Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

• Eve
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$6.99

VINE VOICEon August 23, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It is the day before graduation and Eve is excited to walk into the next phase of her life. She is to be the valedictorian and has just been awarded an award for the highest achievement. She looks forward to her future, one where she will study hard to become and artist and eventually go off to practice her craft in the city. But as she sits enjoying the pre-graduation ceremonies, she sees a trouble making classmate, Arden, slip away from the celebration. On impulse, she decides to follow her and this decision will prove to be life changing. Eve discovers that she and the rest of her graduation class are destined for the birthing house as reproduction units, producing children for as long as they are productive. That night, Eve sneaks across the river and to her horror discovers that Arden was telling the truth. Eve escapes, leaving behind the only home she has known since she was five.

Eve journeys across a ruined America trying to find an enclave she has been told will help her and shelter her from her newly discovered fate. But her education at the school has ill equipped her for life beyond its walls. When her food supply runs out, she finds herself starving and desperate. By some twist of fate, she runs into Arden and after pleading not to be discarded, they become traveling companions.

I have so many mixed feelings on this book. As I got to the half way mark, I couldn't put my finger on what it was about the book that did not quite click. Up to that point, Eve was okay as a heroine, not particularly compelling but not annoying either. But something still nagged at me and as I read on I began to understand what some of what it was. For one thing, I found her willingness to escape, to run from into the wild a bit unbelievable. This is a girl who never breaks the rules, believes wholly in all the propaganda she has been consuming all her life. But we are expected to believe that she undergoes so many revelations and personality changes in the space of a few hours that she is ready to escape and leave her best friends behind. Maybe if she had been portrayed as someone who had secretly harbored doubts and questions over the years, I would have bought it much easier.

But my issues with Eve continue as she hits the road. Her naivete is played up and displayed over and over again. It made complete sense that she would not know how to hunt, fish or set traps, she had after all grown up in a sheltered and privileged environment where she never had to wonder how her food made it onto her plate. But the problem with creating such a naive character is that it sometimes become hard to distinguish between a lack of common sense and whether or not naivete can explain away her inability to make simple decisions.

I wanted to see a real evolution of Eve and I never really got it. Maybe in the next book she will show more character development but in this one she was kind of the same person from start to finish.

Also certain scenes bothered/annoyed me. When she has an encounter with a bear and its mother ends up chasing her, I found it slightly amusing but predictable(complete with salvation in the form of man on horse back). Also the all too familiar trope of "girl gets cold and man takes off his cape, jacket or in this case sweatshirt and gives it to her" was a bit much. This had been done to death, there are many other ways to show the guy is thoughtful, kind and protective, lets put this one to rest for some years and come up with other things.

But there are also some issues with the logic of this whole enterprise. So these girls are raised to believe that a bright future awaits them, that their education and hard work in school will earn them a place in the outside world. But in reality they are being cultivated to become breeding machines. The question then becomes why go to all that trouble? Why not just indoctrinate them into believing that producing children was an honor and was a service to their great new world? The teachers had already indoctrinated them to believe that all men except one were rapist and users of women, why waste resources and time educating them when their destiny ended in the birthing room? It just didn't make logical sense to me.

The last half of the book felt a bit rushed and disjointed, like we were just marking time to till we got to the end. I was not particularly thrilled by the almost one dimensional treatment of the men in this book. There seemed to be only two good men here, her love interest and a older gentleman she meets for a day and half. All the other men were either rapists, potential rapists or too young to have come into their rapist tendencies. For a book that is trying to show the poisonous way that Eve was raised by her teachers, showing so few good men seemed to almost prove the teachers' point.

This was not a bad book by any means, it just failed to live up to its promise. I will check out the next book in the series because I hope the story gets better.
55 comments113 of 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My first instinct upon reading the description of this novel was to take a pass. But there was something so appealing in its being called a cross between The Handmaid's Tale (a book I've long wanted but have yet to read) and The Hunger Games (a series I adore) that made me decide to go ahead and give it a try. Would that I had listened to my instincts. And, just for the record, this book is *nothing* like The Hunger Games. I think that comparison was used solely in an attempt to cash in on the (rightfully earned) popularity of that series. Fair warning: the spoilers in this review will be plentiful.

First up, the dystopia. I thought Carey's concept was pretty awesome and showed a lot of promise. The problem was all in the execution. There is no logic whatsoever in the societal structure of Eve's "New America". None. Very early in the novel, the reader is told that something like 98% of the population of the United States was wiped out in a plague. I'm not sure how many that leaves behind, but it sounds like it could only be a viable population by the slimmest of margins. Because of this, Eve and the girls like her are turned into baby incubators at the age of eighteen, strapped down to tables and kept constantly pregnant. When Eve peers into the breeding grounds, she notices some women with bloodied gauze around their middles. My first thought was, "Um, shouldn't they take better care of those women to ensure they don't get infections or suffer from ruptured uteruses. Wouldn't the objective be to keep them healthy so that they can keep cranking out the babies?" Apparently, no. I won't even get into the negative effects of stress on pregnant women, and how the conditions in which these women are kept make absolutely no sense if a healthy baby is the King's objective. The restraining and forcible insemination also bothers me. I mean, these girls are well aware of how compromised the continued existence of the human race is, right? No one is keeping this a secret from them. So shouldn't it follow that some of them might actually be okay with having as many babies as possible, all for the sake of keeping humans on Earth? Apparently, no.

Shortly after this, Eve makes her dramatic escape and finds herself being rescued by Caleb. Naturally, Caleb's got his own tale of woe, and he tells Eve all about the terrible work camps in which young boys and men are forced to toil for hours with abusive overseers, all so they can create a glorious playground for the King and the privileged few. Say what? If humans are so scarce, why would the King be working male children to death? This makes not one iota of sense to me. This is a huge, huge logical failure in the story, in my opinion.

The other logical failure that just irritated me was the question of why the girls receive this glowing, awesome education in which they learn how to play the piano, waltz, and read Russian literature, and are then strapped to a bed and made to bear one child after another. What is the point of this education? Where is the value in a presumably resource-strapped society putting so much effort and so many resources into an education these girls are never going to use? I mean, couldn't they have just walled them up and let them play with dolls all day and achieved the same ends--creating a docile population of girls who are undyingly loyal to their dystopian government? I can see no reason for this, other than to provide the opportunity for Eve to natter on about all of the great works of literature she has read.

Following along that train of thought, shouldn't Eve be delighted that she's been chosen to be the King's babymaking machine? I would think that someone who's always been such an obedient follower of the rules would feel like that was some sort of special privilege. The bounds of absurdity are then stretched further when the King's men begin their intense hunt for Eve. Why? Unless Carey's got some huge reveal up her sleeve in book two or three, I see no reason why the King would do anything other than shrug and find himself another surrogate.

From here, things just get worse. The characters are almost uniformly so generic that they blend right in with the paper on which the book is printed. By the time I finished, I had no idea who Caleb was. Sure, the reader learns about his escape from the work camps and also about a few pieces from his past, but nothing about what makes him tick. He is so spectacularly bland, I can't understand why Eve, who has been conditioned since early childhood to despise and distrust men, falls so spectacularly in love with him in such a short time. I can understand her devotion to boys like Silas and Benny, but not her devotion to Caleb.

All of the male characters in this book are given short shrift, really. In fact, I found the portrayal of males to be almost uniformly offensive. Nearly every male in the book is exactly the sort of vile predator about whom the girls in Eve's school have been warned. I really, really hope this is a problem that will be fixed in the future installments of the series.

