on April 5, 2007
We bought this tent for our kids (who are way too cool to sleep in the RV with Mom and Dad) based partly on Eureka's reputation, but also on its unique design. We were looking to replace our old Coleman Sundome with something a little bigger and to get away from the pole-bending dome style tents. The Copper Canyon series is new to the market and is untried in large quantity by the general public. So we were a bit hesitant to get one. But, after a call to Eureka's Customer Service Dept we decided to give it a shot. If you're like me you find user reviews to be very valuable while researching products, so I thought I'd give my two cents about the Copper Canyon 10. This is my experience and opinion, your mileage may vary. Here goes:

CHEERS: Very roomy. The kids had two cots, a small table and all their clothes with plenty of room left inside. The near vertical walls and seven foot roof allow my 6'2" self to walk around with ease. Though it's only a 10x10 the cabin design makes it seem larger than it is. The door is large enough to assemble cots outside and carry them into the tent. And the large zippered windows on each of the three remaining walls keep the air moving when it's warm out. The roof is all mesh so there's no worry about oxygen depletion when running a catalytic propane heater. However, we've only used it once out in the desert where it barely dipped below 70 degrees at night. I would not recommend this tent for really cold weather, though. The rainfly sits a few inches above the tent and gives adequate coverage. I suspect the interior would stay pretty dry during summer showers but windblown rain would easily soak the inside. Eureka says it's a 3-season tent, but I think it's more of a 2.5 season tent. Used as intended it's very comfortable. And easy to set up; even with one person. After many years of breaking fiberglass poles on dome tents I really appreciate the non-bending design of the frame. The roof frame consists of two fiberglass poles crossed like a dome tent but fit into heavy plastic elbows sewn into each corner. Steel poles are then inserted into the other end of the elbows to support the walls. This design puts very little stress on the tent poles and I expect the shock cords will wear out before the poles break. Finally, the `E! Port' is a cool idea. It's a small flap-covered zipper that is designed to run an extension cord through. We ran a cord from our travel trailer into the tent so the girls could watch the little DVD player they brought. Neat!

JEERS: There are a few, which is why I only gave this tent four stars instead of five. I know this is a 3-season tent, and a cabin design, but even the slightest gusts of wind pushed in the walls quite a bit. There are only four built-in guy lines. One at the top of each corner of the rainfly. And there are four more cordura loops sewn into the rainfly a couple of feet below the built-in guy lines. We used all eight available guy line points and this did a pretty good job of keeping the structure's shape. But the large vertical walls of the tent really blew in with the stronger gusts. Having stake points in the middle of the each wall and guy out points at the top of the walls in addition to the rainfly corners would have made the tent much more stable in the wind. Which leads me to the worthless stakes. You know the kind, basically a thick piece of coat hanger wire with a bend at one end. Jeez! Why do tent makers think anyone would actually use those. Raise the price of the tent by five or ten bucks if you must but please include real stakes! We bought ten good stakes from Cabelas and a plastic container to keep them in and they worked great. Do not try to use the junk that comes with the tent. Another niggle is the two zipper door design. Some may like it but I prefer one zipper that goes all the way from the top of the ""D" to the bottom. The Copper Canyon has one zipper along the bottom and another that goes from the top left down to the end of the bottom zipper. You need to open both in order enter the tent safely. The last is the full mesh roof. While good in warm, dry weather I can think of few places that don't get thunder showers anytime throughout the year. I don't think the fly provides enough coverage to keep rain out of the roof if the wind picks up. It rains often in our local mountains where we summer camp. And it can get pretty chilly in many places where I suspect this tent will be used, even in the summer. The roof just doesn't seem like it will hold in much heat. We'll find out soon, though if it will stay warm and dry during summer storms and chilly nights.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Would I buy this tent again? Yes! I really like the roominess and the ease of setup. If used in mild weather, like we did recently, this is a great tent. It is solidly constructed and while it uses lightweight materials it seems to be pretty strong. Even though it got a little "bent out of shape" when the wind picked up to 15-20 mph nothing ripped, tore or broke. It has a unique design and is huge for 10x10 standards. If you are looking for a big tent with a small footprint and want to stand up in, a dome is out of the question. This tent is a good alternative to the cheapie cabin style department store specials. I would definatley recommend the Copper Canyon for anyone who wants a quality tent and would use it as intended.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 6, 2008
It wasn't until we read countless reviews that my husband and I were ready to purchase our Eureka Copper Canyon Tent. Both on Amazon, and some outside camping forums, we looked at a variety of tents. In fact, this tent was not our first choice. We happened into a sporting goods store and saw our first choice (another brand) up close and realized that while nice, it was much too large for what we needed.

