I was not sure about bagless vacs, so last year purchased a Hoover mini bagless vac. It worked well , then starting acting up. Since that vac was only $39, I decided to try a nicer bagless, with good reviews, and bought the Airspeed Gold bagless because it was on sale. Am I glad I did!

The Airspeed really lives up to the advertising claims! WOW, the pick-up...
Published on October 16, 2011 by E. Estrada

3.0 out of 5 stars Good vacuum - terrible canister design!
Published on May 3, 2011 by Jill P.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars AirSpeed lives up to advertising and REALLY SUCKS! In a good way ;-D, October 16, 2011
This review is from: Eureka AirSpeed Bagless Upright (Kitchen)

The Airspeed really lives up to the advertising claims! WOW, the pick-up power! It had been a week since I vacuumed my room and the carpet looked clean, but gave the vac its first whirl. The Airspeed picked up the deep hidden dust, dirt and the Arm & Hammer and Love-My-Carpet "salts" that the old vacuums left behind! It also raised up the nap/fibers of the carpet. I kept vacuuming the carpet and picked up more deep down grime. The canister was 2/3 full and showed the girt, dirt and dust. There were "dark grey" dust bunnies pulled out of the "clean carpet" from the deep hidden dirt, the carpet felt softer. So much so, that my 9-year-old daughter laid down on the just vacuumed carpet and said "Daddy, the carpet is soooo soft!"

The high traffic area in our living room carpet is less matted and cleaner. The Airspeed picked up the dark colored deep dirt and brought the color closer to the original color. The carpet is 10 years old, the vac cannot completely "restore" the carpet, but if we had had the Airspeed vacuum, the carpet would have stayed newer looking longer.

Because of allergeries, we have an allergen reducing clothes washer, use pleated filters in the AC/Furnace and change them every 2 weeks when the unit is running a lot. The Airspeed with the hepa filter is now one more tool for taking allergens out of the home; not to mention the hose reaches the return registers without having to pick up the vacuum. In the past, after changing the filters, I used a broom to knock off the dust on the registers then vacuumed under the registers.

The inter-sliding 180-degree-flip-over extension wand is a bit clunky to use, but works fine and the attachments fit on the fixed half of the wand, over the wand, and on the flip-over extension half of the wand, attachments fit on the inside of the wand's bell mouth. When vacuuming along the baseboards with the attachments, the suction pulls the dust off the top of the baseboards with just the crevice tool (usually we have had to use the dusting brush attachment). After using the crevice tool for a while, the suction pulled the extension wand and attachment tightly together and it took some effort to pull them apart--just a bit more of a stronger yank then I was expecting.

There is a ball valve "or switch", that must be turned to change from floor to hose and back again. The knob/lever is plenty big and easy to turn. So, if the vac is not picking up on the floor, check the valve position. I have done this twice myself. ;-)

Vacuum is easy to assemble. No tools are needed. The power cord kept popping out of the top holding clip. I took a black zip tie and zipped it over the top of the clip and that took care of the cord popping out. You can use twine, but the black zip tie "disappears" against the black plastic. There are built-in holders for all the attachments including the turbo nozzle (not the filter cleaning brush) and a carry handle. Since I have a single story home have not used the carry handle much.

The vacuum is 14 inches (35.6 cm) when laid flat from the floor, so will not fit under a bed, but does go under the children's bed about 10 inches (25.4 cm). However, the turbo nozzle on the extension wand should get completely under the bed.

The turbo nozzle was missing in the box and customer service is sending out a replacement. I cannot wait to try that out for cleaning under the bed and the mattresses.

There is a pet version of this vac, AS1002A, with a pet hair version of the turbo nozzle and the vac is less prone to clogging an easier to clean out according to Eureka website.

A tip, when vac is not in use, put floor height setting on high carpet. This keeps the bristles in the beater brush from getting mashed, working like new longer, and will not have to replace as often.