As for Eve, I actively disliked her by about halfway through the book, which is never, ever a good thing--unless the author is purposely trying to create a despicable character, which was not the case here. For someone who's supposed to be so highly educated, Eve is about as dumb as a post. She constantly makes mistakes that result in the direst of consequences to other characters, and yet she is almost universally loved. What gives? What's more, I thought she was extremely selfish, putting her own safety above that of others on multiple occasions. When she had her hissy fit because Caleb didn't jump at her proposal that she stay in his camp--thereby endangering him and every other boy who lives there--I wanted to slap her. Not good, not good at all.

If there is any character that I really liked in the novel, it was Arden and, of course, she is given short shrift. Her only purpose in the plot--thus far, anyway--is to save Eve. She should have thrown Eve to the wolves, saved herself, and the book should have continued following her story. It would have been much better that way. Kudos to Carey for creating one female character who is capable of thinking for herself and shows some fire. Too bad I'm not writing that about her main character.

This is book one of a promised trilogy, and I can say one thing for certain: I will not be coming back for books two and three. There are far too many excellent books out there and far too little time for reading for me to stick with so disappointing a series.
1212 comments93 of 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2012
Originally posted on: [...]

Have you ever read a book and then had to ask yourself why you put yourself through it? Well, that was me with "Eve." The only saving grace with this book is that it is an extremely easy read. I got through it in a few hours. Just when I considered giving up, I realized I only had a few pages left, so figured I might as well finish it. Besides, I wanted to see how the train wreck would end.

Eve is at the top of her class in her school, the very best in her world of female orphans. She excelled in her classes including `Dangers of Boys and Men.' She is ready to lead her class of fellow seniors across the bridge to their new life and the magical city of sand. The night before her graduation, she stumbles across a room where she sees past graduates strapped to beds and pregnant. She realizes that in this new dystopian future, healthy females are used as broodmares. Eve then stumbles upon a teacher who helps her escape. This book is made up of a series of scenarios where Eve stumbles upon someone who risks their necks to save her. Why? I am not sure, because Eve is probably the most selfish, useless, mindless, pathetic character I have ever read. Including Bella Swan, at least Bella cares about the people around her. She suffers from guilt when someone risks their life to protect her. Also, the people who risk their lives for Bella are her friends, family and the two boys who love her. WHY, people risk their life for Eve, I do not know. As I write this, I realize that I am actually writing positive things about Bella Swan...that tells you my true feelings for Eve.

My main problem with this book is that the government's actions make no sense. Why spend years developing the minds of these girls if all you are going to do is strap them to a bed for the rest of their fertile years. Really, you are going to take ALL the girls and make them broodmares? You're making all the boys laborers? Who is going to be the doctors, teachers, etc? You want to build the country by making sure the girls have babies and just putting the boys to work? There are more orphans than there are families after the "plague," so it makes no sense that they would throw all of these children in camps and schools. Who is going to take care of these new babies, who is going to make sure that the world you have spent this energy rebuilding, keeps running?

My second problem with this "Eve" is Eve. At first I gave her a lot of slack. She is brainwashed and misled by the people who cared for her after the death of her mother. That's fine, what is not fine is how easily she is able to just adapt to life outside. She is in this group of boys and just relaxes , even though she has been taught that boys are bad. The "love story" between Caleb and Eve seems more like: Wow, you're a boy of around the same age, obviously we should be a couple. Especially, because you know your way around and you'll be able to take care of me, because I can not do anything alone. It just didn't ring true, not even as puppy love. Their chemistry does not jump off the page. Eve is prone to blushing, but that does not convince me this is some great love story. Not something that explains why he continually risks his life for her.

Spoilers below.

