5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, Gripping, and Inspiring
Published on November 26, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars sob story
This is one of the most annoying fiction books I've every read. The main character is portrayed as a logical idiot if that's even possible. The main relationship in the story revolves around a teenagerish puppy love with stupidity involved in every step. For five dollars, this book is a rip off. The only reason I continued to read is because I would have wasted my money...
Published on February 1, 2012 by ken

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, Gripping, and Inspiring, November 26, 2011
This review is from: Everburn (Paperback)
Bunch's new book presents us with an exciting universe where more is happening than we realize. An epic struggle of good versus evil comes alive through the curiosity and courage of the main character, Ponce. As he develops new relationships and old ones change, the reader is captivated by what will be revealed next. The story unfolds through the lives of these rich, multi-dimensional, and complex characters to lead us to encounter the unexplained mysteries of Arkis and its surrounding cities. The mythology is well-developed and suspense carries the reader all the way to the climactic and intense ending. This is a well-written, provocative, and engaging book which fans of any kind of fiction will enjoy. For those who like Harry Potter Paperback Box Set (Books 1-7), J.R.R. Tolkien Boxed Set (The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings), Lost: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray], or the The Chronicles of Narnia 7 Book Box Set, they will especially be satisfied by Everburn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, February 12, 2012
BunGirl (Aubrey, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everburn (Kindle Edition)
This entire story, beginning to end, captured and held my imagination in a way that very few books ever have. It had a bit of a Narnian feel to it, but I would not recommend it for children. The themes of good vs evil, faith, and forgiveness were magnificently woven into an intricate and detailed world that could have easily been overwhelming, but somehow was not. I look forward to reading more from this author. In the meanwhile I'm sure I will be enjoying this one again, and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everburn: A Fantasy to Remember, January 5, 2013
This review is from: Everburn (Paperback)
As a free book of the day quite a while back, the description and cover of this book intrigued me months before I ever began reading. I can't say I read much fiction at all, but I resolved to read this book and end my speculation.

Everburn is an incredible fantasy novel that does a great job of laying out the classic story of good versus evil without being cliche at all. For a fantasy novel, it sure leaves you wondering, "What is going on?!", more so than not throughout the story and for me that's not a bad thing. Since this is the first novel in the "Ever" series, clouding much of the lore and revealing it only as needed only built up suspense and had a sense of reward to it as you learned. I would say this novel presents a great amount of mystery, and even much more than halfway through the book this stays since revealing the backstory only leaves more questions at times. In this sense, Everburn may not be for people who don't like an underlying element of mystery, but it's hard to pass this fantasy novel up with the adventure it takes you on.

As far as fantasy goes, Robert Bunch creates new creatures rather than reusing some age old ones that fill fantasy novels of the day. The medieval atmosphere and world that is layed out before you is incredible, and the main character Ponce is very easy to like and empathize with. With out giving much of the plot away, since nearly any part may confuse someone who may read Everburn, just know that it has its many twists, turns, and memorable characters. Also, the sophisticated writing style of Robert Bunch and the third-person perspective suits the multiple views and characters that you meet within the story well.

I highly recommend reading Everburn if you even remotely like fantasy, or just like good books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Attached From the Beginning, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Everburn (Paperback)
This is a great, gripping story that you'll never want to put down. It was a great combination of Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Chronicles of Narnia. It takes you on a thrilling adventure across Lencia, with Ponce where you encounter mind reading Sirans, Firemares, and the incredible Solvo Vernula. As the Proditer are bent on killing Ponce and the world, Sotare makes him a Crucible of Sotare's fire. It's up to him to become the Everburn and transfer the life back to Calia. Throughout this tale, Ponce gains the help of a turned five hundred year old Slayer, a Healer who doesn't know her own power, and the love of a turned 50 year old Siran. Once you start you'll be attached from the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Without a doubt, worth reading again and again and again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, July 13, 2012
This review is from: Everburn (Kindle Edition)
I came across this book by accident, and soooooooo glad I did! This book has you relate and makes you think. If you liked reading Hinds Feet on High Places or Pilgrim's Promise, you will really enjoy this book as well. I am all ready looking forward to his next book. All I know is this summer....wish I knew when!!! I highly recommend reading this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy as a vehicle for the cosmic struggles we actually face, July 1, 2012
This review is from: Everburn (Kindle Edition)
"Everburn" reminds me of Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan and Pilgrim's Regress by CS Lewis. While most people in Arkis are content to go with the flow, satisfied to be led by current thought, Ponce and Oliver want to know the truth. Knowing the truth leads them on a journey that questions everything they "know" about the world. Like many who seek the truth, one of them gets distracted and his journey halts. The other finds another dimension to the world that explains the mysteries of life. In one of my favorite parts of "Everburn", Bunch does a masterful job in explaining the purpose behind pain and suffering in the chess game between Ponce and Sotare.

One of the great assets of fantasy (i.e. Lewis, Tolkien, Williams) is the ability to create a system that parallels the true world in many ways, yet as a vehicle can deviate just enough for the reader to ask "what if?" or "could it really be?" I found myself having many of these moments in reading "Everburn."

While a reader could approach this book solely as fantasy, "Everburn's" most valuable contribution is to describe the walk of faith and the sense of destiny and purpose in life that comes with a theocentric world view. One reviewer, looking for fantasy found the book to be the "most annoying book I ever read." But the reader who sees himself or herself facing the cosmic struggles that surrounds us daily, "Everburn" is intriguing and difficult to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great novel!, December 11, 2011
This review is from: Everburn (Paperback)
Everburn is a great book that encompasses adventure and fantasy in the fullest of senses. It grabs you in from the very beginning with its mysteries surrounding The Guardians and the tree in the center of the town that continues to burn but is never consumed. You always want to continue reading when you reach the end of a chapter to see what will happen to Ponce next, which has caused me some late nights. It is well worth adding to your collection. Cannot wait for another Robert Bunch book to be released in the (hopefully) near future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to put down!, January 27, 2012
This review is from: Everburn (Paperback)
Everburn is a fantasy novel that lays out an epic story-line written in an engaging style. Anytime I pick up a 500 page book, I have a deep-seated concern that finishing the book will require great effort and perseverance through long droughts within the book. I was happy to discover upon getting into it that it was in fact a very easy read and it took more effort on my part to put down the book than to finish it.

I'm honestly not sure the best way to review a novel, so I will try to break it down into a couple of sub-categories (arbitrarily selected by me) and evaluate each individually, while attempting to avoid spoilers.

Lore:
The world in Everburn does not overlap with the world we know; it has its own history, legends, and laws. As a whole the lore was very coherent, I didn't notice any glaring inconsistencies. The places were often described in vivid detail; it seemed I always had enough detail to create my own clear mental pictures but on the flip side I also was never overwhelmed by descriptive language. The history of the world was also fairly extensive, going back thousands of years and still tied in directly to the story. My only gripe on this front was that I really wanted there to be a map of all the places described in the book!

Characters:
The characters in the story were very interesting. Each had a story and a history and most had quite a bit of depth to them as well. I enjoyed watching a lot of the characters interact, change, grow, and develop relationships throughout their experiences. The part of the book I had mixed feelings about was the love story between two of the major characters. While it fit in very well with the plot and story, I felt that it took up more real estate (in paper) than necessary and felt more on the arbitrary side than genuine. As a whole however I still thought that the characters showed depth and character (ha) and I enjoyed this aspect as well.

Writing Style:
So I loved reading this book. I found the style to be sophisticated and yet very easy to read. There also were also some killer analogies and allegories. The book also uses discovering the history of the world as a plot device, so that by the time you actually read all the real background information you were dying to find out anyways. So I thought that was well-played since otherwise it could have been a chore. There are also good questions the book made you think about. They felt almost more theological in nature than philosophical, but the questions carried real emotional weight. Really well written in my opinion.

Story:
In the world of Everburn, there are clearly defined sides of good and evil. It follows the story of Ponce and his journey to discover what the world is like and ultimately his place and purpose in it. I can't really describe this aspect further without spoiling it, so I'll just say the story was an epic tale. And I liked it.

In summary, I highly recommend you give this book a try, especially if you enjoy fantasy novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing, March 1, 2012
This review is from: Everburn (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, it is important to note that if you don't enjoy metaphors then you will not like this book. However if, like me, you love metaphors and symbolism then this is the book for you. Frankly it is one of the best books that I have ever read, and I know that it will become a classic that I will return to again and again. The brilliant symbolism of the different cities and the opposing sides and the different choices was excellent. I especially liked the use of various ideas from different parts of literature. The indirect Robert Frost ideas, the Latin phrases (one of which I believe came from Cicero, though I'm not 100% sure), and the G.K. Chesterton Quotes and Ideas make this book truly unique.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of both worlds: addictively entertaining, but layered with depth!!, November 23, 2011
The Rev (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everburn (Paperback)
As someone who doesn't read alot of fiction, especially those in the fantasy genre, I loved this story from beginning to end! Literally, one page into it, I was completely lost in the world of Everburn, wanting to find out what happened next.

Here is why I liked the book. First, I loved the way that there are layered and overlapping plot lines going on within the story. Second, I found that the character development was rich and deeply textured. Every bit of information that I learned about each character increasingly contributed to the thickening climax, which is the epic story of good vs. evil and who will ultimately win. I also found that each character had a very human element to them so that I emotionally resonated with much of what the characters themselves were struggling through. Their stories made me reflect about my own relationship with my wife, my past with people that I don't particularly want to love or forgive, and finally, what it means to follow my convictions with relentless resolve to stay the course. In truth, albeit perhaps minimal in the grand scheme of things, the book tweaked the direction of my life, which says something significant I suppose to the books value as a work.

Throughout the story, there are pieces of the plot revealed in tantalizingly torturous ways (I found myself constantly saying, "give me more," but the author made me read on to find out all of the deeper and darker histories of the characters and how it was all going to end). As the very intricate plot unfolds, there are a number of important juxtapositions throughout the story that the author deconstructs in a very creative way: Good vs. Evil. Lust vs. Love. Forgiveness vs. Bitterness. Truth vs. Falsehood, and a number of other tangible expressions that humans face daily.

Overall, I think this book is an excellent work. ***Spoiler alert*** The author leaves the ending open, wanting me to read on but leaving me nothing more to read (which, by the way, he was consistent through the whole book at the end of every chapter). Hopefully there is more to come from this great new epic "series!"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›