Dumping the canister and dusting off the main filter is best done outside or low inside a tall kitchen trashcan with a liner bag; also found that putting the canister into a plastic shopping bag and opening the canister inside the bag works well too on rainy days. Check to see there are no holes in the grocery bag first! Been there done that too! ;-D

The supplied filter brush just does not get down into the pleats of the main filter. I purchased a hair coloring brush (stiffer bristles work better) for $1 from a beauty supply store and it gets between the pleats of the filter. When you wash the filter, a slow steady flow works better to flush out the grim. If some of the "clay type dirt" clumps in the pleats, the rounded handle end of hair coloring brush "digs" out the clay clumps without putting holes in the filter. Guys, do not use your wife's or girl friend's coloring brush or you will be in the doghouse! The bristles will get a mangled and dirty.

If you are going to buy a "second" main filter for a "quick filter switch over", I would suggest purchasing a second plastic "dust cup" since it is part of the "filtering system" which you can purchase for a couple of bucks from eureka.com; which also offers a maintenance package that sends you two sets of filters a year automatically.

To get "great suction" parts have to fit together well. Putting the canister back together takes some figuring out a first few times. In addition, getting the canister assembly back into the vacuum takes a little finesse. Just take your time...the great results are worth the little extra effort. Also, found that moving the Airspeed slowly, forward and back, then criss-cross, over the carpet brings up the deep down dirt and pulls up the carpet nap/fibers the best.

From work experience, I know that when things are dirty, (like the deep down hidden dirt in the carpet,) that at the beginning the filter is going to need a lot more cleaning. However, as the carpet is vacuumed regularly, the carpet will get cleaner and the filter will need cleaning less often. Right now, I am cleaning the filter every time I use the vacuum, so do not toss out this great vacuum because you are cleaning the filter a lot at the start. Do not blame the vacuum because of an extremely dirty carpet. In fact, the first time we vacuumed the living room, which gets the most traffic in our home, the vacuum stopped sucking because the carpet was that dirty deep down. We dumped the canister and dusted off the filter and the Airspeed started working again; then finished vacuuming.

BTW, I do not work for Eureka or Hoover and do not own stock in either company. This is just my honest opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars great vacuum, great purchase, May 8, 2011
This review is from: Eureka AirSpeed Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
After scanning vacuum reviews on this and other sites, we eventually settled on the Eureka Airspeed -- on other sites this vac actually had hundreds of good reviews which landed it in my top three. After purchasing/using this vacuum and coming back to read these previous reviews, I am dumbfounded by the negative reviews. I find the complaints of difficult assembly or use completely off base (I'll leave it at that, so as not to insult any physical capabilities).

I can only compare to my previous vacuum, but these are my thoughts:
*Power/performance: Excellent!!! Wasn't all that surprised at how much dirt and dog hair (golder retriever) it picked up, as the reviews prepared me for that...even after vacuuming with old vac. But was shocked at how much actual carpet fiber it picked up off our NINE year old carpet!
*Upholstery attachment: LOVE. Put my previous one to SHAME -- the spinning brush makes a world of difference. (I owe anyone who previously sat on my furniture a huge apology!)
*Noise: Quieter than my previous
*Maneuverability: surprisingly easy, based on its size. Lifting up stairs, as awkward as any upright vac...it is what it is.
*Canister: this is my first canister vac, so time will tell whether I prefer it to a bag vac, but I can't imagine any canister vac would be much easier to empty -- had no issue with messiness, just drops out the bottom -- was a little awkward to hold until I discovered the little finger-sized handle on the back
On a side note, I recommended this vacuum to a friend that was also vac shopping (has half carpet, half hardwood) and she called to thank me. She "LOVED" her new vac. As do I.

I would encourage shoppers to check out other site reviews (i.e. Walmart, Target) as there are too few here on Amazon at this time to make an accurate comparison. Then come back to Amazon to purchase, of course :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great - IS high maintenance though, April 18, 2011
This review is from: Eureka AirSpeed Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
Ive been researching Dysons for weeks now. My friend got the DC25 so i've been using hers. I found this one at Walmart and decided to try it since its much cheaper and "works as well as a Dyson". I go through vacuums in 2 years because I vacuum my house everyday, PLUS clean houses for a living. It works awesome. Great suction. I vacuumed my entire house and SHAMPOOED the carpets not even 6 hours prior with my old vacuum and this thing found TONS of extra sand and hair! My husband couldnt believe it!