The entire Leif situation really pissed me off. It is not unrealistic that a boy who has suffered immense trauma, hasn't seen a girl in several years and has just had a girl be tender toward him, could misunderstand her feelings. Whether or not Leif truly believed that Eve wanted him is not really an issue for me. Maybe he did think she wanted him or maybe he's a rapist. I just care very little for his character. He is just not likable, so whether he is just a confused boy or a young man of horrible morals, doesn't sway me. What DOES bother me, is that no matter how naive, how pure, how simple a person is, they know whether or not they accept the advances of another person. When Eve is confused about whether or not she wanted Leif, I get so angry. She could be confused about whether or not she led him on, she could be confused about whether or not she had feeling for him, but wanting him?! Also, when she gets angry at Caleb because he does not want to rape her! How infuriating.

My other big pet peeve is when Caleb finds her (I wont even discuss the implausibility of that) at the end. She has just been the cause of the death of three people. Arden has disappeared and she has the nerve to be happy! WHOA, where is your guilt? Your sympathy? Why is this girl not taking responsibility for her actions and feeling grief over the fact that she is responsible for many deaths. People died because they helped her and like 5 pages later she's happy because she is off with her boyfriend! If she experienced simple relief at not having to journey alone, I'd be more understanding, but she says `I am with Caleb, I am happy.' I honestly, with all my heart wanted to slap her.

I wouldn't really recommend this book and I have no idea if I would pick up the sequel. It's very simple writing and a really quick easy read. Perhaps the next book will be more interesting, I don't know. All I know is that this first book, is just a jumble of scenarios where the main character never has to do anything for herself, is never injured and gets away with everything.
0Comment35 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2013
I'll start by saying this is the first time I've written a review about anything I've bought on Amazon.I first read Eve years ago and fell in love with the story. Dystopian star-crossed lovers story? Count me in. The first books were so riveting. The constant danger, the action, the romance. I eagerly awaited the final installment.

I was slightly disappointed by the book from the beginning (no spoilers, I promise). It went in a strange direction and much of the book was taken up by tedium. I missed the romance between
Eve and Caleb-a romance, I know realize, was the primary force behind the trilogy. Without it, this book stagnates. I put all of that aside, though, until I finished the book. The end of the final book can make or break a series.

I was incredibly surprised by how fast the ending came. Eve was thrown in every which directions. In the last 5% of the book (Kindle doesn't do page numbers), Eve is in four different scenes and makes two huge discoveries. Barely any time was spent explaining how previous events had lead up to what Eve saw before her. All that could have been okay, if the final pages just had a clincher of some sort. I wish I could say that they had, but....no. The book just ended. I flipped to the next page, but all I saw were the acknowledgements. I flipped back to the ending. Then back to the acknowledgments. Then I realized that the book had ended.

I've been an avid reader ever since I was five. I've read books whose endings made me laugh, cry, and sit down and made me think for awhile. Rise did none of the above. It just made me upset that the story that I had followed for so long didn't have any more to give me. The ending soured everything for me. If you don't think you would mind the abrupt ending, then by all
means, purchase this book. However, if you're looking for a well-rounded dystopian trilogy, I would suggest the Matched or Hunger Games trilogies.
44 comments22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2013
Eve / 9780062048509

I picked up "Eve" from Amazon Vine because it was sold to me as a cross between "The Handmaid's Tale" (which I love) and "The Hunger Games" (which I also love). That was, as we will see, a dirty lie designed by marketers with black holes where their souls should be. And now I'm stuck having to write a review for a book that I flung to the ground in disgust at about the halfway point. However! I am nothing if not interested in helping potential buyers decide whether or not to spend their hard-earned money on a book, so here is my Very Useful Summary of the first third or so -- if you like this, PRESS THAT BUY BUTTON NOW.

EVE: It's the evening before graduation, where I will present the valedictorian speech because I am the smartest girl in the entire world! Which is not terribly hard because 98% of the population was wiped out by a plague, but still. Also, I have no personality whatsoever besides being naive, obedient, and utterly unsuited for a dystopian environment, and am therefore intended to be a generic blank for the reader to sink into.

