4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Gate
Published on December 10, 2011 by D. Hamman

2.0 out of 5 stars There's a reason why it's 1/2 the price...
Published 22 months ago by Sarcasmo

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Gate, December 10, 2011
D. Hamman (WAVERLY, KS, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood, Xtra Tall (Baby Product)
This gate works alright. It is a little hard to walk through because you have to unlatch the gate, then slide it over slightly, then swing it out of the way. This would be alright, but it is sometimes hard to slide the gate, depending on the width it is set at (it will sometimes get stuck while sliding over). Also, if you were thinking about staining this gate to match your decor (like I did), I thought I would let you know that the hardware is riveted on from the factory. This means you will have to try to stain around (and under) it. Overall, the gate is high quality, built solid, and looks nice installed. It isn't that bad to walk through once you get used to using it. I am just not sure if I would put it in any high traffic areas you will be walking though often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to install, great for pets as well as kids, January 25, 2012
Will Bailey (MA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood, Xtra Tall (Baby Product)
This is a solid gate that looks good installed, much better than a plastic one. And as long as the kid - or the pet - doesn't repeatedly throw a shoulder into it, it will hold up well. Also make sure the mounting points are solid, not just sheetrock.

I was nervous this would be difficult to install. I was relieved to find the paper template that was easy to tape to the wall that showed exactly where to drill the holes for the upper hinge-plate in relation to the lower template (each set of marks at either end of the long strip of paper). After that it was easy to install the anchor plates following the directions provided.

I would suggest that you tilt the paper template just slightly so the gate is at a barely perceivable angle so it swings open and stays open when not latched.

2.0 out of 5 stars There's a reason why it's 1/2 the price..., September 30, 2012
Sarcasmo (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood, Xtra Tall (Baby Product)
I had previously bought two gates fulfilled from Amazon (Evenflo Top of Stair Plus Gate). I did this, despite the price differential, because of the free returns. I LOVE THESE GATES. Yes, there are issues with baseboard installations, but I built spacers out of 1x4 for the top hardware mounts in one of the installation location and it has worked like a champ. So I disagree with those who say that you can't use it with baseboards.

The kid is walking, so we need a couple of more gates. We bought a very nice gate (Munchkin Easy-Close Extra Tall and Wide Metal Gate, Dark Grey) (that we use without the extensions... with it can be a little wobbly) but not wanting to stomach the cost and needing a gate that is mounted off the ground so that our cat can squeeze under we decided to get another one of these gates. This time around, not worried about hassling with a different company's return policy because I knew I was going to keep it, I went with the cheaper option.

They are not the same product. The finish on the wood isn't as smooth, and as a result (in addition to other possible manufacturing quality lapses) the gate doesn't slide as well. And by not slide as well I mean that sometimes one-handed operation is out of the question. Instead of sashaying on through the gate, you have to stop and argue with the gate to get it open.

The gate might wear in. We ended up swapping it out with one of the older ones, and moved it to a location that doesn't require the gate to slide.

I offer that if you're looking to save around $20 (after shipping costs are added in) and the lower quality is not that important, then go with this gate. If you want the gate the reviews are raving about, get the other one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tricky installation, but good gate, September 12, 2012
This review is from: Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood, Xtra Tall (Baby Product)
I am generally happy with this gate. It is attractive and sturdy. My one year old runs at it full steam, and the gate handles it well. The locking mechanism can be a bit tricky to open and close until you get the hang of it, but once unlocked, it slides smoothly and swings completely out of the way so you have a nice, wide opening to walk through. We did have some difficulty with the installation because the baseboards at the top of our stairs are 4" tall, and this gate must be installed between 2" and 3" off the ground for safety reasons. To resolve this issue we used two small pieces of wood as spacers and then installed a board parallel to the wall, over the baseboard (we had to do this on both sides of the gate). It's a little difficult to explain, so I've put some pictures in the gallery to illustrate. With this fix, the gate works perfectly and is very secure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, September 16, 2011
Cathy (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood, Xtra Tall (Baby Product)
Pluses: Affordable, fits anywhere you need it to fit, and durable (6 months with twins and no problems at all)

Minuses: Installation can be a bit frustrating if you want the gate to be level, and you MUST install it in a secure anchor, like a wall stud. My husband had to make some minor modifications parts of our house in order to make sure this was properly, and safely, installed.

