5.0 out of 5 stars Advance Warning ... Cliffhanger Ending ...
For all of us who have been following the saga of Eve Duncan, Iris Johansen has developed a trilogy of "closers" ... letting us have closure with Eve and Joe concerning what happened with her daughter Bonnie.

Published on March 4, 2011 by Alex S

3.0 out of 5 stars ouch. truly disappointing.
This is the 11th Eve Duncan book by talented author Iris Johansen. I had read 5 or 6 of the series but lost interest and hadn't read any for a while when I saw that "the mystery (of Eve's daughter Bonnie's abduction and murder) will finally be solved", so I decided to check it out.

Published on March 21, 2011 by audrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Advance Warning ... Cliffhanger Ending ..., March 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

In this first novel, Eve (the next two are Quinn and Bonnie), we are taken back to the very beginning, before Bonnie was even born, when we meet Gallo, about to join the army, and follow his intense relationship with Eve ... and the conception of Bonnie.

When Eve is confronted with the possibility that it is Gallo, Bonnie's own father, who kidnapped and killed Bonnie, she had to find out. The question throughout the novel is whether Gallo is being honest with Eve, or whether he is leading her into his own trap. And yet, those who know Eve will realize that she can't take the chance. If she can find out what happened to Bonnie, maybe she will finally have closure after so many years.

The question throughout the book is the same as in all Eve Duncan novels - who killed Bonnie - in this novel we look at Gallo; Black, a psychopathic pedophile killer who is an assassin for the CIA; and Queen, a rogue CIA agent who controls both of them.

As I said in the title, it ends with a cliff-hanger, leaving the door open for the next novel ... with someone important dead, someone else critically injured, someone missing ... and questions left unanswered.

Iris Johansen has promised "everything will finally be answered" in this trilogy, but I do have one hope and a question of my own. Will Eve be content with the answers if and when she finally holds Bonnie's bones in her hands and has a chance to bury them? Will she be able to bury the past? Will she have the chance to grow into someone else, someone "beyond Bonnie"?

Like all Eve Duncan fans, I am grateful that this series is coming to this explosive climax, and look forward to the final two novels.

*** Special Note *** If you have not yet read the last novel about Eve, Chasing the Night, you will want to read it before this particular novel, since it incorporates the same characters, and while the novel stands independently, you will enjoy it much more with the background information from Chasing the Night.

3.0 out of 5 stars ouch. truly disappointing., March 21, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Ouch. I feel like I got burned. Johansen's writing is still good (except when the protagonist -- who, we are often reminded, is tough and practical -- becomes rhapsodic about Bonnie), but the story has gone off the rails .... and the solution COMES AT THE END OF A TRILOGY (of which this is the first volume)! I thought this was a pretty tacky marketing ploy.

I thought reveals were clunky and we are obviously being set up for a shuffling of partners in the future.

SPOILER ALERT: Throughout the series Eve has communicated with her daughter through dreams and hallucinations and apparently, while I was not reading the series, it became clear that Bonnie is a bona fide ghost. Not only that, but she visits Joe Quinn, Eve's boyfriend, too. This reminds me of the deep disappointment I felt when The Stand turned into a post-apocalyptic religious war.

As usual, the characters are interesting, but not enough for me to read any more of the series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly Disappointing, May 4, 2011
This review is from: Eve (Eve Duncan) (Hardcover)
After the great heroine (Katherine) in Chasing the Night, I thought Johansen was back in great form, but this is truly a horrible novel for those readers who has invested 11 books trying to care about the characters and love Joe. In Eve, Joe goes back to being the sad sap of the previous novels, who for some unknown reason is insanely in love with Eve. Eve, who continues, book after book, to be rescued because she can't stop doing truly stupid things...like trying to protect Joe by running away with the father of her dead child to catch the killer.

Ok...was Joe supposed to NOT run after her?

And what's with Bonnie's father being sexy and dangerous like Joe is supposed to be some 10 books ago? Are we, the reader, supposed to enjoy the hot sex between a young Eve and Bonnie's dad?

And PLEASE, PLEASE can somebody explain why EVERY man falls in love with Eve because she is "strong"? Does "strong" mean being stupid? Is there ANY book where Eve doesn't do something no one with common sense would even entertain?

Oh wait, maybe "strong" means being rude? In every Duncan novel, Eve (or Jane) is telling people off, even those who they've enlisted their help...

Yes, I'll read "Joe"--and maybe even "Bonnie"...but with the hope that Joe finds someone worth his passion and loyalty...and that Eve finally joins her Bonnie--and leave the reader to move on to a heroine with brains and common sense.

4.0 out of 5 stars "If Adam and Eve hadn't ate from the tree...we'd all be naked." Famous quotes, April 7, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Eve Duncan is one of Iris Johansen's ongoing characters. She's a well respected forensic sculptor whose work is in demand by many police departments.

She's been with her lover, Detective Joe Quinn of years and still has the heartache from when her seven-year-old daughter, Bonnie, was kidnapped two years ago. Some think that Bonnie is dead. However, Eve's friend, Catherine Ling, of the CIA asks her if she's considered if Bonnie's father, John Gallo, couldn't have anything to do with it.

Eve is startled. She thought that Gallo was dead, killed while serving on active duty.

The story flashes back to the time when Eve was fifteen. We learn about her childhood and some of the questions about her past are answered.

She met Gallo when she was growing up in Atlanta. Her mother was a self indulgent drug user. When Eve was fifteen, a group of local hoods were assaulting her after she went to the help of one of her girlfriends. The situation was becoming worse when Gallo appeared and dispatched the young punks. Gallo became attracted to her for her gutsy manner in sticking up for her girlfriend and attempts to convince Eve to enter a romantic relationship with him.

The novel portrays Eve's fighting spirit and goals to overcome her poverty and become successful.

The story tells of what happened to Gallo and how he reappeared after serving in advanced unit in the military. He developed his skills with undercover work and unfortunately, he also made enemies. Although he moved on with his life, he never forgot Eve or the daughter they had together. When Eve learns that Gallo survived the war, Eve feels that she must find out, for herself, if he had anything to do with her daughter's kidnapping.

Her search for her kidnapped child also gives hope for parents of missing children.

I enjoyed the novel. This is an ongoing character and there are still a number of questions unanswered. This just makes the reader want to come back to read more about Eve Duncan and her kidnapped daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars So not Fair....., March 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What a tease! This is the trilogy that we have all been waiting for! If you have been following the Eve Duncan series you probably want what we all want...for Joe and Eve to finally have their happily ever after and for Eve to get her closure for herself and her daughter Bonnie. Well, I assume this book is the beginning of the end of this series which makes me incredibly sad because I have loved this series but also excited to finally get the answer to what happend to Bonnie.

In this book titled appropriately, Eve...the reader gets a glimpse into Eve's background as a teenager and the conception of Bonnie...Eve's daughter....the little girl that is behind everything that Eve does. Bonnie rules Eve's life and her kidnapping was the beginning and the end for Eve. Eve will NEVER move on with her life until she makes sure Bonnie's murderer is dead and Bonnie is properly laid to rest. Eve never counts on this course in her life taking her back to her teenage encounter with John Gallo, Bonnie's father! I just hope that the answers that Eve gets can help her move on with her life and lets her really give herself to Joe. Joe has been her rock, her love, her everything, BUT not even Joe can break through the Bonnie wall...I really want to see that happen for Joe...and for Eve!

I literally can't say anything more without giving away the story. All I can say is that I devoured this book and I absolutely can't wait to read the next book in the series as this one ended with a heck of cliff hanger. LOVED IT! I can't believe I have to wait months for the next book, QUINN...so not fair!

1.0 out of 5 stars Major rip off for fans, April 24, 2011
This review is from: Eve (Eve Duncan) (Hardcover)
I am appalled at the marketing these three books are being given. Fans of this series have been waiting for years to find out who killed Bonnie. I, for one, have gotten so tired of the staleness of the series. Eve and Quinn are predictable, there is nothing fresh about them. They go through the same motions and the same script book after book.

We meet a teenage Eve and read about her history. Nice, but not necessary....Eve does what she does because of what happened to Bonnie. Nothing in her past is relevant to Bonnie's murder, with the exception of her father. Poor long-suffering Quinn is also very predictable and stale and somewhat whiny, "I know I've always been a second fiddle to Bonnie." Big surprise.