ARDEN: Hi! I'm the social outcast of the school and everyone rightfully mistrusts me because I lie and cheat and bully people! I have a personality, though, so you'll wish I was your protagonist instead of Meaningful-Name-Eve over there. I'm going to flee the walled school because graduates aren't sent to college; they're strapped to beds and forced to churn out babies in startlingly unsafe conditions considering how valuable they are as baby makers.

EVE: I don't believe you because that makes no sense: why would they teach us waltz and Russian literature if that were true? (NOTE: This really does make NO SENSE.) But despite the fact that you are an established liar, I'm going to break out of the dormitory, nearly break my foot, nearly drown, and get my hands torn to shreds on thorns JUST TO BE SURE. ... Oh, crap, she's right. Welp, nothing for it but to escape -- I'll go get my best friend.

TEACHER: Halt! Oh, Eve, I see you've decided to escape. I'll help you, but there's no time to get your best friend.

EVE: OK, if you say so.

TEACHER: I do. Oh, but go into the crowded dormitory and pack everything you own including the last letter your mother wrote for you before she died. Wouldn't want to leave that behind.

EVE: Of course not. I have priorities. And I'll try not to trip over my sleeping best friend while I pack. [later] Wow, it's really hard to find food and water when I've only ever been trained in waltz and Russian literature. Oh! Arden! Can I come along with you, despite the fact that my presence will hinder you and possibly get us both killed?

ARDEN: Sure, but I'll glower at you while the reader again wishes that I were the point-of-view character instead of you who are so impractical you refuse to use blankets if they've had a dead person touching them.

EVE: While you hunt food for me, I'll just wander off into this Walmart. Oh! A baby bear! Baby bears are dangerous; I know that much. But it looks like Winnie the Pooh. (NOTE: I am not making this up.) I'll just pet him for a bit. Oh! Look at the plot twist that is so obvious a dead man would have foreseen it: an angry bear mother. Whatever will I do?

CALEB: Hi. I'm a literal savior riding a literal horse. Sadly, though, I am not the Old Spice guy.

EVE: Er, how do you feed and shoe and nurture a horse in a dystopia?

CALEB: Look, just get on so we can escape the bear.

EVE: 'K. Don't rape me, though.

CALEB: I'm not interested.

EVE: WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE NOT INTERESTED. "The plague had killed far more females than males. As one of the few women in The New America, especially an educated, civilized woman, I'd always supposed I was every man's type. [...] I was intelligent, I worked hard. I was told I was beautiful. I was Eve, the valedictorian of School." (NOTE: That is a direct quote in the context of Eve being offended at being told by Caleb that she's "not [his] type" immediately after she's been indoctrinated her whole life -- and been worried for the entirety of the book -- that all men are degenerate rapists.)

...and that was when I threw the book at the wall, because if Eve thinks that rape is a compliment, then she's officially too stupid to live. (Also, I'm pretty sure the book maintains this rape-is-a-compliment theme, since -- if I gather correctly -- the King of America will decide that Eve will be his own personal baby-maker, come heels or high water. BECAUSE SHE IS JUST THAT SPECIAL. Obviously.)

The one good thing I can say about "Eve" is that it demonstrates how not to write a YA dystopia. Eve has no discernible personality underneath her whiny naivete, and it occurs to me that one of the reasons why I love Katniss Everdeen so much is because she's a distinct person -- she's not a blank for me to sink into, but an actual character worth following in her own right. And in "The Handmaid's Tale" -- which "Eve" wants to be so much it hurts -- Offred's gaps in her personality was part of the point; society was doing its best to strip her self away and that was a tragedy, not something for an author to aspire to.

While I don't demand walls of text to explain world-building in my dystopias, I do require the setting to at least make sense. The hand-wave for why a tremendous amount of resources are sunk into the girls' education is quite ridiculous; the Latin and Russian lessons were supposed to keep them occupied so they wouldn't become suspicious (and would make them erudite protagonists, obviously). The fact that a HUGE number of years and resources are invested into these girls only to then keep them in unhygienic conditions that I *guarantee* would have them dead in a few years flat cannot be chalked up to the Bad Guys being evil and stupid; the system literally should have collapsed on itself before we even get to Eve.

