4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this STEAM MOP ... even WORKS like the INFOMERCIAL!
Published on October 28, 2009 by mom2boyz

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a quality product
Published on January 9, 2011 by Y. K. Bien

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this STEAM MOP ... even WORKS like the INFOMERCIAL!, October 28, 2009
This review is from: Euro-Pro Shark S3501 Steam Pocket Mop with 3 Quick Release Mop Heads and 4 Pads (Kitchen)
A couple of weeks ago, I hesitantly purchased (directly from Amazon) the Euro-Pro Shark Steam Pocket Mop ... but I am SO glad I did. I LOVE this steam mop. I have TILE and WOOD floors throughout my house and they have been nearly impossible to keep clean (as evidenced by my kids' no-so-white sock bottoms). Anyway, I had been researching all of the various steam mops trying to find that "perfect" mop that would work miracles. I thought I had decided on one, but then (while flipping channels) saw the infomercial for this mop. It appeared to be EXACTLY what I was looking for. As with most infomercials, I was VERY skeptical that the product would REALLY do what it claimed to do. Luckily, I took the leap of faith, and purchased one from Amazon.com. I could not be happier with this mop. It REALLY does STEAM (alot) and get all of the gross built up dirt and grime off the floors.

I HATE cleaning floors! I'm more of a carpet person, so for me to say I love this product is absolutely amazing. I had a Hoover FloorMate (which I purchased 7 years ago), but it was ALOT of effort to clean up AFTER ... and it only had the brush scrubbers (so it didn't really WIPE the floors clean) AND it required the special Hoover cleaner (which I ruined mine by using Pine Sol ... which it specifically says not to use). Then I moved to the cheaper (although, not really after you buy all of the disposable pads and cleaner) Swiffer Wet Jet. It was ok for the quick clean-ups, IF my floor was already pretty much clean to begin with. But the Swiffer Wet Jet never CLEANED my floors. It was EXTREMELY frustrating to spend time and money cleaning and then STILL see the dirty sock bottoms (which meant the floors weren't really clean).

PLEASE NOTE: There are TWO (2) versions of the NEWER MODEL steam mop ... the PURPLE version has 2 heads (rectangle and triangle) with 5 PADS (2 rectangle, 2 triangle, 1 purple duster) and the SILVER/metallic version has 3 heads (XL rectangle, rectangle and triange) and 4 PADS (1 XL rectangle, 1 rectangle, 1 triangle, 1 purple duster). Both have the carpet glider. The XL kit, as well as extra PADS can all be purchased separately. I bought mine at Newegg.

The things I like about the Euro Pro Shark Steam Pocket Mop are ...
1. It has a LONG 30ft. cord so you are not constantly plugging and unplugging,
2. It has sturdy/thick microfiber machine washable/reusable TWO-SIDED pads (all of the stains don't come out, but they have held up VERY well to repeated washings),
3. It has a LARGE water tank, so you are not constantly re-filling the tank,
4. It has a SWIVEL head (3 different HEAD sizes/shapes) that FLIPS for two-sided cleaning,
5. It really STEAMS while cleaning and gets off the built on dirt,
6. It cleans WITHOUT any chemicals ... only tap water (I prefer using hot water),
7. It HEATS up quickly (under a minute ... although I usually let it heat for 5 minutes).

Things you should know ...
1. As with mopping, you need to vacuum or sweep BEFORE steam mopping (do this WHILE the mop is heating up).
2. Filling with hot water worked best for me.
3. PUMP/prime the mop about 10 times before you start mopping (this gets the STEAM really going).
4. Make sure you have AT LEAST 2 pads (4-sides of cleaning), especially if your floors are dirty.
5. Do NOT keep using the same pad side once it is dirty (so, check the bottom as you go) or your floors will not be cleaned and look streaky when they dry.
6. I don't *think* this mop actually gets hot enough to really sanitize (I'm not sure if any of them do), but I spray/squirt some vinegar on the floor as I go and mop over that and it seems to work.
7. The steam mop is made of hard plastic, so I'm not sure how well the handle itself is going to last over time with repeated pumpings, etc. I've noticed several reviewers commenting on a broken handle. I would say there is alot of truth in that ... since the manufacturer sells JUST the HANDLE for ~$30 as a "replacement part" on its website ... and I personally think that is an odd "replacement" part (so they must have ALOT of handles breaking). Still, I have not found anything else that does the job like this mop.