I also fail to see what use the second book, Quinn, has to do with anything that happened to Bonnie. His story, past and present, cannot possibly add anything about what happened to Bonnie. It can only bring in more money for Ms. Johansen and her publishing company.

We are left with a very short list of possible suspects. One of whom can almost be guaranteed to be off the suspect list due to the writer's own words. This book should have ended here. The author could have shown some allegiance to her fans by ending this series with Eve, instead of making them fork over good money for two additional books.

Wait for the paperbacks....

1.0 out of 5 stars Feels like more of the same, to me., May 30, 2011
This review is from: Eve (Eve Duncan) (Hardcover)
**There may be SPOILERS below for the book**

Just finished "Eve" after having rented all of the previous books in the series and reading them in order, in anticipation. I needn't have bothered, since this book is practically a carbon copy of every other Eve Duncan book to date. Every book has the exact same formula:

1) We begin with Eve and Joe at rest after the events of the previous book.

2) Someone tips them to a new possible suspect as to who killed Bonnie, or the serial-killer of the week contacts Eve because apparently they all need to torture someone, and apparently it always has to be by convincing Eve that they killed her daughter.

3) Joe and Eve argue over whether or not she should get involved, and we hear about Joe's insecurity and resentment over his place in Eve's life...right behind her obsession over finding Bonnie.

4) Separately or together, they go play the new serial killer's game and experience various adventures / mishaps, wherein Joe is usually all alpha-male, gets injured, and Eve tries to shut him out so he doesn't get hurt by her obsession.

5) Just when we finally get to the point where we might find some answers, the serial killer reveals he didn't actually kill Bonnie, he was just emotionally torturing Eve. Often we get a clue as to who the killer might actually be, setting us up for the next book.

And that's just the basic formula. There are plenty of other common factors. Every male character is exactly the same. In this book, we learn that John Gallo is virtually identical to Joe (I guess Iris Johansen doesn't think we'll like normal guys? They all have to be alpha-male types who were Navy Seals or Rangers or something?). He's yet another character (as they've all been) who has a thing for Eve, despite the fact that she's rude and willful to the point of being extremely selfish and a menace to others.

The language / phrasing hasn't changed at all, either. I didn't count how many times "He went still", or "he stiffened" came up, but it was enough. Find some new descriptions, please!

And some of the things we've come to take for granted - such as Joe dropping everything and coming after Eve when she takes off to find the current serial killer herself - just don't fly anymore. There's even a comment in "Eve" about how it was amazing he still had a job after all the times he's had to up and leave. The reality is that that doesn't work. All these books, and Joe's had at least one emergency per book where he's had to take time off work to go chasing after Eve. And we're just supposed to believe that goes unreprimanded?

Similarly, some of the things the characters say now are just completely ridiculous. Eve says to Catherine at one point, "My adopted daughter Jane Macguire..." Um...Catherine knows who Jane is. We all know who Jane is. And for the people who are just coming in right now, with this book, Jane could easily have been explained in the content of the paragraph without Eve having to say it in such a stilted fashion. Which she has said numerous times before, by the way. It just seems so amateurish by this point.

Honestly, I was extremely underwhelmed with this book and have become weary of the stale nature of the series. I'm only reading it because I'd like some sort of final answer as to what happened to Bonnie, but I guess I'll have to wait for HER book for that. Hopefully? I don't know...it would mean departing from the formula, and I'm not sure the author is capable of that.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is boring!, June 11, 2011
Noni (Depok, Indonesia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eve (Eve Duncan) (Hardcover)
I haven't read Iris Johansen for years. I picked up this one recently, as I remember her earlier books like THE UGLY DUCKLING, AND THEN YOU DIE or THE FACE OF DECEPTION, could keep me engaged years ago. I am disappointed, though, reading this one. The writing style totally bored me. I stopped reading before halfway through the book. It was probably just me growing up, or it could be her writing style has become kind of predictable after all these years.

Actually, the plot can be interesting. Some pages were quick-paced and good. But these page-turner were too small portion in a whole, compared to when Ms. Johansen described the sex scenes, or how obsessed each guy about Eve, or how good the chemistry between them all, and many more dramatic words were used, which were not necessary to the plot. It only added the book length a couple hundreds more pages, without real purpose.

In fact, it was weird to read how obsessed everybody with everybody, when I could not put my finger on it, of what actually made these people so obsessed toward one another, despite having read the obsession described for 20-30 pages in each section.

And it is annoying also, that I cannot tell the difference between characters. What is the difference between Eve Duncan and Catherine Ling? Or John Gallo and Joe Quinn? And other characters were also described more or less the same. They were hot, single minded, obsessive to the point of insane, mysterious, very good in what they were doing..., in short, everyone in the book was extreme and dramatic, that they were predictable, thus, boring! No surprise that is necessary to keep one on toes in order to keep reading. So, I wouldn't recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Only Thing that "Burns" here is Johansen's Hormones., June 8, 2011
Carlisle Wheeling (The World of Diversity) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eve (Eve Duncan) (Hardcover)
Wow, did we need that much detail about Eve Duncan and John Gallo? Screw Eve--to pardon my pun--but if I had a man like that in my bed, I sure wouldn't have cared if I trusted him or not! Then I remember that, unless they're walking the streets, teenagers don't talk to each other or have sex like that. Most teens think the Kama Sutra is an expensive coffee house drink from Brazil. However, it went on and on and on. Why should the reader care about hot, steamy scenes unless they're one of the principal players and, believe me, I'm getting my own these days, thank you very much. That's not the worst of it. We have jealous, boring Joe trying to compete with the ultimate hottie, and it gets me wondering if Johansen is taking too many estrogen pills. Eve talking to dead people is not sexy; it's disturbing and creepy.

Catherine Ling is a disappointment this time around, and our serial killer just talks in a stupidly Lifetime-like growl. He reminds me of Patch from Days of Our Lives, eyepatch and all. This book is pure drivel, not to mention a waste of time from Johansen. Must we have more cliffhangers? I was so looking forward to this one, and now I'm not so sure I care for the next. I never liked Joe much, and I'm scared of what she'll do to hottie Gallo, the only thing that glued me to the book. Well, leave it to Iris. If she has her way, she'll suck all the excitement right out of him along with all her regular characters.

1.0 out of 5 stars An ending too long in coming., April 23, 2011
Theresa A. Betros (Mercerville, NJ (USA)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eve (Eve Duncan) (Hardcover)
The author and her publisher are taking "gross" advantage of their readers with this trilogy that will finally put an end to the mystery of who killed Bonnie Duncan. The end could easily have, and should have, been the reason for this book.

I rooted for Eve and Quinn in the beginning of this series, but she became tiresome and predictable, and her relationship with the long-suffering Quinn became tiresome and predictable. This series of books are almost clones of one another; so much so that it seems that there must be an "Eve Duncan" template that the author uses to make some minor changes to each book, market it under a different title, and watch the money come in.

What this book does reveal is something of Eve's past, way too much for necessary background to understand Eve, since we already know the primary motivation of Eve becoming a forensic sculptor. It's anti-climactic and serves no other purpose but for loyal fans to cough up money for the second book, and then a third book.

We finally have a short list of suspects for the role of Bonnie's killer. What is surprising is a sort of spoiler from the author herself. Eve makes the statement that if whoever killed Bonnie "was someone I know, I could never forgive myself." That sentence takes one major character off the suspect list. If it indeed turned out to be someone Eve knows, then Eve would have no peace or closure after Bonnie is laid to rest. Her torment (and thus Quinn's, and ours) would never end.

We are then left with two possibilities, which actually if readers think about it, really leaves one. That is not justification for two more Eve Duncan books.

There are some fresh new characters which add some interest to the book; Bonnie's father being one of them; the other a known killer. The main characters say what they've always said; do what they've always done.

In any case, Bonnie should have been laid to rest in this book; instead the author and the publishing company will bilk her readers for two more books to find out the denouement. I don't think it will come as a great surprise to anyone when all is revealed in the "Bonnie" book. For myself, I will wait until these books become paperbacks, and then look for a free swap on [...]. Save your money....

Eve (Eve Duncan)
Eve (Eve Duncan) by Iris Johansen (Hardcover - April 19, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01