And if it had, we all would have been spared a lot of bother.

NOTE: This review is based on a free Advance Review Copy of this book provided through Amazon Vine, and which I am required to review as a participant of the program.

~ Ana Mardoll
22 comments16 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2011
Eve is one of those books you secretly want to read, but end up debating with yourself after reading all those mixed reviews. But let me tell you: Eve was a pretty satisfying read.

Anna Carey's latest is action-packed, and full of suspense. Runaway fugitives usually have that effect. Though the main storyline was predictable, what happened along the way wasn't even close.

The story revolves around Eve, smart, well-behaved, and worth something to the king. She was orphaned at a very young age, due to the plague that wiped out most of the American population, including her mother. She is a very flawed character, making mistakes that cost so many lives. Maybe its due to the fact that she never left the School, she never had any idea of what life was like without the trust of her schoolmates and teachers. It was frustrating at times, but understandable in many.

Though the story lacked in its lasting emotions - the little nagging presence you sometimes feel long after you finish a novel - I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was most definitely flipping the pages in anticipation, eager to see what would happen next. I've read a few reviews that noted down the lack of world-building, and though I agree we don't learn much about the 'New America', I have a sense we'll learn a lot more in the installments to come - after all, this is the first in a trilogy.

So would I recommend this? Yes, I would. Anna Carey knows how to add suspense and action to every page.
0Comment19 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2013
Book: I was a little disappointed in this book. After Once, there were so many interesting storylines: Caleb's death, the marriage to Charles, Moss, the need for Eve to kill her father. Coming into Rise, I was licking my lips. Can't miss, right? But IMO, this a bit of a belly flop. Eve is a good character and the writing is decent, but the plot is too brain dead. One big example is that all of the foregoing storylines terminate a third of the way into the book as the author inserts an utterly pointless road journey back to Califia, only to have Eve immediately return to palace. What did we just do here? And then we have the army of the Colonies. First, they decide not to help and then they decide to help, and we really never understand what the frack is going on with this thing. It really smacks of deus ex machine...that is, I'm a lazy author. And then there's the ending. Talk about pulling a rabbit out of the hat. I began to suspect this was coming about halfway through, but I thought no way would the author jump off that implausible cliff. That would be story suicide. But there it is. Seppuku.

Trilogy: Eve was an awesome book--great character, great dystopia, romance--it really worked. Once wasn't quite as good, but still a solid, 4 star read IMO. Alas, Rise didn't appeal to me any where near as much. I was a little disappointed in the plot and I thought it dragged down the series a bit. But I would still recommend the trilogy. Overall, it is entertaining.
11 comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2013
Please know that I NEVER write bad reviews! I will highlight every good point in a book and, typically, veil any disappointment I have, knowing that everyone has different opinions... but I have to say something about the ending of the series. NO SPOILERS, I promise:
I so loved the first two books of the Eve series and even liked most of the last book. The last chapters or so were rushed, but it was the abrupt ending that absolutely ruined the entire series for me. I am so sad that the author ended it this way. It just came off as if she had a deadline and needed to rush the ending (or couldn't think of how to "voice" it). We, the readers, are left bereft of closure, kept from experiencing it, and have to be content with just the narrative that closure was going to happen.

Please read this series, as they are wonderful, overall, but just be prepared for the abrupt ending. I wish I would have been warned!
on April 13, 2014
Warning to all people thinking of purchasing Eve. This book is terrible. The main character is not only arrogant she's also SO INCREDIBLY SELFISH! (Sorry bout that, I literally just finished reading this "book" so the frustration is fresh.)

Let us start.

