4.0 out of 5 stars Solid trucking sim with a lot of little improvements
I've been a sucker for the 18 Wheels series (SCS Software developed those games as well) and I'd been hearing/reading about how great ETS 2 was so I had to try it. I didn't even know about it (never played the first ETS). This review's gonna get a bit long. Feel free to skip to the bottom if you're not interested in the details.

LONG VERSION:

This...
Published 22 months ago by Grieger

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun
An okay game all around. The graphics are alright but it makes up for that by it's huge world. A fun game for people who like to drive.
Published 17 months ago by Jason Hopkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid trucking sim with a lot of little improvements, January 14, 2013
Grieger (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

LONG VERSION:

This time through, you can see the "maturity" of the game's design. SCS has added and removed features over the years in the various incarnations of the 18 Wheels games. They add a feature, then remove it then add it and do something else. In a way, I wish they'd just throw all the better features in the game and let the player decide what to turn on or off.

Gripes aside, the game looks great, hasn't been buggy or crashed, and gives you (almost) everything you'd want in a trucking sim. Keep in mind, I've only played about 4.5 hours playing so far. I'll try to circle back and update this review if anything serious changes later in the game.

You start off with nothing really except a garage to call home. Your job is simple. Be the hands that drive a rig with cargo from one city to another. The "Euro" part means you're smack in the middle of Europe. The map covers mid-France (Paris is as far West as you go) up through England and Scotland, east through as far as Western Poland and south as far as Milan and Torino in northern Italy.

It seems like a small chunk but there are plenty of cities, large and small, and it takes time to get there. The in-game clock runs about 1 minute for every 5 seconds in real life so an hour in game is about 5 minutes. Typical runs at my current stage of the game take about 2-3.5 hours in-game (so about 10-17 minutes in real life). And, fortunately for me, Europeans like to drive on the right!

The game gives you a great deal of flexibility and lets you, if you're inclined like I am, build your company up by adding rigs, drivers and garages to expand your empire. At the same time, nothing stops you from just taking "quick jobs" on the job market. These are no different from other cargo hauls except that you're provided a rig, all expenses like fuel are paid for and you don't really have to worry about maintaining your own rig...you know, repairing damage because you took a turn too wide.

An RPG element is also included where you "level up" as you drive (each delivery nets you funds AND experience points (XP). There are a set of different skills that, as you spend points you receive with each level increase, increase payouts on jobs and unlock cargo types. For example, ADR represents "special" types of cargo like flammable, explosive, gas, etc. Those pay more than regular hauls for obvious reasons. But, then there's High Value, Fragile, and Just-In-Time deliveries which unlock high value, fragile, and important (priority) cargo hauls. Each level within those also adds a bonus (10, 15, 20%, etc.) to the reward for delivering that type of cargo. The last two skills are Long Distance and Ecodriving. The former gives you increasing bonuses for cargo delivered over longer distances while the latter improves your fuel usage with each level (i.e. you conserve more fuel without doing anything special).

They did something related to XP I really love in that you can choose to "auto park" your rig at the destination to complete a haul without a penalty to your pay. If you're game, you can try to line up the trailer with the guide marks on the ground and unhitch it yourself which gives you a bonus in the form of additional XP. I personally like trying to line it up right myself...it is a truck sim after all!

That said, adding drivers means added income. And the way they handle other drivers is one small problem for me at least. The way drivers work is they're effectively NPCs that drive for you, expect a wage, and generate income for you. For those of you who are happy to let them do whatever and just generate money for your bottom line, you're going to be happy as clams. But, if you wanted to have your one driver pick up that lucrative job out of Paris while you're hauling something to Hamburg, you're out of luck. I really wish they'd just make it an option so we micromanagers could maybe eek out a bit more profit out of our drivers.

The rigs themselves are all Euro brands and are fittingly modeled as such. Scania, Valiant, Ivedo, and a couple of other smaller dealers are scattered across the map. Rigs start at about 100k euro (some are a tad cheaper but within that ballpark) and you have to level up to unlock higher priced ones. You can accessorize as well (accessories also unlock as you level up). I was a bit disappointed in this area too only because the selection is limited. The Valiant line seems to have the stronger engines from the get-go whereas Scania has them at higher levels. Ivedo's rigs never quite reach the peaks (and start low to begin with) the other two do so I personally just stuck with Valiants.