I come from a a background of recreational, functional camping. My first job as a teenager was working for the National Park Service. My husband is much more of a sports camper, in that he is accustomed to a lightweight backpacking tent with room only for him and the dog. Marrying those two ideas of what a tent should be was difficult, but the Eureka Copper Canyon did not disappoint.

We first set it up in our yard on a nice day. As I've done with all of my tents, I used Seam Seal to go over the seams. I don't know that it was necessary with this tent, but it's peace of mind that costs only a few dollars. The set up is fairly straightforward and intuitive. It's size would make it challenging for one person alone, but not impossible in a pinch. With two of us, it took about 15 minutes the first time. Later, setting it up at camp only required 10 minutes.

The cabin style is ideal for those who like to feel like they have a lot of room. 10x10 is not small. The straight walls allow us to walk upright, even at the edge. No hunching, stooping, or putting on your pants while laying on your back in this tent!Our full sized air mattress fit easily; we could have fit two without issue. We also were able to fit the dog beds, some gear, and a floor mat for shoes and still had room left over. The gear loft is smaller, but perfect for storing away smaller items, like wallets, flashlights, and keys. It can hang on the side of the ceiling or directly above, if using it to store larger items like rain jackets.

The true test came on our four day, three night trip to a state park in Wisconsin. We used a tarp underneath for floor protection. The first two nights were perfect. Each wall has a substantially sized mesh window which makes for amazing air flow. The mesh ceiling is nice too, so even when fully zipped, there is enough air getting into the tent. It never felt stifled. On our last night there, we were able to test it in the rain. The rain fly worked beautifully. We had the window on the door open and not a drop came inside. We had to close it as it stormed heavily in the afternoon, but still no water.

Perhaps the most impressive, to me, was seeing the pools of water form between the tarp and the tent. Though they were plain as day, there wasn't a drop coming up into the tent. It was watertight, and not just at the seams. Having been stranded in tents that promised this before, I was terribly nervous that the puddles would make their way inside, but they did not. I should note that overall, the area received about 3.5" of rain that day. While not a record, it was enough that camping could have gone from a nice weekend to a wet one. Rather, we stayed cozy and dry in our tent.

After that weekend, even my skeptical husband had been won over. There are just two of us, but we have two dogs. We bought this tent because we'll start a family soon and we wanted to make one solid purchase to last us the next ten or fifteen years. I believe this tent will do that. We have three more camping trips in the next two months.

I would recommend this tent for families of four, and even though it *could* sleep five, I'd cap it at four if you are planning to have gear in the tent with you. Five would be a tight, but not impossible fit.

My only complaint about this tent, and it is very minor, is the zipper cover on the outside. It catches easily in the zipper, which can be a pain when trying to get in and out quickly to avoid the rain or the northern Wisconsin mosquitos. While you'll have that with a lot of tents, it's worth noting. It can also catch when zipping from the inside, and that can make it difficult to fix, since the flap is on the outside only.

This tent is solid, simple, spacious, and worth every penny.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 12, 2008
This tent exceeded every expectation I had. I was skeptical of only having a stake at each corner, but when properly set up the tent is extremely stable. The steel and fiberglass poles are all heavy duty and the set up is easy with 2 people (only took 10-15 min. without instructions). The rainfly is easily assembled and appears to cover all the mesh. It did not rain on our trip. The nylon seems to be of good quality and the stitching is heavy duty and taped.

