1,131 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but BE CAREFUL what size you buy
Published on March 1, 2011 by George Price

2.0 out of 5 stars READ FIRST!
unless you have ears like a ferengi ([...]) buy the normal sized ones.
"oh no, but I have big ears"
"Shut your mouth! unless you can fit a marker in your ear canal and have it stand out straight, get the smaller sized ones!"
Published on December 30, 2011 by Garrett Sherman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but BE CAREFUL what size you buy, March 1, 2011
George Price (Roswell, GA USA) - See all my reviews
The ER20 plugs do work well. I'm a fulltime musician and love them. BUT, the last pair I got turned out to be the "Baby Blues" which are made "for small ear canals". The descriptions here are very weak and it's easy to make that mistake. The actual sound filter is inside the stem, but the silicone plug (the blue part on these plugs) is smaller than normal, too small for my adult male ears. I'm not sure the seller understands this. Be careful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, December 19, 2010
Bought these for a photo shoot at a concert. Was right up front near the monitors and was able to shoot without any discomfort and left them in for the entire 2 hours. Was able to hear everything and the frequency response was perfect. It was just like turning the volume down on the stereo - just made the sound lower without muffling it like regular foam plugs do. Was also able to carry on a conversation with them in as well. And the best part - no ear ringing for days after the concert either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for classrooms, November 16, 2010
J.C. Davis (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
We use these at school for my son. He's in first grade and has sensory processing disorder, which makes it very difficult for him to tune out noises and focus in the classroom. These earplugs diffuse just enough noise to allow him to attend to his work and to the teacher. He also uses them during assemblies and in the cafeteria where it's very noisy. They're much more discrete than the headphones often used to help children in classroom settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best non-custom Hi-Fi earplug, August 24, 2011
This review is from: Etymotic Research ER20 ETY-Plugs Hearing Protection Earplugs, Large Fit, Clear Stem with White Tip (Clear) (Tools & Home Improvement)
NOTE: The "large" size is the standard for adults. When this was owned by Earlove, the now "regular" blue earplugs were marketed as the "small child-sized," which I still consider more accurate. I've been told I have small adult ear canals, and the blue ones are too small.

These are the best high fidelity earplugs you can get without having them moulded to your ear canal. It is literally like turning the volume down, rather than altering the quality of the tones in different ranges (bass, treble). The only downsides are not related to the product specifically: They're easy to lose or misplace (not because they fall out, just because they're small). They get earwax on them. Problems you'd have with any earplugs.

I'm in the habit of wearing these all over the place. Concerts, bars, street fairs. They're a great way to save your ear drums without sacrificing the sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling a bit like Goldilocks, February 24, 2011
I'm a drummer and definitely need ear protection, especially when playing in group settings. I'd tried regular earplugs and they blocked too much of the sound to hear myself and others. A different brand of musician's ear plugs were very uncomfortable and didn't block enough of the sound. The Etymotics plugs block enough to protect my hearing while still allowing me to hear myself and others playing. Just right!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but fairly impressive., July 13, 2012
I'm a sound engineer and have been looking for a good pair of plugs for concerts. I spend most of my time in the studio, not at concerts, because I don't want to damage my hearing.

Let me start with this: No earplug can replicate the ears response while impeding sound. Just ain't gonna happen. At least not for any affordable price. But these aren't bad. I had formerly been using a pair of Combat Arms ear plugs - Peltor 97079 Combat Arms Earplugs - but they cut out too much of the high end. As someone who has very detailed hearing (over 20db better than average all the way up the scale) this lack of high end bothered me. So I got these.

PROS:
- While not perfect, these are very effective. They have a natural response in much of the range of the human voice, meaning that when you're listening to your favorite song, you'll clearly hear the lyrics. That's a huge plus. Instruments might sound dull or different, but the vocals are usually what people focus on.
- If nothing else, the slightly dimmed highs make the bass sound very big.
- Come close to halving the sound coming in, judging by my headphone and stereo tests. The TV show I had on sounded almost the same.
- Comes with a nice case. The carry case is big enough for the two plugs and the included neck cord. Seems sturdy, and has a good seal to make sure you don't lose a plug. Like one of the picture notes says, squeeze the sides and it opens easily.

