenting themselves as a major booming successful business venture demonstrating just how to go about shooting themselves in the foot.

Perhaps customers requesting Amazon to make refunds on misrepresented items, such as this dangerous cat toy, will help Amazon make a decision on their future dealings with outside sellers that will ultimately be advantageous to both Amazon and their customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cat toy!, September 9, 2007
My cat likes to fetch and these springs have a great bounce and springy noise when thrown. He loves them and will bring one to me when he wants to play.

1.0 out of 5 stars unsafe, thin stiff wire, December 14, 2011
Just Me (here and there across the USA) - See all my reviews
These are made of thin stiff wire. A danger to cats and to barefoot human feet. Similar toys made of plastic are available. Seek them out instead.