5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic in Practice Evaluation
Published on November 13, 2003 by Jaime Alvelo-Burgos

1.0 out of 5 stars enough is enough
Published on March 21, 2005 by a reader...

1.0 out of 5 stars enough is enough, March 21, 2005
I was pleased to hear that this text had been assigned in a graduate research course at my graduate school of social work. I'm seriously disappointed. I would not recommend this text's continued use. It is excessively repetitive, constantly restating previous material (commonly referred to as 'rehashing'), and, as a sidebar, i can't help but mention an irritating habit of unnecessary references to material yet to come ('we'll talk about that more in chapter 14.'). The writing style is terribly wordy, and in a weighted, clunky pseudo-conversational style that rarely is effective in a textbook. The actual technical information is obscured in a constant river of verbiage, usually in page after page of solid block text, the least helpful format when learning technical information (or when subsequently searching for specific information or techniques). The result? It serves as a strong sedative. Finally, the authors repeatedly express apologies, in what eventually (by page 350) feels like an obsequious and cloying manner, for putting forward an empirical and accountable approach to clinical practice. The worst, though, is the repetition of material, as if the reader were an idiot. The sheer relentlessness of it is what is so galling, and at $100 bucks, neither affordable nor worth the investment. There are other texts out there with clearer, cleaner, more articulate prose, that are more respectful of the reader, and at half the price, such as the classic and affordable: Single-Case Research Designs: Methods for Clinical and Applied Settings by Alan E. Kazdin. Ignore the pollyanna reviews above and below, and avoid this text, or if on the syllabus, protest and suggest an alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic in Practice Evaluation, November 13, 2003
Jaime Alvelo-Burgos (San Juan, PR United States) - See all my reviews
Bloom, Fischer and Orme continue to make an unique contribution to improving practice in the human services by providing a road map by which practitioners can evaluate their effectiveness. I've been using their text book for over 15 years in teaching practice evaluation and in has been an invaluable help. The new edition has a CD Rom with SingWin, CAAP,and CAAS which I was able to install in Windows XP Home edition. You must install CAAS before CAAP for it to work. The sofware computerizes record keeping, score computation, and graph construction. I strongly reccommend this textbook for human services faculty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Textbook, October 29, 2013
This book is awful. As a serious student who makes excellent grades and takes learning quite seriously, this book is insulting. As the previous reviewer stated, it repetitive to the point that every chapter says the same thing. It's far too long and far too expensive. I am in a dual Social Work and Public Health program, and this is my fourth methods course that I have taken. I understand the value of a good textbook, and this is most certainly NOT a good text book. If you are a student required to have this book, buy the older edition and save yourself some money - the citations are not super current even in this sixth edition, you won't be missing much at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars I mean, it's a textbook., February 17, 2014
It's fine. Easy to read and understand. Wish there were more examples in the book. Required reading for my MSW program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Graduate School Text, August 2, 2013
This review is from: Evaluating Practice: Guidelines for the Accountable Professional (5th Edition) (Hardcover)
Excellent reading. This item arrived on time and is an excellent purchase.
I like it very much and am VERY glad I ordered it. Thank you so much Amazon.com for the great price, good value and prompt delivery. I use this item frequently.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference material to keep on hand., September 20, 2014
Chris Maniscalco (NASHVILLE, TN, US) - See all my reviews
Was a required textbook. I kept it because it had some good reference material. I'd have disliked going through it chapter by chapter though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 25, 2014
Perfect for the class I needed it for.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great text book..., January 1, 2007
I ordered this textbook for an MSW course, and it's wonderful. I love all the examples and the software that comes with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great shape, September 23, 2011
Book was in wonderful condition. I received the book in the expected amount of time. I would use this source again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 6, 2014
Excellent

Evaluating Practice: Guidelines for the Accountable Professional (5th Edition)
Used & New from: $0.24