4.0 out of 5 stars I use this radio alot!
Published on August 11, 2012 by kuroyoru

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't hold a charge
Got this item for Xmas. Pulled it out for the first time to use for summer camping...WON'T HOLD A CHARGE. Cannot find the proper battery on the Eton website. Not recommended.
Published 14 months ago by whatthejeez

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I use this radio alot!, August 11, 2012
This review is from: Eton FRX2 Hand Turbine AM/FM Weather Radio with Smartphone Charger - Black (NFRX2WXB) (Electronics)
I bought the Eton FRX2 for my bug out bag, but with so many blackouts from storms I use this radio a lot. This radio has already proved its worth. The light lasts for hours without much cranking. Being able to charge the radio on laptop or in sun helps me be prepared before rain storms or for trips to the beach. I have used it a few times to charge my smartphone, and it charges pretty quickly.

My favorite thing about the radio is the reception. I accidentally broke the top of the antennae one night. I was afraid the radio wouldn't work as well, but I was surprised to find that it still worked. I can get the weather band radio very easily. I can get almost any local station were I am, broken antennae and all.

The only thing I wish this radio had was a way to know how much battery was left. I would go a day without charging the radio and it would lose power. I would have to crank away. The radio body is kinda clunky, but how it preforms over shadows how it looks. That's a good thing.

It's sturdy enough for frequent use. I've dropped it without much problem too. Great radio for your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Emergency Radio - Highly Recommended, July 1, 2012
We have the American Red Cross FRX2 Hand Turbine AM/FM Weather Radio with Smartphone Charger - Red (ARCFRX2WXR) version of this radio (just branded different) and it is a very good choice for an emergency AM/FM Weather Radio that is suitable for home use, camping, car emergency kit, or as part of a "bug out bag". Here are my observations:

Pros -
+ Many Charging Options; can be charged by placing it in sunlight via the built in solar panel, by using the integrated hand crank, or via a mini-USB cable (not included)
+ Acts As Charger; can charge cell phones via a standard USB cable (not included)
+ Bright Flashlight; the 3-LED flashlight is very powerful and lasts a very long time
+ Weather Radio; includes 7 NOAA weather channel presets

Cons -
- Plastic Construction; unit looks and feels "plasticky"
- Radio Sound Quality; while not really detrimental to getting information, the internal speaker leaves a lot to be desired but using the earphone jack makes a big difference

This is a decent emergency radio that is also useful for camping and hiking.

Highly Recommended!

CFH

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little Radio, March 28, 2013
I bought this primarily for backpacking and only just received it today, but am impressed with it so far. It is compact, lightweight and has very good reception. I am able to get noaa weather and radio stations that have poor reception. The speaker is very good for its small size. I can clearly hear it from the other room. I am not sure if it will charge my cell phone but it does charge my kindle (with a different cable that I had). I have it sitting on a windowsill in direct sunlight and it has been playing for several hours. There are 3 ways to charge it, with the solar panel, the hand crank or it has a usb port so you can charge off your computer. You can't listen to the radio when you are charging a cell phone (or kindle) off it, which is the only thing I didn't like, but not really a big deal. Overall a very nice compact radio that can be used without relying on an outside power source.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid, sturdy, useable hand-cranked radio, January 12, 2014
I bought this radio along with the HY-88E. I am cross-posting this review to both items' pages. In sum: this is a better device than the HY-88E; it runs longer on a solar charge (had them side by side in the window). The crank is a little quieter than the HY-88E, but it has a higher-pitched whine. Both radios played music nicely, and both were unable to tune in any radio stations from NOAA, as my home is located in an area where NOAA no longer supports transmitters. However, if NOAA were important to you, I would choose the Eton FRX2, as each NOAA weather channel is click-selected on the dial.

The HY-88E is smaller, which can be an advantage; I found when cranking it, however, that the small size made it impossible for me NOT to press on the solar cell on it. I do not know if this will cause long-term damage.

The HY-88E has a better flashlight. The beam is round, and has a sharp focused edge. If you chiefly worry about a flashlight, buy the HY-88E.

It was in the area of charging Cell Phones that I found the biggest difference. The Eton comes outfitted with a "normal" size USB plug. Turning its dial to "cell," plugging in a USB cable to the Eton, and then plugging that cable into my cell phone, and then later an iPod, allowed me to charge both by using the crank (it is SLOOOOW.) The HY-88E comes with a whole host of plugs and adapters, but none that made it usable: its USB output is a mini outlet, as opposed to the full-size USB on the Eton (and on my computer as I type this). I simply do not have any mini-to-mini USB cables, and was unable to use the HY-88E to do anything to charge any phones. If you have the correct adapter (and, frankly, the number of adapters is stunning on the HY-88E), it should be a beaut.

Bottom line: the FRX2 is $13 more expensive than the HY-88E. For that, you get indexed selection of NOAA stations, a slightly larger solar cell area, an immediately useable cell/USB charger, and a flashlight not nearly as good. If NOAA is more important, go with the FRX2. If the flashlight is a key feature, the HY-88E. If neither of these is important, save the money and go with the HY-88E.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, January 28, 2013
So far so good. I wish battery life was better but it does live up to the adds of 3 hrs on a full charge with low volume.
I wish it did let u know when it is fully charged insted of timing it at three hrs on the computer.
It has good sound for a little radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eton FRX2 weather radio, June 28, 2013
Nancy M. Neuman (Lewisburg, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This is an updated model from one I bought several years ago. It is more compact and does not require an AC attachment. The old one had several cell phone adapters and now they are obsolete. This has a USB attachment which will fit any cell phone. And it works well! I use the radio even in non emergencies and to get weather updates.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Emergency Radio, August 9, 2013
I do think this radio is a good emergency radio but I have the following recommendations:

1. I wish this radio had was a way to know how much battery was left.
2. The radio is clunky making it a bit of a pain to hand crank.
3. I tried charging my cell phone with it but I didn't see it charge. It may be because I didn't know how much charge was in the radio though (see #1 above).
4. I think the tuning dial could be bigger so it's easier to tune in a station more easily.
5. It would be nicer if the light was brighter.

If you have realistic expectations about the radio keeping in mind the the items above, I think you'll like it. The radio did sound good once I got it tuned in and the solar charging is really nice. We used the light a lot while camping in July.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is stated., May 3, 2013
This thing works well. I do a lot of camping and this is going to stay in the car in case the weather looks weird or the phone starts to go out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic All-In-One Emergency Device, April 30, 2013
It has it all and works great. Good quality construction, though I wish it was also waterproof... I guess you can't have it all. Other than that, it is exactly as advertised. I have already used it in a power outage once.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't hold a charge, June 26, 2013