4.0 out of 5 stars I like it
It cost me $0.01 and 3.99 in shipment. When I got it I realized that the Model Rule was come to enforcement after the book publishing.
Published 13 months ago by Zhifei Li

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddily put together substantively and otherwise
This textbook is vaguely written, unorganized, and poorly edited. The ABA rules are sprinkled throughout in a haphazard manner in no particular order except as relevant to the particular chapter. There is no comprehensive collection of these rules for easy access anywhere throughout.

There are few cases to assist in illustrating these rules; the authors have...
Published on October 23, 2008 by K. Lee

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddily put together substantively and otherwise, October 23, 2008
This review is from: Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law (Hardcover)

There are few cases to assist in illustrating these rules; the authors have apparently spent all their time transforming helpful cases into open ended hypothetical problems that are of little to no help in actually informing the reader. This textbook format is unique and unusual in law books and should be applauded for creativity, even if the result is an incoherent inability to pass on information to the student.

From an editing standpoint, there are typos throughout that are embarrassing for Aspen Publishing as well as the authors. All of Chapter 6's headings on every page read "Chatper 6", for example. Just incredibly poorly done. My worst textbook of the entire 3 years of law school.

1.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely worthless examination of the ABA Model Rules, May 12, 2012
This review is from: Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law (Hardcover)
There is little value in a textbook that offers such bare guidance into legal ethics. This semester, my class struggled to deal with this piece of garbage. Presenting few exemplary cases and relying primarily on abstract hypotheticals, few putative explanations were ever provided. Related to this point, the layout of the book is also particularly poor; it is a waste of my time to ask me to read hypotheticals, but then not introduce the underlying material until subsequent sections. It would make sense to as students to read a hypothetical as a starting point, and then immediately introduce the materials. This is frequently not how this book operates. I do not mean the immediate subsequent sections contain the explanations, if any is offered. I mean that sometimes it may be another 20-50 pages before a point is clarified based on an abstract hypothetical - if at all.

Additionally, it often felt as if there was no rhyme or reason to the structure of the book on the whole, and there is also little examination of interplay between commonly-related though distally-grouped Model Rules. The vast majority of substantive offerings in the book are often fairly subjectively-written articles or short notes, which frequently seem to beg for additional expertise in related fields that most students (and most lawyers) will not possess. Further, critical explanations of complex points are often compacted into bizarre charts where often a very simple sentence or two would resolve a student's underlying confusion.

We are expected to pass the MPRE, and so many law schools will turn to this waste of paper in a partial attempt to prepare their students. I have never written a textbook review of a casebook before, but felt I should take the time to do so in the event any law professors out there are considering this book. Our exam was open book, which was ultimately of minimal benefit to us as students.

The only silver lining for me, pending a grade, is that I paid only about $45 for this book. If I had paid the bookstore price of $180+, I'd be livid.

This textbook is absolute garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth buying if absolutely not required!, January 29, 2012
This review is from: Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law (Hardcover)
Attention Professors considering utilizing this textbook in their Professional Responsibility courses: This really is one of the worst textbooks I've had in law school and wholeheartedly agree with all of the prior negative reviews. Please consider making it optional or choosing a different book altogether! There are few cases and the references to the model rules are randomly scattered about. Instead of providing examples of the "rules in action", the authors have opt-ed to include instead open-ended hypotheticals with no suggested answer. Hardly helpful for actually preparing for an exam in Professional Responsibility and this will certainly not help any student as they prepare for the Multi state Professional Responsibility Exam. I immediately sold this book after the class was done and purchased a supplement for both the Professional Responsibility course exam and the MPRE. Even if you don't purchase a supplement to this textbook, you are better off reading the Model Rules and comments to those rules to pass this class.

1.0 out of 5 stars NEW EDITION OUT!, May 16, 2014
This review is from: Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law (Hardcover)
Make sure that you can use this edition and not the third edition in your class if required. Don't do what I did!

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, October 8, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, December 9, 2008
This review is from: Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law (Hardcover)
I just finished my PR course. Its a readable and interesting book. Its full of problems that are good discussion material in class or in a study group context (our professor spent lots of time fleshing out the issues in the problems, especially given the lack of significant case law on this subject and the main focus on rule analysis). It even has charicatures that make for nice periodic rests from reading. I really dont think that the negative review is fair to this text.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative book on Ethical Problems, July 27, 2014
This review is from: Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law (Hardcover)
I've dealt with so many unethical lawyers that Lisa's book hits the mark in what are the problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Uh. It's a textbook., September 28, 2007
K. K. Smith "legal eagle" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Nobody buys textbooks because they want to, they do it because they are required to by a professor. This textbook is no different. It is fine, it has a sensible layout and reasonable problems. Whatever. It's a textbook.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Destroyed Upon Arrival, February 7, 2010
This review is from: Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law (Hardcover)
This book looked like it had been stabbed when I got it. It is in terrible condition and missing most of the last 100 pages. I will never buy anything from here again! It was wrapped in paper and totally destroyed when I got it in the mail. I deserve a refund for this joke of a book. If I could have chosen zero stars I would have. This book is totally worthless due to the condition.

Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law
Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law by Philip G. Schrag (Hardcover - April 22, 2008)
$149.00