Finally, actually driving the rigs is of course great. Compared to my experience with previous SCS truck sims, the graphics in this one seem way better. They aren't necessarily on par with AAA games out there but that's not really a concern either. The landscape is nicely broken up with forests, fields, houses, etc. Weather effects like rain and fog feel realistic. There is an annoying tendency to have scenery behind you pop out (you see it in the mirrors) but it's minor and rarely a problem looking forward. The open road is varied depending on your route. You can even choose, as you get more familiar with the highways and roads as well as distances and times required, to stick to larger highways (easier to get around traffic) or smaller roads (faster because they cut directly across terrain).

Cities are spare but have distinctive features. One thing that does make a return are the limits in cities. While out on the open road, you rarely run into a barrier blocking your way. Roads, in general, lead to more roads. But in cities, you're usually given about two to three square blocks and outside of one or two roads leading out of the city from different directions, most other roads lead to these barriers where the AI traffic can still travel but you can't. I'd rather they'd just designed it so there were buildings there or something so you never noticed it.

And, let's talk traffic. The old bug where cars would cut in front of you and break (everyone's looking to get insurance payouts I guess) from the 18 Wheels games is largely absent. You'll run into odd behavior (like a car sitting and waiting to merge on a highway with no traffic) but nothing that makes it look like the game is out to get you. In cities, traffic can be annoying. Lights are relatively quick on smaller streets and sometimes left turning traffic will just wait forever to attempt to go. You can of course...choose to work around that. It's up to you (hint: for whatever reason sidewalks don't generate traffic tickets). The game will tag you with driving offenses (running reds, exceeding speed limits, colliding with traffic, etc.) automatically. Sometimes it's forgiving, and at other times it'll be faster than you'd expect it to be (I've gotten a couple of red light tickets even though the light was yellow last I saw it...I swear!). Speeding tickets seem random (none of those police cars sitting on the side of the road here...those Euro cops must track you by satellite). That all said, traffic works a lot better than it used to in previous games so I'm more than happy to take what I'm getting here.

And, yes, the sleep system is back. After a time, you'll get reminders you need to rest and every city and most gas stations on the road have an area where you can stop. The plus side is that so far (I haven't pushed myself to the brink yet) instead of the old system where the entire screen just blanks out for seconds at a time, the edges of the screen darken so you can still see the road, just not all of it. Thankfully, though, you can turn it off (options > gameplay > fatigue simulation). This is one of the reasons I love this version of the game. Let me tell you how I want to play the game. Thank you SCS!

Other features include a bank that you can get loans from early on (I've already got two other drivers with their own rigs and I can cover the daily loan payment with a single 3.5 hour haul), short cuts to recruitment agencies (for drivers) and dealerships (for rigs), and my new favorite (though I may have missed this in a previous game): the ability to stream in internet radio stations. You can still throw some MP3s in a folder to hear your own music but you can actually pick in-game any of an assortment of European internet radio stations. Really cool. The music is varied and not under the control of the devs but I can't tell you how cool it is to be driving through Germany while listening to French morning news or pulling into Paris while listening to some Euro electronica. I have to actually remind myself that I'm playing a game here.

SHORT VERSION:

All in all, the game is really solid. The interface is slick, the options are all there, and there are some nice features that really just let you do what you want to do. You aren't limited to just driving missions and you don't necessarily need to build out your company if you just want to drive rigs hauling cargo across Europe. They did a great job in offering you multiple ways to drive. Keyboard isn't ideal but if you have to, it's there. Game controller and even support for pedals are supposed to be there (I don't have any so I couldn't test that). My favorite is the new mode (new to me at least) where you can use your mouse for steering while still using the keyboard for forward/reverse and gear shifting (or just run auto if you want). The mouse is so much better than the keyboard I usually use. I'm sure a gamepad would be even better but since I don't have one, the mouse will do. You get a lot more precision out of it so turns aren't these weird jagged affairs (turn, turn, turn, turn).

