Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

Platform: PC/Mac Download|Edition: Standard|Change
Price:$39.99

on December 17, 2013
I've been playing this game series since EU2 (Love that game) and I thought the additions made to EU3 were great. I loved the different government types (I always thought having a royal marriage with the USA was hilarious in EU2), national ideas, spys, and colonial tweaks were great. However, I always had the feeling that EU3 was unfinished and unpolished, and just overall very clunky. It's my belief that EU4 is what EU3 should have been.

The interface is sleeker and easier to navigate, and the tool tips are very helpful. There are meriads of changes that have been implemented. Rather than having to deligate monthly funds into research, military, colonies and other things, you are now given a system of "power" points. You earn a certain number of these every month and you can choose what to do with them, like research, stability increases or whatever is appropriate. I will gripe that the new system is less realistic with real countries, butthe new system is more fun, makes it easier to get money, and stops you from going OCD over your economy tab. The AI is a big improvement. I always thought the AI in EU3 were a little soft and weren't as aggressive as in EU2. EU4 AI are much more aggressive and impose a greater challenge, which is fun. I'm still playing through the game and haven't seen all the changes yet but It's a solid game. If you're new to the series, this is a great place to start.

A couple gripes that I have with the game are as follows:

The country management UI is not scalable to different resolutions. I use a 1920 by 1080 monitor and the country managment UI is still this tiny little window where all of your decisions are minimized. It's really annoying to have to maximize and minimize all the diplomacy tabs all the time. There are mods for this on the Steam workshop that work well, but UI scalability should have been built into the game from the get go.

Another thing, the holy roman empire is a pain in the a#$. They were annoying in EU3, but now it's just nearly impossible to do anything with them. If you take lands through conquest, everyone immediatly hates you. I suppose it's more realistic, but it also gets frustrating when you have a billion tiny countries declaring war on you at once.

Theres other things I don't really like but I'm not gonna bore you with it.

Overall, it's a great game and very approachable for beginners into paradox grand strategy.
VINE VOICEon October 1, 2013
EU4 released to good reviews and I've spent more than 200 hours playing over the last two months. If you've never played a prior version, it's tough to sum up in a sentence or two. You play as any country anywhere on earth that existed in 1444, and you can roll the clock forward more than three centuries and play as any country that existed in any of those years (the game still ends in 1820, though). Generally, pick powerful countries when you're new to the game, and weaker ones as you improve.

EU4 improves many areas of play from EU3. Trade is better by leaps and bounds. Navy is integrated into trade and a real necessity. Diplomatic relations are improved by spending Diplomat time, a limited resource. The Monarch Points system is a good way to make you choose between priorities, though when you get stuck with an awful leader for decades, you may learn to hate it. The biggest change is that EU4 nations are no longer as vanilla as EU3, every one has different National Ideas, bonuses you get when you make certain other improvements (these other improvements are the same for any nation). There's a big difference between countries, and it shows when you go up against them, or if you play as them.

All in all, there are many improvements in the look of the game, in the mechanics, and yet the core of the game is the same EU I've been playing for more than a decade. Or it was. The Devs decided that the way people were playing the game when it was released involved too many easy ways of succeeding. They released version 1.2, which added some free stuff and interface improvements, but clamped down on expanding. Now, this is a war game at heart. If you're not expanding, you're not playing (with the exception of Colonial/Trade only powers such as Portugal). The players who are used to conquering the entire world while starting as any small country welcomed the "challenge", most players it just drives crazy. I gave up on the game as more frustration than it was worth.

If you've played EU3, I recommend trying EU4. And I'm glad you're recovered from that coma which kept you from buying the game at release. Just get used to needing to play a stronger nation at the start than you'd expect, and expect the game to bog down after 150-200 years (remember Vicky2 at release, where you could only play 50 years before rebellions shut down the game? same thing only now it's coalitions). Well, it bogs down until they fix it, which might happen.

If you've never played a prior version of Europa Universalis, I say skip this one. Pick up Crusader Kings 2 if you haven't already. There's a game where they were worried more about making the game fun than in punishing success. Watch for EU4 to be on sale for half price or less before taking the chance. Check back in 2014 and see what they've done to it. Right now, for a new player, EU4 is, well, more frustration than it's worth.

NOTE - You're not buying the game from Amazon as much as you are from Steam. You get a Steam "key", which lets you play the game. Steam is only needed to download the game and any updates (upgrades are mandatory at Steam, no playing the release v1.1 for you!). You can play offline.
on January 3, 2014
EU3 was a fantastic game, and EU4 improves the game even further. Refinements to various systems, like trade and colonization make those much more fun. The game is hard, as always, but with good planning you can outsmart the other nations. Highly recommended for fans of Paradox strategy games and fans of strategy in general - if this is your first time playing one of their games, definitely check the online wiki's and guides to help you out. These games are very complex with a steep learning curve, but very rewarding once you get the hang of it.
on January 30, 2014
If you want an easy game that you finish in a day, this is not for you. This series is very in depth and thier are always more choices and plans to be made. I played two games when I was deployed to Afghanistan and it was a great distraction.

I worked in an office and had the easy life compared to most you see in the news, but still I really appreciated having a great game like this to pass the time with,
on January 30, 2016
Extremely addicting. It may be overwhelming at first but once you get the hang of it, you will see why everyone loves it.
And i recommend you checkout Crusader Kings 2, very similar but you get to play as a king/queen.
on April 9, 2014
I've played a lot of Crusader Kings II and never the EU games, so this is my first installment. I love the strategy and depth of it. It was incredibly complicated at first, I was so lost and confused on what I needed to do and how to do it, but it comes with a nice tutorial in the game, plus on Steam, there are quite a few helpful guides to read for newbies like myself. I love the grand scale of the game and will be playing it for a long time to come.
on December 22, 2013
You can play as any European state, even the little ones. There are many preselected, suggested scenarios to play. It's possible to learn while playing. The game pace can at times move rather slowly but there is a real time adjustment feature that lets one zip through the dull bits. Graphics could be better and you might wish to supply your own soundtrack.
on February 27, 2014
This is one of the best historical simulation games there has ever been. The options feel balanced and most of the limitations do too. I especially like most aspects of the diplomacy and war systems. The map is beautiful and the game just seems to work on several levels.

There are a few places where this game could stand some improvement. The trade system is terrible. There are so many numbers just thrown around and we are never told what any of them mean: How does the trade value of this node affect the amount I can collect from it? Why can somebody else have a majority trade out of my node when I own all the provinces? Things like that. I also dislike the extent to which the single player game is build to feel like a player vs. player game. Pvp is all well and good, but I bought this game looking for a historical feel to where I could guide my country in a world that feels more real and plausible. So I don't like it that stability seems to trend toward 0. I especially don't like it that things like comets and weather conditions seem to come at random. These things should be based on what actually happened because France conquering Savoy is not going to change whether it rains. I would also add more events and decisions based on the things the players actually do. The end of the game feels really sparse when it comes to personalized decisions.

All in all this is an amazing game that all people who love history or a good strategy game should buy. It is probably the best out there, but it still needs some work to deserve five stars.
on November 16, 2015
Too complicated for me!

That doesn't mean it's a bad game, but it's not my cup of tea.

I bought it on a friend's recommendation after he talked about all the fun he was having. Turns out he's a natural at this and I am not.
on December 23, 2013
The game takes several hours to fully understand and appreciate, but once you do it is amazing to see how intricate each move you make can be. I had tons of fun trying to claim thrones with marriages and undermine other alliances.