4.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete "set" of Alphabet Letters

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for teaching spelling
Published on June 4, 2012 by Grass_Tiger

4.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete "set" of Alphabet Letters, February 22, 2011
Suzanne Corrin (Westlake Village, CA USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Eureka Tub Of Letter Tiles, 176 Tiles in 3 3/4" x 5 1/2" x 3 3/4" Tub (Toy)
These tiles are advertised as a "set" of: 88 capitals and 88 lower case. I got 3 lower case m's, but no capital M's. I got two capital P's, and Q's, but no lower case p's or q's. There were no capital I's. I called the company and they sent me a replacement. They were very easy to deal with. The one inch by one inch tiles are made of lightweight plastic, not heavy like Scrabble tiles, but sturdy enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars useful and fun, November 11, 2008
My kids and I are enjoying using this as part of spelling and reading in our homeschool. It's very nice to have both upper and lower case letters in order to practice capitalization.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to Literacy Center, December 10, 2007
As an early childhood educator I can tell you that these letter tiles are an awesome addition to your literacy center. When used with the letter tile cards available at [...] children will quickly be spelling number words, color words and story words. The letter tiles make learning fun for children.

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for teaching spelling, June 4, 2012
Update: I wrote the review below a few days ago before I ordered these again. I just got the new box and the ones I received are TERRIBLE! They are thin, low quality, the printing is terrible, off center, some letters are not completely printed, and there is a sharp spot on the side of each where you can see that they were broken off from other plastic letters. I wish I could get another set like the ones I got last time. Amazon says these are the ones I ordered last time, but obviously their quality has gone down seriously in the last two years.

Below is my original review:

I love these tiles. I put some magnetic tape on the back of them, which works perfectly, and we use it on a magnetic white board. I use these for teaching my daughter how to spell using All About Spelling. I bought these in 2010, and we've lost some, so I'm here to buy another set. The vowels are not a different color, which is one of the things I liked so much about this set. I love how these slide right up against each other on the white board. They would work great for on the refrigerator for leaving messages if you put on magnetic tape, but for that you might want to consider a tub of word tiles Eureka Tub Of Word Tiles, 160 Tiles in 3 3/4" x 5 1/2" x 3 3/4" Tub which is made by the same company. I do think these are too small for children under three, especially if you use magnetic tape on the back since it falls off occasionally. There are small ridges around the outer edge of the squares, both in the front and the back. I like this because it is easy for the child to grab and slide one with one finger, and also they don't slide under each other. The only difficulty I've encountered with that is that if you apply magnetic tape to the back, you have to cut it in squares that fit inside this raised boarder. Not too big a problem, though a little annoying to cut to the right size and apply. Overall though, I'd say the benefits of the ridges are greater than the temporary annoyance of applying the magnetic tape. The magnetic tape I applied two years ago is still holding strong on most of the tiles. They don't fall off the white board too easily with the size of the magnetic tape that fits on the back (not included), but if you move the board around some do fall off each time. These one by one inch squares are the perfect size for children. If your child is putting together phrases using the tiles. I recommend a second tub of letter tiles. Also, there is no punctuation marks, though the lower case "i" makes a great exclamation point when turned upside down. Also, the "b" and "p", "p" and "d", "n" and "u" can be turned upside down if you need the another of the other letter. The M and W cannot as they are distinct from the other. The "n" and "u" cannot since the "u" does not have a "foot", but the "n" could be used as a "u" if needed. And if anyone really cares, this set uses a sans serif font. These are good sturdy tiles with smooth edges that can hold up to years of use. The printing on our tiles has not faded at all in two years. I highly recommend this set of letters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly misprinted, June 10, 2012
I bought these letter tiles to use with my son as a part of our homeschooling. I was very disappointed. Sure, there were 176 tiles, but most were printed partially on the side lip. This made many of the letters hard to read. One tile was blank and one had a little line on it that looked to be drawn with permanent ink. There is no difference between the lower case L and upper case I, the lower case b and lower case q, the capital M and capital W, or the lower case d and lower case p. Especially in this particular font, this would be very confusing for a child trying to learn letters. I do appreciate Amazon making returning it very easy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Phonics Tiles Upper and Lower Case letters, November 14, 2007
Alice Bowles (Newport News, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
My kindergarteners love these. They use them in one of our Literacy Work Stations to spell C-V-C words and for putting beginning letters on pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Little Letters., November 17, 2013
I like the letters and the work well for their intended purpose. They are easy for my preschool class to handle. The only thing that slightly bothered me was the uppercase I and the lowercase l are interchange. They do mimic the letters you see on a keyboard, but we you are teaching letter identification and formation, it's not very helpful. However, I just took a sharpie and and added the top and bottom to a couple and made them a proper uppercase I that they would be able to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Magnetic, August 27, 2011
These tiles came up on my amazon search for "magnetic letters" but they are not magnetic. I wish I would have realized that before they came to my house. We really want some letters to use on the fridge. I will save these for when my 2 year-old daughter is a bit older and I'm sure they will be great then, just not what we were looking for and I wish they hadn't come up in the search for magnetic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent learning tool, January 17, 2009
N. Grebe (WA United States) - See all my reviews
I have two toddlers, age 3 and 4. These are awesome. They can play with them for hours, and use them in all sorts of ways...regardless of what they are doing with them, they are looking at and learning about the letters, and they love them. A few ideas we've come up with beyond just finding letters and spelling simple words out... set tiles out all over the table, and get a book your kids love. Have them find letters to spell out words from their favorite book. Also, set up plates, and have them spell out food, putting those letters on the plate. My kids love them, and I'm constantly amazed at how well they entertain them, even when I'm not hovering over them directing their learning/play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but, February 27, 2014
I purchased these to help my 3 and 5 year olds learn their upper and lowercase letters. The tiles are a good alternative to flash cards because it's more hands on for them and you don't have to worry about bending or ripping cards! However I would highly recommend washing the tiles well with hot soapy water before any little hands get ahold of them! The tiles and container had a very strong motor oil smell to them and even made my fingers tingle. Washing them did decrease the odor but I am kind of concerned as to what standards these were manufactured. A good value for the price is the positive I guess.