If you're a fan of the 18 Wheels series or if you're just looking for a truck sim that'll put you behind the wheel of a rig hauling cargo around, this game is definitely worth the pick-up, even if you really don't care for the RPG (leveling up) or strategy (building your company) aspects. You can just drive rigs and that's it. But, I suspect you'll find the RPG element interesting and might be game for building up your company if only to make more money for better rigs later.

If you're someone who's never run a truck sim before and are curious, just bear in mind, much like piloting aircraft hauling passengers or cargo between cities, this isn't a glamorous life. You're the hands that operate the vehicle. The fun and enjoyment in this game derives from actually liking that. If you like managing a business but get bored easily, this game isn't for you. Hauls can be long and don't offer much beyond you interacting with the road and traffic and listening to some music. But, exploring the highways of Europe, enjoying music along the way and that first time the rain comes down and you hit the wiper blades? There's something great about it. Sometimes, I'll just boot the game up to do a single run just to get away from everything for a few minutes. If that appeals to you, buy this game now!

NOTE: I bought the Amazon download version of the game. The install was real easy and according to the download page, you get unlimited installs. Even so, the installer EXE's name ended with "DRM". I don't know if there really is a DRM or not. I didn't experience anything unusual during or since installing the game. If you're a stickler for DRM, I'd do some research but otherwise, the install on my Windows 7 machine was smooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Suprise!, March 4, 2013
This review is from: Euro Truck Simulator 2 [Download] (Software Download)
I recently installed Windows on my Mac so that I could play the new SimCity game. After installing, I wanted to test it out so I downloaded some demos on Steam, this being one. I fell in love right away. I couldn't figure out how to move the truck forward right away (I calibrated the joystick wrong). But just seeing the truck try to move forward and then slam to a stop was fun, seeing all the physics in action. I eventually bought it on Amazon and set it up to use my PS3 controller, and I am having a great time.
The game is actually very relaxing. You can put music files in the game's music folder and listen to them on your truck's radio. I like to just put on some music, then enjoy the drive across Europe. The other cars are passing you, the fields roll by, you see wind turbines in the background, you cross a beautiful bridge. You stop for gas and fill up your rig. The sky begins to get dark and the rain starts coming down. You turn on your headlights and your wipers and keep on moving. You start to get sleepy, so you pull off at a rest stop and rest. You wake up in the morning and you need to cross the Channel, so you pull into the port and drive your rig onto the train which brings you across.
Now in a new country, you notice everyone is driving on the left side of the road, so you do as well. You get on the highway and stop at a toll way and pay the toll. You finally get to London and see the big buildings for the 1st time. You make your way to the dock, where you can just hit enter and be done. But you could spend the next 20 minutes figuring out how to back your trailer right up to the dock and get a little bonus. If all the previous things I mentioned sound fun, this probably does too.

I have a medium spec computer without a very good graphics card, and even with some graphic elements turned down, the scenery is still great and fun to watch pass by the window of your big rig.

I haven't even gotten far enough to buy my own truck and customize it and hire other drivers to make money for me.

I might not get around to SimCity for a bit...

5.0 out of 5 stars Euro Truck Sim 2 beats the heck of solitaire!, March 17, 2013
Don (Clarkesville, GA USA) - See all my reviews
EURO TRUCK SIMULATOR 2

Pros: Fun, Challenging at first, Dozens upon dozens of combinations of truck manufactures/configurations/optional equipment/paint jobs/and BLING, pretty good physics, entertaining for hours at a time if you wish. A very good SIM with game properties to keep it interesting.

Cons: Steering wheel lag almost 1/2 second (annoying but can be anticipated), AI could use some tweaking.

First off, this is a Long Haul Truck Driving SIMULATOR and not Truck Crashing and Mayhem Causing Simulator. Although your truck will receive various types and degrees of damage which is extremely costly to repair and will effect driving performance and efficiency, the damage does not show up graphically. Body parts don't crush, wheels don't fly off, your chrome stays shiny. But again, it's a driving SIMULATOR, not a Mayhem Simulator.

