5,214 Reviews
 (3,928)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but I like springpad better
Phone: Droid X(Android 2.2.1, liberty 2.01)

I'll review evernote itself, and then review the alternatives...

Evernote Pros:
Published on April 21, 2011 by M. Stefanko

1.0 out of 5 stars invades privacy: they can use your data
I loved Evernotes interface & used it often until I realized their terms that they can use & modify any of your data. very disappointing & not worth it for loss of ownership of my data & privacy.
Published on February 26, 2012 by ZenScientist

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but I like springpad better, April 21, 2011
M. Stefanko (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evernote (App)
Phone: Droid X(Android 2.2.1, liberty 2.01)

I'll review evernote itself, and then review the alternatives...

Evernote Pros:
This is a great app, for a service that has been around for awhile. It works well, and the combination of this with the premium service is, well, powerful. I think it's clear at this point that evernote is a solid piece of software, making a lot of peoples lives easier. The searching capabilities, sharing, and ocr push it to the next level. The UI is simple to use, and it really i seasy to figure everything out.

Evernote Cons:
It has a pretty large install size for a note taking app, amazons version is way bigger than straight off the android market. And the terms of service, if actually read, would turn a lot of people off. The premium services are nice, but I don't know many who can justify $50 a year on them.

SPRINGPAD vs EVERNOTE vs CATCH:
That's right, evernote is not the only one at this block-party. It's been around so long, and well marketed, that I think services like springpad and catch are still in the midst of trying to get peoples attention. They all do basic note taking and organization well. I think most people would be satisfied with any of these services. It really might take you trying each, to find the one you like the most. Id like to urge people to try these other services, as I really do like springpad better than evernote. Catch has a pretty plain ui as well, and does work well, but it wasn't for me. If the premium services for evernote weren't $50/year it would be a no-brainer. But the fact of the matter is that they are. And for us, amateurs ;)...Who refuse to drop that kind of dough on something like evernote. The playing field becomes completely level...

Springpad's website has been great, easy to use..very customizable, and a lot of options. I was already in love with this service, then out of no where the company released a ground-breaking ui overhaul, especially concerning the springpad mobile app. It's amazing now, looks exactly like what appears on the website. Works extremely well, smooth, auto-syncing..and easy to share to and from it. The widgets in my opinion are better than evernotes, and i enjoy using this application a lot more as well. It has everything i'd ever want, Springpad ftw.

1.0 out of 5 stars invades privacy: they can use your data, February 26, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously?, February 25, 2012
This review is from: Evernote (App)
Are there seriously this many people reviewing this app so highly when it has no consideration or respect for the privacy of the users information? No one reads permissions nowadays? This app not only crosses that line but also takes from you without even needing what's being taken or at least provides an explanation for having access to! Shouldn't there be an option to allow these extras?! Why does it need my contacts? Why does it need to know all the accounts my device has used? What's it need to write that info somewhere else without informing me, asking for my permission given the circumstances, or informing me of where its going? etc. etc. This app either sucks or I must being missing out on whats worth giving up my personal info, my contacts' info, as well as the info of anyone who uses my device! Exp: You have this ingenious idea and have been working on it for months thinking hoping it'll payoff, then when you finish and present it, somehow, someway, all your work that you saved with this app word for word, someone else has claimed for there own... just one example. Wake up! Intruder or "Evernote"? Seriously!
If I could have given this no stars I would have!

And for the record: I reserve ALL rights to the submitted information above, only allowing it to be viewed, and not used in any way, shape, or form. 2/25/12.

1.0 out of 5 stars bad permissions, February 15, 2012
This review is from: Evernote (App)
Honestly I love the service. I think its great. But the direction that you are taking with these permissions is very worrying. I cant see a reason for half these perm's, much less my contacts or where I live. There is no acceptable reason for you to have this. I wont be using this product any more until this is resolved.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great app, not worth the terms of service., March 28, 2011
Brian T. (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Evernote (App)
Great app for organizing and keeping track of things as they happen, however the terms clearly states they can use, modify and distribute anything you upload for purposes of the site and sell to partners. Again, GREAT app... not worth it to me.

1.0 out of 5 stars privacy, December 31, 2011
This review is from: Evernote (App)
way to many permissions and invading your privacy and it should not be able to read the data in your phone

1.0 out of 5 stars INSANE PERMISSIONS!, April 3, 2012
This review is from: Evernote (App)
I wanted to try this based on the good
reviews, but the permissions are ridiculous! Why would any sane person actually use this app? Not happening...

1.0 out of 5 stars invasive permissions required, April 5, 2011
This review is from: Evernote (App)
I used to have Evernote on my iPhone when I was unaware of its invasive use of user data. I was going to het the app for my Eco until I read all of their unnecessary and invasive permission requirements. No thanks.

I'd rather pay a few dollars for an app than have it be free and invasive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would be zero stars if allowed., February 6, 2012
This review is from: Evernote (App)
VERY invasive as far as permissions go. Allowed me to write a note but will not let me access contents after I close it. My rating for this app is zero stars and I am deleting because it is defective and I like my privacy.

1.0 out of 5 stars memory like a fish, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Evernote (App)
Don't get me wrong, I love Evernote. however, my Kindle Fire just ran out of juice while I was taking a note and I lost the last 3 hours of notetaking. this would never happen on my iPad or on my desktop. What a terrible bug, making this app unreliable and worthless. How unfortunate. I guess we are expected to save and reopen a note every so often.

go ahead and get the app if you are a loyal evernote user. but be prepared to lose notes in the event of a minor catastrophe, such as a forced shut down by low battery.

Evernote
Evernote by Evernote Corp.
$0.00