Eve takes place in a dystopian world where a plague has wiped out more than 90% of the United States' population (who knows what happened to the rest of the world SINCE YOU NEVER FIND OUT). Eve resides in the School, an educational compound where girls are taught various skills and told that once they graduate they will master a craft and live in the City of Sand, a massive new city which the King of the United States (uh... what?) has built. Eve wants to be an artist, God knows why, she doesn't show an ounce of creativity. Eve has never met a boy/man and has been taught that men are evil creatures who just want to use her body. After Eve finds out the horrible fate that actually awaits her, she flees into the wild (accompanied by a sidekick.... kinda) and meets a dirty boy named Caleb (her true love....). The two of them literally know each other for a week and fall in love. The whole love story (which much of the story revolves around) feels extremely fake and rushed. In fact the whole book feels fake and rushed! Another thing that annoys me is that even at the end of the book, one has no idea WHY anything is like it is; At the very end of the book (not a spoiler don't worry) the structure they are on is crumbling and wrecked, but why? It's not like THE DISEASE caused the buildings to fall apart? Oh this book and its stupidity....

SPOILERS BELOW (If you do not wish to be spoiled at all I shall warn you once again to not approach this book, thank you and goodbye)

From the very beginning the villain of this world it clear. The second Eve says that the King is the only man who can be trusted it is so very clear that the King is truly a man who should not be trusted. Oh dear. This isn't a good start.

I guess the fact that the girls are being used as "sows" was kinda sorta creepy, but at the same time it was extremely predictable. If most of the world's population has been wiped out what should we do? Repopulate of course. And who has that lovely task? Women. So really, the fact that the girls were being used as baby makers was not surprising at all. ESPECIALLY SINCE ARDEN TELLS EVE RIGHT BEFORE SHE SEES IT HERSELF. Like seriously, why did we have to know beforehand? The imagery in the description of the girls would have been much more compelling if the reader didn't know about it beforehand.

Arden.... Oh Arden. When Arden goes on that jeep HOW DOES NO ONE NOTICE. You would think that the soldiers in the jeep would be able to recognize their comrades, but nope! And Arden must be a ninja during the whole book she dodging bullets and various objects like a champ.

So anyways, Eve leaves the School and meets Caleb the Cave Man. (disclaimer: He's not actually a cave man) For a person who has never met a man and has been warned most of her life to avoid men like the plague (haha see what I did there?), Eve sure is trusting of Caleb. She's also able to get over her fear freakishly fast (it takes like a week) before she starts kissing him. Excuse me! How is that realistic in any way? Her love for him clearly is superficial as demonstrated in the scene where Leif comes in and tries to rape her and she doesn't realize it is Leif until she feels his hair (it was in a bun haha). Leif had even said her name when he came into her room! Leif is also bigger then Caleb and since Eve is in love with Caleb scent I hope she can tell the difference between Caleb and Leif's scents. Ah the strength of week old teenage love. Seriously, Eve should have seen it coming. She was hunkering down in a camp of hormonal teenage boys and she thought she wouldn't attract even a few of them. Oh dear.

Lets talk about my favorite character, Eve! Just kidding, I want to kill that girl. Eve is the STUPIDEST main character I have read in a while. Throughout the book I was getting tired of her "I'm such an intelligent, independent, and strong girl" show but any neutral feelings disappeared the second she used the radio to contact Caleb.

Are you kidding me. "I'm hiding out in a top secret location, what should I do? I know! Try to contact the boy I "love" and compromise everybody's safety! Well good job Eve, because you manage to get a sweet old couple killed. At that time I wanted the two pet mountain lions to come and eat Eve. I was ready to read that. Not only does she kill a sweet old couple she also kills Lark, a fellow escapee. Like dang, Eve. Ugh I am so done with this character. But to make me even more angry, the second Caleb shows up, Eve is all like "I'm happy because I have Caleb! GIRL YOU JUST CAUSED THE DEATHS OF SEVERAL PEOPLE YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO EVEN THINK YOU ARE HAPPY! REPENT YOUR SINS! Eve actually cannot function without Caleb which is actually so incredibly stupid.