That said, the operational physics feels as real as you could want in a computer game. Yes, you can crash the truck and you can flip the truck, you can knock other vehicles into a wall by choice or accident, but you really get a feel for what it might be like to be in a spacious comfortable Big Rig cruising down the highways and byways of Europe. And don't let the fact that it is Europe dissuade you from getting this SIM. You could just as well be driving anywhere in the world. It's just a bunch of cities spread out over a vast amount of land with different names than you are used to.

The hardest part is automatically remembering which side of the road to drive on when going from the UK to Europe or visa versa.

The trucks are tricky to drive at first, but soon you will be negotiating turns with trailers like a boss. You can opt out of backing the trailers into their parking spots, but again with perseverance you will feel it is second nature and quite rewarding.

The GAME part of the program has been covered by several reviewers so I won't go so much into that other than to say it adds another dimension to the SIM. You can buy garages which are for sale in just about every city. You can improve and expand the garages (They ain't cheap, neither are the trucks for that matter, or fuel, or tires, or repairs) widening your shipping grip across the UK and Europe. Hire and fire drivers, watch the books, shuffle personnel and more.

Personally, although I don't give my drivers junk to drive, I save the biggest and bestest truck for me. Hey, I'm the owner and I'm the one taking all the risks. I'm providing you a job with which you support your family, buy your houses, marry off your daughters, buy you cars, boats, and jewels. Heck yes I am going to buy whatever I darn well please! And if you don't like it, go work for someone else or you take the risks and start you own company! (Ahem, sorry, I'm back now)

I worked hard for the man at first, but when I could I got my own truck and built my own company and now, and I intend to grow a lot more, but now I am tooling around in a 750HP Volvo FH16 Globe trotter, and believe me, that 750 HP engine will put you ahead and keep you ahead even on the steepest mountain inclines.

I now have 9 trucks in my fleet with 8 other drivers and myself spread out across 3 garages. 2 in western Europe, and one in London. My company is profiting on average 76,000 Euros per month. I am at level 31 and have driven 71,602 km. I have explored 64.91 percent of the map.

It could just be me, but I have driven my truck so much and the feel is so real that now when I get into my real world car, I find myself taking the turns a little wide and I want to shift gears, but I drive an automatic and have actually bumped the stick into neutral trying to shift. Not often, but often enough.

The graphics are highly configurable and you will be able to adjust for the best performance vs detail for your setup. All aspects of the Steering Wheel setup are absolutely necessary to adjust to get the best and safest driving experience. The forced feedback features definitely help to immerse you into the experience. That said, there is about a 1/2 second delay between steering and shifting input and response. That's ok as you can adjust your actions accordingly, but in a crisis, you will overreact and crash. It could be my setup, but I don't notice any delay anywhere close to this on other games.

The company seems to be on top of patches, improvements and updates to the program with 3 since October of 2012. More improvements and expansions are planned, so it's only going to get better.

Well, I'm off. I have a load of fireworks to deliver from Zürich to London and I have a little less than 36 hours to get it done. It's a high value rush order which means big money for me and more bling for my truck.

Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, Great Game, January 3, 2013
T (West Coast, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Euro Truck Simulator 2 [Download] (Software Download)
Who woulda thunk that a truck driving simulator would be engaging, but I found myself surprised. If you're still not convinced, go watch some gameplay on youtube. This game is not enjoyable using a keyboard/mouse. At the very least, use a gamepad (xbox 360 or ps3 game pads work on PC) or a decent wheel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent simulator, February 19, 2013
This review is from: Euro Truck Simulator 2 [Download] (Software Download)
This is probably the highest quality simulator aside from flying sims that is well worth the money. It's graphically immersive, lots of small details and it's all optomized for low end pc builds. Some simulators I've played in the past made me hate the very thing they were trying to simulate. This game has made me appreciate trucking a lot more, yes its a job but it's also addicting in the game. It's relaxing to me to head out on a trip, crank the radio up and enjoy the scenery. Same thing as if I was driving my own vehicle. It gives yea purpose of building a company and practicing good driving habits. Theirs planned dlc for the game in the works and the developer is doing a good job patching the game. Their are numerous mods, personally I like the realistic rain sounds and speed limiter removal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why is this so much fun?!!!!!!, April 23, 2013
This review is from: Euro Truck Simulator 2 [Download] (Software Download)
Before i get going with the review. Buy yourself an Xbox360 controller which if you are a PC gamer you prob already have. It will make the game experience much better!!!!