CONS:
- Not quite as natural as advertised, but I doubt you could fault them for that. Many people might not even notice a difference in in the sound spectrum
- Arrived slightly misshapen. The bottom cone on both plugs was squeezed slightly by the packaging meaning it's not exactly the right shape. Doesn't seem to affect the performance, but it irks me.

In case you didn't notice, the cons aren't really that bad. Hence the 5 stars.

Get em, the price is good and the function is great.

2.0 out of 5 stars READ FIRST!, December 30, 2011
unless you have ears like a ferengi ([...]) buy the normal sized ones.
"oh no, but I have big ears"
these things kept the noise out but only because they were pressure sealed. so much pressure, terrible headaches. I felt like I had that little fat german kid from Willy Wonka in each ear. do your ears a favor and head my warning: get the smaller ones first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good-quality, affordable earplugs for musicians, March 6, 2011
This was the first brand of earplugs designed with the music listener in mind that I heard of, but instead of ordering online, I bought a different brand that was available at the local music store. This was a mistake - they cost about the same, but they were absurdly large and simply did not fit in my ears at all, so I wound up buying these as well.
These fit perfectly in my ears and would fit just about anyone's ears, I expect, and do a fabulous job of filtering noise. I wear them while practicing the violin, and they reduce the sound of the instrument (long-term exposure to the violin can damage a violinist's hearing) and also the surface noise of the bow rubbing against the violin. While someone standing a few feet away listening to a violinist won't hear that noise, the hissing or scratching is very audible to the one playing the instrument, and wearing these earplugs allows me to listen to my sound with the ears of someone standing a few feet away. As a performer, this is very helpful as it gives me a much better idea of how I sound to others. I would highly recommend purchasing these if you are a musician or if you like to go see live bands, which can often be overwhelmingly loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relief for Sensitive Ears, April 18, 2011
Eli Hayon (North Miami Beach, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I forced myself to buy these plugs after I went to a Slayer/Megadeth/Anthrax concert and had rining in my ears for the next 4 days. I am not as young as I used to be and I was really close to the stage in front of some large speakers. I saw someone wearing plugs like these and kicked myself for not investing in them sooner.

I bought the plugs specifically for an Iron Maiden concert I went to on Saturday 04/16/11 in Fort Lauderdale at the BankAtlantic Center (closed theatre - no sky) and I have to say they stood up to the test. They work exactly as described, they lower the volume that is all. In fact you can hear some things a little more clearly, but I think it depends on the event. I found Bruce Dickenson's vocals to be a little clearer.

My girlfriend and I were both wearing them and it didn't change the experience at all, it was just as enjoyable with the plugs in having the added benefit of keeping my hearing and not having any ringing in the ears afterwards.

I only have one complaint, but honestly I think this is just a physical constraint of the device itself, it was a little uncomfortable to wear until I found the sweet spot, then it felt just right. It is soft silicone (as opposed to flexible rubber) which is a big plus. This is not a big deal, just stating it.

What I did in order to make it fit just right was just rotate it slowly while in the ear and move it around until it just doesn't feel weird. Either that or just remove it completely and insert at a different angle. If it is not in just right it will distort the sound, make sure there is an air-tight seal from the ear canal to the plug, if there isn't you will know.

I recommend these plugs.

5.0 out of 5 stars great plugs. i'm a musician, May 6, 2010
i am a musician and use these a lot. they are made by the same company that makes filters for the molded variety. I have tried several different sets/generations of molded plugs, and these are just all around better. (*and a LOT CHEAPER).
the filtration is the same, but these seal more reliably. They are easier to put in and take out, too.

Rate and Discover Movies