Most helpful critical review
184 of 192 people found the following review helpful
The Good & the Bad
on November 22, 2011
I recived my Monster EZ2 on Saturday and I've used it to clean my downstairs since it's all tiled.
First off, I think my expectations of just how WELL a steamer was going to clean were NOT realistic. That being said. It is VERY easy to use and it DOES clean!
* It is VERY hard to push forward. I have had to use my foot at times to help push it forward. It is a strain!
* The pad WILL bunch up when pushing forward if you have not placed the pad far enough forward for the steamer to 'glide' on the pad.
* I have a 13' x 24' living room & it takes at least 2 fill ups to clean the entire floor. That is not so bad for me since I'm a stay-at-home mom, but for others that are working, that can be time consuming.
* It takes two pads to clean my living room/hall area (again, not that large of an issue for me since I do not work out of the home).
* The major annoyance for ME is that small cup that include for you to use to fill the steamer with. EVERY time I have used it, some of the water will drip and dribble down the side of the steamer. The hole to the boiler is as big as the spout on the boiler. I have tried to use a funnel, but with how the handle is joined to the bottom of the steamer, my funnel was to large to sit properly so I could make use of it.
* There is no no/off switch. You plug in the steamer and instantly it goes to heating the water in the boiler. Moving the handle backward releases the steam from boiler into the jets on the bottom. Pushing the steamer back into the upright-storage position shuts the steam off, but keeps the boiler HOT.
* The screw top on the boiler is a bit tricky. It's a good SAFE cap, but you MUST constantly push DOWN on it for it to unscrew or screw back on. Just annoying more then anything. Safety first I suppose. hehe
* There is a LONG wait (I feel) for the unit to cool down enough to put MORE water in. Supposedly you can place the unit in the upright position, wait 10 minutes and place more water in. I did just that, and steam was forcing out from the boiler as I unscrewed the cap!!! I'd UNPLUG the steamer and wait until it was COMPLETLEY cool before refilling it!
* Filling the steamer AFTER you have used all the water is VERY difficult!! The boiler its self is still VERY hot even after waiting the prescribed amount of time. The only way I now fill the boiler is to unplug and wait 20ish minutes!! That is a lenghy amount of time for someone who might work full time and not have the minutes to wait for a steamer when they need to clean up a mess!
* The steamer did NOT clean the dirt stained grout of my front entry way and bathroom. The tiles and grout are 'cleaned' but the grout is still dirt stained and dirty looking.
* This steamer is amazingly light-weight!!! Literally can lift it with one hand, even filled!
* The steam jets on the bottom are very good at getting dirty areas of the floor clean with just letting the steamer sit 10-15 seconds on it!! AMAZING!!
* I can clean my VERY LARGE living room with only having to fill the steamer twice!
* Heating the steamer takes only a few minutes after plugged in.
* The indicator lights are VERY clear and VERY accurate:
~Green (the second light) is to indicate that the water has heated to steaming levels and ready.
~Yellow (the first light) is to indicate that you have water in the boiler. When the light goes off, no more water.
* The screw on boiler cap to fill the steamer is a push down as you turn. I'm VERY glad for this since when I went to refill the boiler to keep cleaning there evidently was enough water left in the bottom to form steam and it seeped out as I unscrewed the cap to add MORE water (I did wait the length of time as stated in the owners manuel) and a GUSH of water escaped when I finally got the cap off. Thankfully the push down cap allowed enough of the pressure and steam to release before I got the cap fully off, so I was not harmed!
* I can plug in the steamer, let it take the few moments it needs to heat up and start cleaning my floor! I keep water IN the steamer so it's ready to go! I LIKE that it's so light weight it's soo dang easy to use for every day cleaning. It's ready before I'm done sweeping! AWESOME
* The steam temp stays at a steady 203 degrees!! That's NOT the steam BOOST on the front. So when it gets HOT....it gets HOT!
I read SEVERAL reviews on here about other products. This one did have a good rating. The steam is VERY high (I think). It cleans what I need cleaning. Easy to use. VERY light weight. I LOVE that it came with two cleaning pads (since I use both when cleaning the whole of main floor). It's VERY hard to push forward if you don't get enough of the pad for the steamer to glide on. I haven't yet used pad for steaming carpets, but I will be trying it out this weekend and will update then!
All in all it's a handy steamer. Now that I have personal experiance with steamers I'm going to be looking at getting one that I can use on my walls and other items in my house with!!
Would I buy this steamer again? Now having experiance with one, I would go with a steamer that is more versatile that will do more. The heat of the steam is excellent and the light weight of the over all steamer is wonderful. It's a nice every day use steamer. In the future I'll be purchasing a more heavy duty cleaner.
Still a nice steamer for the price and worth what I paid for it! The biggest draw back is when pushing it forward on the floor.