Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation STEM

on April 21, 2011
Phone: Droid X(Android 2.2.1, liberty 2.01)

I'll review evernote itself, and then review the alternatives...

Evernote Pros:
This is a great app, for a service that has been around for awhile. It works well, and the combination of this with the premium service is, well, powerful. I think it's clear at this point that evernote is a solid piece of software, making a lot of peoples lives easier. The searching capabilities, sharing, and ocr push it to the next level. The UI is simple to use, and it really i seasy to figure everything out.

Evernote Cons:
It has a pretty large install size for a note taking app, amazons version is way bigger than straight off the android market. And the terms of service, if actually read, would turn a lot of people off. The premium services are nice, but I don't know many who can justify $50 a year on them.

SPRINGPAD vs EVERNOTE vs CATCH:
That's right, evernote is not the only one at this block-party. It's been around so long, and well marketed, that I think services like springpad and catch are still in the midst of trying to get peoples attention. They all do basic note taking and organization well. I think most people would be satisfied with any of these services. It really might take you trying each, to find the one you like the most. Id like to urge people to try these other services, as I really do like springpad better than evernote. Catch has a pretty plain ui as well, and does work well, but it wasn't for me. If the premium services for evernote weren't $50/year it would be a no-brainer. But the fact of the matter is that they are. And for us, amateurs ;)...Who refuse to drop that kind of dough on something like evernote. The playing field becomes completely level...

Springpad's website has been great, easy to use..very customizable, and a lot of options. I was already in love with this service, then out of no where the company released a ground-breaking ui overhaul, especially concerning the springpad mobile app. It's amazing now, looks exactly like what appears on the website. Works extremely well, smooth, auto-syncing..and easy to share to and from it. The widgets in my opinion are better than evernotes, and i enjoy using this application a lot more as well. It has everything i'd ever want, Springpad ftw.
4646 comments|877 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2012
I loved Evernotes interface & used it often until I realized their terms that they can use & modify any of your data. very disappointing & not worth it for loss of ownership of my data & privacy.
22 comments|213 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2012
Honestly I love the service. I think its great. But the direction that you are taking with these permissions is very worrying. I cant see a reason for half these perm's, much less my contacts or where I live. There is no acceptable reason for you to have this. I wont be using this product any more until this is resolved.
66 comments|728 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2011
Great app for organizing and keeping track of things as they happen, however the terms clearly states they can use, modify and distribute anything you upload for purposes of the site and sell to partners. Again, GREAT app... not worth it to me.
44 comments|551 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2013
This app has a set of very bad (invasive) permissions and the service in general has a disregard for privacy. On the one hand, they advertise Evernote as a way to "Remember everything." And the question has been asked repeatedly: "Everything? Really?" Look through the user forums and you will see that whenever that question is asked, a very vocal group of "evangelists" rise up and bat down privacy concerns as "paranoid" and "unfounded". Often, after that a few of them begin moaning about how badly the "evangelists" are treated.

If you were to store sensitive information in Evernote (such as credit card receipts, tax returns, medical data including prescription medications, et cetera), you might as well just scan it and post the data on the internet for all to see.

Further, by installing this app, you give Evernote permission to access your contacts (why would they need that?), to access and modify any of your data, and generally carte blanche access to your phone or tablet. There is no earthly reason that they need that level of access.

Evernote management has dismissed any privacy concerns, stating that they are not a priority, and their rabid userbase can and will attack you for daring to question this choice. The company is more interested in serving ads than serving their users. I even saw a post on their forum once from an "experienced" user who asked "Where did the ads go in the latest version? I miss them." I have never seen such a bizarre statement. It's like Stockholm Syndrome.

I highly recommend avoiding this app like the plague.
on February 25, 2012
Are there seriously this many people reviewing this app so highly when it has no consideration or respect for the privacy of the users information? No one reads permissions nowadays? This app not only crosses that line but also takes from you without even needing what's being taken or at least provides an explanation for having access to! Shouldn't there be an option to allow these extras?! Why does it need my contacts? Why does it need to know all the accounts my device has used? What's it need to write that info somewhere else without informing me, asking for my permission given the circumstances, or informing me of where its going? etc. etc. This app either sucks or I must being missing out on whats worth giving up my personal info, my contacts' info, as well as the info of anyone who uses my device! Exp: You have this ingenious idea and have been working on it for months thinking hoping it'll payoff, then when you finish and present it, somehow, someway, all your work that you saved with this app word for word, someone else has claimed for there own... just one example. Wake up! Intruder or "Evernote"? Seriously!
If I could have given this no stars I would have!

And for the record: I reserve ALL rights to the submitted information above, only allowing it to be viewed, and not used in any way, shape, or form. 2/25/12.
0Comment|220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2012
I wanted to try this based on the good
reviews, but the permissions are ridiculous! Why would any sane person actually use this app? Not happening...
11 comment|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2011
I used to have Evernote on my iPhone when I was unaware of its invasive use of user data. I was going to het the app for my Eco until I read all of their unnecessary and invasive permission requirements. No thanks.

I'd rather pay a few dollars for an app than have it be free and invasive.
0Comment|211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2012
VERY invasive as far as permissions go. Allowed me to write a note but will not let me access contents after I close it. My rating for this app is zero stars and I am deleting because it is defective and I like my privacy.
0Comment|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2011
way to many permissions and invading your privacy and it should not be able to read the data in your phone
0Comment|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse