5/9/13 an addendum

Published on July 1, 2008 by McWells

1.0 out of 5 stars No change in humidty
I purchased two of these units and have yet to see any change in relative humidity in the several locations I have tried them out. The units do slowly collect some water, evident when they are recharged and show a bit of condensation in the viewing window, but the reality is they are not removing anywhere near a substantial amount of moisture. I have used a hygrometer,...
Published on July 3, 2009 by SC_Film

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally works - review after FIVE years of use - recommend STRONGLY, July 1, 2008
This review is from: Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer (Tools & Home Improvement)
5/9/13 an addendum

Still using the VERY same items I reviewed below 5+ years later. In addition to these, I have added small chemical dehumidifiers (which are expensive to replace) to the Mr Stinky cabinets to pound the smell into the ground. But for chests & trunks & other items that didn't *already* reek of mildew, these are vunderbar. Great for safes. Still highly recommend after 5+ years of use. BTW, I let them charge (dry out) for 48 hours.

9/21/09 revised review

This is simply the best item I have ever bought on Amazon. I have now used them for TWO years and heartily recommend them.

I live in a very moist area & mildew, etc, is a HUGE problem here. After 2 years of religious recharging when pink, Mr. Stinky has finally departed from my problem cabinets (previously, I had drilled holes in the backs to improve airflow and even wiped the inside of those WOOD cabinets with undiluted bleach in an attempt to kill the smell).

NOTE: I use more than one EVA DRY 500 per chest or cabinent.

I now buy & use them BEFORE a smell problem arises.

I also use them hanging w/in muslin garment bags (shearling & leather coats).

Perhaps those who have had a negative experience w/ EVA-DRY didn't give the product enough time; do not expect complete dryness & a fresh smell immediately after placement.

I recharge it on a power slip placed on my kitchen counter (ceramic tile) because of other reviewers comments about the difficulty of wall outlet recharging due to Eva-dry's weight & because it *does* heat up when being renewed.

My only complaint is that it has next to zero instructions (e.g. the hanger on the 500 goes through the holes in the plug).

If you are on the fence as whether to order the EVA-DRY 500 or the smaller 333, do yourself a favor and order the 500. It's fairly large but it has a more stable base (if you aren't hanging it) & requires less frequent recharging.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite effective in small areas, July 10, 2006
I was surprisingly pleased with the Eva Dry mini dehumidifier. I hang mine just out outside our guinea pig's cage and it absorbs excess moisture quite effectively, keeping their food and cage area from getting too humid. It takes several weeks to fully absorb moisture but the indicator will go from blue to bright pink, and the unit will be noticeably heavier. Just plug the unit into the socket overnight to refresh.

4.0 out of 5 stars EDV-500 big improvement over EDV-300 especially hanger, August 27, 2007
I have 5 of these Eva-Dry rechargable dessicating dehumidifiers. Here in humid NC, using the larger in 4x8 closet works well. Takes some time, but definite measurable difference of 10-15% or so on humidity gauge after a couple of days. Need to recharge once a week here where even with the air conditioning on, indoor rel humidity is over 50% most days.

The larger EDV-500 has a much better hook which fits through the holes in the Eva-Dry EDV-500 plug, a feature that is not very well documented!

Also, there are occasional specials: recently a 2 for 1 sale on the EDV-500 with free shipping.

Only reason for not giving this product a 5 star is that as stated in other posts, the recharge process gets the unit very hot and it doesn't always sit well in an outlet without support. I too had one unit fall, and was fortunate the case stayed intact but the little beads could make for a real mess if the unit broke open!

But the real mess this thing avoids is dealing with drying chemicals that collect water and the dissolved dessicant. When that tips over, it is a wet mess, so the EDV-500 and EDV-300 avoid that type of mess.

