5.0 out of 5 stars Tour de Force

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Stuffing
Published on December 21, 1999 by hoomd

5.0 out of 5 stars Tour de Force, June 4, 2003
This review is from: Everville (Paperback)
'Everville' could possibly be the best work Clive Barker has ever written. Although considered a sequel to 'The Great and Secret Show,' 'Everville' will stand on its own for most readers. TG&SS provides some important background material on, for example, the nature of the conflict between the inhabitants of Quiddity (the Dream Sea) and the humans here on Earth. The book overflows with Barker's imagery, and he presents vivid depictions of the Dream Sea and its otherworldly menace, the Iad Urobros. His characters are fleshed out in the extreme, and many rank with some of the most memorable in all of literature: The orphan-Maeve O'Connell, the religious skeptic-Harry D'Amour, and the unspeakably evil men vying for control of the portal to the Dream Sea above Everville, Kissoon and Tommy-Ray.
'Everville' tells the story of a cosmic battle taking place on Earth for control to a portal to the Dream Sea, Quiddity. This portal is open on a mountain peak above the sleepy Oregon city of Everville, founded by an orphan, Maeve O'Connell, and her husband from Quiddity, Coker Ammiano. The battle for control begins when the portal is opened, and takes place across the entire United States, from Everville to New York, as forces struggle to either close the portal, or keep it open, for unknown to humanity, an unspeakable evil is moving towards the Cosm (the area of the universe inhabited by humans), the Iad Urobros, described as "Chaos itself." Throughout its broad course, 'Everville' documents this struggle, and the multitude of people (there are over 50 principal characters) involved in it. Another tour-de-force from Clive Barker!

5.0 out of 5 stars The masterful Art Trilogy continues..., March 2, 2010
This review is from: Everville (Paperback)
A spectacular sequel to The Great and Secret Show and the second book of the Art, Everville continues the plot five years later, bringing many characters back into starring and bit roles. The brilliance of the book lies in the way it weaves (over a four hundred year span of time) a whole new story into the original while continuing the amazing writing, pacing, and characterisation of the first book. As the middle book of the trilogy, it steers clear of normal plotline conventions and works incredible twists into the already epic story, while continuing the searing apocalyptic vision of the first; the crushing horror, the tender dreams, the surreal sights, and most especially the representation of the human struggle at its realest, our fears and triumphs, conveyed through a horror fantasy masterpiece that hits home unrelentingly and undeniably. Old characters return alongside brilliant new ones who enrich and drive home the narrative, and together they create a new cast of extraordinary shades of morality, sexuality, belief, and violence. In order for this book to be truly understood and enjoyed, you definitely should read TG&SS before you read this.
The only downside, in the end, is having to wait for the last book of the trilogy to find out how this brilliant and massive tale concludes.

4.0 out of 5 stars There is not yet a FINAL book to this series (The ART Trilogy) - Long awaited, March 17, 2006
This review is from: Everville (Paperback)
4.1.14 - I thought I would update this old post...please see the comments section for an update.

I love Clive Barker and I am getting ready to go pick up his second book Everville. I just saw a question on here about the third book and thought I would give everyone a heads up.

It appears the third book is not out yet and will not necessarily be out any time soon. Please see the following link for his reasoning for this [...]

In a nutshell he says that the last book will be a monster and that it takes time to prepare to write this type of book. It also says that he has other series going on as well that take time. Too many ideas running through his head and that he needs to clone himself. Anyway - take a look at the link if you are interested but he says that he promises it will be out before the end of this century.....

Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars An expertly woven tale of our world and the next one over., November 12, 2009
This review is from: Everville (Paperback)
Everville is the sequel to The Great and Secret Show, and while I suppose you could read it without reading TGaSS first, I wouldn't recommend it. Many of the characters from TGaSS return, and Barker does a great job of juggling their stories with all the new people he introduces in Everville. True, some characters are given short thrift, but they have their parts to play in this novel and probably the planned Third Book of the Art as well.

The first hundred pages or so of Everville, however, deal not with the characters we know from TGaSS, but rather with some historical events that set the stage for not only the rest of the book but for the events of TGaSS as well. This beginning is slow going at first, but stick with it; the rest of the ride is well worth it.

What I really liked about Everville is that it explores the world of the Metacosm in much more detail, almost to the level of a fantasy novel, but keeps it grounded in our reality by having it always be seen through the eyes of mundane POV characters. In other words, fantastic things are happening to the characters, but it always feels like a story about the world you and I live in, not some alternate Earth in another dimension.

