Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now DOTD

on May 19, 2010
This book tries to break down statistics into an understandable format, but I learn best by doing. While the book has sample problems for you to work out, the answers do not come with explanations, so if you didn't get it right the first time, you have no idea where you went wrong.
on April 19, 2012
I downloaded this for free in the Kindle edition as I was interested in (re)learning some statistics.

The first thing I noticed was the book is horribly formatted. A number of places the embedded formatting commands are displayed. There are chapter numbers and paragraph numbers, but the way different levels of headings are formatted don't make it real obvious what level one is at. A lot of key words are capitalized and bolded in a font that makes them stand out more than the section headings that are smaller and lower case. Overall, the way the book is formatted makes it hard for me to follow.

I went back to it several times hoping for something out of it that would be helpful to me, but it was not to be. I think the formatting issues are almost insurmountable for me. It made the content all but impossible for me to deal with.

It seems like a good idea that maybe a decent editor could reformat and make more usable, but in its current form I am not going to spend any more time on it.
on March 9, 2013
I had to buy this book for a class. It is just not well written. I am three chapters in and have found multiple formula errors. It makes studying more difficult when the example that is supposed to explain a concept is referring to another concept or doesn't work out mathematically. I use this to find out what the teacher wants for the assignments and I use another book to clarify the concepts this one is trying to explain.
on December 18, 2011
The book is factual and if you can wade through it, useful. The writing has a social/political attitude, which is slightly annoying. But the problem with the book is that it starts by giving about 20 words for which you must memorize the definitions assigned to them within this specific profession or discipline, which is not the common English definition. A good editor who also knows how to write could turn this into a real gem by starting with examples and pivoting off those to an explanation of what the various elements are and how they affect each other. But I admire and respect anyone who can write a book and I applaud the author.
on November 9, 2010
I took two statistics courses in college and wanted a refresher. I thought the way things were explained in this book were terrible and if I didn't have previous experience with statistics I would have had no idea what was going on. This book made me afraid of statistics.
0Comment10 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2013
this book was not very helpful for me in my statistics class. I would not recommend this book to someone who is not math savvy or hasn't had math since high school.
on July 16, 2014
Viewed: 7/14
Rate: 4

7/14: Already familiar with the ins and outs of statistics routinely taught in universities, I gave Even You Can Learn Statistics a cursory look on a plane ride since I got the pdf file for free. I think it is not bad at all; the definitions are clearly laid out and filled with conceptual discussions. The formulas are given out in an organized format. In so many ways, Even You Can Learn Statistics feels more like a Cliffs Review than a full workbook. It does have a nice review at the end of chapters with very relevant questions. So, I recommend the book for those who are already familiar with it. The others who are not should be directed to The Humongous Book of Statistics Problems or Schaum's Outline of Beginning Statistics, Second Edition (Schaum's Outline Series). All in all, Even You Can Learn Statistics does the job well, and it looks perfectly acceptable to me.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2013
Let's just say it's been awhile since I've taken Statistics in college.

Yet, I often use stats (descriptive) at work. In fact, I was recently thrusted into an analytical role at my job. Therefore, I desperately need a Stats primer. Enter "Even You Can Learn Statistics." The authors do a fantastic job weaving all aspects of descriptive and inferential stats in less than 300 pages. Furthermore, the book is chockfull of examples and definitions. The authors explain how to work each problem longhand, calculator, and via a spreadsheet.
Indeed, there's a lot of info to digest, but the authors slowly walk you through each steps (no drinking from a firehouse). Each chapter ends with a summary and quiz (to test your knowledge).

As Big Data becomes more prevalent, statistics—especially the inferential kind—will become a required skill. Buy the book. If nothing else, you'll become a quant by default. #stayrelevant
on June 10, 2013
I thought I was doing well until I came to the self-test at the end of Chapter One. About half of the questions dealt with definitions. "Hmmm," I thought. "Maybe I just wasn't paying attention." So I went back and re-read the chapter, to find that the section dealing with definitions: continuous variable, categorical variable, etc - was completely missing.

This was a free Kindle download. "You get what you pay for" is a familiar adage, and, even though I've gotten many free Kindle books that I've loved, this will teach me to check the reviews carefully first. What a waste of time.
on December 10, 2012
It gives a layman a little understanding of statistics. Very well written for lay person who knows nothing about statistics. I enjoy reading it and now know something what my college professor was trying to pound in my head 40+ years ago.