4.0 out of 5 stars Easy set up, no issues after two months of daily use.
After reading the reviews here I was a little skeptical, but being "handy", I thought I could make this unit work. I was right.

Aside from the items in the packaging I used these additional items: A roll of electrical tape, a carabiner, a utility knife, stud finder, socket set, drill.

My bag is a 100 lb Everlast.

I did it like this:...
Published on March 5, 2010 by A. L. Blevins

3.0 out of 5 stars About the spinning ...
Yes, when you hit the bag it does spin (every heavy bag is going to spin unless you use a 4 point hanging system) and it will spin and eventually untighten the bolt at the top no matter how much you tighten it even with the locking washer in place. Period.

Published on October 30, 2009 by Todd Pravata

3.0 out of 5 stars About the spinning ..., October 30, 2009
This review is from: Everlast Wood Beam Heavy Bag Hanger (Sports)

Solution: Buy a locking nut (it has nylon at the top that locks it in place) and use two nuts (the supplied one and the locking one) plus the locking washer.

Details: The supplied nut goes on first but don't thread it all the way down to the bracket. Leave some space for the thing to spin freely. Next, put on the locking washer supplied. Next, put on the locking nut and tighten all 3 together leaving space for the assembly to spin.

This will never come loose on it's own if the nuts are tightened properly since the space left means that there is no friction with the bracket.

Thanks to those mentioning the issue with the threads on the cross bolt tearing through the hook. I'm going to find another bolt that works or add a sleeve to the supplied bolt.

This hanger is fine (sturdy) but only giving it 3 stars since the hardware they supplied is not that well thought out. They should have supplied a metal sleeve for the cross bolt and the additional locking nut.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy set up, no issues after two months of daily use., March 5, 2010
A. L. Blevins "Man of Action" (Melbourne, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everlast Wood Beam Heavy Bag Hanger (Sports)

My bag is a 100 lb Everlast.

I did it like this:

1. Use stud finder to locate a beam. Note: Stud finder kept going off when it touched my skin, but you may not have this problem.

2. Cut away small rectangle of drywall on ceiling the size of the device.

3. Use device to mark hole locations on beam, and pre-drill pilot holes into them to keep beam from splitting.

4. Per instructions, assemble two pieces of unit with center pin, leaving some play in the screw/bolt for movement.

5. Wrap horizontal screw in black electrical tape to keep bag chain from wearing out the screw. Put screw through assembly. Secure bolt.

6. Loop the carabiner through the top of the chain/strap that supports the bag. This allows for easy setup/tear down if needed.

7. Use a chair under your leg to balance the heavy bag on top of, clamp carabiner to horizontal screw.

DONE!

***UPDATE***

2013 and this thing is still going strong from the original setup I mentioned above! No issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Classic, Quality, January 13, 2008
This review is from: Everlast Wood Beam Heavy Bag Hanger (Sports)
This product is acceptable.

This is much easier to install if you have a good socket wrench.

The directions are written in extremely small type, and it is difficult to make out the diagrams. However, this is not a problem because, unless you are mechanically challenged, the item is self-explanatory. It is much easier to install the lag bolts into a wood rafter if you drill some small pilot holes first. A small hole will not reduce the holding power of the screw. The directions do not tell you this. They could be improved if Everlast were to tell you that this is an option, and instruct you what diameter hole was appropriate.

The nuts, bolts, and lock-washers are standard items that have been used without problems for a century. Another reviewer complained that they loosen up quickly, but I can only imagine that he has the lock washers in the wrong spots. If it is assembled according to the directions, and tightened sufficiently with a wrench, adjustable wrench, or socket wrench, it will remain tight. If you try to tighten it with pliers, you may have a hard time keeping it together, but that is not a fault of the item itself; pliers are not the correct tool for the job.

This item would be better if it included some good rubber bushings. Anything that reduces the vibration in your rafters would improve this item. Fortunately, it's easy to make something that will serve this purpose.

Summary: a tried-and-true method of hanging a punching bag.

EDIT: Another reviewer complained that the bolt's threads rub against the bag's hook. As he said, this makes extra noise. However, I found that the threads ground their way right through my swivel; it just broke tonight and the bag came crashing down. The quarter-inch thick metal swivel was ground through as if I had attacked it with a file. So yes, the threads on the bolt are definitely cut too far up, since they act like a file.

2.0 out of 5 stars Different Solution, August 14, 2011
This review is from: Everlast Wood Beam Heavy Bag Hanger (Sports)
I did not actually buy this item, but because people had some issues with it and had to alter it to get it to work, I found a different option.

