4.0 out of 5 stars Good stand, previous review is right about weights
The previous review is absolultely correct about the weights. If you don't have weights on the legs the stand it will, in fact fly about your basement.

Published on June 6, 2005 by D. Meil

1.0 out of 5 stars It broke
Published on December 17, 2008 by Chad Cochenour

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stand, previous review is right about weights, June 6, 2005
This review is from: Everlast Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)

I'd also recommend a double-ended bag (i.e., with a D-ring on the bottom of the bag). It decreases bag-sway. I'm just using 2 bungee cords to tie it down to the stand but that seems to work out pretty well (instead of a proper Shock Cord). Very helpful for practicing kicks.

On top of the weights, I've also added 2 40-lb bags of water-softening salt on the front-legs for even more stability. There's nothing special about that kind of salt, I just happened to have them around. It looks a little Rube Goldberg, but for the price I'm willing to live with it.

The speed-bag stand is nice. Loud, but nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but buy some weights if you're a heavyweight.., March 23, 2005
A. Pendergast (Winston-Salem, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everlast Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
I ordered the 4790 heavy bag stand recently. I have limited boxing experience, but I'm not brand new to the sport. I'm a 215 pound heavyweight, and before I put weights on this stand to hold it down, I was bouncing it all over my basement with an 80 pound bag attached. Just add the weights and this is a great stand.

A REAL plus to this stand is that the legs are nice and wide, and don't protrude too far out. This allows for some great movement with the bag, and gives a good chance to work on footwork and body movement in your bag workouts.

You won't go wrong with this one, especially with free shipping!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Everlast Heavy Bag Stand, January 14, 2006
This review is from: Everlast Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
This Heavy Bag stand is a pretty good piece of equipment. The heavy bag part of it definitely requires add'l weight (hint: bags of sand are much cheaper than the amount of barbell plates you'll need to keep this thing from moving - I use 200 pounds of bags of sand to keep it in place. Also be sure you get a double end heavy bag too (i.e. one with a bottom D-ring), otherwise you'll get too much bag swing.

You can also put a true double end light bag on this portion of the unit, which is a nice change of pace from the heavy bag. (The light double end bag is the small inflatable that has two bungees holding it at about chest level and reverberates like mad when you hit it.)

The speed bag platform is a bit flimsy, especially on the earlier models where the "drum" or rebound board is two pieces (the latest versions of this model use a single piece drum). If you become moderately proficient at the speed bag in any amount of time you'll outgrow this aspect of the unit. Part of the problem is that the single vertical pole to which the speedbag drum attaches will flex when you get the bag moving really fast, and that can throw off your timing. Use the smallest size speed bag possible to minimize this inertia. Lastly, the speed bag platform doesn't really adjust high enough for people over 6'2" in height, and if you're over 6'1" or so you're going to need to use a small or xtra small speed bag to have it hang at the correct height (i.e. belly of bag at mouth/chin level).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Combo, July 12, 2006
This review is from: Everlast Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
It is a convient stand that allows both the training of the heavy bag and the speed bag necessary for improving one's boxing or martial arts skill.

It has limits regarding the mobility of working the heavy bag in a 360 degree radius, because of the platform and weights required to stablize the stand. If you have the space I suggest two sperate training locations of the speed bag and heavy bag. If not this product will serve its purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everlast Heavy bag stand, December 25, 2009
This review is from: Everlast Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
I had read mixed reviews on this item but decided to take the chance on it and purchased it 6 weeks ago. I am glad I did. The package arrived on time, well packaged and all of the parts there. The instructions were clear and easy to follow. Assembly went very quickly.
The main reason I purchased this is it is made with square tubing instead of round. This gives you a stronger stand than the cheap 'swing set' type pipe and the square tubing lays flat on the floor not just touching at one point as with the round pipe stands.
Also it has a wider 4-point weight footprint for more stability. The commonly found 3-pt footprint made for less stability on the backside, unless you limit your range of motion around the bag, which causes wobble even with weights and sandbags. Wider footprint does not mead less usable bag access. You are still able to use for punches and kicks covering about a range of 260 degrees of the unit. You will still need to use bags of sand to stabilize the unit as we have found no amateur stand that weights alone will hold down. But bags of sand are cheap at any Home Depot or Lowe's building center.
My grandson, 10, uses a 40 lb bag with double-ended tie downs for his TaeKwonDo practice. My son uses an 80 lb bag for his. The adjustment for the height is easily done for grandson using the speedbag. We have found this unit to be more functional than others we have had in the past (round pipes bent on 2 others within a month). We are well pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everlast Heavy Bag Stand, January 14, 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars It broke, December 17, 2008
This review is from: Everlast Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
I was originally happy with this stand, however after a few months of use the supports for the main arm both snapped while I was punching. While this did give me the unique opportunity of seeing the steel support bend wildly as the heavy bag continued to swing but I would recommend buying a different product perhaps from a different company as everything I have ever purchased (gloves, heavy bags, heavy bag stands, etc.) from Everlast has broken/fallen apart after a few months use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product and extremely cheap, September 26, 2007
This review is from: Everlast Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
I bought this because I didn't have access to any beams or strong points in the ceiling in my house to hold a heavy bag. And at $110 this got the job done. I have 100lb Heavy Bag on it and it holds good. I am a lightweight so my hits won't make the bag sway as much as a heavyweight. But when I hit work out with the bag, it doesn't sway to much, once I start to get into a flurry it will start to sway a lot, but I mean its going to no matter how its hooked up. And the stand is huge! Bigger than I thought, its wide enough to actually let you get some movement around it and hit it, not 360 degrees of course, but maybe somewhere near 120, which is better than nothing. I would recommend some weights on it though. It works fine without the weights, but the stand will shake a bit more, the weights can only help and really hold it down. This is a fantastic product, I would recommend this over any other Heavy Bag stand, its so much cheaper than most and it can do just what they do. But if you have the money and access to hook it up in your ceiling, do that of course.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, HOWEVER!, April 28, 2008
This review is from: Everlast Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
This item, once it finally all arrived to my house in one piece, is a good begginner stand and easily holds my 70 lb bag. My only issue was getting it to my house. I qualified for the free shipping, but they had to ship it 4 different times, the first time it was busted, the second the box was too busted it couldnt be delivered so it was shipped back, the third time it was "refused" and by the 4th time i got it ok. Amazon was very good about finding a solution and getting me what I need, however i wonder if they should offer something so heavy if it obviously has problems when it is shipped.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for practice, December 20, 2006
This review is from: Everlast Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
Add some extra weight to the bottom , if you're an extreme boxer. Otherwise with a 70 or 100lb bag, it's great.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›