5.0 out of 5 stars The must have cookbook
As a Mexican I found Eva's recipes to be a great selection of Mexican dishes, easy to make and as she says, to enjoy with family and friends. We have bought a book for each one of our children, so that when they spend a day with friends they can impress them with these delicious Mexican recipes.
Published on April 10, 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special
I purchased this cookbook after seeing Ms. Longoria on "The View" promoting its recipes. The book itself is really quite nice. There a plenty of glossy color photos of many of the dishes and Ms. Longoria relates many personal stories of family and friends regarding each recipe. The recipes are organized and easy to follow. The problem I had was that none of the recipes I...
Published on October 21, 2011 by Tucker

5.0 out of 5 stars The must have cookbook, April 10, 2011
This review is from: Eva's Kitchen: Cooking with Love for Family and Friends (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars The only one recipe I've tried was a hit! Beef Tacos...Yum Yum!, April 12, 2011
WJahns (Mount Vernon, WA) - See all my reviews
I was watching Martha Stewart's show the other day, and Eva was a guest that day. She shared one of her recipes that they do in her Hollywood Restaurant "Beef Tacos". She only used two ingredients. YES, TWO ingredients. Chili Powder and Sea Salt. She rubbed these two ingredients on the beef (skirt steak). Then, they put that in the indoor grill brushed with vegetable oil to prevent the meat to stick to the grill.... and WALLA! Delicious :) then, she put her guacamole recipe. WOW! Eva didn't seem so confident like an experience chef in the kitchen, BUT I'm sure she put a lot of effort to make sure she had an excellent collection of recipes in her book. Honestly, I think she knows how to cook! Now, definitely I'm going to buy her book. Normally I don't write reviews, but I think she deserves this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Viva Eva !!, April 7, 2011
Oh my...this cookbook is great. Being Hispanic, growing up in Texas, these recipes remind me of my childhood. As Eva describes each recipe with love they are amazing.
My favorite is the "Fideo con Pollo" ..
Buy this book...learn the recipes..you will never good out for Mexican Food again !!
Viva Eva !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Flavorful and easy recipes; a lot of variety!, April 18, 2011
CMC (Danville, CA. USA) - See all my reviews
I scoffed at first when I heard of this book. I liked Desperate Housewives a few years ago, and think Eva's gorgeous, but a COOKBOOK?!?!?! Then I heard her talk about cooking on a talkshow to promote her book and her voice changed when she was talking about cooking. Eva talked about the ingredients and flavors and you could tell she knew what she was talking about. I have a WHOLE CUPBOARD full of cookbooks - Chez Panisse, Ming, Julie Sahni, Mexican, BBQ, Desserts...etc. I have only made a couple out of each; they have so many steps and I often don't have the time or energy...I work 4 long days a week.

But I have had the book only 1 week and have made and loved 5 recipes and more importantly, so does my family! I made the tilapia with citrus garlic sauce and the butter lettuce with strawberries and goat cheese, both in 1 hour combined including prep. The recipes are simple, yet the flavor is more complex than one would expect. I made the chicken with caramelized shallots and shiitake wine sauce and garlic green beans 2 days ago and also...1 hour from start to finish including prep for both dishes. My girls and husband loved it. I added garlic bread from the grocery, heated from frozen. I made the red velvet cake and it was GREAT! Love that the frosting is plenty enough for a crumb frosting layer (which I hadn't known about) and plenty more for the cake.

Most of the recipes are 3-4 steps and there are a few that are more labor intensive like the tortilla soup. My friend made that and she said it was good. The enchiladas because of the assembly take longer. But most I would say are 1 page or less of directions! She adds her personal touches to the recipes, my favorite of which are "Aunt Elsa's tips", from her Aunt Elsa, her inspiration.

There is a good variety of recipes, not just Mexican, but American or Tex-Mex. And the recipes are really healthy too.

Can't wait to try more. I think from now on, I'm going to avoid the famous chefs' cookbooks and look for regular cooks with regular recipes that are good, like this. But I will try Barefoot Contessa which people have been telling me about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eva's Kitchen : Cooking with love for family and friends, April 14, 2011
I couldn't wait to get this cookbook, and I was not disappointed! The first recipe I made was , The "Hungarian Paprika Chicken". It was delicious! This will be one that I make often.(I might try cream cheese instead of sour cream next time, just to try a different version)
I love the stories that Eva tells in this book too, I have to say, that this is the first time I have read a "cookbook" cover to cover in one sitting! I'm glad I decided against the Kindle version, it just wouldn't have been the same. 10 stars -this is a must have!!!Eva's Kitchen: Cooking with Love for Family and Friends

4.0 out of 5 stars Latin Flair with Easy Instructions, May 24, 2011
I bought Eva Longoria's cookbook after reading a few of her recipes showcased in Latina magazine. I'm also a huge fan of hers from Desperate Housewives and wanted to support her, especially considering the whole Tony Parker fiasco (What an idiot. What else can we expect from an athlete, I guess?) Thus far, I've made Sopa de Fideo, Veracruz Corn (with the aioli sauce - separate recipe), and the Red Velvet Cake with cream cheese frosting. I've never made any of these dishes before from scratch, so it was a great education.

The Sopa de Fideo recipe was great and more of a Mexican comfort food (in my opinion). Definitely, Mexican spaghetti style. I used actual fideo and doubled the recipe thinking I wouldn't have enough for a friend's birthday party, but I actually had way too much. I would advise sticking to the measurements for this dish, since it really stretches. The chicken is moist and delicious. I should've added more seasoning, so make sure you season throughout the entire cooking process to get it to your liking.

The Veracruz Corn was a hit and everyone was asking me for the recipe. I would most certainly make this recipe again and again. Definitely a crowd pleaser and also very pretty as far as presentation. It was so flavorful, a little spicy with the jalapeno, and just plain delicious. The aioli sauce makes it! If you're in a bbq type situation, definitely roast the corn for that smoky flavor. However, after making it once and taking the time to grill the corn on my grill pan at home, I would consider using frozen corn instead. Cobbing the corn can be a bit of a pain. It's less work and quicker, especially if you're wanting to make enough for a large crowd. I would also use store bought tortilla chips rather than making your own strips specifically for this dish. The queso fresco and aioli sauce make a great pairing in the oven. Lots of rave reviews from friends.

The Aioli sauce, which I made specifically for the Veracruz Corn dish was absolutely delectable. I was surprised by how easy it was. I didn't have a food processor, so I used my electric mixer, and it still came out great. I am thinking of using this sauce as a dip/spread for jalapeno poppers, cornbread, french fries, etc. I couldn't find minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce at my grocery store, so I bought whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and minced them myself - all good. This sauce is a winner!

The Red Velvet Cake was simply incredible. I've never made red velvet from scratch, but it is most certainly worth it and highly recommended. Her recipe is perfect. Make sure to buy the cake flour and crisco per her instructions (not ingredients that I normally use in my baking). It's worth it! I'm an avid baker with many successes under my belt, but when I took the cakes out of the oven and saw the beautiful swirls of chocolate mixed with the blood red color - I knew this was going to be a revelation. I made the cream cheese frosting recipe to go with it. Wow. Decadent. I would recommend cutting it in half, since it's just way to much frosting for a 2 layer cake. I have frosting in my fridge right now that I plan on using in a few days to not waste it. Again, rave reviews from all my friends. One of the birthday girls could barely get a piece!!! Of all the dishes I made, the red velvet cake got the most compliments.

This is a great cookbook for beginner/intermediate cooks who need basics on how to cook tex/mex food.

5.0 out of 5 stars She got it right!, April 12, 2011
Mallory Graf "san francisco" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Finally! Someone has written a book about Mexican receipes that is authentic! Of course this book is much more than that-it has receipes from other parts of the world as the author explains in this lovely book. However, many of her receipes are old family receipes that she kindly shares with us. Enchiladas, refried beans, guacamole and pico de gallo--ahh she got them soooo right. Best of all, she used lemons for guacamole and limes for pico de salsa! It's NEVER the other way around-ever! So thank you Eva-as a fellow Latina I am so happy that you wrote this book-sooo yummy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, April 23, 2011
I really love this book! Just when I thought I wouldn't buy another cookbook, I came across this in the library. After trying several recipes, I knew I had to get my own copy. The tortilla soup was amazing!!! My entire family loved it. The beer-braised brisket, flank steak, and lemon fried chicken were all hits as well. The cranberry-poached pears were just delicious. Eva's passion for cooking really shines through on every page. The family stories sprinkled throughout were really heartwarming.

5.0 out of 5 stars She bangs!, April 11, 2011
I made the lemon fried chicken, and veracruz corn. I tweaked the recipes a bit, and my family loved this meal. I never buy cookbooks, but after seeing how Whoopi Goldberg went back for the corn made me buy this book. This is my best buy at Amazon, I recommend this book highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly Brilliant, April 21, 2011
I got this out from the library expecting it to be fluff but it is excellent! Now I have to go and order one to keep for myself! Really a wealth of simple delicious recipes and I think its a beautiful book too.

Eva's Kitchen: Cooking with Love for Family and Friends
Eva's Kitchen: Cooking with Love for Family and Friends by Eva Longoria Parker (Hardcover - April 5, 2011)
$29.99 $19.88