5.0 out of 5 stars Great "3 season" tent
Published on May 19, 2011 by Brian Meehan

2.0 out of 5 stars quality control absent
Tent came missing some of the straps that attach it to the poles. Contacted Eureka and was told "why don't you mail it to us and we'll see if someone here can sew them on for you, but it may take us awhile because we're doing inventory right now." Fortunate we had ordered thru Amazon which gave us a pain free exchange. Extremely small print on packaging says "made in...
Published on October 4, 2011 by Ken MacDonnell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "3 season" tent, May 19, 2011
Brian Meehan (southwest OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eureka! Apex 3XT - Tent (sleeps 3) (Sports)
We bought the previous version (poles slide thru the fabric tunnel instead of tent clipping onto poles) in late 2004 or early 2005 and it lasted 5, almost 6, years. We went camping for 3 to 5 weekends each year in snow, rain, and sun and it worked well. Each time after use we would air dry it and the plastic it sat on and the plastic we had in it (bathtub!). Eventually the waterproofing wore out and one door zipper broke. Now that the other door zipper has broken several trips later, we are replacing the tent with the next generation of the same thing.

It looks like most of the things that annoyed us about the first one are fixed in this new 2011 version. Tent easily clips on to poles instead of sliding thru fabric; one person can more easily "up" the newer version of the tent. Mesh was added (not replaced!) to tent doors for air flow instead of only being solid. The vestibule is less awkward to unzip since there is now space to reach out from inside without touching a wet rainfly, plus a little more room in the vestibule too.
The gear rack is a nice little addition. A single hanging loop (previous version) was ok for a flashlight but a backpacking tent can be better utilized with a small gear rack to make use of all the inside space.

Several very minor gripes with this tent: there is an exposed part of the tent that the rain fly does not cover, so that needs yearly waterproofing attention (as we already found out). Looks like the nose tie-out is also gone from that same spot too which means that side of the tent isn't held out from inside gear but also means it likely won't touch the rainfly when pulled out too far or due to a wind-flapped rainfly either.

Good purchase, great tent. Good for a new and (our) average backpacking family of 3. Very comfortably fits two average adults with two 40 lb backpacks inside, plus Min-Pin dog or one child. Haven't had 3 adults in it. Airflow is decent in the previous tent in hot weather and hoping it is much better with mesh doors now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tent with a Good Size, September 25, 2011
This review is from: Eureka! Apex 3XT - Tent (sleeps 3) (Sports)
After coming from the Eureka! Apex 2XT - Tent (sleeps 2) I found this perfect for the size I wanted. My son (6YOA) and I are just fine in here as well as our gear. The rainfly is taped and sealed. However, the tent is not. This is direct from EUREKA regarding both the 3XT and 2XT. "Any 3 season tent needs to be sealed - most of this tent is already factory taped but you will have to do the large seam around the full tent where the bathtub floor meets the sidewall- I hope this helps - Eureka Customer Service"

The rainfly attaches to the tent at the top with a pair of twist ties, then velcro straps along the poles under the rainflow and finally to buckles at each corner. The corners are color coded so you get the rain fly on the right way each time. The rain fly creates a vestibule on each side of the tent as both have the side size door/window with a great feature high/low venting, so if you are laying down with no rainfly you can partial lower the door/window at the top and keep the bottom closed for privacy.

The tent goes up in about 5 minutes after your first use and 10 minutes for your first use. The only con I know of so far is this month we went out in about 60 degree weather and it dropped to about 40 over night and the underside of the rain fly was soaked with condensation and any large movement would have knocked a ton of water down through the top of the tent which is just open (NoSeeUm netting of course).

Eureka sells the following footprint as compatible with the Apex 3XT: "Fitted Footprint - Pinnacle Pass 3XTA / Scenic Pass 3XT"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tent, October 8, 2011
Robin Parker (Shawnee, Kansas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eureka! Apex 3XT - Tent (sleeps 3) (Sports)
Perfect for 2 adults (particularly when one is a restless sleeper). I could easily see 2 adults and a kid in the tent. Hint: rotate the rainfly in good weather to make the vestibules easier to get in and out of. Very sturdy and quick to setup. I do a lot of camping and this is the best tent I've had.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Great Tent, December 13, 2012
Doug "DG" (Bedford, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eureka! Apex 3XT - Tent (sleeps 3) (Sports)
I used this tent this last weekend. I camp with the Boy Scouts as an adult leader. I have had a couple of different tents. We also have many different tents from different manufacturers. This beats all of them. The zipper entrance is easy to use and clear of getting anything caught in the zipper like other tents. The rain cover is color coded so you don't have to determine which way to put it on the tent. (One corner tie down is yellow on tent and cover) I put it up by myself at 10:30 PM on a cold night in ~ 15 minutes. I will recommend Eureka tents for our future purchases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Tent, April 24, 2013
This review is from: Eureka! Apex 3XT - Tent (sleeps 3) (Sports)
Perfect for two people plus gear and this thing almost sets itself up. Color coded rain flap corner makes sure you get it on the correct way the first time. As with all tents, the wire "stakes" that come with it leave a little to be desired, and could be upgraded. Packs away easily in the bag and could be thrown on the back of a motorcycle very easily without taking up much room.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice tent, compatible aluminum tent poles?, May 14, 2012
This review is from: Eureka! Apex 3XT - Tent (sleeps 3) (Sports)
just got the tent, set it up outside and sealed the seams where the "bathtub" meets the walls as recommended. perfect size and easy to put up. i'll be camping in it for the first time this friday night. Anybody know if there are any aluminum poles that are the right size to use on this tent? that seems to be the biggest complaint is the fiberglass poles. i'll update after using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tent, November 3, 2011
S. Gray (Harrisburg, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eureka! Apex 3XT - Tent (sleeps 3) (Sports)
This was purchased to use as a two man tent with the boy scouts. It is easy to set up (and take down). Nice compact bag, not too heavy. I do realize that 3 people can fit inside, but with gear and all, it fits 2 comfortably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tent, August 22, 2011
This review is from: Eureka! Apex 3XT - Tent (sleeps 3) (Sports)
This was a great purchase. I have used man different tents in the past, and this one is by far the best. Holds up to rain and wind. Comfortable and easy set up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Tent, June 22, 2011
This review is from: Eureka! Apex 3XT - Tent (sleeps 3) (Sports)
The Tent is a little heavy, but perfect for <3 day backpacking trips, I really like the two pole system this tent has, it can be set up fast and easy in the dark, just under two minutes, double door option is really nice, good air flow for humid areas. Wish the floor was made out of a stronger fabric, strongly recommend laying down a tarp in rocky terrain. But a great deal for the price, can't beat it. If you go camping more than twice a month year round, it may only last a couple of years, I may be wrong though, Eureka makes some great tents!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for backpacking, November 25, 2011
This review is from: Eureka! Apex 3XT - Tent (sleeps 3) (Sports)
It's good, and big. But if you are backpacking and you have to carry a tent for your girlfriend, don't try it. It is so heavy for one person.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Eureka! Apex 3XT - Tent (sleeps 3)
Out of stock