So ill start off by saying yes you drive trucks around Europe most of the time while listening to some great international radio stations. I have actually timed my playing time around a certain station in England that i like the morning show. Great touch by the devs to incorporate actual radio stations.

So who would of thought driving around was so much fun not me thats for sure... but then you actually get into the game and you realize there is so much more to it than that. You start getting addicted to improving your truck and expanding your trucking empire. I just hired my first driver who is actually losing me money.. grrr but she is new lol. And you start buying more trucks and more garages and before you know it hours and hours have gone by.

I have other games like Assasins Creed, the Witcher, Civ 5, and age of empires HD sitting around to be played and i keep coming back to this game. The devs really hit gold here. I would love for them to add more destinations and even the US.

Are there flaws. Of course a few things here and there could be improved upon but overall they are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I would like a little more in terms of city development but i guess when you incorporate almost every major city in Europe that could be pretty expansive undertaking.

Overall great game and if you are a simulation fan buy it for sure if not buy it anyways cause i promise you will enjoy it!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Trucking Your Way Across Europe Is Strangely Fun, January 8, 2014
This review is from: Euro Truck Simulator 2 [Download] (Software Download)
If you are like me you’re probably approaching Euro Truck Simulator 2 (ETS 2) wondering why you have a strange fascination with a game that simulates a job. And not a particularly grandiose job either. Sure you have your surgeon simulator, even your farm simulators, and the perennial god-like mayoral simulators in games like SimCity and Cities XL. But a game about driving a truck across vast expanses? That’s just silly… or is it? I purchased this game during the Steam Winter Sale ’13 and I’m completely hooked. If you’re a simulator junkie, enjoy building up your little empire from meager beginnings, and the thought of the open road in massive, lumbering multi-axel vehicles is appealing then this is your game!

GAMEPLAY:

You’ll start by creating a user profile (registration with the developer is optional), picking a name for in-game persona, selecting an avatar, choosing a title for your company, and selecting a starting point from slew of cities in Western Europe. Your garage is a small sort of dumpy one-stall that will serve as the base for your trucking empire. At the onset you have no choice but to take contract jobs from other established trucking companies hauling freight on a one-off basis for cash.

Eventually you can either save enough cash or borrow from the bank and purchase your own truck. Owning your own rig is really the meat of ETS 2. Once you own your own truck you can take better jobs for better pay.

The games interface is a clean and easy to navigate menu of icons. You’ll select your next job from a menu that features the trailer you’re hauling, the cargo contents, distance, recommended GPS route and most importantly the pay. You can filter each job by various criteria including, total pay, pay per kilometer, origin, destination.

Eventually you’ll be able to buy more trucks and hire more drivers and build your company into a real freight-hauling powerhouse. Truck manufacturers, recruitment centers all have to be discovered in each city. So the game encourages you to explore a bit. The in-game map is very extensive and covers the location of each area in fantastic detail. My understanding of the game is that the routes mirror their real-world counterparts quite well.

Your drivers also feature a leveling system. Each driver can invest skill points into a number of areas from being able to haul longer distances, to ADR certifications for hauling dangerous cargos, fragile or time sensitive freight and more. As you level better paying jobs will open up. Your hired drivers will also level and you can set their training priorities.

Trucks feature customizable parts from engines and transmissions to aesthetic components like side-skirts, wheels, lights and much more.

The game does support keyboard + mouse configurations, controllers and best of all wheels. I’m using a Logitech Driving Force GT and the experience is fantastic. Lots of options to customize controls and tweak the feel of the trucks are present in the menu.

GRAPHICS:

In short the graphics are pretty great. This game doesn’t feature any type of crazy effects but the environments are rendered very nicely. Weather effects like rain and fog are perhaps the most impressive aspect to the engine. The draw of the open road and the occasional vista be it seeing the ocean in Calais or the forested expanse of Germany is very nice.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT ETS 2:

• The game doesn’t really have an objective other than growing your business and acquiring more trucks and drivers but it is strangely addictive and relaxing. Driving a haul from point to point and seeing more of Europe is really just a cool experience.

• Lots of trucks from a lot of vendors including: Scania, Volvo, Iveco, Majestic (Mercedes), MAN, Renault, and DAF. All feature fully rendered interiors with working gauges.

• The map is absolutely huge and features large chunks from major Euro nations including Germany, Northern Italy, Eastern France, Netherlands, Great Britain, Belgium, Luxembourg, Poland, and more.

• The menus and in-game aids like GPS routing are intuitive and easy to use. Mapping controls to my wheel is also very easy.

• Fantastic user community with a lot of folks making some excellent mods. Mods do everything from changing paint schemes to interior truck makeovers. Larger mods change the made-up in-game companies to real-world companies. Other mods add to the map such as adding all of Hungary or more cities to Italy. The developer has really made their game accessible to modders and the game features a menu to manage mods.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE ABOUT ETS 2:

• The in-game truck customization from the developer are a bit limited. The modding community has done admirably to pick up the slack.

OTHER NOTES
One of my biggest questions was about how long a typical haul between cities takes. The answer is that no, the game doesn’t simulate the actual time to drive between cities, that would be insane, however expect hauls to take a chunk of time. For instance and in-game haul of approximately 3hrs might take 20 minutes of real world time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this sim!!, August 9, 2014
This review is from: Euro Truck Simulator 2 [Download] (Software Download)
If you like trucking sims, buy it!! It'll be years before your bored with this sim. Your key code can also be used on Steam for free and there are a few more perks that can't be used with the boxed or download versions .
I hate waiting for something so purchased the download version even though it's a bit more expensive. At the time of my purchase, this wasn't the latest version so I had to also download the patch update from ets2.
You'll need the 1.10.1 patch and then the just released 1.11.1 patch. If you want to skip the 1.10.1, just download the "update any version" to 1.11.1 patch. I suggest at the time of this review that you download the 1.10.1 and wait a bit on the 1.11.1 as not all mods have been updated by their creators to work with the 1.11.1 patch yet.
There's no need to download any patches as the steam version automatically updates when needed.

The sim is continually being updated and there are a ton of Mods available for free that will increase your enjoyment by 100%. Just be careful and make sure the mod you download is compatible with the version of the game you have. Most mods will have the version(s) they are compatible with in the description. A small "s" at the end means it's compatable with steam.
You'll also want to check out their new website for the latest info.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game ever!!!!, May 29, 2014
This review is from: Euro Truck Simulator 2 [Download] (Software Download)
This is by far the best simulator out there. However if you want an American truck simulator wait a few months-a year and the same company is coming out with american truck simulator supposedly. But back to this game. It is a great game. The graphics are so real life. However of the graphics are set too high the video becomes choppy when driving. The computer controlled cars and traffic work great. If you love simulators and have always wanted to drive this is the thing for you. It is by far with it. I have spent over 50 hours playing already. There is a lot of trucks and different load choices. The trucks are very detailed. Everything is perfect. The sounds are fair too. If you want the best experience I would suggest buying a compatible racing wheel to make it more "real". Great game in all

UPDATE:the thing I said about choppiness is because of my computers graphics card, not the game! Just make sure you read the requirements for the game

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Surprised, April 3, 2014
This review is from: Euro Truck Simulator 2 [Download] (Software Download)
I'm a first person shooter player, for the majority of my playing time. I stumbled across this on Steam, watched some YouTube game play, then bought it.
I'm addicted to this sim, and I'm not a sim player.
The map is huge, the mods are fantastic and plenty (and free). The graphics are great ( I'm running ultra settings with a GTX 760 sc and i5 processor).
This is simply an awesome way to play something different.
Can't wait for the USA version. NY to San Fran would be a blast!
Get this game.