Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on August 2, 2006
I bought this machine because my basement had flooded and my carpet was soaked with fifty gallons of water. First, I rented a Rug Doctor to take care of the problem, but at $30 a day and an ongoing leak, it was too expensive. So I bought this machine the following day, and I am so glad I did.

It extracted MUCH more water from the carpet than the Rug Doctor did. The suction power is wonderful. I suspect that the previous reviewer simply needed to re-adjust the plastic cover on the top of the machine, and s/he would have had much better luck.

In addition to the powerful suction, this carpet shampooer has many other pros. The machine folds up and stores easily. The carrying handle is convenient - particularly when carting it up and down stairs. The shampoo dispenser is seperate from the clean water tank. (I don't like to store the machine with water in the tank, and with other cleaners, I have had to pour out the expensive shampoo with the clean water. That's not the case here.) Also, this is convenient because you can go over an area with ONLY clean water - no shampoo at all. The tanks are VERY easy to remove and replace. There is no struggling with them at all. The tanks are easy to empty and fill as well. The handle is WONDERFUL. No more pushing and pulling with one hand! This works more like a lawn mower - you can use two hands at a more comfortable height. The design is very simple and easy to clean before storing. The front "hood" comes off after moving two simple clips, and it can be rinsed in the sink. The brushes can be turned off for times when you only want to use suction. The hand attachment is convenient for usage on stairs and furniture. It is also simple to engage and disengage.

I have absolutely no complaints about the machine itself. It is excellent in every respect, far out-performing any other machine I have ever used for extraction or shampooing.

The shampoo that comes with the cleaner is wonderful, too. Nearly every carpet shampoo I have tried has given me a headache. This one does not. It does a terrific job getting stains out of carpet. My only complaint is that it is hard to find! I have resorted to ordering it directly from Eureka because I haven't found it at any stores here in town.

All in all, I HIGHLY recommend this extractor.
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2006
Despite reading some negative reviews regarding suction at various sites while doing my research, I decided to take a chance on the Eureka 2596A Atlantis Optiheat Carpet Extractor. This unit replaced an aging Hoover SteamVac Deluxe on which the electrical cord met its fate as a doggie chew toy.

Comparing the Eureka to the Hoover is relatively easy since the Hoover had been used only two weeks prior to receiving the Eureka. With three dogs and two cats using the doggy door my light colored carpets get plenty of muddy paw prints after rain or snow. I've developed a pre-treat system of lightly spraying the carpet area to be cleaned with pre-mixed water/detergent solution and giving heavy traffic areas a little extra spray then letting it sit for 10 minutes. This has been continued with the Eureka.

Carpet Cleaning - Advantage Eureka

The Eureka's side-to-side action with stiffer brushes does a much better job of cleaning dirty carpets and other pet stains than Hoover's Spin Brushes. The Hoover's brushes are just to soft to provide adequate agitation. The Eureka seems to spray more solution deeper into the carpet, has better agitation, and just gets carpets cleaner with fewer passes. I'm not sure if it was the Eureka multi-surface solution, or using the clean water rince for the final pass, but when the carpets did dry, they were much softer. Eureka also incorporates a grooming brush and cleaned carpets did not exhibit the swirl streaks the Hoover would always leave. Was it the machine or the detergent solution that got the carpets cleaner? Hard to tell, but I will stick with the Eureka brand solutions since it has done so well thus far.

Water Extraction - Advantage Hoover

The Eureka just doesn't pull as much liquid out of the clean carpet as the Hoover. The result is carpets that take twice as long (overnight or even longer) to thoroughly dry. I've read some reviews that say to make sure the cover is seated correctly and the access panel for the extension hose is closed. Mine is seated correctly but still did not pull as much water from the carpet as my old Hoover.

Convenience - Advantage Eureka

With the folding handle, removable tool caddy, no latches on the tanks, seperate detergent tank (no premixing), detergent adjustment/clean water rinse feature, handle mounted brush on/off switch, and slightly lighter weight, the Eureka is more pleasant to use. It may also be slightly quieter, but not by much. One huge advatage is the removable cover. If carpet fibers or debris begin to accumulate in the extractor section, remove the cover, clean, then replace the cover. With the Hoover, it was necessary to upend it and use a coat hanger or pipe cleaner to clean out the debris. Another item worth mentioning is the Eureka multi-surface solution that came with the unit. There was almost zero foam which means emptying the dirty water tank less often.

Perceived Build Quality - Advantage Neither

Although I am convinced the Eureka is a good machine, the plastic handle seems flimsy and they recommend removing liquid from the tanks before tilting the unit back on its wheels to move it from room to room. The Hoover with the tanks mounted on the handle didn't feel as flimsy. However, the Hoover uses a cheap plastic hose to connect the extension hose to the suction unit. Mine had split repeatedly and was part of the decision to change to another brand. Both machines have some minor leaking and I would strongly recommend removing liquid from the tanks before storage.

If I had it to do over again would I still buy the Eureka? Probably. My ideal machine would have the Hoover's suction and strong handle (but with Eureka's loop and folding design), the Eureka's cleaning ability and convenience, and have the Eureka's cleaning solutions as widly available as the Hoover's.