Everville had me racing to the end of the book to see how all our characters' lives intersect. Now I can't wait for more stories from this branch of the Clive Barker story tree.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost (but not quite) as good as the first, May 17, 2001
In Everville: The Second Book of the Art, Barker once again throws us into a mystical world of amazing possibilities. Like The Great and Secret Show the bizarre events are all the more fascinating because it's mostly set in our world (The general area of Oregon I grew up in, as a matter of fact). New characters are introduced and surprising fates await the characters from the first book. Also, the fascinating Harry D'Amour plays a much larger role. The book is filled with Barker's trademark mind-bending imagery and strange creatures. However, the book isn't quite as fast-moving as the first and drags on at times. Also, the world of Quiddity doesn't seem quite so mystical this time around. Fans of Barker and of the first book will still find it worthy to be on the same shelf as his other surreal epic fantasies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Ingenious, November 17, 2000
"axiom20" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everville (Paperback)
STOP! This is part two, the first book is The Great and Secret Show (which is not obvious to look at Everville in a local book store.) In fact, when reading it I myself didn't realize what it was a continuation of until about 100 pages in when a barage of characters came into the book I recognized. As so much of Barker's work does this delves heavily into bizarre occult fiction with its characters passing in between alternate universes/realities through strange passageways and many of the main characters nearly immortal. If you enjoyed the Great and Secret Show, you'll love this book and its a must read. This ranks high among the Barker collection of other such greats as Weaveworld, Imajica and Sacrament. Best for patient readers who enjoy long books with complex story lines. If you're idea of reading is short stories and comics, don't bother. But if you're into an adventure it is mandatory reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Stuffing, December 21, 1999
This review is from: Everville (Paperback)
I've learned recently that I've fallen victim to the classic blunder of reading the sequel before the original (The Great and Secret Show), which I absolutely must read, by the way! And I blame possibly this error for my lack of stars for this particular Barker masterpiece! Yes, it is a masterpiece, chocked full of imaginative characters and prose so well written it hurts to put it down and go (eventually) to sleep. But it became clear after a while that more was happening than I could keep pace with, including references to places, events and characters to which I haven't been introduced (from The G and S Show). Sadly, it was harder to appreciate the story line because of the feeling of "missing out", and that's a concept that novels should try and eliminate or at least tone down (I strongly feel that each book should be an entity able to exist on its own; like the Patricia Cornwell - Kay Scarpetta novels). So I lost track for a few (hundred) pages of action and backtrack themes, and now I regret wholly not reading part 1 first. He should have at least made that note on the cover! But I grew to love the main characters, and I was drawn in helplessly for the first two-thirds of the story, intrigued as I've never been since reading Weaveworld! I'll probably alter this review after I read The G & S Show, but for now, it's confusing to read on its own.

1.0 out of 5 stars Like having root canal.., July 17, 1997
By A Customer
How can I say this nicely? I know it's fantasy/horror, and maybe I just don't get the genre, but what the hey it's my review, right? I hated this book. It didn't make any kind of sense it's obtuse and it just plain stunk. Clive must have been on a real binge when he thought up this plot (or plod, as I see it). By the time I got 2/3's through it, I was hoping the Iad WOULD wipe everyone out and MY misery attempting to finish it. The best thing I CAN say about this book is, that it's over and on to something I like doing, like having a root canal. I had to give it a "1" because the rating system doesn't seem to have a "zero"

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the millenium. Read it and weep!, August 3, 1999
By A Customer
EVERVILLE is a remarkable book. Images of delicate beauty entwined with scenes of utter revulsion will leave you dizzy. Barker throws the reader from the sublime to the infernal and the way he does it is breathtaking. This is perhaps Barkers most extreme work,the peaks are higher than ever before,and the valleys deeper and more pitiless. A work of immense occult relevance,and for those of you not interested in that side of things, a brilliant story expertly told. It is the follow up to THE GREAT AND SECRET SHOW and there will be one more book in the series that will complete the "ART" trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does justice to The Great and Secret Show, September 14, 1999
By A Customer
I just reviewed The Great and Secret Show and thought I'd come here and speak my peace about this one as well. It is a brilliant continuation of the first book of the art. This novel explores the origins of some of the characters from the first book and goes even farther in it's descriptions of things like the dream sea and the Iad. We learn new things and are given a taste of what is to come in part three (I can't wait). If imaginative literature is your thing, then you'd best read the books of the art.

Everville
Everville by Clive Barker (Hardcover - Oct. 1994)
Used & New from: $0.01