If you don't mind the small hassles with getting it in place, it's a great gate for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars screw broke while installing, stuck into stair rail and we needed that EXACT!, August 4, 2012
This review is from: Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood, Xtra Tall (Baby Product)
My husband is a pro at installing and building things, and this gate comes with the CHEAPEST hardware possible! NEVER have we had a screw head break off while the rest of it was stuck right in exact place we needed to install this gate. Worse, it is in a wooden stair post, not dry wall, so much harder to repair. Luckily my husband knew how to remedy the situation but it did make the whole process much more frustrating!

EVENFLO! Spend a few extra pennies on decent hardware please! I am writing them a strongly worded letter.

Otherwise, for you what you pay it is sturdy and smooth. We ended up using our OWN hardware.

PROS:
For the $$ sturdy and smooth

CONS:
CHEAP TERRIBLE hardware

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop looking and buy this gate for your stairs!!, February 23, 2014
This review is from: Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood, Xtra Tall (Baby Product)
This gate is amazing! We have it at the top and bottom of our stairs. It's absolutely everything I wanted, and I debated for weeks on what to get. It was easy to install, it's extra tall which makes me feel better since we have a very narrow steep staircase and a tall girl! She is only 1 but I don't anticipate her being able to open the gate and it's extremely sturdy. It's easy to open and shut and also easy to remove off the hinges if you are having guests and don't want the gate up. Some other reviews have complained about the raw wood look, but I think it's great, our stairs however are at the back of the house so people don't immediately see it when they come over. Bottom line, this gate will prevent your child from tumbling down the stairs, I was overly worried about having the perfect gate and was prepared to spend whatever it cost to babyproof my home, I picked this because it was one of the few that would fit a narrow staircase (ours is a tight 32") yet was still extra tall and didn't have a foot bar to step over (big plus since I am really clumsy). Just buy this and don't look back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product minus the screws, February 26, 2012
This review is from: Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood, Xtra Tall (Baby Product)
The is a wonderful gate! I highly recommend it. It is so easy to open and close. We followed the advise of another reviewer that said to set the the top just slightly off-center in the direction you want the gate to swing open. That way when you leave it open it stays out of the way for easy going up and down the stairs (for laundry or whatever).

The only thing I will say is don't even waste your time with the crappy screws the gate comes with. They strip and break at nothing, it's like they are made of aluminum foil or something. We figured this out the hard way, and found that 2 1/2 inch wood screws or sheet rock screws are much better and more sturdy. Now it works like a charm.

If we wouldn't have wasted our time with the screws we would have had the thing set up in 5 minutes.

Great buy. Plus you can paint it whatever color you want for some flair or to match your banister if you want. It looks fine the way it is, but if you wanted to paint it you wouldn't need to sand it or anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Purchase, December 13, 2011
This review is from: Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood, Xtra Tall (Baby Product)
Love the option of removing the gate when the kids aren't visiting. Easy installation. Easy to use. Good quality. Good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gates, September 28, 2011
This review is from: Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood, Xtra Tall (Baby Product)
Only had them for a few days. Easy to install, A lil heads up: install the bottom piece of the side with the latch first. So for the price they are great. I have one in my kitchen walkway which is wide and one on the top of my stairs. Love them, wish i had got them sooner. By the way they said it would take 6 to 8 weeks but I got them in less than two weeks. I paid 33 bucks but they do have the same ones on here for i think 40 plus shipping.

Evenflo Top-of-Stair Gate, Wood, Xtra Tall