Why 4 stars? I debated on 3 because of the poor liquid extraction, but because it cleans so well, has more user-friendly features, and has a price advantage over both Hoover and Bissel, I decided to give it a 4.
on August 29, 2006
Although 90% of our home is covered in wood flooring, I needed a good carpet cleaner because of what I call, our "full figured" kitty. Without going into detail, she cannot groom herself much due to her weight problem and leaves little messes on the little carpet we do have.

In any event, being the anal researcher I (usually) am before any purchase, I had read numerous reviews and opinions regarding several carpet cleaners and had my heart set on a Hoover F5906-900. Eureka was not even considered for some reason. As my luck would have it, Wal-Mart was out of this particular model (which was a good thing for once) and being the impatient person I am, decided to purchase the Eureka. What attracted me most was the compact storage.

To make a long story even longer, here is my review:

Pros:

Compact enough to store in my pantry,

Lightweight,

Easy to carry,

Easy to clean,

Terrific suction,

No assembly required,

Two different storage tanks,

Separate tank for soap,

You can actually feel the brushes working,

Attachment for stairs worked like a dream, and

Keeps the hot water hot for up to 30 minutes

Cons:

None

In a nutshell, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this machine!
on May 25, 2007
I'm a cleaning fanatic (I'm also an old retired guy without much else to worry about).
When I first got this machine, I loved it, even though the tank removal was a bit messy and I thought the suction to be a little weak. I used it a lot, though, and it did a good job! However, after about 13 months, the machine had a complete meltdown (think China syndrome). First, I began to see cleaning solution in the water tank. Then I began to notice increased water spots when the machine was left on a carpet for any period of time. Finally, after applying a full tank of warm water, I observed that the waste water tank had virtually nothing in it. In addition, the cleaning solution tank had completely emptied itself in a puddle on the floor without the machine even being turned on.
Now I'm a retired mechanical engineer so I figured I could fix it. Much to my chagrin, when I took the thing apart, I found that virtually every plastic joint was riddled with cracks from either stress or over-tightening of joints or both. Small broken bits of plastic literally tumbled out when I turned the machine on its side. I'm persistant but not crazy. It sits by my trash cans now awaiting its final fate.
I've decided to take a chance on a Bissell 9400. I'll have it next week and will soon after give an initial opinion for anyone interested. But ... in a similar circumstance, I might have given a good opinion of the Eureka.
Be that as it may, I think that the Eureka, though initially good, is badly engineered and assembled and will yield much woe over time. Bissell? I've had a lot of Bissell products over the years and I can't recall ever thinking I didn't get my money's worth. I'm a little scared about the 9400 I have on order but just about anything beats a Rug Doctor or hiring a "professional" carpet cleaner. (For those of you that haven't tried, you can, in the privacy of your own home and with your very own machine, outclean even the best of them! Honest! And there's no time constraints and you can save a bunch of money. You can do a little any time you feel like it and whenever its needed. What a luxury.)
on May 15, 2006
It folds down neatly and pretty powerful suction. However, the seals of both water and cleanser dispensers are badly designed. They leak and leaves a pool of liquid under the machine. Everytime the water/soap tank is removed, water will drip and pool around the base of the unit. Never leave unused water or soap for it'll just drip and ruin your carpet/wood floor.
on February 10, 2007
We also bought this cleaner and thought it worked ok when we first started. The soap that went with it left a horrible residue on the carpets that attracted dirt only a day or so after. The tanks LEAK!! EVERYWHERE!! They leave huge puddles on the floor. The soap dispenser cracked and it is the part that comes off the machine the least. It leaves behind tons of water in the carpet and the hand tools are a joke. Don't make the same mistake try a different brand instead.
on May 19, 2006
We bought the edition prior to the one with the fold down handle. We had it serviced twice for the leaky seals that just made pools of water on the floor. We can't even use it. I cannot recommend it based on the poor design of the seals.
on February 28, 2007
I bought this thing about 3 weeks ago and have used it twice. The second time using it, the shampoo bottle seat broke, so the shampoo bottle will not seat properly and I now have dirty water spots on the carpet. The suction of this unit leaves alot to be desired. The carpets are still a little damp 1 1\2 days later. The 101 point scrubbing system is a joke. As far as Eureka's customer service, I gave up on them as I am still waiting to hear from them 4 days later. I returned this worthless piece of s%*t and got my money back. If I could give this thing -5 stars, I would. My advice is to avoid this thing like the plague. Tonight I will be hand cleaning the spots that this cheaply made piece of s%*t left behind.
on August 13, 2007
I have kids and dogs and use my scrubber a lot. I owned several hoovers, a couple of Bissells and ended up with the Eureka. I was very impressed with the suction power of the machine, it worked better than all of the others I had owned. After 2 weeks, the cheesy handle wouldn't stay upright, so I exchanged it and the same thing happened a week later, but ended up dealing with it. I still use it regularly, but have replaced the gaskets between the tanks and the machine portion twice, the handle is almost non existent, the separate solution tank leaks all over the floor and the brushes quick working. Not a very old machine for all of the problems.
on October 10, 2006
After only a month after purchasing this, the spray pump stopped working. I exchanged it where I bought it. Not even a year later, it completely stopped working out of the clear blue - no indication whatsoever besides the horrible leaking. The gaskets fell off. The foot pedal broke internally. It is assembled poorly. It is a pain to maintain - clogs easily. Keep in mind I baby'd it the whole time. My only positive comment about this unit is that it folds up very conveniently. But after my experience - and from what I hear from Eureka insiders - I will NEVER buy anything from them again.