Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 13, 2012
I'm really surprised that this hasn't come up in the other reviews.

When a travel guide is advertised for the shoestring traveller, one expects the focus of the book to be on traveling with a small budget. This is hardly the case. There is the occasional aside nod to budget within each chapter, but as far as the places to see/do/eat/sleep, you may as well have purchased a guidebook for each country because there is no low-budget emphasis. I was expecting to see SHOESTRING itineraries for the major cities in Europe.

I mean it's pathetic - in the Britain chapter there's a little box (paraphrased with some snark): "Did you know that you can get young persons railcards if you're 18-25? Makes it cheaper doesn't it?" In a SHOESTRING guide they really ought to provide more details on who is eligible and how to get one!

Lonely planet clearly chopped up all of their Europe guidebooks and shoved them into one (very large and hefty) book and instead of advertising it as such, advertised it as a shoestring guide to, I suppose, compel more people to buy it. I would return this book but the shipping alone would be at least ten dollars because of the heaviness which is %50 of what I paid for the darn thing.

I can see this book being useful for someone who wants a brief overview of each country regardless of budget. But that's what I would have bought if that's what I wanted. I wanted a shoestring guide - now I have a big fat book containing information equal to what I could have accessed on the internet for free. Sigh.
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2011
I'm a Kindle nerd and love it. I think it's flat out amazing. And I'm a fan of Lonely Planet. After some rough points in the last few years, they're back near the top of the pack. I also fly over 100,000 miles a year for fun, so I'd like to think of myself as a slightly experienced traveler. Having said that, I'm not sure I'm sold on the concept of eBooks for travel.

The eBook itself is a lot better laid out than slightly older "... On a Shoestring" eBooks by LP. It has color photos, lots of hyperlinks so I'm able to click around rapidly (from Index to Venice to various things in Venice) - makes it great for armchair exploration. The color photos look awesome on the Kindle Fire. The book also includes Morocco, which may or may not be in Europe.

The content itself is fairly consistent with LP's standards, Thomas Kohnstamm not withstanding. If I were planning a long European adventure, this book would be definitely part of my arsenal of books, along with others and information from online sources (Wikitravel, for instance.)

Lonely Planet also offers PDF maps on their website for other eBooks, but not as of yet for the Europe on a Shoestring eBook. I'm assuming that this is forthcoming, but I'd find myself either printing out lots of copies of maps or relying on the Kindle Fire to view them. If you don't have a Kindle Fire, I'd suggest getting the paperback copy of Lonely Planet Europe (Shoestring Travel Guide) - I quickly deleted off my Kindle Keyboard because it was slow and navigating around was a pain.

I'm of the camp that believes that a paperless travel guide is like a paperless toilet - not something I want to really do. Maybe it's just that I've spent a fair number of years with paper guidebooks that I can jot notes in, carry with me independent of worrying about power and share with a fellow traveler after I'm done. That's not to say that this book is worthless - quite the contrary - it's great to have it all in a digital format that won't weigh you down if you need multiple books. It's all going to boil down to personal preference. Either way, you'll have a vast majority of the information you'll need to navigate around Europe on the cheap.
on March 4, 2012
I'm planning my first vacations to Europe, and I wanted a guide that covered all the continent so I could read and decide the countries and cities I want to visit. I found this travel guide an excellent source for this matter; it has little but important information about each country and the main cities, at the end it's a book covering the highlights whole Europe.
on June 2, 2012
I purchased this book as a kindle edition to use while in Europe next year. Personally, I think the guide itself is just fine, but the maps are basically unreadable as they only zoom out one level :( I overcame this issue by just purchasing 99 cent kindle downloads of certain city maps from the guides under the publisher "mobileReference, which have guides entitled "Barcelona Sights, Madrid Sights, Athens Sights etc" They even contain the GPS coordinates of every sight referenced.

I do like the fact the addresses and telephone numbers of museums, hotels and restaurants are listed with the price range, hours of operation etc. And the most recommended places to sleep, eat or tour. I enjoy the group of itineraries listed with routes in the event you need some guidance on where to visit and what to see. This guide is pretty good and could be a 5 star guide if the maps were readable.
on August 6, 2012
On the train in Europe and not sure where to stay, what to do, or what to see? GET THIS BOOK. Even for the seasoned traveler, this book is helpful.

I've studied abroad twice and also went on a 10-country EuroTrip. This book was my Travel Bible. If I was stuck, confused, lost, tired, lazy, or anything, this book helped me through it.

I'm not a huge fan of travel guides, but this book, if possible, is kind of an anti-travel guide. It tells you when, where, and how to go somewhere. I will never travel abroad again without a Lonely Planet book, and the "-On a Shoestring" series is great for us poor, itinerant travelers.

I actually lost this book while on my trip and bought another one the next day. You won't regret it.

My ONLY complaint about this book is that it is quite thick and takes up a lot of space, but throw out a pair of underwear and pack this instead!
on November 29, 2011
The book is a good indication of things with some good points, naturally the highlights, but overall, you will need the actual destination books for full information to really get to know the place in depth. Fortunately, the places I went in Europe had great articles and media to help with the missing pieces of the puzzles.
on June 30, 2013
As someone who enjoys Rick Steves products, I was somewhat hesitant to spend the money on the Lonely Planet Guide for Europe on a Shoestring. This book is fantastic! Unlike many travel books that don't give you many inexpensive options or suggestions while traveling, the Lonely Planet guide includes specific budget ranges, several itineraries for different durations in one (or several) place, weather predictions, multiple forms of transportation, a lot of free suggestions, and covers many more regions and cities than something like a Rick Steves or a Frommers. I will definitely be buying more of these for travel.
on June 12, 2013
I love this book - I have traveled to Europe more than 30 times and this book taught me about some of the removed (remote) jewels hidden all over the world. A good informative read, highly recommended!
on February 27, 2013
Well it is OK but i really expected more. I had a previous experience with the Lonely Planet Southest Asia on a Shoestring and it was much useful. This one is OK, but it only shows basic information, less options (hostels, things to do, restaurants, etc.), and for our surprise prices were in much of the cases wrong (the book was published by the end of 2012 and we traveled on March 2013).
Useful for basic information, but I recommend further search for a detailed budget ;)
on September 8, 2012
This contains the usual good lonely planet info. The big problem is that who ever decided to make this an e book has never tried to use it. There is no easily accessable index, and it is hard to reurn to the individual country index. I find it hard to believe that more effort is not put into making the information accessable