5.0 out of 5 stars Great SOLO tent
Published on May 25, 2009 by D. Yordy

3.0 out of 5 stars EXTREME Backpacker's tent
The Solitare is exceptionally light and packs very compactly. It is fairly easy to set up even if it is non self supporting. Unfortunately, being non self supporting means you MUST have sufficient soil to plant the stakes which is difficult in extremely rocky sites.

Published on October 24, 2006 by Bruce Irvine

5.0 out of 5 stars Great SOLO tent, May 25, 2009
This review is from: Eureka! Solitaire - Tent (sleeps 1) (Sports)
I have no idea what the people complaining about long setup time or needing 12 stakes to set it up are talking about. The first time I ever set this tent up was in a snow storm at night by flashlight and it was up and ready in no time. It was much warmer than expected, the night temp got down below 13 degrees but I stayed warm. However I do not recommend this tent for that! I am 5'10" and 220 lbs and I fit in it with my boots and pack inside. It is not a roomy tent, but anyone should be able to see it is NOT a family cabin tent! I have used this tent for backpacking over 150 miles of the AT and dozens of other trips with NO problems. No broken poles nor moisture leaking inside. My only complaint is I wish it was about 4 inches taller at the entrance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lightweight solo starter tent!, May 23, 2012
UPDATED:

I thru-hiked the 2,655 mile Pacific Crest Trail with this tent from Mexico to Canada in 2012 & it lasted the whole trek. I am
still using it right now even after! Along the way I had experienced a lot of different types of weather
scenarios. It made it through the scolding deserts shielding me from the sun, through the Sierras shielding me
very well from the mass hordes of mosquitos & rain, and through the cascades keeping me warmer than I would have been in a tarp
when it was cold. It's a nice beginner lightweight option, though not really ultra-light, but proved to be worth the low price paid.
On my postal scale it weighed in at exactly 3lbs with stakes, & poles in the stuff sack it came with. Pretty good especially if the rest of your
gear is light too.

It's kind of strange, because at first I hated this product. Why? It would become so wet from condensation
each morning, I'd awake to a pool around me...but it began to grow on me after seeing so
many -more severe- problems from other PCT hikers who did not have this tent. The condensation issue
seems to only be a -major- problem when it's sealed up with the rainflap on. Otherwise, only randomly
would it be a problem, mostly in more humid weather.

Depending on how achy/lazy I am feeling, this tent takes me an average of about 2 minutes or less to set
up even in the dark, it's just so easy to do; stake it down, 1st pole in, 2nd pole in, your done.
The poles are pretty strong and there are only 2 of them (see bottom about 1 issue I had though), and I've never once needed
more than 4 stakes to hold everything down even with brutal wind, & pouring rain. I have not had one leak yet, not even
a drop get through this tent....through the worst of STORMS! I was shocked it was so rain protective, and very
thankful about it. One morning I woke up and everyone was soaking wet from a bad T-Storm, another hikers $500 tent collapsed, and everyone
who brought a tarp for weight was regretting it in that moment. My tent was just how it looked the previous night, like
nothing had ever happened. (Again, I only had 4 stakes in too). Raincover stayed put even with insanely crazy wind blowing in all directions.
+ if you don't care about privacy when you sleep and you keep the rainflap unzipped it is as if you are sleeping
under the stars. Bugs never got inside unless I accidently left it unzipped. I had even slept on an anthill once,
and they were not getting in.

So far, other than condensation I have not been able to think of another con, well, except
that you cannot sit up inside this thing easy. It's more like a bivy than a tent. I am a 5'2 female(pretty short),
fit and I am definitely a hunchback inside when I need to change clothes or do anything that involves sitting up.
The only other issue is when you do need to sit up, and if you have messy/thick hair like I do, your hair will most
likely get ripped out from the double zipper above you which can get extremely irritating! This happens to me nearly
every single night in the tent and it's pretty unavoidable. Also, I don't find the colors of yellowish-orange & black
on the tent to be very appealing in the middle of nature, but have not seen this tent made in other colors.
Other than these small issues, so far, it's a great tent.
______________________________________________
UPDATE 2 (1 issue I had) :

One night while resting at Kennedy Meadows the back tent pole snapped while setting up and could not be fixed because my hiking partner messed it all up "trying to fix it", but Eureka replaced it for free over the phone & I never had a repeat issue. They were very nice about it and actually sent me a spare for the front just in case as well, no charge.
I think the woman on the phone said they usually charge a small fee to replace them though.

Also I should add that I was not the one setting up my tent the night the pole snapped! So I learned my lesson about letting others set up my tent!

