Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$9.99

Apparently the little genius town of Eureka hasn't quite run out of disasters yet, even with the destruction of the Artifact.

In fact, Eureka's problems get worse as the show's writing becomes better, starting with the citizens bursting into flame. The second season of "Eureka" is more confident and well-balanced than the previous one, and it takes the characters, quirky humor and tight writing into brand-new territory. Including Carter walking around naked.

The timeline has been restored, and Carter (Colin Ferguson) and Henry (Joe Morton) are trying to adjust to their past lives. Carter also is convinced that the future will unfold just as it did in the other timeline.

But during a solar flare viewing, a guy violently combusts -- and soon other people start combusting. Carter searches for a link between the victims, and finds that someone near him may be next. Meanwhile, the Pentagon decides to remove Nathan Stark (Ed Quinn) from Global Dynamics' big chair, and replace him with his estranged wife Allison (Salli Richardson-Whitfield). My, that's awkward.

Other problems pop up over the season -- shared dreams, personal forcefields, "ice funnels of death," falling debris clouds attracted to the GD headquarters, invisibility projects, Fargo's frozen grandpa, Biblical plagues, Carter becoming unnaturally attractive to all women, and an attempt to recreate the Big Bang that apparently turns everyone (except Carter) into driveling idiots.

But while the Artifact has been effectively destroyed, its presence is still felt -- Allison's autistic son Kevin has formed a strange connection to it. And when a brilliant scientist creates a deadly alchemical bacterium -- which turns all iron into gold, then rust -- it may lead to a showdown over Kevin's future....

There's a darker current running through the second season of "Eureka" -- Henry is more subdued and haunted, and a little boy's life is in danger. But don't worry, because thankfully the writers don't switch too far into the dark zone -- the focus is always first and foremost on our Everyman Sheriff, and how he tries to deal with the Horrific Crisis of the day.

In fact, the second season flows very easily, with a more relaxed pace and a colourful, diverse array of science-based problems -- including robot geese. There's lots of great dialogue ("Jo made it seem like the sky is falling." "That hasn't happened since 2004, and that was more of an igniting of the ionosphere") and hilarious comedic moments, such as Carter's naked public shower and the shared Zorro fantasy. But there are some sweet moments too, such as Fargo's grandfather coming to terms with the life he missed out on.

I wasn't too impressed by Ferguson in "Eureka's" debut season, but he really gets to blossom in this one -- he's quirkier, cuter and has a knack for physical comedy. He fits in better with the Eurekans. And he brings a lot of life to Jack's problems, whether it's the weird stuff, or the more realistic threat of his ex-wife taking his daughter out of Eureka.

Quinn and Richardson Whitfield also do well, as Allison and Nathan try to adjust to their new positions, as well as some renewed sparks. And the other characters get rounding out -- Jo gets in touch with her inner girly-girl, Zoe clashes with some genius "mean girls," Taggart has a maternal experience, and Fargo gets in touch with some family members. Also has to deal with the possibility of dying.

Of particular note: Morton brings a feeling of dark pathos into many of Henry's appearances, reminding us what he's lost and leaving us wondering what he's planning. And it's worth noting that a trio of "Stargate SG-1" actors make some very solid guest appearances -- particularly Michael Shanks as an embittered, myth-obsessed scientist.

The second season of "Eureka" sticks to the humorous sci-fi angle, but expands the characters -- as well as some of the darker subplots. Definitely a great little series, and promises to stay fun and suspenseful.
44 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2008
If you enjoy a good deal of comedy with your SciFi you will probably enjoy Eureka. There certainly are plenty of serious events, but with a regular mix of comedy to keep things from getting to dark. Kind of like the X-Files which had plenty of serious episodes but then were visited by unusual people including "The Lone Gunmen" to keep things in perspective. The second season is a must have for anyone that bought the first. This season continues the investigation of the alien artifact along with the further emersion of Sheriff Jack Carter and Zoe into Eureka's community.