Well thats my review.

DO NOT READ THIS BOOK.
on July 1, 2013
Such an anticipatory book, I'd been waiting for Rise to release for what felt like decades (but okay, it was only one year, let me have my moment!), when I went on vacation and my friend brought it with her. I took my opportunity to read the most disappointing series finale ever.

That's a harsh statement to make about a book and I 100% own it. But I have my reasons and they start with books one and two. I was slightly intrigued and yet indifferent with Eve, the first book in the series, but I saw the great potential this trilogy had and eagerly awaited for book two. Eve grew so much in book two, Once, that I just ended up loving the series, especially with the mega cliff-hanger ending of Once, where we find out she is not only a School refugee, but also the King's daughter - and then they marry her off to Charles! I had had a feeling she was royal, but it didn't make me love the plot set up for book three, Rise, any less. So I wanted to find out what happened next!

Rise had great potential, but I do think it fell flat, mostly with the ending, which I will try super-hard not to spoil for you, but discuss at the same time. You can beat me if I ruin it for you. I give you permission.

Rise is all about the rebellion, like any good dystopian should be. Rise up and stand for what is right and you believe in! But Eve spent more of her time worrying about her own self than she did about the others around her. (K, I'm probably being a little unfair here... she cared pretty hard about the girls in the Schools, so I'll give her a pass - sort of.) Jebus, Eve, what kind of heroine are you?! You are a fail!

~Charles

He really could have had more page time. He does a lot for Eve, and I really REALLY liked his character, but Charles gets almost no face time in the book. Especially when he does the thing where the thing happens and she's grateful and realizes he may not be all that bad. Like, DUH GIRL. He likes you!

~The Pregnancy

I thought this could have been explored exponentially more than it was. As it was, you find out she is pregnant, the king makes vague threats, nothing is really explained, and Charles is protective. What? Dude... What? And then other than mentioning she's pregnant - and priceless now - that's pretty much it. Oh plus waxing poetic about how she's carrying Caleb's kid and that's all she has left of him. I did sympathize there.

~Where Are the Regular Adults Having Babies?!

No seriously, where are all the other people in the City of Sand? Carey doesn't give any explanation throughout the entire series about the people that actually LIVE in the City of Sand and I didn't realize this until book three. This really bothers me. We know that girls are kept in Schools and then moved to hospitals for breeding. Boys are sent to labor camps, a lot of them working to restore the City of Sand (Vegas). But...but where are the older kids and adults that used to be kids? The plague was sixteen years ago, so some of those kids are alive right? This isn't the Wither series where they die off at twenty years old and therefore need to procreate quickly. So...WHERE ARE THE ADULTS THAT ARE CAPABLE OF HAVING CHILDREN? This might be my biggest gripe with the book. Wait, no...

~The Ending

WHAT. THE. ___.

What kind of ending was that? I actually thought there were pages missing out of my friend's library book, but alas, nope, it was pretty much brand new and in impeccable condition. The ending just stops, and I've complained about this in books before, but never have I seen it so abrupt as it is in Rise. The ending could have been a fine ending to a chapter, or followed with a epilogue, something, anything that gives me more detail and insight into what happens after or what's going on in Eve's mind. But nope, this story was like riding in a jolty jalopy where the transmission falls out and you haven't quite reached your destination. Story = ruined.

~Redeemable Qualities

I've had some time to reflect and I still like Anna Carey's writing style. It's very pretty and fluid and it's easy to get lost in her words (generally).

I also felt that Clara was a kick-ass character and very strong to a lot of Eve's weakness. And Eve had tendencies to be very weak. I'm not giving her flak for that, not really, because no one is perfect, I guess I just would have liked to have seen things executed a little better.

~Overall

Not the book I thought it was going to be. Rise is getting pretty great reviews. You may like it even though I didn't. YMMV.