PS - where in the world did someone get the idea to label this "wireless" in the Amazon description? Very misleading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked better than expected in my keg fridge!, November 22, 2007
I purchased this about a month ago for a beer keg refrigerator that kept collecting standing water on the bottom. I would use towels to soak up the half inch of water from the bottom of the fridge, but when I would open the fridge to check it again a week later, the water would always be back. Since I put this de-humidifier into the fridge a month ago, the fridge is still completely dry, and the beads have yet to change color at all, so I haven't yet had to "recharge" the dehumidifier. It's done just what I needed it to do. I'm very pleased with this purchase.
---UPDATE---
To my surprise, it was over 7 months before any moisture appeared in the bottom of the fridge again. I plugged in the Eva-Dry for about a day and a half (until I could see pink beads again), and put it right back in the fridge, which has been dry ever since (1 month and counting).

4.0 out of 5 stars It actually works haha!!, November 17, 2008
I bought this tiny little dehumidfier about 4 weeks ago, removed it from the box, set it up in a problem area of my house, and toally forgot about it! Until last week that is; I noticed a marked decrease in humidity and the place smells so much better too! The only drawback is when it comes time to recharge the crystals; I just put it in my bathroom and leave the vent fan on, but it still takes about a day before it's good to use again.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's working..., March 10, 2008
I have this product in my shower area. It is separate from the vanity. The unit seems to be taking in the extra moisture. My towels are dry and the walls aren't wet. I am on my 4th week of having it in my bathroom and the beads are just now turning pink. I am glad I purchased this.

5.0 out of 5 stars EDV-500 Dehumidifer, January 16, 2007
Barry Wolf (North Hills, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Dehumidifer works as advertised, easy to recharge by plugging in to an electrical socket, only drawback is the electrical socket can not be on the wall as the unit will not stay plugged in, unit is too heavy and falls out, a horizontal outlet must be used. Keeps everything in my gun safe dry, only have to recharge every two months as here in California the humidity is usually pretty low.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bad plug design, February 1, 2009
Tacoman "Tacoman" (Northern California) - See all my reviews
I got the 500 for my 1.6 cubic ft. AMSEC safe for my handguns and important documents and use a wireless temperature/humidifier sensor to measure the moisture. It works well and keeps moisture at bay.

Con: After a month and 2 renews, the unit stopped renewing. The unit would not heat up to release the moisture from the unit. Did a little troubleshooting and found that the collapsible power plug wouldn't make contact when plugged into the wall. This is the contact between the plug and the unit itself and not the wall. The weight of the unit when plugged into the wall would tend to pull itself away and cause it not to make contact with the unit. I verified this with a Fluke multimeter while pulling on the plug it would lose connection. The only work around is to charge it upright on a power strip where the weight would help give it a better connect.

The unit gets very HOT! I assume this is normal considering it needs alot of heat to release the moisture from the unit. I'm just afraid it might catch on fire one day during a renew. To be on the safe side, I renew in the middle of my tile floor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations, October 13, 2008
I purchased three of these little dehumidifiers to try to control the dampness in my basement. They are amazing little powerhouses, and I highly recommend them. I simply place a unit in an inconspicuous place in the corner of the room and leave it alone. When the crystals turn light pink (which is very obvious and usually takes about 3 weeks), I plug it into the outlet overnight to recharge. The unit is a tiny bit larger than I originally envisioned, but that works well because it can absorb more water. I experimented with the outlets in my home until I found one that supports the weight of the unit perfectly during recharging. It gets warm while recharging, but not so hot that it burns (or even feels close to burning). It doesn't have any sort of chemical smell at all, and has been easy to incorporate into my life. The unit seemed too large to hang, so I placed it on the floor (and on the shelf in one room). That hasn't been a problem because I don't even notice they are there. I would highly recommend this product for anyone with dampness issues in their home. Buy one for each closet or room that has dampness and check them after one week to start, then weekly, to easily ascertain how often you'll need to recharge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item to keep my photo gear free from moisture, February 8, 2007
I purchase two of the Eva-dry EDV-500 renewable DeHumidifer and hang them inside the closet where I store my photo gears. Although in California is not so humid but little moisture do add up. This dehumidifer is so easy to use -- unwrap it then hang it there. I check them once per several day. When the silica gel change from blue to pick, I just recharge it by plug it into the electric outlet overnight, then next morning, wow, a renewed dehumidifer is ready to use again. The changing of color is very obviously. I strongly recommend this item.

Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer