5.0 out of 5 stars Mattel + Hale = Amazing
Okay, now before I start, let me say, I have read all of Shannon Hale's other YA books and Goose Girl and Rapunzel's Revenge will always hold a special place in my heart. Admitting that, along with the fact I am a major Ever After High fan, I will now commence with my review.

Published 16 months ago by Indiancoolaide

3.0 out of 5 stars Character Development: Book vs Promotional Material
Published 15 months ago by born2read

5.0 out of 5 stars Mattel + Hale = Amazing, October 8, 2013

The book is centered around Apple White and Raven Queen, two students in Ever After High. For those of you not familiar with Ever After High, it is a high school where the sons and daughters of fairy tale characters go. On their second year, every student must pledge to follow in their parent's footsteps. If a student doesn't take the pledge, then the story they are in and they themselves will cease to exist. Apple White is the perfect future queen, caring, smart, beautiful and kind. Her only perceivable flaw is the fact she is blonde (so the book says, multiple times). She is ready to take on her destiny as queen. Raven, on the other hand, is the daughter of the evil queen. All her life, people have been telling her to be evil, and expected her to be a horrible person. Raven wants to be able to change her fate.

Raven and Apple are going into their second year at Ever After High, the year when they take the pledge. They are rooming together, and are very different people. Raven wants to choose her own fate, and Apple is trying to make sure that Raven stays on her path, so that the story will continue to exist and her own story will end happily ever after. The relationship between them is very Wicked Galinda-Elphaba. Neither really understands the other at first, but the gradually become friends, despite the fact that Raven will someday have to poison Apple. Awkward much?

I really didn't like Apple. Although she is just a pawn, she is very self-centered. When Raven confides in Apple, telling her how she wonders why everyone can't look past who her mother is and just be her friend, Apple thinks, "You are supposed to be evil, Raven. It's not wrong for people to see in you your true nature" (Hale). Fine, she is "supposed" to be evil, but being told you are evil doesn't make exclusion hurt any less. Apple has been adored her whole life, she really has no right to judge Raven, even if it is just silently.

Saying that, there are some characters and parts of the story I adore! Maddie is my favorite character, followed by Raven. Cedar Wood and Cerise Hood are pretty cool to. And Dex, OMG, he and Raven are so cute together! I love how Maddie Hatter can communicate with the narrator, because she is mad herself, it makes the story seem almost second person perspective, the reader is so involved. I love how everyone is not how they first appear. Again, it's very much like Wicked. Everyone expects Raven to be bad, but really, it could be argued her cause is much more noble than Apple's. This book is chock-full of magic and plot twists, very Wicked meets Harry Potter meets Gossip Girl.

I don't want to give to much away, so let me end with this. When buying the book, I would have liked to know more about when it ends. The descriptions were kinda vague about that, just going up to legacy day, which, in all fairness, is the climax of the story. Also, I would love to get inside the faculty's mind, to see what people other than the students and the narrator are thinking.

Would I read this book again?

Would I recommend it to a friend?

Would I like to know more about some other characters and their motivations?

Would I change the story?

Overall, I really loved this book, the plot was really intricate, if a bit predictable and the writing and characterization were phenomenal! I am even bigger fan of Ever After High now, and I am anxiously awaiting the sequel! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than Monster High, January 15, 2014
This review is from: Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends (Hardcover)
My 6 year old likes Monster High but I haven't shown her the videos or read the books because I think there not appropriate for her age (even though all the 1st grade and kindergarten girls are crazy over them). When I heard about this new spin off I decided to get her the book and dolls for Christmas. She loves them. She wanted me to read the book all the time and we finished it in a week. Now a week or so after finishing it we've started it again. She can't wait for the next book to come out.

What I like is that the topics are still about being yourself but there's very little boyfriends, gossip, and popularity. It's more about making your own choices and being who you are, mixed with fairytale fantasy. She also likes that the girls are modernized.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebels for Lyfe!!!!, October 8, 2013
ATTENTION EVER AFTER HIGH FANS! The novelization is finally released! I just finished reading the whole thing and it is AWESOME!!! It's more adventury and mature than the slice-of-life web series. The plot is so exciting and the ending is absolutely epic! It's not quite as funny as the webisodes, but it definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat. This book really explores the back stories and motivations of the characters in a deeper way, and HURRY UP AND READ IT! Any fan of the animated videos should definitely read this, and anyone who hasn't seen the show should read it too, as it stands on it's own two feet. SO GOOD! Can't wait for the sequel! REWRITE! IGNITE! RESTART! REBELS 4 LYFE!!!! By the way, this isn't just entertaining for kids. I'm a 24 year old male geek and I loved every second of this story and the web episodes!

3.0 out of 5 stars Character Development: Book vs Promotional Material, October 14, 2013
The Ever After High franchise is quite extensive. It contains dolls - each coming with a diary, the character's profile, and an in-package quote; a web series - with the first webisode appeared on Youtube on May 30, 2013; and several books by Shannon Hale (I'm counting the free Kindle releases as individual books). Plus, even more supplementary material on the official website.
For the most part, character portrayal is pretty consistent across the board. There are however a couple of characters that stuck out to me as being represented very differently in book then in rest of the EAH universe.

>>> MAJOR spoilers ahead.

The most noticeable change to me was in Baba Yaga's depiction. She's a faculty advisor at EAH and in the webisodes is shown to be a sweet-looking elderly lady who is firm to her students but flinches at glare from Headmaster Grimm. In Raven's doll dairy she is somewhat stern but still compassionate towards Raven, kindly granting her request to join Muse-ic Class - a course outside her core curriculum. On the official website, the backstory of a game level has her helpfully informing Raven about trilogy of books that would help her learn "good" magic.
In the book, she's a faculty advisor at EAH who has cockroaches crawling in her hair, sprays her charges with a squirt bottle like they were cats, and even once tells Raven to be grateful she doesn't turn her into a worm and feed her to a newt. She also scares the Headmaster with one of her high-pitched crackling laughs.
It's a complete 360 in her characterization, but I kinda like this cranky, witchier version of Baba Yaga in the book. I think the tougher incarnation suites her mythology better too.

A more minor difference shows up in the portrayal of one of the franchise's main leads, Apple White. Now, Apple White walks the fine line between Spoiled Sweet and Spoiled Brat so mostly it depends on your interpretation if you like her or not. I'm not her biggest fan but I can sympathize with her at times.
Anyways, what varies is the depiction of her relationship with Daring Charming.
In the webisodes Apple states that she and Charming are not dating and that they've forever after to be together. They seem to be amicable associates and are shown hanging out together on more then one occasion. Her doll dairy and profile further emphasize that she is NOT dating Daring Charming. In fact, she is even somewhat annoyed that people keep assuming that they are in a relationship. Aside from one offhand remark about their destiny together being secure and not dating exclusively, the book doesn't contain any of Apple's frustrations about the impending happily ever after.
At least that was *my* understanding of the situation. As I said before, Apple's character leaves a lot open to interpretation. It could also be that subject will be clarified in the next book or some future webisode.

>>> spoiler ends

There's also other nitpicky little things in the book which didn't exactly line up with my expectations and there are several key plot points that have been revealed in web series did not come up in the book. On the other hand, the book helped to clarify some things and fill in the gaps between webisodes.
Overall, it was an okay read. I'd recommend reading this *only* if you've already watched the web series. The progression of the book alone might disappoint the reader otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever !, June 12, 2014
This review is from: Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends (Hardcover)
I am nine years old, this book is really fun to read for 7-12 years old .
When I read this book I fought emotions that you naturally don't feel like : darkness , loneliness , madness and a happily ever after !
you should really read this book !
It took me to imaginary places that you can't imagine !
but this book doesn't have drawings , but it's better like that so you can imagine how the characters look like .

You should really get this book !

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, October 22, 2013
This review is from: Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends (Hardcover)
I am a big fan of YA fiction and have loved some of Shannon Hale's other books. As an adult, this one is a real disappointment, though. It really is geared for 8-11 year olds, but that is not a good reason for lack of plot details. In fact it should be all the more reason for clearer details. The story is missing a lot of great information - like.... how in the world did the Evil Queen end up marrying someone so kind? The school year seems like it is only four weeks long - wierd. There is one mention almost at the end of the book of third and forth year students. Again - weird - it is just a random passing comment. What is there to do after your destiny as been declared? The ending is so vague - great if there is a sequel - but draw is into it. Don't make it so empty and confusing that we walk away saying nevermind. There was so much potential with the subject of choice and the courage to choose one's own destiny, but it fell short. I had such great expectations for a fun little , light read. Instead, I wish I could just return the book.

I will say, in favor of the book, this is a clean read and probably could be fun for an 8 year old at a higher reading level. Maddie and Raven are my favorite characters. Maddie really helps keep the book happy and fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for young girls, January 12, 2014
I read this book just to see what is out there for my daughter to read when she gets a little older. This series is cute, especially for a young girl that has grown up reading fairytales. The link between the newest generation of characters and their parents is a fun premise. I think there are enough modern details to keep a young girl interested, and I liked that the main character is a strong young female. A fun read for young girls, and I will encourage my daughter to try them when she is a little older!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Fantastic and Incredibly Adorable, August 14, 2014
This review is from: Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends (Hardcover)

I first found this book by watching the webisodes that Autumn @ Kitty Cat Reads recommended me to watch. These are absolutely adorable and are created by the same people that created Monster High! It is just too much cute to handle and I knew I just needed more story and I was completely satisfied with the first book in the series of Ever After High, The Storybook of Legends by Shannon Hale!

The stories of Ever After High revolves around the lives of fairy tale characters children. The main characters are Apple White, daughter of Snow White and Raven Queen, daughter of the Evil Queen. The children of fairy tale characters head off the Ever After High to learn how to prepare to follow in the footsteps of their parents.

This was an absolutely adorable middle grade fantasy (fairy tale retelling) The characters were so dynamic and entertaining. All with their own quirks and similarities with their parents. The language used was fantastic and really gave a youthful vibe that fit perfectly in the world, which was absolutely hexellent! There was adventure and drama and some great messages about being yourself, accepting who you are and making your own decisions to follow your own path!

I was able to finish this in one day and just could not put it down. I got so engrossed in the world and fell absolutely in love with all the characters! It is a fast paced enjoyable read that had me laughing and wanting more. I immediately picked up the second book in the series because I just could not get enough of this world and characters!

Overall if you are looking for a fast, highly enjoyable and super adorable (and precious and cute all all other words that convey the deep love I had for this book! ) read that focuses on stories we are all familiar with from our childhood this is definitely a book for you. Also I highly recommend watching the webisodes because they are just perfect (and different from the book in ways that give you more stories and the background to more characters!)

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5, I'm sucked into Matel's merchandising scheme, June 9, 2014
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

Okay, call me clueless, but I when I picked up Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends I had no idea it was a tie-in to a line of popular dolls, diaries and YouTube Webisodes produced by Mattel. All I knew was that it was a children’s story written by Shannon Hale and I happen to really like Shannon Hale’s children’s stories. I soon found out the truth and was disgruntled that I was sucked into Mattel’s merchandising scheme, but I must admit that Mattel made a brilliant move by asking a Newbery Award winning author to write their stories. Shannon Hale soon appeased me. The Storybook of Legends is a cute little tale with endearing characters that are sure to go over well with the target audience. Thinking about it from a mother’s perspective, I’d rather my girls play with fairytale character dolls than Barbies. At least they’re learning real literature!

Ever After High is a boarding school for the children of famous fairtytale characters. Here they are taught by Headmaster Grimm and, at the end of their education, on Legacy Day, they sign the Storybook of Legends. This seals their fate — they will become the new version of their famous parent. Each new generation of students must sign the Storybook. If they don’t, their story dies and will no longer be told. Which means that, essentially, the character dies, too.

Raven, daughter of the Evil Queen, doesn’t want to sign the Storybook of Legends. She doesn’t want to poison her friend with an apple. (Awkward!) She doesn’t want to be evil. That’s really sweet, but Raven’s classmates at Ever After High who are expecting a “Happily Ever After,” don’t want Raven to shirk her wicked duties. If Raven doesn’t play along, she changes the story for everyone. Then there might not be a happily ever after for her friends. Is there some other solution? Or must Raven be resigned to fulfill her evil legacy?

The Storybook of Legends is full of fun quirky characters. There’s Apple White (daughter of Snow White), Madeline Hatter (daughter of the Mad Hatter), Briar Beauty (daughter of Sleeping Beauty), Cerise Hood (daughter of Little Red Riding Hood), Pinocchio’s daughter, Prince Charming’s sons, Baba Yaga, the Gingerbread Man (he’s the gym coach — run, run as fast as you can!), Humpty Dumpty (a hacker) various hunters, huntresses and woodsmen, etc. They each have their own personalities which aren’t necessarily like their parents, so while they are recognizable, they’re new creations. The only noticeable bow to the merchandising effort is that Hale briefly describes what each character is wearing in different scenes and, while I understood that I could purchase these outfits and accessories along with the dolls, I didn’t think their descriptions were more excessive than I’d expect in a fashion-conscious YA novel. Shannon Hale handles this well.

Raven’s story is funny in a silly sort of way. For example, Madeline Hatter can hear and interact with the narrator, who gets flustered when that happens. (This works particularly well with the audio version I listened to.) There are some awful puns but some genuinely amusing humor, too:

“Ah, your class schedule. May I?…. Hmmm…. it all looks hexcellent, except for this Muse-ic Class. That’s really only for Happily-Ever-After princesses to help them develop their signature power ballads.”

The story feels modern. The kids send each other hext messages on MirrorPhones and drive in hybrid carriages. There are cute pop culture references, too:

“Sparrow Hood was using the empty room for his band’s practice session. They weren’t great, but hey, it was music. Sparrow, in a green felt cap just like the one his dad, Robin, had made famous, was rocking out as the lead. The Merry Men backed him up on guitars, bass, drums, and one enthusiastic cowbell.”

I’ve highlighted some of the silliness, but I should emphasize that Shannon Hale uses a light hand with this — I didn’t think it was overdone.

More than anything, The Storybook of Legends feels like a Disney movie, which seems completely appropriate for a story about fairytales. Sweet oddball characters who have a serious predicament and manage to solve it in a way that’s entertaining and funny but also wholesome and inspirational, too. There should be a power ballad at the end.

There are at least two sequels to The Storybook of Legends: The Unfairest of Them All and A Wonderlandiful World, plus several free short stories in ebook format. I listened to the audio version of The Storybook of Legends which was produced Hachette Audio and narrated by Kathleen McInerney who has a lovely voice and perfect pacing and inflection. I recommend this version, especially for readers who may find the little spelling puns (e.g., “Muse-ic”) to be annoying. You won’t notice them in the audio version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastical read, May 18, 2014
Brittany Perez (Oh My Bookness)
May 19, 2014

The Story Book Legends; Ever After High', written by Shannon Hale and copyrighted by Little Brown Books for Young Readers, 9.8.2013 edition (Oct.8,2013). has a different type of origins then most, because not all follow with mini webisodes for individual characters, dolls, miniature background story that comes with each of the dolls...wait it's like The American Girl dolls but with fairy tale characters.

When I first picked up the Storybook legends, with special thanks to my sister for pointing it out or I would of overlooked it, I did not realize The Ever After High Series had a complete franchise entwined around it, brought to you respectfully by *Mattel*. To my own surprise they had dolls,webisodes, and more. Without a previous knowledge of these things, it did not change when I found out, this book was just hard to put down.

*The Story Book Legends; Ever After High* is about an enchanting boarding school for the children of fairytale legends such as *Snow White,The MADD Hatter,Prince Charming,Pinnochio, Sleeping Beauty,The Evil Queen, and many more!* Also you get to meet Headmaster Grimm (Yes like in Grimms Fairytales), that Grimm.

The fairytale children are preparing for a thing called Legacy Day, a day when they sign the Legacy Book to fulfill their destiny. A destiny that entails following in their fairytale parents footsteps to keep the Fairytales from seizing to exist, possibly even themselves.

For generations each each Fairytale character has signed the book of Legacies......For Raven she dos not want to follow in her mothers footsteps and be evil, she is nice and does not like hurting people or any living things. The problem is Raven does not know what would happen if she signed....will she end up unbelievably evil destroying everything in its path....and what if she doesn't, *will she destroy everything in her path....

For generations each fairytale character has signed the book of Legacies....but what will be the outcome and her fairytale counter part Apple who is destined to eat poisoned apple just like her mother Snow White....

This is a wonderful book, bringing all your favorite fairytale characters together with a twist, following these Fairytale characters royalty and not so on a magical adventure. A magical adventure you'll just find impossible to put down.

Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends
Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends by Shannon Hale (Hardcover - October 8, 2013)
$14.99 $11.77