on December 21, 2007
This is one heavy vacuum and it has a louder than usual noise, a pitch that hurt my ears. However, the amount of dust and lint in the canister was amazing and the "power paw" is great for stairs and furniture and the duster is really a nice feature. The way it cleans itself is so cool. Overall, I'd say this is a great vacuum, but he noise and weight take away a few stars.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 16, 2008
This is one of the absolute BEST vacuum cleaners I've ever owned and I've owned a LOT of them with a Great Pyrenees for a house dog!! He's 7 yrs old and we've easily gone through 9 vacuum cleaners so I do consider myself an expert here.

Yes, hair will get clogged/wrapped around the top of the bagless container but that is a small inconvenience compared to the amazing suction power this thing has.

I used a Dyson with all the bells and whistles when I worked in a funeral home..........this Eureka Capture bagless is much better, far less complicated and a lot lighter than a Dyson.

I looked at the Bissell Healthy Home vac but decided against it and bought this Eureka Capture bagless and I am soooooo happy with my purchase.
I used my old vac then used this new one and let me tell you, it sucked up hair we didn't know existed!! I mean our dog has 12-14 inch hair on his haunches.....we have lots of HAIR.

I've had this vac for over a year now, not a thing wrong with it. Having a dog with long hair I expect hair to get tangled up so a chopstick will unclog the hair and I'm on my way again.

Don't forget to clean out the sponge type filter under the bagless part. It collects a lot of dust, no biggie just toss it in the sink and wash it by hand, dries quickly and off you go.

I do love this vac!!
on February 27, 2008
I just love this vacuum. I just got it and was very very suprised at the amount of dust and hair in the canister! The attachments are better than any other vacuum I have had! Just love it thats all I can say!
on February 20, 2009
I was on my way to buying a Dyson, but couldn't justify spending $400 at the time. I happened on to this vacuum and thought it would do the job for almost a 1/4 of the price. I should have bought the Dyson. This vacuum does get the pet hair, if you pass over the same area four or five times. The filters need to be cleaned after every use. (I vacuum twice a week) It does not work on bare floors. The dusting tool is a joke, it just spreads the dust. It is the loudest and heaviest vacuum I have ever owned. I am completely dissappointed in this product. I wish I would have returned it before my husband disposed of the box. I hope it breaks soon, so I can justify buying the Dyson.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 8, 2008
I recieved this product from my parents as a Christmas present and had been waiting for this great vacuum. Well it worked great when I got it, but then after time it didn't work so well. It picks up my dog's hair (who is a lab mix), but it gets clogged in the filter and it is a pain to clean out because you have to either stick your hand up the vacuum in the very little space allowed or take it apart (which is what my sister did before hers totally stopped working about a month or so ago, which she did get at Christmas also!). Well last night as I was vacuuming all of a sudden the vacuum stopped working. I walked around the corner to see if the plug had come out of the wall even though I knew I was still pretty close...it sure hadn't. The vacuum died and I haven't even had it a year. Hope I can still return it!!! I would not recommend this product if you have pets. You can make the choice if you don't have pets, but I had just got my puppy the first part of Nov. so he isn't that old yet and he is just now starting to really shed!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 6, 2008
I have two dogs with LOTS of hair, I have a lab/border collie mix and a golden retriever. I was and still am amazed with this vacuum! The main thing is the floor roller part does not wrap hair around it like others do, and I have longer carpet and it gets all of the hair and gets right up to the base boards! I have and will continue to recommend this to many!!!
on December 14, 2008
I've had Electrolux (better before the company got sold), Hoover (big waste of money), and iRobot (overpriced gimmick that's fun to watch). Years ago I asked a friend who repaired vacuum cleaners which was the most reliable vacuum cleaner brand and she said Eureka. She was right. This is my second Eureka (first one still works fine!). The price is reasonable, it's reliable, and gets the job done. You can't go wrong with an Eureka.
on February 24, 2009
This vacuum cleans great. One problem; the hose completely clogged up. I called customer service and they told me to use a broom handle. The broom handle would not reach far enough. Customer service then told me to use an air gun. I told them I did not have one. They then asked me if I had a plummer's snake. Sure, I am sure most of us carry a plummer's snake. They had no other useful advice. I told them to call me when they have a solution. I have not heard back from them. Great vacuum if you want to use once, get a clogged hose and cannot get rid of the clog. What was Eureka thinking, I guess they were not thinking about the clogs.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 9, 2010
I do like this sweeper. It has great suction and cleans amazingly well, better than my past two sweepers both Hoovers. It is loud & heavy but still maneuverable so I can live with that.

But I did have a problem. I have had it two (2) years and had to replace the brushroller (beaterbar) twice and just bought my third. The brushroller is made entirely of plastic and has melted twice! The original melted at about 14 months and the first replacement melted at 9 months.

What seems to happen is long hairs (I have two cats and a long haired daughter) get wrapped around the ball bearing assembly on the metal cap ends (separate pieces) on the ends of the brushroller. The hair is so tightly wrapped, it freezes the bearing assembly which then will not turn. The motor is so powerful it forces the plastic brushroller to still turn and in less than 30-40 seconds friction heat gets so hot it melts the end of the plastic brushroller. The hair only seems to get wrapped on the cap on the drive belt end of the brushroller.

The brushroller end is not supported when melted and vibrates so badly the sweeper is useless. There is a burning smell of plastic when this happens. There is no warning this is about to happen and melts the plastic before you can turn it off. The only way to inspect this part is to take 4 screws out, remove the top cover and remove the rollerbrush assembly, and finally the end cap. I don't know if you can remove the tightly wrapped hair or not when it is this tight. It is quite difficult when I tried to do this on a failed part. There could have been melted plastic mixed with the hair when I unsuccessfully tried to remove the hair on a failed bearing assembly. There is no way to fix a melted end of the brushroller so it is supported by the bearing assembly and no way to flip it end for end as the drive belt only attaches on one molded end.

I decided to try my third brushroller buying this 2nd replacement @ $16 from [...]. With shipping at $10 this part is expensive for someone on fixed income. If this fails again, I don't know I'd buy another Eureka if they all share this defective design.

If the brushroller was made of metal like the ball bearing cap assembly, it would survive this problem. If the hair was prevented from entering the vital spinning bearing support shaft it not occur either.

My rating is a 3 because of this apparent poor design for hair wrapping around the ball bearing assembly, and the choice of an entirely plastic brushroller. Otherwise the sweeper works great removing much debris from the carpet. I have not had any other problems some other reviewers reported.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 14, 2009
I am so surprised to read all of the negative reviews about this vacuum because it really is the best, most feature-packed workhorse of a vacuum I've ever owned. I've owned mine for over a year now and it still works as well as it did on day 1. I live in an environment that makes keeping a clean house very challenging: small children, a heavily shedding Labrador, lots of sand and dust. This vacuum does a fantastic job of cleaning it all up.

1. The "power paw" is amazing. Black dog hair doesn't stand a chance on my white linen sofa. The rapidly spinning brush and strong suction on this attachment are very effective at quickly removing all of the pet hair, dander and dust from my furniture.

2. The regular brush attachment that comes with this vacuum is oval shaped instead of round, and that narrower opening gives it much stronger suction. I love the oval shape, which makes it better suited to vacuuming the tops of my baseboards than a round one would be. I use this attachment for almost all of my dusting: blinds, windowsills, cabinet trim, door frames, etc. It works very well for this.

3. I recently started using the self-cleaning dust wand and LOVE it. It probably wouldn't be good for overhead dusting, or for things like windowsills and blinds, but for cleaning all the hair and dust bunnies that gather under beds, dressers and sofas, it's perfect. This is assuming you're using it on uncarpeted floors. I store a lot of stuff under my bed, and this duster is long and fits through all the nooks and crannies, pulling the gunk out with it. Then I put it in its little compartment, push down on the lever and voila! it's clean again and ready for action.

Like another reviewer noted, the vacuum spins all the dirt and dust around into a compact cone, which makes emptying the canister a lot less messy. Yes, debris sometimes gets trapped in the space above the canister, but it's no big deal to clean it out, and usually happens, I've found, when the canister gets too full.

I do a lot of vacuuming, and the only maintenance I do regularly on this vacuum is to empty out the canister. I wash out the foam filter underneath the canister *maybe* once every couple months. It's usually caked with dust by then, but the vacuum still has great suction, even when this filter is dirty. As for the other filters that have to be replaced regularly, I have yet to replace them.

This vacuum is, I suppose, on the loud side, and it is heavy. My one and only complaint about it is that the front of the vacuum has no finger hold or anything to grab on, so carrying it up stairs is a bit cumbersome. I have 5 wood steps from my living room to my kitchen, so in order not to scratch the steps, I have to grab the vacuum by the handle and lift it. It would be nice if there was something to hold on to on the opposite side with my other hand to make this task easier.

When the time comes to replace this vacuum, I hope they're still making them because I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations