5.0 out of 5 stars A Mighty Vacuum!
Published on May 12, 2009 by KMF

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value
The Mighty Mite is a decent vacuum cleaner, especially for the money. I've been through 3 vacuums in 2 years, and I know junk when I see it now. And, for the most part, the Mighty Mite isn't junk.

Published on April 15, 2009 by Richard Rankin

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, April 15, 2009
This review is from: Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover,3684F (Kitchen)

Pros: It is very lightweight, has good reach with the telescoping pole, decent suction, and the pet hair attachment seems to work fine on my sofa and rugs. The HEPA filter is a definite plus and my hope is that the quantity of house dust will be seriously lowered. It is easy to move, but could use a longer cord than 20 ft.

Cons: The instructions don't even MENTION the pet hair attachment! The only references are on the box it comes in. The suction is adjusted by a rotating ring on the handle, exactly where you hand goes. So, if you accidentally move it to a more closed position while your hand is there, your skin gets sucked in with it. All the attachments do NOT go on the canister. There is provision for one small attachment and the crevice tool onboard. Everything else has to go elsewhere. Plus there is no easy way to deal with the hoses and telescoping rod. They don't fit together any special way and won't stand up. The power cord winds up underneath the vacuum and the plug should clip on to the cord. But, the clip on the plug doesn't actually fit over the cord. It is too small and too tight and makes indentations deeply into the cord, so you can't really safely use that 'feature'.

Sometimes, you have to wonder if the manufacturer ever even tried out the machine themselves. For example, the reason this is lightweight is that it uses incredible flimsy plastic hose. I suspect you could poke a finger through it if you tried hard enough. And, the canister itself is also plastic. That isn't theoretically bad, but what happens is, in a static-y environment, the hair and dust you are trying to get rid of is attracted to the hose and canister! So, you end up with a cleaner house and a vacuum completely covered in hairs and dust. That 'feature' isn't mentioned on the box...

Overall, I like this, in spite of all the negatives. Longevity is a bit of concern for the tools and hose, but it has suction, the disposable bag makes for a cleaner house, it is very easy to carry up and down the stairs and has a long enough reach to reach everywhere in my old house. I'm going to keep it...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mighty Vacuum!, May 12, 2009
This review is from: Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover,3684F (Kitchen)
I bought this as replacement for our 10 year old original Mighty. My husband refused to throw it out even tho it had no wheels, the hose was entirely duct taped, the handle was screwed into the hose and clamped, and you had to talk softly to it to get it to turn on...It was pitiful to see but it still worked and had massive power. I have replaced it with at least 6 different vacuums and each would end up in the closet and he would bring the broken down Mighty from the garage to my dismay. While shopping online I saw the Mighty Max Pet Lover, I did not know the company still made it. Anyway, I decided on the Pet Lover since we have lots of pets and it has a lot more power for just a little more money! My husband was so excited you would have thought I gave him the winning lottery ticket. (I have a husband that likes to vacuum, however that's all the housework he does but I ain't complaining) Well, it lives up to it's reputation and we can't be happier. The furniture attachment for pet hair is awesome. You can't go wrong buying this little gem.....Oh, the other one? He still wouldn't throw it away, it's now the official garage vacuum......

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Canister Vac, September 15, 2009
This review is from: Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover,3684F (Kitchen)
We've had this vacuum for about a month and it is really great. It has great sucking power, is really easy to use, is lightweight, and is an overall good design. We're really happy with it and it's been the perfect choice for us.

We have a small 1-bedroom house with no carpet and a 100-pound dog that sheds. Prior to getting this vacuum we had to sweep twice per day and sweeping wasn't great as it tended to send the dog-hair tumbleweeds scooting across the floor in all directions. But I loved the ease of using a broom to get around and under furniture and the lightness of a broom as I have back problems and so tend to avoid upright vacuums when possible.

When I started looking for lightweight vacuum choices, most were the "bagless" variety. After a little research, I concluded that those are a really poor choice for someone with dust allergies, such as myself, as it seemed emptying the bagless vacuums tended to expose one to dust and end up with it on your person. Not good. One of those ideas that's good in concept (never pay for bags again!) but bad in practice (exposed to dust). Once I ruled out bagless vacs that really narrowed the field for lightweight vacs. I also really liked that this vac has a HEPA filter, again for the allergies, as vacuums without it can spit out a lot of dust while vacuuming. Again, not good.

So this little vac is just great. It is really lightweight, but I rarely need to pick up the canister. The wheels work really well and it just scoots across the floor. And one end of the cord wrap underneath pivots so one turn and the entire cord is loose. The wand and floor attachment is really lightweight so it's no burden to push it around. And it swivels easily in all directions. It is so flexible I am able to clean all the way under a queen size bed from one side of the bed. Take that dust bunnies! I never have a problem getting it to where I want to go.

And it's got really good sucking power. Enough power that if you go over a bath mat or area rug it sucks it right up off the ground. But wait! One of the cool features I didn't see in any of the other reviews! Say you're vacuuming your hard floor and you want to vacuum an area rug without sucking it off the floor. There's this cool little adjustment right where your hand goes where you can open a hole in the wand and it reduces the sucking power enough that you can vacuum that area rug without sucking it off the floor. And when you're done with the rug, a little twist on the adjustment piece and you're back to full sucking power. Very cool. I have occasionally sucked my shirt tail into that little hole when it's open, but no harm done. There's also no edge issues - a space between the floor head and the wall - it gets right up against the edge, at least on hard surfaces.

All the tools fit onboard other than the pet attachment, which I've never needed to use. So the crevice tool and then a little combo tool -one side with a brush and one without - both fit on the canister. And the wand part telescopes so you can make it different lengths without having to deal with a separate wand addition. Very cool. We can vacuum our entire (small) house from one plug so the cord is long enough for us.

So there are some cons but not important enough to outweigh the pros and thus the five stars. The plastic tube going into the canister is the part most likely to break or wear out first. It's not flimsy, but just seems like it's in some danger of breaking and wish it felt a little sturdier. I'd have gladly paid the extra $1.57 or whatever it would take to make it thicker. On the combo tool, the presence of the non-brush half gets in the way at times, such as when I'm trying to vacuum windowsills. You have to figure out what's just the right angle to get the brush half in the corner without the other half getting in the way. Storing the vac is a little ungainly, but we slip it into our coat closet and that works. Just don't expect to tuck it in a corner because between the plastic tube and the wand and floor attachment it tends to want to go in various directions.

4.0 out of 5 stars this little things sucks....sorta, January 23, 2009
the girl (kissimmee,fl) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover,3684F (Kitchen)
with 2 new pups in the house our hard wood floors were starting to look like carpets...enter the mighty mite pet lover. works great on hard wood, furniture and on berber carpet. i think its not so great on our area rug but my husband disagrees. its super lightweight and although i bought it to drag aroung i find myself holding the canister cause its so light. make sure you keep the hole in the back of the hose covered for maximum suction and that the attachment is fully on or it'll come off if you're trying to get in under things. would have loved an automatic cord but hey it was less than $100. they just don't make things like they used to. so far so good though its been a couple weeks....we'll see

1.0 out of 5 stars Hepa filters only work if the air actually goes through them (Eureka should recall this item)., April 26, 2011
This review is from: Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover,3684F (Kitchen)
Ordered the "pet lover" mighty mite to replace a mighty mite smart vac that just burned out after 10 years of service.

The unit I received indeed has facilities to attach a hepa filter, but the vacuum exhaust does not all go through the filter. I felt air blowing out near the front of the handle/on-off switch area, so I took the unit apart hoping that a gasket was misaligned or something. Unfortunately, I found that the unit was NOT built in a way so that the exhaust air would be forced through the hepa filter. SOME air goes through the filter, but compared to my old unit, most of it does not.

I then took apart my old unit (with the burned out motor), and confirmed that it indeed WAS designed/built so that the exhaust could only go through the hepa filter. I might have kept the "pet lover" if the shroud used to seal the exhaust of the old unit fit onto the motor of the new unit, but no such luck.

Worse still, is the fact that a lot of people have probably been using the Eureka "pet lover" - falsely thinking they were being protected from spewing micro-particles/allergens/etc... into the air they were breathing.

If you don't care about the hepa filtration, then you might as well save your money and buy one of the non-hepa mighty mites, although I'm not sure how much to trust this company with anything after seeing this.

I'm grateful to Amazon for making this item easy to return, and hope they can pass the shipping/handling charges back to Eureka.
I debated whether to use Amazon's handy links to report unsafe merchandise. I think this product COULD be considered unsafe for someone with asthma or allergies who thinks they're minimizing their exposure to things which could affect their breathing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Vac, but get ready to replace the hose in a few months, October 29, 2009
. "reza5240" (Newton, MA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover,3684F (Kitchen)
I purchased this vac on-line in Jan 2009. It works great! Good suction, and the pet-hair attachment is a wonderful accessory. The hose that attaches to the vacuum, however, is a very cheap all-plastic hose and will break down from being bent while vacuuming. I had to replace the hose six months into the purchase. Eureka replaced it under warranty, but I am sure I will have to do this again in another few months and will have to pay for the hose this time. We own an upright Eureka vac cleaner as well. The hose on that has a steel spiral built into it and will outlast the vac cleaner itself. But this one has a very cheaply made hose and will cost you money in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suck up pet hair, hay, pellets, and more - with ease!, May 2, 2009
cmyk (Cambridge, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover,3684F (Kitchen)
I'd been content using a cheap Shark handheld vac to clean my big area rug and carpeted office, but then we got the house bunnies. And boy, who knew that two 8 lb bunnies could shed so much year round. The handheld just wasn't cutting it anymore, and the hair, hay, and pellet bits were everywhere. My allergies and my OCD boyfriend were going nuts.

I had my heart set on a Miele (very quiet, great HEPA filtration to help with my allergies) but there was no way I could afford it, so I settled on this Pet Lover Mighty Mite. It has a HEPA filter that attaches to the exhaust on the back, and you can use Arm & Hammer vac bags with baking soda to reduce odors (it's a lot less dusty to close & dispose of a bag than to tap clean a little dirt cup that comes with the bagless varieties). It has the same amount of suction as a Miele but it's in my spending range - and it works just fine. It's a huge step up from my handheld Shark, obviously. The powerful suction picks up wafts of bunny hair, hay, pellets, stray poops - it even picks up hair from the previous tenant's cat that my old Shark couldn't get.

I use the rolling non-motorized floor attachment on the hardwood floors, low carpeting, and the area rug in our sub-1000 sq ft apartment with great results - I find that I don't need a motorized or air-driven brush since it picks up everything perfectly fine without it. It used to bother me that there wasn't a button to secure the floor attachment onto the adjustable wand (you just shove it on and it stays ok) but I constantly need to reach in crevices. Instead of changing heads, it's easiest if I just step on the floor attachment, pull out the wand, use it directly to get into corners and under chairs, then shove it back into the floor attachment.

Honestly, I think the Pet Lover name only refers to the little gimmicky pet hair claw brush attachment it comes with, and I don't even use it. The first time I used it on the couch, it jammed on itself and stopped rotating altogether. Eureka sent me a replacement for free, but since it doesn't stow on the machine like the crevice tool and upholstery tool, I left the claw in the closet and forgot about it. I think that the HEPA filter can be bought and attached to the regular Mighty Mite too, so you don't *need* to get this model if you want to save some money and don't want the claw.

It's been 6 months since I bought this vac and I'm very pleased with it. There's no retractable cord, and it's kinda hard to stow in a corner because the big gangly wand and floor attachment don't secure to the canister in any way - but I can live with these issues and have no regrets about my purchase. It's pretty loud, but if my bunnies aren't scared of it when I'm pushing it around (and they're scared of the espresso machine, garbage truck, etc...) then it can't be that bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious Decline, October 19, 2010
Zurg (Tucson, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover,3684F (Kitchen)
I had the prior model of this vacuum. It did great service for years. This version is cheaply made. The hard plastic hose has a permanent bend in it---and it's narrow to begin with. EVERYTHING gets stuck there. The flexible part of the hose is cheap (cheaper, cheapest) flimsy thin rather brittle plastic. NOTHING like the prior hoses.

Bad buy. 0 stars wouid be my choice if it were available.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest, September 12, 2011
Linda (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover,3684F (Kitchen)
My brother is using a Mighty Mite that belonged to our Mom. I think it's at least 15 years old and still works great. Based on that, and the fairly good reviews on Amazon, I purchased this vacuum. I'm a little disappointed. The hose constantly twists while I'm using it and I have to bend all the way down to the cannister and untwist the hose from that level. That gets old after 10 or more times of having to do this, and my home isn't large. My vacuum also makes this high-pitched whistling sound when I use it. I'm not sure what's up with that. I do like the fact that it's very lightweight. It's good for stairs. The suction power seems to be decent. For the price, I should be happy. I actually bought this vacuum to replace my Dyson--now, that's a way over-rated, majorly over-priced piece of equipment! I'm so glad the Eureka has a disposable bag--I don't want to see the gross stuff that has been vacuumed off the floor ever again!
NOTE: I'm revising my review after using the vacuum for several months. I've lowered the star rating from 3 to 1. I have an area rug that never really looks like it has been vacuumed after using this vacuum. My cats' hair gets rolled into a ball stuck to the bottom of the floor attachment and I have to manually pull it off. There is a lot of cat hair left on the area rug as well. Now, the cheaply-made hose has begun to constantly bend right at the point where the hose attaches to the wand. I think I need to look for another vacuum, or convert my carpet to hard wood.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT a pet hair vacuum, July 13, 2010
This review is from: Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover,3684F (Kitchen)
Do not buy this product thinking it is capable of picking up pet hair, like I did. Buy the yellow version online at Walmart for $60 . . . This was a huge disappointment - the pet paw brush jammed in the first five minutes. After 45 mins of fiddling with a knife and screw driver, I got it working again. Another ten minutes of cathair and it was hopelessly jammed again. Customer Service sent out a new one. Same thing. In short, this vacuum is simply not capable of doing what it is marketed for - cleaning up pet hair. Don't expect it to do this -- it won't. It's a poor design. I have seriously considered returning it. As a general small vacuum it is marginally ok. The air hole on the tube where you hold it (designed to lessen suction when moving from bare floor to rugs) will drive you crazy - it opens all the time on its own and you find yourself vacuuming with half suction. This is a poorly designed product and does not do what I bought it for -- cleaning up pet hair from three long hair cats. The Walmart yellow model can be outfitted with the HEPA filter if that is desired. Don't waste the extra money for this "pet owners model" - the pet paw attachment is JUNK.

Eureka Mighty Mite Pet Lover,3684F