I dont plan on it lasting years and years like a Dyson, but for the price and performance, its perfect. Lots of cool attachments, easy to use the attachment hose...long cord, long hose. Easy to assemble, easy and great on hardflooring, too.

Update: Have had the vacuum 2 months now...still LOVE IT! It gets out SOOOOOO much dirt. You DO, however, have to empty and clean/brush out the filter every other time for optimal suction. I really dont mind this, as I do it anyway to keep the vacuum in good shape. Ive let the filter go a couple weeks - and I can tell it loses suction power (more on the hard tile) but if I keep the filter clean, its fine. Im going to buy a second filter so I have the ability to switch out and rotate them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good vacuum - terrible canister design!, May 3, 2011
This review is from: Eureka AirSpeed Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
I've had this vacuum for about two months now. Our old one unexpectedly broke down right as we were preparing to move out of our house, and I didn't have time to research vacuums, order one, and wait for it to arrive in the mail. We went to WalMart and this model seemed like a good compromise between the $400 Dysons and the $40 cheapo vacs that break down after a few years. I've got no complaints about how well it performs - it sucks up all crumbs, cereal, dirt, hair, and Legos my two kids and three cats can throw at it. What I hate is the canister. It is impossible to take apart without getting your hands filthy by touching dirty inside parts. You'd better disassemble it directly over a trash bag, because the top more often than not has a ring of crud caked around it that crumbles as soon as you lift it from the canister, and dirt goes everywhere. Putting it back together is either easy as pie, or takes several frustrating minutes - usually the latter. After emptying the canister, it seems I always have to clean up the mess it made on my floor, and wash my hands. What a hassle! Makes me not want to empty it as often as I should - which, of course, only makes it worse when I do. Overall, it does its job and it's not a terrible vacuum, but if I'd had the opportunity to research more, I probably wouldn't have bought this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eureka Airspeed, October 6, 2011
This review is from: Eureka AirSpeed Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
After looking at some of 449 reviews giving a 4.5 star rating on another site I decided to give it a try. Eureka has not made a model that was a star since they made the Excailiber. It is easy to put together and has very powerfull suction. The floor or tool selector gives the most direct path to the dirt container increasing the vaccum and far less chances of dirt plug ups while using the floor brush. [The Excailiber had this also] Its nice to see the smaller hose design return . The dirt and filter container pops out in one peice and you push a button and the dirt drops out the bottom into garbagecan. Most of the dirt is trapped into the bottom of the container making less cleaning of the washable filter. [the heppa filter is not washable but lasts a long time] The Cons are: 1 The Vaccum is alittle heavy. 2 There is no headlight ...

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprising amount of power, more than my Dyson, October 26, 2011
This review is from: Eureka AirSpeed Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
I own a Dyson ball vacuum and am very happy with it. However, when one of my son's moved into an apartment with carpeting it became obvious that he needed a vacuum and I didn't feel like he needed the $400+ Dyson. This machine seemed to have a similar design and was priced well. I bought it for him, put it together in about 20 minutes, and gave it a spin. Wow! This is one powerful vacuum. It picked up so much dust and fine dirt from his carpet that it looked noticiably brighter.