I went to Home Depot and got a heavy duty tie-down D-ring for $9.79 ($3 cheaper than this product). Here is one similar being sold on Amazon, but with hipping it costs more: http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-D-Ring-Capacity-Tiedowns-Pack/dp/B006RWTN8K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362234907&sr=8-3&keywords=heavy+duty+tie-down+D-ring

I fastened it to the ceiling and hung the bag spring from it, then the bag from the spring. It works great. Won't have the problems with a nut and bolt coming loose like the heavy bag hanger seems to have. I used a couple of 3" heavy duty screws to secure it and it's not going anywhere. The thing is rated for 11,000 lbs and I don't think I can kick that hard. You may be able to get a d-ring cheaper online that will work, but I wanted to make sure it was really heavy duty.

3.0 out of 5 stars Requires a Nylon lock Nut to work!!, August 11, 2011
This review is from: Everlast Wood Beam Heavy Bag Hanger (Sports)
After a week of wondering why the bolt kept screwing lose every time I hit the bag; paranoid that the bag would come crashing down at any given second, and not knowing how to resolve the issue. I read a review to buy a Lock Nut. I went out and bought a Nylon lock Nut and that seems to have resolved the problem. Why did this not come with the right hardware to begin with? It was like 99 cents for 2 lock bolts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, October 7, 2009
This review is from: Everlast Wood Beam Heavy Bag Hanger (Sports)
I've had this installed on a floor joist in my basement for a year. It works great. I installed it & my 100lb bag in less than 30 minutes. I recommend wrapping the chains that connect to the bag and the bolts on the holder with duct tape. This will help reduce movement, noise and wear.

Warning: My wife informs me that whenever I use the bag, it makes the house shake. It is perfectly safe to install on the floor joist, but it can be loud, so be aware of that.

2.0 out of 5 stars It works, could be better., January 13, 2008
This review is from: Everlast Wood Beam Heavy Bag Hanger (Sports)
This product works fine, but the horizontal bolt's threads will rub on your bag's hook. Can be a little noisy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you need for a heavy bag, May 11, 2014
This review is from: Everlast Wood Beam Heavy Bag Hanger (Sports)
I hung my 80 lb heavy bag from the center beam in my home in the basement on this and it works great. Use a caribiner or a little S hook to get the right swing on the bag. It works great though. I get no crazy wild swing on the bag, it stays in a small arc and no vibration or bounce. Also because I used chains up to an S hook, I get ZERO SPIN. Let me repeat that since everyone's talking about SPIN.

I use an "S-HOOK" and four bag chains up to the S-HOOK so I get NO SPIN. None. ZERO. Bag doesn't spin, at all.

So if you got spin, then try 4 chains and an S-hook (a climbing caribiner works great too). What I mean by that is each chain goes to the S-Hook. If there's a swivel bolt at the top of your bag chains then bypass it. Just hook one link of each chain to the S-HOOK and you'll get no spin.

Also, if the main U bracket is spinning then you're not connecting it right. It has lock washers. Lock em down.

Bought two, one for the garage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, July 31, 2013
This review is from: Everlast Wood Beam Heavy Bag Hanger (Sports)
This thing can take a pounding and it's solid, I hung it on a cedar support beam and it holds a 150 pound bag I'm very impressed

4.0 out of 5 stars Clearing Up the Issues, April 8, 2012
This review is from: Everlast Wood Beam Heavy Bag Hanger (Sports)
I found the solutions the other reviewers mentioned in dealing with the problems of this item to be either unnecessarily complex or just plain incorrect.

I purchased the 1/4" longer bolt, two lock nuts and two flat washers that one reviewer recommended to fix the problem of the supplied nut backing off the bolt and sending your heavy bag crashing to the ground. The flat washers are a waste of time; you don't need them. Ditto for one of the two lock nuts.

I followed the other guy's advice of tightening down the supplied nut followed by the locking washer followed by the lock nut, this didn't work for me. With the supplied nut on bottom it would spin as the assembly rotated until it either backed into the lock nut or tightened itself fully, which was no good.

Then it dawned on me; "Self," I said, "Shouldn't the locking washer be on bottom to keep the supplied nut from tightening itself?" I trusted my instincts and voila, the assembly will now endlessly spin freely in either direction.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful because, being a mechanically inept person, I would have had much more difficulty figuring this out without their help. I just wanted others to know the least painful way of fixing the issues of this item so that it can work like it was intended to. Once that's done it's a great item but since it doesn't ship with all the necessary hardware I only gave it four stars.

Also, the clip that came with my heavy bag had a hard time fitting around the bolt it is supposed to attach to. I finally got it on after only a few cuss words but then I realized I hadn't wrapped the bolt yet to prevent the threads from chewing through the clip as others have mentioned it would. Knowing that it barely fit around the bolt without any wrapping on it I left the clip in place and wrapped around it. I used waterproof tape which should hold up just fine.

Everlast Wood Beam Heavy Bag Hanger