The interior is very efficient thanks to the near vertical walls. I would expect to be comfortable with up to 4 people (we were only 2). We really liked the all mesh roof which is great for stargazing and ventilation. We also liked the large mesh windows that can be zipped for privacy. There are large windows on each wall. Everyone else in our group seemed to admire this tent and a few expressed interest in getting one.

The weather was dry and windy the first day. We had gusts up to about 30 mph. and the tent never budged. I suspect the rainfly had a lot to do for the stability as the guy wires anchor close to the support poles.

Overall I love this tent and find it hard to believe that anyone would dislike it. This tent is not designed to handle extreme wind, but anyone with common sense knows you shouldn't use a cabin tent if you expect violent weather.

Tips: 1)Always place a waterproof tarp under your tent.
2)The stakes that come with this tent are subpar. Get some inexpensive steel stakes.
on September 23, 2008
I like this tent so much, I'm actually taking the time to write this review (which I never do for anything). I'd call this the Toyota of tents (well built, reliable, inexpensive). First the setup was incredibly easy. I did it myself, and it took me about 10 minutes for the tent itself, maybe another 5 for the fly, and 5 more for the guyout lines. We set up the inside with a queen air mattress and two single air mattresses and there was still about a 6 x 6 foot area for our gear. It was windy, and rained a bit on our trip, but the tent held up quite well. It stayed completely dry. The winds were about 20-30 mph, and the walls did move in and out maybe about 6 inches each way, which is pretty darn good for a straight wall tent. Here's a few pros and cons:

Pros: Easy setup, easy takedown (fits easily back into the bag), good ventilation (completely mesh screened roof and 4 huge closeable windows), all vital seams are taped. The metal poles are steel cable corded (not chain like the tent description says) which I think is good.

Cons: The bag it comes in is made of the same material as the tent. I wish they had used something a little thicker and stronger because I'm not sure how long the bag will hold up. There are no side pockets inside the tent, only the gear loft that hangs up top. As most other reviews have said, the door zipper gets stuck on the waterproofing flap. This makes it almost impossible to open with just one hand. The stakes that come with the tent are pretty much useless.

Tips: When setting up and taking down the tent, the stakes should be the first and last thing installed and removed. I learned the hard way taking it down, I took the stakes out before the poles, and wound up chasing the tent through the forest when I light breeze picked it up and tossed it. Also buy some real stakes for the tent and ALWAYS use the guyout lines, they are a necessity with this tent even in light winds.

Conclusion: Buy it! You can't do any better for this size in this price range.
on May 28, 2007
Verified Purchase
I just bought this tent and went camping this weekend. It was supereasy to set up, took 15 minutes the first time! Since I camp usually with just my 6yo and myself, I have confidence I can set this up myself if she holds up a side for me. The 10 by 10 size was great - it will fit my family of almost 4 and two dogs easily. The first time we used it, it was just my daughter and myself and we slept on a queen size air mattress - lots of room all around. It was nice and bright inside and good ventilation - we kept the rain fly off and the windows up and did not get condensation inside overnight. The only issue is the door zipper which is not always easy to open and close - it gets stuck and is tight. I looked for a long time for a family sized tent and read review after review, consumer reports, checked-out tents at the store before I bought this one. I am happy I did all the research and happy with this tent. I had doubts that I had bought too small a tent for our (soon to be) family of 4 and two dogs, I almost bought the copper canyon 1213, but this one was still a good size.
on June 12, 2007
just returned from a 7 night adventure with this tent. tent held up well throughout 2 big storms. used Seam Grip and didn't get one drop of water in tent.only minor complaint is you have to be careful with zippers but even if they do snag they come apart rather easily. we had 2 cots and the high sidewalls made for alot of room. would buy this tent again.
on March 22, 2011
I wanted to write this review so anyone else who had been researching tents could get a bit more feedback. Like everyone else I had been researching tents for months and months, the Eureka products, especially the Copper Canyons got consistently great reviews, had vertical sides, lookS great so when the price dropped we jumped on it. We had a small 8x7 tent before, so the 10x10 is palatial for us a family of 3. We are not the most experienced campers yet, but plan on doing alot more.

What attracted me to the tent orginally was the cabin-like vertical side walls. We just hate trying to get up and get dressed in a tent with the sloping sides, or having the wind whip a dome tent in your face when you are sleeping. So I was sure I wasn't going to get a dome tent. besides with a dome tent you can't really even use the sides that slope down. This tent you can use every square inch of it, so the useable space really is 10x10. The height is incredible, my husband is 6"3 and and this so so much more room for him. Yet at 5"3" I can reach the top zippers and install the gear loft easily.

We set up the tent in about 20mins, the very first time, true it was a calm sunny day, instructions are super clear. It goes up so easy, I could see that even I could do it alone. There were 2 of us putting up the rainfly so that might be harder by myself, but i am confident i could do it, just pull the cords over the top or throw the cords over the top and pull. My husband took the kid and the tent camping that first weekend and set it up himself in 15mins..again super easy. I was amazed the vertical poles are so thick and sturdy. Really quality here. The guy wires are already attached at the corners of the rainfly which is so cool, all you have to do is stake them and tighten. I did take the advice of all other reviewers and got better stakes.

Again the problem with dome tents is they barely have any windows and little ventilation. This tent has incredible windows/ventilation. Being in S.CA we probably won't do much cold weather camping, so view and ventilation weighed heavier for us. Being in this tent with the window/door flaps down is like being in a big screened porch. You really feel like you are in nature, and you don't mind being in the tent because you can see what is going on around you, like keeping an eye on the kids. The roof of the main body of the tent is almost completely screen material, which at first shocked and concerned me. I was worried about keeping warm on crisp fall/spring nights. But as my husnabd found out this weekend...it was fine. The rain fly is over the whole thing with plenty of air flow at the top. Just bring warm sleeping bags and pads and dress appropriately. No, it probably will never warm up even with a heater, but that is a trade off for the height and vertical sides, I am willing to take that risk.

Okay true, the biggest complaint all reviewers had was that the floor material is the same as the wall material. So keeping that in mind we of course put a heavy tarp under the tent, just in from the sides. I then spent days researching material to put inside to protect the floor. Eureka makes a floor saver which we tried and returned, too slipper and too thin. Cabella makes a tent carpet but it was expensive at $70, and size was to small. We tried another tarp but again slippery and hated the crinkling sound. So finlly came up with the idea to use a heavy, slip resisitant painters drop cloth. This is the resaon I am writing this review to give you guys this idea. It worked perfectly. The one we got 9x12, only $22 at a paint store. we folded down and centered it.. the slip resistant backing is the key. and its water proof... So that takes care of the floor issue for me. well if you camp with any sharp footed furniture say a cot or stool, it is reccommended you bring something to put under the feet, like a piece of carpeting, or some type of padding or rug. I would be leary of any pointed items unpadded on this floor. We also got a cheap walkoff mat to leave out front to take off shoes, and also have a long yoga mat I will put on the inside to place shoes on when we bring them in at night. Yes this is alot of stuff to bring, just to protect the floor..but again we only go car camping, so throwing a few extra things in the back of the truck in no big deal.

This is not a backpacking tent, it is heavier because of the sturdy poles, I think 30lbs..but heck we've all carried kids heavier then that.
So there is my tome on the Copper Canyon. I hope it helps you make your decsision, I know it is a hard decsion, but we are so thrilled with this tent, I just wanted to share my thoughts to help someone make informed choices. Okay twos more thought...i sometimes wish we had gotten the 13x12 because that one has the front awning, which would be nice in rain or even to keep sun out. But is was alot more $$$ and I figure we can bring our pop-up if we need to, besides 13x12 for 3 people and one little dog seemed like overkill.. It rained on my husband this weeekend and not a drop of water inside. we did seal the seams, which is redundant on the taped seams but I did it anyway. The non taped seams i did seal very carefully. I did see daylight thru a couple of little tiny stitching holes, which i sealed well.

FYI: i did see in one review way down the list that someone said you can add extra guy wires in really bad weather. you can run a wire from loop to loop on the sides then tie on a guy wire in the middle of that cord to the ground. this could give you extra strength on the 10' sides in really bad wind. we haven't tried that, so can't reccommend myself, but I like to be prepared, lots of folks said the tent holds up prefectly well with just the provided guy wires.even in wind.. but just in case bring some extra cord and stakes.

I am so crazy for this tent i bought a 15x12 for my girl scout troop. It sleeps 12, and has a room divider, one side for the girls one side for the leaders. found a 12x15 drop cloth or inside and a big tarp for the ground cover.
HAPPY CAMPING
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 7, 2008
Verified Purchase
This tent is easy to assemble, has quality components and won't break your bank. This is not a backpacking tent. It is heavy and comes in a large/roomy bag. The tent's features are adequate. We use it in the Adirondack mountains where it is woodsy and remote. We enjoy sleeping on a cot instead of the ground and this is the perfect tent for that. We put silicon on it and seam sealer on the seams (we do with all our tents). we are dry and warm. It is large enough for 4 or so, but if you're cot campers, stick with three people and your gear, you'll be more comfortable.
Some comments suggest a flimsy tent...they did something wrong. Yes, the semi-straight walls will catch the wind, so be thoughtful. This tent is perfect for the three season tenter.
Use caution when using a cot on soft ground. You could damage the floor.
Happy camping!
on December 30, 2007
This Tent is the perfect size,shape,weight for a great camping experience. I've put it up and taken down many times by myself with no problems. The square style adds to the easy setup and provides nice room for plenty of gear and a big bed. Windows are big allowing plenty of light. A sales person(kid) tried to talk me out this type by indicating it's only perceived fault which is that rain could get in due to the small overhang over the windows. My experience in an actually downpour was to...close the windows! No problem. I anally reviewed many tents and companies and am 100% satisfied I have the ultimate tent!! The Eureka Designer who came up with this should be promoted. It was well thought out for assembly, strength, room and portability.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 23, 2010
I just got back from a four day keys campout. I was worried about previous reviewers' comments about high winds since I knew we were getting a storm with about 30 mph winds on day 3. This tent worked wonderfully when used properly, except for one problem. I staked the tent as called for in the diagrams. That is the key for getting this tent to work in high winds. Stake down the guy lines attached to the fly diagonally from the corners. Then add guy lines on each tent wall running from cordura loop to cordura loop at the corners. Stake these to the ground halfway between the corners. The tent won't move a bit.

During the rainstorm, two things happened- we got water between the tent and the tarp under the tent and water kept coming down the door of the tent. No water got into the tent even though we left the corners of the windows open slightly in the corners for ventilation. The water between the tarp and tent bottom did come through eventually, but that was our fault. It only appeared to come through under our sleeping pads. We must have wicked it up, somehow. When we moved our sleeping pads, the water went away quickly, so it may have just been condensation.

Here's the flaw- The tent's fly sent water down the door face. Not much, but enough that if we went outside, we were going to get rain in the tent. We had positioned the tent so that the door was away from the approaching storm, but it didn't matter, the fly sent it's water down the tent face. Setting up a tarp won't help either, unless you can somehow attach the tarp to the tent under the fly. Otherwise it would still rain on the door. I'll just put down a towel inside the door to keep the water out. There's no where to put your shoes outside the tent to keep them dry without a vestibule. So you'll have to think up some way to keep shoes out of the weather in front of your tent. Maybe just bring them in and put them in a roughneck tote or on a towel or something.

Other thoughts- You could use this tent for a base camp tent for 3 people, cots and supplies for about a month and not feel cramped. It is that big. I wouldn't put more than about 4 people, plus gear in it, though. There's no vestibule; you would have to provide a tarped area for your gear in order to get six people in it. Buy real stakes- MSR groundhogs. Throw the ones that come with this tent in the trash, just like all the other stakes tent makers send with family tents. Get some good, non-stretch rope for your additional guy lines and leave them attached to the fly once you set them up. Get a floor liner, or buy a good polyethylene tarp and cut it 3" smaller than the tent on each side. We were in a hurry and didn't cut our tarp before going. We paid for it through a wettish floor.

See 1 answered question