The only complaint that I have is that it is hard to move around on the carpet, and I'm not a little guy. Maybe I have been spoiled by using a Dyson ball, but I had to really put some effort into pushing it from one end of his small living room to the other. Except for that, it seems like a very good vacuum and a great value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does a good job, but beware..., December 28, 2011
This review is from: Eureka AirSpeed Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
I purchased this upright after the Hoover I had owned for years broke. I was immediately pleased with the good job the Eureka Airspeed did. Good suction. But then I ran over the fringe of a floor rug I have. This is something I had done many times with my Hoover with no problems, but with the Eureka the brush belt snapped the minute the rug fringe got caught up in the spinning brush and created any resistence. I thought it was a fluke and, since the Eureka came with a spare belt in the box, I replaced it. Not 10 minutes later when I accidentally ran over the vaccuum cord, the replacement belt broke as well. Obviously the belts Eureka is producing (or buying from a 3rd party manufacturer) are inferior. I now have an un-usable vaccuum while I wait for replacement belts that I bought via Amazon to arrive. From other reviews I've read, those may be no better...we'll see. Moral of this story? Great vaccuum but DO NOT run over anything with it that will impede or put any strain on the spinning brush.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cleans better than a dyson... For the first use, October 1, 2013
This review is from: Eureka AirSpeed Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
We're habitual filter cleaners. We clean that baby every two weeks. We also empty the canister every time. Better safe than sorry, right?

So, I owned this in bagless and baggy. My husband deployed leaving me uber pregnant and I asked that he leave a vacuum upstairs and one downstairs. I was alone with 2 kids and did enough lifting without having to worry about them. So I used the bag downstairs where we only have one carpeted room, and the bagless upstairs.

Holy loss of suction batman! This vacuum started out great! I was so happy. But our relationship wasn't all rainbows. This baby stopped being useful after 6 months.

I started doing yoga. (Had to lose that baby weight!). Nothing shows you how crappy your vacuum is like downward dogging into a faceful of dog hair.

I switched vacuums and started using the bag version. It didn't get better.

So you know what? I bought a dyson. Not the most expensive one either, the dc33.

You'd have to be on a 30 day crack binge to think this thing cleans better than a dyson, oh yes, I did the test, I used both vacuums, bag and bagless. Then I pulled out the dyson.

It was shameful. I picked up a full canister of dog hair and dirt in that one downstairs room after using both of them. This isn't a bad vacuum if you have no pets. But if you do, avoid this puppy.

2.0 out of 5 stars to be returned, July 30, 2013
This review is from: Eureka AirSpeed Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
Consumer Reports listed this vacuum as a "best buy" but having used it once, it's going back to the store. I don't share the opinion of other reviewers that it is hard to turn on/off, or that the tool dial is a nuisance, or that emptying the dust canister is messy. I didn't even notice those things. But what does bother me:

---heavy, clunky, practically wrenches my arm out trying to manuever it, misses corners

---leaves 5 deep tracks everywhere it goes, the carpet looks etched with stripes

---very poor performance on bare floors

---the tool attachment has rollers that somehow permanently scratched my 50-year old mid-century built-in black vinyl sofa

---the tool hose continually comes loose from it's moorings while using the upright vacuum, flops onto the floor

---the lid of the dust canister is supposed to snap together but doesn't fit

---the bracket holding the tool options won't snap in place, fell off before the first use

The reason I gave it two stars instead of one is because it does clean the carpet well. But using it is such an ordeal I can tell I would dread getting it out. And I don't need any more discouragement in keeping my house clean!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the product it was two years ago!!! DO NOT BUY!!, April 1, 2013
This review is from: Eureka AirSpeed Bagless Upright (Kitchen)
I had bought this same cleaner two yrs ago. I loved it! It would clean anything out of a carpet. I would get an average of three full canisters a day out of my carpts. Not the best on tile but I had another vacuum for that. A couple months back my cat ate the cord. So being as happy as I was I got the same one. IT IS NOT THE SAME!!!!!!! I put it together and got right to work, or not. This newer models canister is half as thick as the last one. Not nearly as strong and sturdy. And where it used to have two wonds, now it only comes with one. Also the tools don't stay on nearly as we'll as the last one. That doesn't help me because I dust with the vacuum as well. I didn't even get half a canister. I called eureka and was told it was the same cleaner as before. They sent me a whole new canister set(canister, filter, filter holder and cover) it did nothing. Still no suction. I can vacuum over the same fur ball and this thing will not pick it up. After calling them back I was told there was nothing they do. Please do not buy this vacuum, you will be disappointed. I am now on the hunt for a new vacuum. (Not a eureka might I add.) and I will be eating the cost of this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›