Many of the budding relationships have now fizzled and new ones have began that may seem less odd or more depending on your perspective. This is not high brow SciFi for the most part although some of the ideas are based on conceivable research. Eureka is a town of Mensa types that have their own projects and inventions that they develop. It seems they aren't under the same rules as the rest the country so anything can happen when their experiaments go wrong. Good quality DVDs and excellent replayability, but I'm still not crazy about cardboard fold up cover.
on May 16, 2015
Today is May 16. Up to May 15, Eureka was a prime series. Why change?!!!!!!!!!!!
on September 6, 2008
I've become a big fan of Eureka. It has a great balance of humor and sci-fi drama that I enjoy. It's not overly dark and there's always an opportunity to chuckle. And, with it being set in the current timeline, it makes it easy to relate to. Wouldn't it be great if some of these inventions and creations really did exist? But, they also point out some of the drawbacks. After all, M.A.D (Mutually Assured Destruction), may not really be the way to end the last great war and being able to time travel could have some serious consequences. It's a great show. That's all that really needs to be said.
on May 17, 2015
There were two episodes that should have been cut from the series as they deviated from the light-hearted overall theme. Fortunately the ensuing episodes returned to the humor that made the first season so very enjoyable.

Bummer... Amazon Prime just started to charge for the episodes... not worth $1.99 each or $26 for a season... it is a re-run! How about a more reasonable 50 cents an episode or $10 a season?
on April 3, 2015
While Season One really appealed to my sense of whimsey, Season Two got a wee bit complicated. I liked it enough to access it and watch, but it quickly got more complicated than it needed to be regarding Kevin. Kinda forced. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the story line. But to be truthfull, the interaction between Nathan Stark and Jack Carter was a real PITA. In some ways the arc of the storyline was too remenescent of Moonbase 1999 where the protagonist was always dealt a piss poor hand by the rest of the cast. I started getting tired of Jack Carter beating his head against the wall of Global Dynamics in the form of Nathan Stark and his former paramour Allison Blake. Henry evolved or devolved during the season. Fargo. Jo and other characters evolved somewhat. Max Frewer's character continued ti pique my imagination inspite of being a Max Headroom clone.
on May 18, 2015
Liked the show a lot. 4*s for the show.

Just finished season one, and watched the first episode of season 2, 2-days ago. We went to watch the second episode last night, and BOOM, no longer a free Prime show. Very disappointed!
on August 9, 2014
Can you imagine a community where everyone is a genius? Eureka is a scientific town full of smart people. They don't need a Mensa club in their community because everytime two or more people see each other, the conversation is Mensa quality. Even the sheriff's daughter turns out to be a genius. Only the sheriff, hand-picked to go there, is average. The show is both mysterious and etherial. I'm sure I can come up with a few long words to describe it. Please give this show a chance, after a few episodes, you'll hook yourself.

The second season is just as good as the first, and all the characters have had their chances to grow. The sheriff is constantly trying to solve problems that seem to seek him out every day, while some of the scientists prove how little they sometimes know about interpersonal friendships, but we see them grow.

Time travel was a very interesting way to start Season Two. We jumped from the sheriff's daughter just starting high school in Season One to graduating from high school at the beginning of season two, quite a jump, but then things got out of control, and eventually, we find ourselves truly back where we should have been in time all along.

The directors are doing a wonderful job of letting us feel for the characters. They are fleshed out and are more than just cardboard cutouts.

What else can I say? I love this series, and highly recommend it to you, all five seasons.
on May 16, 2015
I had just started watching this on Amazon Prime yesterday since it was free with my subscription and looked interesting, today when I went to pick up where I left off don't you know Amazon has started to charge for all the episodes. It seemed like a good show, but I guess I wont know since I refuse to pay for something that was free yesterday and being charged for today.
on January 30, 2013
What can I say, I received my dvd in a very short time. Which I loved and have been watching my movie every chance I get. I am a big fan of this show and now it's in my hands and I love it. Thank you for having this move at a good price because with money being tight I am glad you had it at a price that I could afford and the shipping wasn't bad either. Thank you for a great product and great timeing in getting the product to the coustomer. Great Job, Keep up the Good Work!! And yes, I have told other about your site.