I think the hiker setting it up for me out of kindness was trying to force it in when I wasn't looking out of laziness, or just didn't know any better since he was a tarp guy and doesn't use tent poles ever, but that's a whole other book chapter....I never had a problem with the tent poles otherwise.

All in all everything worked out great with this tent and I will be using it on future adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good for the Price, January 12, 2009
This review is from: Eureka! Solitaire - Tent (sleeps 1) (Sports)
This tent is extremely good for its designed purpose; a lightweight backpacking tent. It packs extremely small and light. Have used it in all night rain and wind with no leaks (without sealing the seams or additional waterproofing). I am 6'2" and can fit in the tent without touching any sides, but space is very tight and there is no room for gear. Plan for your boots and pack to be outside. I have found a large black trash bag is sufficient to keep everything dry outside of the tent and adds no additional weight to my pack, plus I have something to put wet stuff in the next day. It takes some practice to learn to get into and out of the tent, but it is worth it for the light weight and weather protection this tent provides.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tent, Solution to the "Broken Poles", January 21, 2011
Kevin G. Cudney (Rochester, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eureka! Solitaire - Tent (sleeps 1) (Sports)
So I bought this tent about 2yrs ago and have enjoyed many trips with it. This is a great backpacking tent. I like it better than a bivy (although still be wary if you don't like closed in spaces). I can fit my hiking boots at my head or along my sides without difficulty (being 5'10" and 215lbs). I've slept in hot nights, cold nights, driving rain, heavy winds and all have kept me dry and comfortable without any treatment or seam sealing. Straight out of the box.
Now why did I give this tent 4 stars? Two reasons.

Reason #1- It's true there is no where to store gear in this tent. On a very rainy campout this does bring down the morale level. But a quick solution was to buy a raincover for my pack, which I simply lean against a nearby tree or friends pack and problem solved. I do find that I can change clothes inside my tent with little difficulty.

Reason #2- Yes I too was a victim of a broken pole. After having the tent for two years, I had a pole split during a trip. My solution was to duct tape it and finish the trip; then try to get it replaced when I returned home. I started looking at camping stores and even "googled" Eureka Solitaire replacement poles! only to find blogs about other victims' woes. Finally, I simply took my chances with Johnson Outdoor's customer service. Not only did I get information on purchasing replacement poles (roughly $12 for those interested). They asked me to send my tent in for an inspection. The result?!! free repair on my broken pole and an extension to the ring and pin causing "less stress to the poles during set up". I have not had the chance to take this out to test the repair, but once the snow thaws I will give it a full test run.

Four stars because it would be nice to have a little more vestibule to shelter some wet shoes in a rain storm and I think if the fix for broken poles is so easy, it should be changed in the design.

I still feel that Eureka is the best tent maker out there (I own two other models besides this one) and still feel that this is one of the best backpacking tents on the market today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just about perfect, February 13, 2009
I purchased 2 of these tents about a year ago for my son and myself. I am an assistant Scoutmaster and my son is a boyscout in our troop. The 1st time we used these tents was at a backyard campout in October. The weather was wet (rained for about 3 hours during the night) and chilly (about 45 degrees F) but neither my son or I got wet or cold. The only problem with these tents are the FG poles. The longer pole on my son's tent split while setting it up. We wrapped it with electrical tape and it has worked for the next dozen campouts. I just ordered new Easton aluminum poles from [...] This should turn this great little 3 season tent into a 3.5 or 4 season tent. On many wet campouts neither tent has leaked or condensated. Ventilation is excellent and setup though cumbersome at 1st is very quick and easy with practice. This tent does seem to have a little more room than the old Gossamer tent and has some nice new features to boot. Overall I would recommend this tent to anyone who is less than 6' 2", wants a small, lightweight, well made tent. If you are going to use this tent for extended campouts, I would recommend you get a set of aluminum poles.

3.0 out of 5 stars EXTREME Backpacker's tent, October 24, 2006
This review is from: Eureka! Solitaire - Tent (sleeps 1) (Sports)

Practically, the Solitare is a pain in the [...]. It is actually more of a bivy sack than a tent. Even when it is correctly set up it is so small that you can expect to be touching tent walls on 3 if not 4 (or 5) sides at once. There is no space inside for any gear stowage and the vestibule is so low overhead that storing your boots out of the rain is about all that is possible. It takes great flexibility to get in and out of the Solitare without stretching the fabric unacceptably. Getting in and out of the tent in more than a light drizzle will ensure that you get soaking wet. Getting dressed within the Solitare is impossible.