Overall, I am VERY HAPPY with this mop! Actually, don't mind (as much) cleaning the floors now ... since they do truly get clean!

UPDATE April 2011: My mop is still working fine with no issues (thank goodness). The pads are heavily stained (even Clorox won't get the stains out) and have started to wear through and need to be replaced. My mom also purchased one a few months after I did and her handle broke within a month of very LIGHT use. The manufacturer was useless in helping her and said that she could buy the replacement handle (no thank you) or PAY to have it shipped back to them to inspect and fix or replace (their option). Anyway, she just returned it where she purchased it and got all of her money back. I would say that this mop does appear to have QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES. If you get a good one, consider yourself LUCKY. If you get a bad one (which the chances are greater than 50/50), then hopefully you purchased from a store with an EXCELLENT and longer-lasting RETURN POLICY as the manufacturer will NOT help you. It also appears that some of these quality control issues could be dangerous (beyond a broken handle). I am still using mine and happy with the results, but am now a little more cautious.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm now addicted to cleaning my floors. Sick!, December 3, 2009
I've seen other reviewers write the same thing -- we all were skeptical because of the infommerical aspect of this product. But desperate times call for desperate measures! A dirty dog running through the house along with humanoids walking through the house means a lot of cleaning.

I am now addicted to cleaning my floors. I am sure this is going to wear off -- but wow -- my floors have never been so clean. Even my hardwood floor in the living room has a shine to it.

The first cleaning took a while and there was a lot of grime lifted from the floors -- you have to go slowly and give the steam a while to work. Don't expect magic -- you do have to go slowly the first time you clean. I think people who said their floors were streaked must have residue from previous products that are on the floor.

But once that's over - you'll find yourself easily cleaning the floors more often because it is really easy and convenient and gee-- in a sick way -- kind of fun. I love to hear the steam sound coming out of the machine.

But yes - I'm happy -- it's fast and it works. It's easy to empty the tank and hang on a hook in the laundry room. The pads clean easily -- I soak them in the utility tub with some detergent or throw them into the laundry.

One tank of water is enough for my entire downstairs plus there is a very long cord.

It's plastic -- that's the drawback -- but if I get a year out of this product - I'll be happy cause this sure beats using a mop and bucket! I hate that I'm the one who gets stuck cleaning my house -- but now -- this makes the chore so much easier.

Is it "wrong" to be so happy over a cleaning product?

5.0 out of 5 stars What did I ever do before using this mop?, March 5, 2010
Um, this mop rocks.
It requires only one hand to use and would be great for the elderly, amputees, moms on the go, lazy housewives, and anyone who has better things to do than mop their floors.

It uses only water to clean and heat to disinfect, so it is totally green in its environmental impact except for the tiny bit of electricity it uses. No chemicals or special solutions need to be purchased or used. Having no chemicals on the floors would make it safer for pets and crawling children. And the power of the heating element puts a Swiffer to shame. To SHAME!

The pads are washable and reusable, and the mop flips so you can use both sides during one cleaning.
The cord is very long and reaches everywhere.

Only con: when my floors are especially grimy, the steam loosens all the dirt and grossness off the floor, but I have to go back over the "piles" with a paper towel to get up all the little bits. Yes, I actually have to bend over to wipe the floor. I probably should sweep thoroughly first, but I have a life, and just mopping for 10 minutes a week is really all I can commit to right now.

Because the pads get dirty quickly, I try to use one pad per large room and switch them out. I can do 2-3 rooms one day and then a few days later, after I've gotten to the laundry and washed/dried the pads, I'll do the alternate rooms.

The floors do not stay wet for long, and by the time I finish the second room, the first is dry, which is great if you mop only 30 minutes before company is coming. There is no chemical smell, and the floors are clean and shiny, but dry, and company thinks your house is that way all the time!

I'll never not have one of these mops again.

5.0 out of 5 stars After Trying 3 Different Kinds of Steam Mops - The Pros and Cons, February 24, 2010
Over time I've tried several different steam mops.

I started with the Shark hand steamer, which worked well, but took more time and effort than I wanted.

Then I got the original Sharp steam mop, which I loved! It heated up fast, worked well, and you just throw those dirty (VERY dirty even though you thought your floor was clean) cloths in the washing machine. I couldn't have been happier with that machine

but...

This model came out and I had to try it. In the meantime I had tried 2 expensive brands, which weren't as simple, fast, and effortless as this one. So back to the Shark.

The new one cleans a larger area, which is good. It heats up fast. The cloths get dirty and are easy to toss into the washing machine.

I think I just liked the older, smaller one because it was so easy to push around. However, time moves on and if I were buying again, I would buy the newest model, because the product is constantly being improved: longer cord, larger water capacity, greater cleaning area, etc.

If you haven't used a steam mop in the past, you will be shocked to see how much dirt is still on your floor after other methods of cleaning. It's fun, actually, to think of getting all that dirt out of your home.

I recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing mop!!, January 8, 2010
Julia Turner "JaysWife" (Spokane Valley, WA, US) - See all my reviews
I have never been a fan of mopping floors. I have previously done the hands and knees method, which kills my knees even after doing just a small area! Needless to say, the floors got mopped only when they HAD to be!! I got this steam mop as a gift for Christmas and after using it for a few weeks, have to say that I LOVE IT!!! I have mopped my floors several times, about once a week now. It works amazing and is so quick and easy to use! I especially love the extra tray that allows the mop to steam the carpets. Although it isn't for cleaning, it is great to remove odors. I have a small puppy who is still potty training and I hate the smell of the cleaners in the carpet after he has had an accidents. I go over the area very thoroughly with the steam mop and I can no longer smell the cleaner, and it seems like the puppy can no longer smell where he has gone either!

The only thing that I wish was that there were two of the regular rectangular sized pads in the set. I have taken to using the triangular one to mop my kitchen and the rectangle for doing the carpets if I want to do them at the same time because I don't like the idea of a dirty mop going around on my carpets, even if there is a lot of steam coming out and cleaning at the same time! I would highly recommend this product to anyone, it is amazing and makes mopping so much nicer!!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Grandma, you can eat off *MY* floors, July 25, 2010
If you had a grandmother like mine, chances are you heard her say (time and time again) that you could eat off her floors. Well I am here to tell you (and my grandma) NO, you can eat off my floors.

I always knew that mopping or swifting never cleaned floors as well as we all "thought" they did and so I always wanted a steam mop. My steam-mop-opportunity came a'knockin not long ago and I had to answer. I actually bought this from QVC because it came with the steam mop, 2 additional heads and 7 extra mop pads all for the low, low price of $100.00 (sorry Amazon but that was a deal I couldn't pass up).

The steam mop was delivered on Friday and I couldn't wait to get started. I geeked out a little and decided to do a little experiment. I swifted my kitchen floor first but ended up doing it twice because the first cleaning disposable refill pad was a little on the dry side (the first one usually is). This is my very first review on Amazon so I havent figured out how to post pics to my review yet. Once I do, I will post all the pics I took.

Then I got out my trusty steam mop and 'steamed' the kitchen floors. The amount of dirt that showed up was not surprisingly disgusting. Even my husband was impressed with the amount of left over dirt the steam mop picked up. The beauty of this steam mop is that you can flip it over and continue mopping, so thats exactly what I did. After seeing the amount of yuck that came up on the steam mop, I flipped it over and mopped the kitchen again. I just wanted to see if any more dirt was picked up. There was a tad more picked up on the 'clean' side of the mop but it was more like a slight stain. The real test was when I wet a napkin and wiped the floor and low and behold, no dirt at all. I mean, the napkin was white - no dirt was to be seen! WuHoo!!

To address the complaints that the steam mop makes floors look 'dull'. I have hardwood floors on the first floor of my house and yes, after mopping the floors with the steam mop, it does look 'dull' but I always polish my floors afterwards.

People, honestly, this thing is NOT a polisher. Nowhere does it say it is. I have been cleaning/dusting for a long time (my mother owned her own house cleaning business when I was younger and she cleaned all the million dollar mansions in Marin County, and yes I was always dragged along. sigh.). Speaking from experience, you *have* to polish after you clean wood. Any kind of wood, even when you dust your coffee tables, you dust THEN you polish. Polishing does many helpful things for your wooden furniture/floors. Not only does it make the wood shiny but it also helps to diminish the current scratches and protects the wood from future scratches. If you're not polishing your hardwood floors afterwards, you are doing a half-a$$ job of cleaning. Just sayin'

It's now a week after I steam cleaned the floors and I need to share with you a wonderful compliment from my DH. I was cleaning the kitchen again (I clean it every Saturday) and was just about to mop when my DH came in the kitchen and asked "Is it okay if I walk on the floors yet?" to which I said "Sure honey, I haven't mopped yet". He looked at the floors, looked at me and disbelievingly said "REALLY? NO? Really? The floors look Great!!" That didn't stop me from mopping again but it was such a nice compliment, I am pretty sure I blushed.

Now for the AWESOME part! You thought I was excited about the hardwood floors? Pfft! You haven't seen nothin' yet. I decided to put the steam cleaner on some stains in my daughters upstairs bedroom. We have cream Berber carpeting on the 2nd floor of my house and she got something on the carpet. Now to her credit, she tried to clean it so I wouldn't find out but when she cleaned the spot, she accidentally bleached it. Doh! So now there is a small circle that is bleached but a ring of something dark around it. To be fair, the manual says that the shark mop is not intended to replace a steam cleaner company but I figured using the steam mop is no different than the age old 'hot-washcloth-and-Iron' trick and I was right, I put the shark mop on that stain for about 5 minutes and voila! the dark ring is gone.

Bottom Line: I freaking love this mop. I was so excited that I told a bunch of co-workers and 2 of my co-workers have purchased one as well. Yes, I do use distilled water. I have no idea if I have hard water or not, but I figure it can't hurt.

Buy this steam mop, you won't regret it! Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine, March 1, 2010
I bought the pro steam cleaner to clean my floors a few weeks ago. I want to tell you it is the best cleaning tool I have ever had. It cleans quickly with no chemical odors. It is easy to use, lightweight and with all the extra attachements you can clean all most anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleaning lady had the day off, so I used this for the first time, February 21, 2010
I ordered this item months ago, after a friend of mine raved about his Euro-Pro Steam Mop - so of course I had to buy the deluxe Pocket Mop with all 17 mop heads and pads. I have never used it until today. My cleaning lady has the week off so I had to clean my own floors - but this was almost effortless. The unit has a very long cord, heats up quickly and the floor dries almost immediately. The heads are easy to change out, I did not burn myself trying to switch to the other mop heads and the pads come on and off easily. I had completed my entire house in minutes and it even removed the boot scuff marks off the front foyer!

5.0 out of 5 stars I plan to buy it ... somewhere else, January 10, 2010
Haven't purchased it yet so I can't honestly rate it. Seems like this mop is a good deal so I plan to buy it but not from Amazon. Sorry, Amazon has its deals sometimes but I plan to get it at a certain warehouse store, (starting with "Cost" ...) for $80 with a $15 off coupon (valid until the Jan 24th).

Update: Jan 17, 2010

Why I bought it: Needed an upgrade from the Swifter or something to use in conjunction with it.

Bought it for $79.99. Works just fine. My floors weren't dirty, to the naked eye, but it picked up a lot of dirt and sand. This is important since it's the winter time and my boots carry a lot of dirt and sand into the house. I like how it steams for a long time. I was able to clean the kitchen and bathrooms with a lot of water left to spare, so I had to pour it out before I stored it. Doesn't leave a nice fragrance like the Swifter. Well, it just uses water (I use filtered water), so in a way, it's a plus that you don't have to use chemicals/buy any formula. Light weight, a plus if you have stairs, and easy to store.

How I used it: I used the XL rectangular head, which helped clean the room faster, but than again, it distributes the steam a little more, so the choice is up to you: Use the XL for more surface area; or use the smaller rectangle head to get more steam/more cleaning power. When you push the mop forward, you're manually pumping water into the heater thereby getting steam. Because of this, you can't just push the mop forward across the whole room and expect it to be clean. You have to work small sections at a time, pushing forward and backward in like 2-3 square feet sections. Sometimes the steam would run out/or an insufficient amount in my mind, and so, I'd have to stop and give it a few pumps to get the steam going again.

Useful additions: I would recommend buying one of those big hooks for the wall so that you could hang the mop by its handle.

Overall,$80 bucks is a cheap investment, and when you think about it: you're saving time; the mop is light and easy to use; the floor gets clean; and I'm more willing to actually clean the floors.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a quality product, January 9, 2011
Y. K. Bien (Rockville, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I had the mop for just over a year. Used to clean the kitchen tiles about twice a month. The functionality and the result of the mop was good, but in the period of one year I went through two XL regtangle heads due to clogging. When the second time the head got clogged, the pressure built-up inside the main reservoir actually "pop" something and the mop started to leak and that was the end of it.

Again, I think the Shark steam mop is good as far as the cleanning result, but the quality just isn't there.