I would buy this tent again, but only for situations that require extremely light gear and temperatures above 50F with virtually no rain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tent, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Eureka! Solitaire - Tent (sleeps 1) (Sports)
For the money, I love this tent. I used it every night on a 3000 mile motorcycle trip (9 nights), and slept in it in cold weather, pouring rain, and light rain. I stayed dry and warm. Parts of my July trip took place in high elevations in the northern United States, and I stayed warm; other portions of my trip were in the southern United States in July, and I stayed comfortably cool with the roof and door ventilation. I've also used it on other trips since then, and never had any issues with it.

Tent packs up very small. I was able to fit both tent and my sleeping bag into a single Seal Line drybag, along with my camp shoes and camp towel, and the whole bundle was approximately 9" diameter by 20" long. This is a perfect kit for motorcycle solo campers.

Contrary to some reviews, I can fit myself, two motorcycle jackets, and a couple small luggage bags in the tent with me and my sleeping bag. My boots tucked under the vestibule just fine. Moreover, one can change clothes in this tent--although that requires some flexibility. That being said, do NOT expect this tent to be roomy. Yes you can fit yourself and your stuff in here, and you can change in here, but it is very close quarters--I find it comfortably close and cozy rather than obnoxious. (I am 5'8" and about 180 pounds.)

This tent sets up in less than 3 minutes once you're used to it. It is not a self-supporting tent, and it does require staking to function--so you will need some soft ground for your stakes. I used the stakes that came with it with no problems. The tent packs up quickly and easily, and fits right back into the stuff sack with the fiberglass poles and stakes.

No complaints with this tent, and I don't think you will have any either, provided you are not expecting this tent to be something it isn't, which is large and roomy.

5.0 out of 5 stars 8 of 10, May 17, 2007
Peter A. Dolan (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eureka! Solitaire - Tent (sleeps 1) (Sports)
great price. poles need improvement. mesh netting sags by morning and your bag is partly wet. Performed great backpacking in the Sierras last February with me and my 60 lb dog. I think for the price it is the best deal going. Im also pleased with my Eureka Alpinlight winter tent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, affordable solo option, March 3, 2008
This review is from: Eureka! Solitaire - Tent (sleeps 1) (Sports)
The Solitaire is very easy to pack and carry... but it is snug. I'm 29 y.o., 6'2" 180 and fit in there fine, but it is true that I'm about ALL that fits in there. For short trips (couple of days), I just take my 30L pack, and this tent fits in there fine w/ my compressed down sleeping bag, sleeping mat, and other gear.

I have also taken this tent on fairly rugged weeklong backcountry trips on Teton Crest Trail (WY), the Wonderland Trail (Mt. Rainier), and in the Smoky Mtns. This thing has held up like a champ to a VIOLENT summer thunderstorm on the edge of Death Canyon Shelf in the Tetons, multiple inches of snowfall, and even a branch falling on me one night in North GA. Has yet to leak in the heaviest of rains (I also use a tarp as a ground cloth).

The Solitaire doesn't allow much room to toss and turn, and it does take some getting used to. But for the weight, ease, and (so far) reliability, this is a steal for the price-conscious backpacker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Both I and My Gear Fit Inside, December 1, 2009
Sharon Heath (Susanville, CA. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eureka! Solitaire - Tent (sleeps 1) (Sports)
This is Just the right sized tent, I'll bet I could even get my daughter in here too and she is taller than I. Although I read all about how you would have to store your gear outside. Hmmm. Those people must have been Giants, the floor length is 8 feet long and at least 1 and a 1/2 persons wide. I was able to put my pack in the foot end and over to the right, there was plenty of head room up by the door. As I do admit I am pretty small (5 foot tall and 130 pounds) but both myself and my backpack fit nice and snug in this tent, I might even have had enough room for a small Black cat heater, if I remember to turn it off while I slept. Now if I DID add my daughter THEN the Gear Goes Out... I only tested in the back yard. I did like the way it can go from all screen to enclosed. Only 2 things bothered me, One, it isn't free standing (bummer), and the other was how the center of the rain cover couln't be tightened taught to allow rain to shed. I like a tight tent. The poles are thin as mentioned by others, but if you are not a brute and take care they are just fine. I am not too sure about the stepping in part, my legs are pretty short and I don't have any trouble climbing backwards. Just wanted you all to know the size is just what I was looking for and I am a big fan of tub style floors, you can't always trench your tent. I was looking for something that would keep the water (and bugs)out and one review said she had awoke to several inches of snow and was dry and cozy... I believed her and can't wait to find out.
Please don't stop after a few reviews, they all have something to help, both good and negative are very helpful in choosing the right tent. I am looking forward to testing it in the rain and any other weather I can find... I want to thank all those who did leave reviews which made my descision easier. I appologize for not having more to say.

ARRAY(0xa71855f4)

Eureka! Solitaire - Tent (sleeps 1)
$94.90 $68.94